• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

Leunam

We've hit the 20k post limit for a thread with one last race to go that's coming up this weekend. If we need a new thread for maybe 200 more posts at the most I'll put it up tonight.

Grosjean has been ace so far this second part of the season. Wish he could be in a competitive car next year.

From what i hear lotus have less budget but their engine is one of the best right?

Lotus haven't got an engine for the 2014 season, they're skint and need investment before signing a Renault engine deal.

Super Maldonado to the rescue!

pants

Adrian Sutil says he won't speak with Pastor Maldonado about their US GP coming together as the Williams driver is "on a different planet."

Sutil's outing at the Circuit of the Americas came to a premature end on Sunday when the two clashed on the opening resulting in the Force India spearing into the barriers.

Explaining the incident, he told Autosport: "On a very big straight, with a lot of space left and right, for some reason I got a hit on the left tyre in the middle of the straight and lost the car.

"It was very shocking. You'd never believe something like that, but it happened.

"There was no reason to be so close. I was on my line and I didn't do anything different.

"I was staying straight with my steering wheel and to the left and right there was a lot of space. I don't understand why someone then hits you.

"There's like an emergency area around him, you have to give room for two cars, not just one."

The German continued saying that Maldonado, who is set to leave Williams at the end of this season, is one of the "more dangerous" drivers to go up against

"Whenever you get close to him, he brakes 50 metres later than everyone else and he's sometimes over the limit.

"It's more dangerous to drive against certain drivers. Of course many drivers have had incidents with him.

"I think for him to back off sometimes a little bit would be quite good. It gets to a stage where it could be dangerous."

However, he ruled out having a chat with the 28-year-old, saying: "I don't see a big point in talking. I've tried it several times, but he's on a different planet.

"In the incident at Spa, he went straight into Paul [di Resta] and said it was our fault...

"For me, it's done and over."

Crashtor Maldonado'

Coldsnap

Another reason to like Grosjean. I was reading Jalopnik and saw this on the F1 discussion post from a reader -

XfzYLFb.jpg

Meanwhile those of us lucky to be traveling from Austin to Houston for a layover were greeted by a familiar face!!!! The man of the hour Mr. Roman Grosjean!!!! He was seriously on will call, I didn't know Lotus was that in need of cash. He got a seat, which was literally supposed to be right behind me and my wife, but another Lotus fan in 1st class gave him his seat! We also got the Flight Attendant to do a big Congratulations over the speakers and the entire plane erupted in applause and cheers! We were told by the son of the man who gave up his seat that he got super red from it. It was pretty awesome and he was super nice to all the guys geeking out over him, including me!

Seriously his seat was 37c, mine was 36c and we were the last two rows on the plane.

dubc35

Anyone know di Resta's status for next year? He seemed to be the up and comer around Singapore last year but seemingly non-existent all year (sans Spa Q3).

NHale

Anyone know di Resta's status for next year? He seemed to be the up and comer around Singapore last year but seemingly non-existent all year (sans Spa Q3).

Franchitti's replacement at IndyCar? That was the latest rumor.

While everything at F1 changes, it seems like he's out of a Force India seat, so the future seems quite bleak for him. For someone that always talked like he was the best driver on the paddock, this must be hard.

paskowitz

Franchitti's replacement at IndyCar? That was the latest rumor.

While everything at F1 changes, it seems like he's out of a Force India seat, so the future seems quite bleak for him. For someone that always talked like he was the best driver on the paddock, this must be hard.

I would love to see him replace Dario. Moving from F1 to Indy may seem like a downgrade, but filling Dario's seat kinda softens the blow.

Wow, an F1 team flying their driver coach. Good on Grosjean taking it in stride. It is also class on the Lotus fan for giving him his first class seat. Hopefully he gets a signed team shirt or something in the mail...if they can afford the postage.

FuturusX

they were dangerous though. we all remember silverstone.

Indeed...but no denying that it played into Red Bulls hand. The competitive edge between teams was lost. Having said that I am sure other factors were at play. I salute Vettel and the team for an incredible job.

I like safety - so no complaints here.

Novak

any rumors about next year cars or it is too soon?
I am especially interested about McLaren 2014 car, but on other hand I guess it can't be worse than this year car :/

Probably the best option for the team's short term survival, so you can hardly complain. Plus he's a bloody efficient entertainment machine, that one. Can you imagine what his attitude will be like if Lotus somehow manage to supply him with a decent car next year?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Not a suprise,
Quantum was shown to be a total con but the F1 media was afraid to report as such in case it scares off future investors.

Now I bet we will see some articles saying it was all a scam from the beginning.

NHale

Eddie Jordan was right again.

The 3-year deal is not that shocking. The PDVSA money becomes a guaranteed deal and it's a lot of money.

reddit user = 1. Scammer = 0

Good for Maldanado I suppose.

To be honest, if he can curb his roid rage and get a decent car, he can be pretty disruptive to the field with his speed.

Pimpwerx

I haven't posted in a few weeks, but haven't missed a bit of action. Part of it is work and sickness taking me away from watching the races live, but part of it is frustration with the season, as well. What can I say? I respect Vettel's talent, but even I've lost a bit of my fire due to his winning everything. Boy...being on the other side of the coin sure does suck. I was a Schumacher fan, and it was all peaches and cream for over a decade. LOL!

Anyway, I'm actually happy the season is coming to an end. It means a fresh start is ahead, and new (false) hope. Why oh why couldn't Newey have joined Mercedes instead of Red Bull? PEACE.

Novak

I am huge McLaren fan (since eighties) and MS era was not as half bad as what is going on now.
At least back then we had interesting drivers like Montoya,Mika, tyre wars, and more relaxed rules for car and engine design.

And refueling!

This year would suck for me even if McLaren was in top 3 because of their drivers. I was not big fan of LH but he was better and more excitig driver then these two. So this year for the first time i was cheering for Mclaren as a team, but not for the drivers.
It was for Webber, Kimi and LH. Even for Alonso and I would mind have him back in McL.

A year to forget. Hopefuly McLren will get their shit together next year.

Top Bottom