• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT| Who Will Win? Nobody Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Italian press reporting Brawn heading back to Ferrari as team boss with Marchionne to replace Montezemolo.

dubc35

I'm looking forward to this weekend and the rest of the season. After four years of similar seasons this one is shaping up nicely! Monza and Suzuka out of the next three (sorry Singapore) as well!

Chris R

I'm looking forward to this weekend and the rest of the season. After four years of similar seasons this one is shaping up nicely! Monza and Suzuka out of the next three (sorry Singapore) as well!

Eh Singapore is nice enough now that they somewhat fixed the chicane. Could be better, but it isn't TERRIBLE like other tracks coming up might be.

dubc35

Eh Singapore is nice enough now that they somewhat fixed the chicane. Could be better, but it isn't TERRIBLE like other tracks coming up might be.
It isn't terrible. I guess I was more just saying Monza and Suzuka are in a different league.

Shaneus

You'd really have thought there were enough good, "traditional" F1 circuits around the world without having all these Tilke abortions, wouldn't you? :(

Goldrusher

As the Sauber F1 Team and the Swiss watch manufacturer Certina celebrate their ten-year partnership, Certina will introduce a limited edition of its DS-2 chronograph. On Thursday, 4th September at 17:00 hrs (CEST), the exclusive watches will be presented in our paddock hospitality in Monza. As part of this event, the management and the drivers of the Sauber F1 Team will receive the first pieces. In addition, the anniversary will be acknowledged with a special Certina branding on the C33s during the weekend in Monza.

saub-3.jpg

251223.jpg

http://www.sauberf1team.com/en/season/news/detail-view/-/vorschau-2014-grosser-preis-von-italien/

Goldrusher

More build-up photos here:

http://www.formule1.nl/media-library/images/grand-prix-van-italie-2014-voorbereiding/
&
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/09/04/2014-italian-grand-prix-build-pictures/
&
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-photos/10033/2014-italian-formula-1-grand-prix/

Mario Andretti visits Monza for the first time since 1983.

Racing legend and 1978 Formula 1 world champion Mario Andretti returned to Monza today for the first time in 31 years, bringing an American feel to the paddock in promotion of the United States Grand Prix.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.co...i-visits-monza-for-the-first-time-since-1983/

I don't think anyone has more connections than Mario. Everyone knows him, and he knows everyone.

Also JPM is back in the house, apparently the guest of Frank whom he's remained pretty close with.

I don't think anyone has more connections than Mario. Everyone knows him, and he knows everyone.

Also JPM is back in the house, apparently the guest of Frank whom he's remained pretty close with.
Dude is only 38 and he already has extremely visible grey spots. Wish he had more racecraft in his prime, the man had pretty awesome raw speed and a big set of balls when it came to overtaking. He should have walked away from F1 with at least 1 world championship.

Zeknurn

@pitlanetalk: Fernando Alonso refused McLaren offer a few days ago, while Vettel is in deep negotiations with them for a 2-year deal. #F1
#Formula1
@pitlanetalk: Sebastian Vettel wants performance guarantees from McLaren on their Honda PU. Deal is 1 year + 1 year option if clauses are not met. #F1
@pitlanetalk: Also talk of a pre-contract: if McLaren-Honda are in the Top 3 in the WCC next year, Vettel will join in 2016 with a 2-year deal. #F1

Hamilton looking good. This is where he loses out though, of he was at a rival team Rosberg wouldn't get a look at this data and would be working from his own relatively poor position rather than being gifted the lap data that gives him 7 tenths.

Dead Man

Dude is only 38 and he already has extremely visible grey spots. Wish he had more racecraft in his prime, the man had pretty awesome raw speed and a big set of balls when it came to overtaking. He should have walked away from F1 with at least 1 world championship.
Careful youngster. Some of us had had the luck to have distinguished features from a rather younger age.

;)

Ark

I hope the FP1 pace is representative of what we can expect on Sunday. I'd love to see Hamilton win with Button second.

I agree with Zomg on this one though, Rosberg will just copy Hamilton's data like after Malaysia.

Sergio Machionne set to replace Montezemolo, Brawn to make shock return and replace Mattiacci

So with Hammy visiting Ferrari, him and Mercedes ceasing contract negotiations, Wolff saying they could change driver lineup and now Brawn rejoining Ferrari means Hammy is going to Ferrari next year.

Kimi into retirement.

Just like Nico with his secret Whatsapp messages I think Lewis needs to be smart and sandbag in FP1/2, show some pace in FP3 and go all out in qualifying so it's too late for Nico to copy anything.

As it stands it is a one way deal, Lewis is faster, he is better on tyres and he is better on fuel consumption, the data only flows from Lewis to Nico and that isn't because Nico's garage are hiding anything, it's because there is nothing to hide. This sharing of data only benefits one side of the team. There hasn't been a clear cut case where Nico has been faster and Lewis has had to break out his lap data to get answers on why, a couple of corners sure, but nothing like Malaysia or even Montreal. where from being 2 tenths down in P1/2 and 5 tenths in P3, Rosberg magically caught up in qualifying.

Because of Mercedes team policy they are biased towards the slower driver, so it's probably not so much that they want Rosberg to win (though Toto saying they may need to change the driver line up and having already signed Rosberg on a long term deal is worrying) but for the faster driver not to build up too big an advantage. Whether that faster driver is Lewis or Alonso wouldn't make a difference and if the slower driver was Button or Massa I don't think that would make a difference either.

What it does mean though is if Lewis leaves or is forced out by Toto, Mercedes may struggle to sign a super quick driver having seen how the slower driver benefits with no gain for the faster one.

Hasney

Mercedes using the Hungary engine with fire damage at the most engine demanding track.

wait-what.jpg

Ofcourse it wont start now, this is hilariously bad.

For practice. I don't doubt there will be a fresh one in there by tomorrow.

Engine count is tough, teams have got to be frugal or face grid penalties.

mclem

I've had grey strands since my late 20's, and it's been spreading ever since, although I'm still largely brown at 34. I do, however, have a very thick head of hair, so there's no baldness (Dad is much the same - went grey fairly young, although that was possibly linked to a thyroid operation, and still has a full head of white hair even now he's the far side of 60. Makes it very easy to pick him out of a crowd!)

Fox Mulder

For practice. I don't doubt there will be a fresh one in there by tomorrow.

Engine count is tough, teams have got to be frugal or face grid penalties.

why should Mercedes care about grid penalties for going over the count though. Hamilton has stormed from the back multiple times now.

Hasney

why should Mercedes care about grid penalties for going over the count though. Hamilton has stormed from the back multiple times now.

Heh, I'm sure they'd prefer him to get on the front rather than get mixed up in midfield at the start where there could be incidents.

Aiii

So not worth it

This is Monza though, you'd be hard pressed to overtake half or more of the grid on this track.

Hasney

This is Monza though, you'd be hard pressed to overtake half or more of the grid on this track.

And not only that, you burn an engine just for practice and then you're on the edge for yet more penalties at other races like Singapore.

Orgun

Hoooboy Button's attempted overtake into the first chicane could have been nasty, hope that doesn't happen during the race...unless he hits Rosberg on the way then i'm ok with it :D

cmr-94

Once again the tires are too hard for monza. another one-stop race here. means pole is even more important as the mercs wont be able to go on alternate strategies.

Everyone is faster than Ericsson.

You can't really compare him to Merhi in FP1.

During the first stint Ericsson was faster.

Then they put a different rear wing on Ericsson's car. I don't know if he had the new floor that Lotterer had at Spa on as well but if you have a recording of FP1 I suggest you look at the slo-mo showing Ericsson at about 16 minutes left of the session. I can't remember seeing an F1-car "wobble" like that so something obviously wasn't working.

His front-tires was gone after just a few laps so he didn't run any more.

I'm not saying he is a fantastic driver compared to others but you can't just look at the quickest FP-times and draw conclusions.

TCRS

Banned
Lee McKenzie ‏@LeeMcKenzieTV 9m
Inside F1 is about to start on the bbc News Channel. Ferrari news and Toto Wolff's thoughts since Spa

it's on now. rumours that montezemolo is resigning or being forced to resign by Fiat.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
rumours that montezemolo is resigning or being forced to resign by Fiat.
yeah, that would be small step into right direction... but Ferrari still needs major staff reshuffle with a lot of new blood (Ross wouldn't be enough) to reboot the F1 program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom