• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2013 Season |OT| End of the Webber Era

duckroll

Lol Webber. :(

LOL VETTEL! :D

Overall pretty damn boring for a qualifying session. I'm not a fan of the tire "strategy" thing. Much preferred actual fuel strategy in the past.

he can choose now.
Can someone clarify the tire situation for me. You have to start the race with the last tires you used in quali, right? How is saving the tires for a lap or two during quali worth giving up pole or a better grid place? And not putting in a lap in Q3 like Vettel did allows him to choose whatever tires he wants?

I still have yet to fully understand how tire strategy works.

Shaneus

Lol Webber. :(

LOL VETTEL! :D

Overall pretty damn boring for a qualifying session. I'm not a fan of the tire "strategy" thing. Much preferred actual fuel strategy in the past.
Me neither. What pisses me off more is how Pirelli actually offered to supply an entire set of tyres for Q3 but RBR and at least one other team (can't recall who) knocked the idea back. Worst thing to happen.

kiyomi

Can someone clarify the tire situation for me. You have to start the race with the last tires you used in quali, right? How is saving the tires for a lap or two during quali worth giving up pole or a better grid place? And not putting in a lap in Q3 like Vettel did allows him to choose whatever tires he wants?

I still have yet to fully understand how tyre strategy works.

Because you only have to start with the set of tyres you qualified on if you complete a timed lap. Thems the rules.

As for strategy - the soft tyres are rubbish at China this weekend. Vettel and Button are banking on the frontrunners having to pit early without getting a big gap. The medium will be a better race tyre.

Adamm

I still have yet to fully understand how tyre strategy works.

Vettel didn't complete a lap so he can pick whatever tires he wants.
RBR probably believed that he wouldn't get pole anyway, so they planned to give up a few positions for better tires.

Although I think vettel was suppose to complete his lap, but messed it up

inPMgs1DHAiFz.gif

duckroll

Vettel didn't complete a lap so he can pick whatever tires he wants.
RBR probably believed that he wouldn't get pole anyway, so they planned to give up a few positions for better tires.

Although I think vettel was suppose to complete his lap, but messed it up

Sounds like a typical day at Red Bull. There was a plan, maybe. But Vettel might or might not have fucked it up. But it's still okay, because it all plays to his advantage in the end. STORY OF VETTEL'S LIFE.

Ce-Lin

I still have yet to fully understand how tire strategy works.

everyone ahead of Vettel and Button (and Mark) will have to pit early in the race and deal with traffic, on the other hand they can stay out longer and make the most of the harder compound, but starting 7th and below in the middle of the pack is always a risk... we'll see.

John_B

Nice to see some genuine respect between Hamilton and Button. That Mercedes move does not seem so bad at all. Mercedes could be in the battle to the end if they can keep their development up to par. Interesting season so far.

everyone ahead of Vettel and Button (and Mark) will have to pit early in the race and deal with traffic, on the other hand they can stay out longer and make the most of the harder compound, but starting 7th and below in the middle of the pack is always a risk... we'll see.
They'll also get to use the faster tyre when they're much lighter on fuel if they feel they need a third stop.

Fantomex

I think one thing we are all overlooking is who Vettel and Button have right behind them. That middle of the pack is always so overzealous to make that first turn!

Ce-Lin

Alonso' pitwall engineer said they were trying to get a decent position without destroying the tyres, man what a bs Pirelli pulling here, not even in Q3 drivers are pushing to the max, hope Webber storms through the field tomorrow, he's not that far behind Vettel, will there be blood ?

edit: rumors say Webber's car doesn't have enough fuel left for testing (probably)... man, what is this...

Fantomex

Alonso' pitwall engineer said they were trying to get a decent position without destroying the tyres, man what a bs Pirelli pulling here, not even in Q3 drivers are pushing to the max, hope Webber storms through the field tomorrow, he's not that far behind Vettel, will there be blood ?

It depends, he will either be ruled to start 14th or last.

AcridMeat

Banned
Webbs is the better person, always has been. Unless by blood you mean passing him, which I could only hope.

Kimi seems to be worried about sector 2. Didn't look optimistic. usually he says something in the line of "we know we have a better car in the race, so we'll see what happens"

kiyomi

Kimi seems to be worried about sector 2. Didn't look optimistic. usually he says something in the line of "we know we have a better car in the race, so we'll see what happens"

At least for his sake S2 is hard to get overtaken in or followed, if he starts to struggle.

Looking forward to this one.

Ce-Lin

according to De La Rosa, Lewis' tyres look already gone, that's why he wasn't exactly jumping with joy, maybe the top 5 realized the better strategy was that of Vettel and Button ?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
about Lewis' tyres or top 5 strategy ?
Tyres. He was asked how he feels about this strategy and tyre wear and he said that is all according to team predicitons, so both drivers can do well tomorrow. But as we know, everybody will tell that his team is in great condition (DLR for Ferrari, Lauda for Mercedes) ;)

Also Nico could be 2nd, but he messed up entry into last corner and lost around 0.200

Ce-Lin

Tyres. He was asked how he feels about this strategy and tyre wear and he said that is all according to team predicitons, so both drivers can do well tomorrow. But as we know, everybody will tell that his team is in great condition (DLR for Ferrari, Lauda for Mercedes) ;)

Also Nico could be 2nd, but he messed up entry into last corner and lost around 0.200

true ! I was surprised not to see Nico up there with Hammy, now I understand, Merc is doing excellent this season, if they can keep with the rest at the development race we have a pretty interesting season ahead, except for the shameful tyres !

Zeknurn

A great lap by Lewis, Mercedes showing that they have great pace on this track, however I don't think the tyres will last through the race for them. I think it's going to come down to Räikkönen, Vettel and possibly Alonso. Kimi looked uneven in Q1 and Q2 but got it absolutely right for Q3. It looks like the suspension changes made by Lotus paid off.

Remarkable job by Ricciardo yet again. If he keeps it up we might just see him replace Webber at Red Bull for next season.

What happened to Force India? It doesn't look like they have the pace this weekend, hopefully they will be able to make something out of the high tyre degradation.

DBT85

Not seen Quali yet but by all accounts the action was muted because of the tyres.

If they want to have a Quali tyre then have a Quali tyre, don't let people attending Practise and Quali get short changed on action because the tyres are falling apart.

GJ Lewis, hope he can turn it into a victory.

Jibbed

Button is such a classy guy, seems genuinely chuffed that Hamilton got pole.

Also, I would like to chime in on the tyres situation for qualifying... I know the FIA is trying to save costs and everything, but the teams should be given 2-3 sets of dedicated qualifying tyres which have nothing to do with the race the following day. 3 cars not even bothering with a lap in Q3 is disgraceful.

jey_16

Banned
Button is such a classy guy, seems genuinely chuffed that Hamilton got pole.

Also, I would like to chime in on the tyres situation for qualifying... I know the FIA is trying to save costs and everything, but the teams should be given 2-3 sets of dedicated qualifying tyres which have nothing to do with the race the following day. 3 cars not even bothering with a lap in Q3 is disgraceful.

just get rid of the stupid rule where you have to start the race on tyres that you set your fastest lap on, it's a joke. They would still have to use both types of tyres during the race anyway

Shaneus

Remarkable job by Ricciardo yet again. If he keeps it up we might just see him replace Webber at Red Bull for next season.
Prediction: Vettel leaves this season, goes somewhere. Webber stays on, Ricciardo moves into Vettel's spot, Webber becomes his mentor and we have a team of two Australians :)

Shaneus

I think Pirelli offered the teams a set of quali tyres, but it was turned down to keep the budget low.
Yup, I mentioned that earlier... but I don't think it was a budget thing. Apparently all but a couple of teams accepted it... one of the exceptions being RBR, strangely enough.

Prediction: Vettel leaves this season, goes somewhere. Webber stays on, Ricciardo moves into Vettel's spot, Webber becomes his mentor and we have a team of two Australians :)

Sounds more like a shaneus masturbation fantasy than prediction.

Lol at Kimi during press Conf. He just seems to wake up in a "get fucked" mood on a given day.

Top Bottom