• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

duckroll

What a total waste for Mercedes. If Rosberg didn't sit that out, he would be #1 or #2 instead of #11. But for Button it didn't really matter since it would be a difference of #10 or #11 anyway.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It will be interesting to see if Mercedes put Rosberg on medium tyre, how will he cope with both Ferraris

NHale

Massa ahead of Alonso...

Honestly, what are they doing?

They are doing their best to lose even when they have a slightly competitive car. They were fighting with Raikkonen in every qualify, so they could have been 4th. Instead they are starting 7th and 8th. Amazing.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
They are doing their best to lose even when they have a slightly competitive car. They were fighting with Raikkonen in every qualify, so they could have been 4th. Instead they are starting 7th and 8th. Amazing.

They will try to go for long first stint and with softer tyres at the end. I expect Rosberg on similar tactic. This could be quite nasty at start, because all drivers on Soft will fly past them.

Ce-Lin

ALO on Spanish TV, "I'd rather settle for 8th on mediums than 7th on softs, tomorrow with full tanks the tyre choice will make a difference, that's our hope"

asked about Massa finishing ahead of him, "he was a bit happier on the accelerator" lol, bitter ALO, at least he should provide some entertainment tomorrow.

Lach

I'd love to have Ron Howard comentate a F1 Race! (Arrested Development Style)

Quite an improvement by Sauber and I expect them to improve in the race...

Addnan

I'd love to have Ron Howard comentate a F1 Race! (Arrested Development Style)

Quite an improvement by Sauber and I expect them to improve in the race...

I think that is just Hulk getting an amazing lap together. Look at his team mate, still down in 14th or 15th. Not expecting much in the race

InsideFerrari said:
"We took a decision thinking only to the race" - said Domenicali - "Anyway we've a competitive car, as you can see from Q2 results"

So they're either really smart, or really stupid. We'll find out tomorrow.

Salamndar

Seen the result, where did Hamilton pull that from after p2 and p3?
Great run by Hamilton could not have seen that coming after free practice 2 and 3...hell even p2 and p3 were not so good for him...then baaaaaam got the pole position...amazing.

Still the race is another story especially that he will fight the RBR alone while Rosberg has to need his way from p11 and fight the Ferraris and the Lotus....

Igo

The Ferrari's always gain a couple positions at the start anyway so I don't think they lost anything with this strategy.

DBT85

Just watching now. With 2:30 to go Rosberg was fine and then it all went wrong. Calamitous from Mercedes. 5 tenths off the q2 p1 time.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
probably really stupid

Yeah, especially if we look how bad they were on medium compound. Maybe they are counting on higher temps during the race...

The Ferrari's always gain a couple positions at the start anyway so I don't think they lost anything with this strategy.
Starting on medium compound will compromise the start compared to drivers on soft tyre. Mediums are harder to heat and not enough heat in tyres means weaker start

Also, we have relative short straight into the dropping right first corner, so being inside the group will be quite fun, with Crashjean & co on your side.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Wow, Crashjean is 5th? RBR better watch their backs... also, it will be interesting to see, which tyres will Button and Hulk used in first stint - I think Button will use soft and Hulk medium.

Addnan

Wow, Crashjean is 5th? RBR better watch their backs... also, it will be interesting to see, which tyres will Button and Hulk used in first stint - I think Button will use soft and Hulk medium.
He could have been even higher. Made quite a few mistakes in sector 1 on his fastest lap. Looking good this weekend.

Think they will both have to use medium, either way they will be stuck behind the Ferrari. No point going soft and then needing to pit and then getting into the back of the field.

Enjoyed being at the track today, it's lightyears ahead of Monza in terms of facilities and general quality. The only real negative is that there's really lot a not of atmosphere. Am hoping tomorrow will be a little better. Even after the final laps in quali there was only a little clapping and cheering.

Funnily enough there was far more interest in Hamilton getting pole than Vettel. I guess people really like Mercedes over here. :)

f0rk

Enjoyed being at the track today, it's lightyears ahead of Monza in terms of facilities and general quality. The only real negative is that there's really lot a not of atmosphere. Am hoping tomorrow will be a little better. Even after the final laps in quali there was only a little clapping and cheering.

Funnily enough there was far more interest in Hamilton getting pole than Vettel. I guess people really like Mercedes over here. :)

Huh, people get pretty excited over quali at Silverstone. Even last year where the Brits were nowhere.
Where are you staying?

dubc35

The stands looked pretty empty on TV, wouldn't have expected that with VET and ROS doing so well.

Leunam

diebpjw.png

Big Takeover said:
Sadly we only got six laps of Vettel vs. Hamilton last week, but the back-to-back means we wouldn't have to wait long to see these two titans square off again. Both are highly motivated to win the German Grand Prix, and right now there's a genuine sense of the eve of battle. You can be sure these guys will be crossing paths on Sunday, and shaping up to be absolutely spectacular.

2012 Race Summary

As there was no race at Hockenheim in 2011, 2012 is the first year that the drag reduction system (DRS) and Pirelli tyres featured at the circuit. The DRS detection zone for the race was located at turn four, with the activation zone located 260 metres (850 ft) further down the road, so that it could be used on the approach to the hairpin. Tyre supplier Pirelli chose to run with the most commonly run tyre combination of the year to date, and brought its white-banded medium compound tyre as the harder "prime" tyre and the yellow-banded soft compound tyre as the softer "option" tyre to the Hockenheim circuit.

Romain Grosjean took a five-place grid penalty after his team discovered a terminal issue in his gearbox. Nico Rosberg and Mark Webber were also given five-place penalties for gearbox changes. Sergio Pérez was given a five-place grid penalty for impeding Fernando Alonso and Kimi Räikkönen in the second qualifying session.

Dani Clos took over Narain Karthikeyan's HRT during the first free practice session. Jules Bianchi replaced Paul di Resta at Force India, while Valtteri Bottas once again drove Bruno Senna's Williams for the same session.

Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso started the 67-lap race from pole position and won the race.

gDVtexY.png

Circuit Info

[Click for Onboard]

XR8gX.png

Laps
60​
Circuit length
5.148 km (3.199 mi)​
Race length
308.863 km (191.919 mi)​
Lap Record
Michael Schumacher - Ferrari - 2004 - 1:29.468​
Most Wins (Drivers)
Michael Schumacher (4)​
Most Wins (Constructors)
Ferrari (22)​

Previous Winners & Pole Positions

2012 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - Ferrari
Pole: Fernando Alonso - Ferrari - 1:40.621​
2011 - Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Mark Webber - Red Bull Renault - 1:30.079​
2010 - Winner: Sebastian Vettel
Pole: Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Renault - 1:13.791​
2009 - Winner: Mark Webber - Red Bull Renault
Pole: Mark Webber - Red Bull Renault - 1:32.230​
2008 - Winner: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes
Pole: Lewis Hamilton - McLaren Mercedes - 1:15.666​
2007 - Race Not Held

2006 - Winner: Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
Pole: Kimi Räikkönen - McLaren Mercedes - 1:14.070​
2005 - Winner: Fernando Alonso - Renault
Pole: Kimi Räikkönen - McLaren Mercedes - 1:14.320​

Video Highlights

Highlights from the 1961 German Grand Prix

Highlights from the 1954 Nurburgring GP

Changes from 2012

-The last time the Nurburgring hosted the German Grand Prix was in 2011. The circuit is fundamentally unchanged since then.

GP Facts

-Johnny Herbert’s final F1 victory came at the Nürburgring in 1999. It was the first and only win for Stewart Grand Prix. After being sold to Jaguar and then Red Bull Racing it won at the circuit again in 2009. That victory was Mark Webber’s first in F1.

-Triple World Champion Sebastian Vettel has a rare blind spot when it comes to his home race. He has yet to win a German Grand Prix. He also has yet to win in Hungary and the United States. At the season start Canada was the only other race on that list, and Vettel won that comfortably in June.

-Finishing fifth in the British Grand Prix last week established a new record for Kimi Räikkönen. The Finn has now scored points in 25 consecutive races, beating the 24-race run Michael Schumacher set between the Hungarian Grand Prix of 2001 and the Malaysian Grand Prix of 2003. Räikkönen’s last failure to score was the Chinese Grand Prix of 2012. It is his only failure since coming back into F1. His record, however, has been set in an era where points are awarded down to tenth. Schumacher’s sequence started with points to sixth, and finished with points to eighth.

-Ferrari have an impressive German Grand Prix record with a mighty 21 victories, well ahead of nine wins for Williams and eight for McLaren. Perhaps surprisingly, Ferrari’s longest winning sequence was three consecutive races between 1951-53: two for Alberto Ascari followed by a final F1 victory for Nino Farina.

-Michael Schumacher, with four, has the most German Grand Prix wins of any driver in the F1 World Championship era. Schumacher’s victory in 1995 was the first for a German national at his home grand prix since Rudolf Caracciola’s final win. Caracciola won the German Grand Prix six times between 1926-1939. Five of Caracciola’s wins came on the Nordschleife. The first, however, was on the AVUS circuit.

8XgC2br.png

Drivers Championship Standings

4ppdT3G.png

Constructors Championship Standings

TFiI1Uo.png

Fantasy Championship Standings

tQXgxvA.png

Shaneus

BELIEVE

Edit: BTW, if Vettel's yet to win his home race, how come it says he won in Germany in 2010? Is it because Nurburgring is considered his home race while Hockenheim isn't?

Shaneus

Knowing Webber's starts, his (arguable) advantage of starting on the clean part will be destroyed within the first five seconds
Fair call... but say hypothetically he got exactly the same start as Vettel (I know, just stay with me here) would he be in a better spot? From memory, this is the track with that tight right hairpin at the start... is pole on the left or right hand side of the track?

Hackbert

ah eah, race sunday. rejoice, i am gonna spare you guys my merc comments ^^. Off to a bike tour, will watch @ friends home. Have fun. If not Hamilton, than i vote for Webber or Kimi as winner

Can anyone help with regard to a live(ish) timing site which will run on mobile devices (no flash / java)? Bernie fucking over Fanavision / Kangaroo TV has ruined the experience at the track. Most of us had no idea what was going on (big screen was too small / too far away to see lap times).

More annoying is that the official app requires wifi so that's a bunch of money down the drain.

Hackbert

Can anyone help with regard to a live(ish) timing site which will run on mobile devices (no flash / java)? Bernie fucking over Fanavision / Kangaroo TV has ruined the experience at the track. Most of us had no idea what was going on (big screen was too small / too far away to see lap times).

More annoying is that the official app requires wifi so that's a bunch of money down the drain.

i guess , that you than have an official f1 account or whatever is needed for this App?!
I found this as an alternative :
https://code.google.com/p/f1lt/

Made me laugh:

Q: What factor could play to Red Bulls advantage? Adrian Newey?
KR: There is not just that one thing. I think there are things that matter with regards to racing and also some that are outside of racing. And it is never one thing that makes me make a decision. It’s the overall package. As surprising as this might sound, I look at the details! (laughs)

Q: Some teams would kill to get Adrian Newey on their payroll and you could be given the chance to drive his car…
KR: …I’ve raced cars that he has designed! At Red Bull they want me but I have other choices - so time will tel

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2013/7/14775.html

It's like people forget how subpar or even shitty the Newey's cars were 10 years ago.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There are strong rumors that Red Bull is interested in Nurburgring complex.

They have too much opposition around former A1-ring (now Red Bull Ring) in Austria, so they cannot use it as much as they want, so Mateschitz is looking for another race track in Europe.

Top Bottom