• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Zeknurn

Japanese GP promoter Honda vetoes Saturday race option
The FIA has confirmed to the teams that there is no possibility of the Japanese GP being run on Saturday in an attempt to avoid the typhoon that is expected on Sunday.

However, the option remains to bring the 3pm start forward in order to create a bigger window in which to get the race completed.

Race promoter Honda is the driving force behind the decision not to move to a Saturday afternoon slot after morning qualifying
– an option that the FIA was open to.

However Charlie Whiting confirmed that that path had not been taken at the regular Friday driver’s briefing, which is also atteneded by team managers.

An earlier start still might not avoid the heavy rain which is expected to fall all day Sunday, and there remains a chance that it is too wet for the cars to take to the track at all. If they do one possible scenario is a lenghty stint behind the safety car.

A race only has to run for two laps for half points to be awarded, and has to run to 75% for full points to be awarded.

In other words it would require only two laps behind the safety car in the course of the day, with no actual racing, for the driver on pole to do enough to earn 12.5 points. It will be fascinating to see how that might impact the Hamilton v Rosberg contest…

The worst weather is expected to hit in late afternoon and evening, just as the teams are packing up for Sochi.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/10/03/japanese-gp-promoter-honda-vetoes-saturday-race-option/

kiyomi

I sure hope they change the time of the race on Sunday, then. It'll be a disaster if the race consists of 2 laps behind the SC.

Shaneus

Hm. If Vettel's out, I'd love to see someone like Hulk in there. With Ricciardo shining at this point, getting someone with a little more experience and proven skills with a few years left would be a no-brainer.

Maybe I just want to see him in a top-tier car :(

NHale

So Alonso is as good as gone. Best Spanish press BFF with Abad already confirming the story on the radio.

They are just laying the ground of a "amicable decision that was made for the best interests of Ferrari and both sides agreed about it". Ferrari fears a backlash from the Italian press if it appears they got rid of him and Alonso also doesn't want the Italian press to paint him as a "quitter". Expect an announcement Sunday/Monday.

Also the mentioned no deal has been signed with McLaren until Ron Dennis lose operational control of the team. Williams is the alternative if Santander decides to jump ship with him this year and sponsor 2 teams in 2015 and pay all his salary.

Hm. If Vettel's out, I'd love to see someone like Hulk in there. With Ricciardo shining at this point, getting someone with a little more experience and proven skills with a few years left would be a no-brainer.

Maybe I just want to see him in a top-tier car :(

I don't see how Vettel gets out of that deal in 2015 if it's indeed that restrictive like press claim it is. Unless of course RBR also wants to get rid of him. But if he leaves then the replacement will be Kvyat or Verstappen. Sainz Jr. gets his opportunity at STR.

Aiii

So not worth it
kvnlyr.gif

So Alonso is as good as gone. Best Spanish press BFF with Abad already confirming the story on the radio.

Good riddance.. I had a bet here that he'll stay at Ferrari

But I really hope that he doesn't.. For his sake he better move, Kimi is gonna destroy him next year

DBT85

The idea that a promoter or sponsor gets to veto a race being moved on safety grounds is more than a little unsettling.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
The idea that a promoter or sponsor gets to veto a race being moved on safety grounds is more than a little unsettling.

Well, it is a little more complicated than them just being a sponsor, they also own the track.

NHale

But I really hope that he doesn't.. For his sake he better move, Kimi is gonna destroy him next year

I see you adopted the Ferrari mantra quickly "Next year is the year". But what will happen if Bianchi destroys Kimi like Alonso did this year?

Autosport said:
Alonso has grown impatient to secure the third F1 world title he so craves and wants to leave, while Ferrari is realistic that it will take at least two years to get back into championship contention.

No Vettel in 2015 surely. It just doesn't make sense for him to join next year because RBR has a firm deal with him and no one ready to replace him. He can't just go to Milton Keynes and say "GG I'm going to Maranello. Ciao.".

The only way I see this happening is because of Ferrari wanting to sell the idea to the tiffosi that 2015 isn't a stopgag year when it's clear it is. 2016 they start with a clean slate and the wind tunnel will be fixed by then.

I can't imagine Alonso's fans tears when Vettel wins a title with Ferrari.

DBT85

Well, it is a little more complicated than them just being a sponsor, they also own the track.

In other sports if the officials say the match is off or moved then the match is off or moved regardless of the sponsors or the owners of the location of the event.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
In other sports if the officials say the match is off or moved then the match is off or moved regardless of the sponsors or the owners of the location of the event.

Those other sports do not tend to charge the venue/hosts over $50M for the privilege of doing so though. They need a 3 day race weekend to recoup the costs.

TCRS

Banned
As a Ferrari fan I dont know how I will feel seeing Hamilton or Vettel in a Ferrari. I have hated them sooo much for sooo many years.

same here with Vettel. I'm really liking Hamilton this year and hope he will win the championship, but I can't imagine him in red overalls.

all I know is I'm definitely heartbroken about Alonso leaving without a title :(

Hungary 2014 #neverforget

Ark

doesnt this make it look like vettel is running from ric? like a pussy?

The team doesn't need him anymore. It's so painfully visible that all eyes and team focus are on Riccardo & Verstappen. Vettel needs to make the rest of his career himself, he's outgrown the team.

Osiris

Wow, so RBR have sacked Kenny Handkammer (Vettel's Chief Mechanic) "With immediate effect", despite him being at Suzuka.

Something juicy must have gone down.

As a Ferrari fan I dont know how I will feel seeing Hamilton or Vettel in a Ferrari. I have hated them sooo much for sooo many years.

As a Ferrari fan myself I don't really care who drives the car, as long as the team delivers a good car and the driver behind the wheel can deliver good results. That's why I don't really care if Alonso leaves. He had a good reason and I don't blame him for that, but if Vettel or Hamilton can achieve a better result with the team, then so be it.

Zeknurn

Wow, so RBR have sacked Kenny Handkammer (Vettel's Chief Mechanic) "With immediate effect", despite him being at Suzuka.

I guess they figured out why Vettel had a shit and unreliable car all year up until Singapore and heads had to roll.

DBT85

Damn. Interesting.

Those other sports do not tend to charge the venue/hosts over $50M for the privilege of doing so though. They need a 3 day race weekend to recoup the costs.

I'm sure they are insured against things like this happening. It's not like a slight ocean falling in Suzuka is an abnormal occurrence.

jey_16

Banned

lol...wut, just like he has destroyed him this year in the same car right? Kimi has been an embarrassment this year. Feels worse then Massa

FFS....i really hope Ferrari are letting Alonso go with Hamilton or Vettel lined up next year. I want to see which idiot though Kimi and Bianchi/Hulk/someone else is a good lineup

crazy that the team is going is going from what we thought was the best lineup last year to probably the worst one out of the top 5 teams

duckroll

Lol. No one wants to be seen as owing unpaid debts. Caterham Group claims that "Caterham Sports Limited" is not affiliated with them. Caterham F1 claims that "Caterham Sports Limited" is just a supplier company and not affiliated with them. In the end the law doesn't care. Someone owes money and they're going to either pay up or the entire operation is going down the toilet. :)

So, how much extra should I tell my DVR to run this weekend? I already told it to go an hour over but if this typhoon comes through who knows how long it will be.

Aiii

So not worth it
So, how much extra should I tell my DVR to run this weekend? I already told it to go an hour over but if this typhoon comes through who knows how long it will be.

I'd put a good extra two hours on it, at least.

I hope for your DVR's sake they aren't go to promote an earlier start time to be on the safe side.

duckroll

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/316988/caterham-says-bailiffs-visit-no-big-drama/

Caterham says bailiffs' visit 'no big drama'

"It's no big drama, to be honest," he said. "It is absolutely true that bailiffs have been to Leafield, but what is also true is that the day before yesterday, since they were in Leafield, not a single screwdriver has been removed for the very simple reason that our solicitors got all the paperwork done in order to prove that it is a matter of totally different companies.

"Leafield Technical Centre is hosting a number of different companies. For example, I keep meeting Mike Gascoyne every morning because he is Chief Technical Officer of Caterham Composites and there is also Caterham Group and some other companies, including the Formula 1 team, but the Formula 1 team has nothing to do with these other companies."

Ravetto disputed the claims of the bailiffs and insisted that only memorabilia, which did not belong to the Formula 1 operation, was removed.

"Substantially we managed to explain to the bailiffs that we have nothing to do with the claims," he said.

:lol

I'd put a good extra two hours on it, at least.

I hope for your DVR's sake they aren't go to promote an earlier start time to be on the safe side.

I gotta check max space on my drive (records to an SSD then copies to my NAS) but I think I can fit two hours. Just going to watch twitter and news to see if things get changed up.

duckroll

The severity of the forecast makes me think that this will be less of an issue of how long the race could go on for, but rather how much of the race will even take place. If they move it forward far enough, it might just be a regular wet race with some overtime owing to safety car periods and whatnot. If the situation gets too dangerous, then the rest of the race is pretty much over. It's unlikely that the weather will get better anytime soon after taking a turn for the worse, given the projections.

Aiii

So not worth it
Okay, so I lied. Max Q&A at Formula1.com:
Q: You ended the session 12th fastest, and within a few tenths of your future team mate Daniil Kvyat. How pleased are you with that?
MV: Honestly my feeling was that I was not pushing at all. For the whole session I was driving safe - I didn't want to crash, I just wanted to make laps and that's what I did. I think I was straight away quite okay with the pace, but I was just getting used to the car. I was building up pace and confidence lap by lap. Step by step I am learning everything - and step by step you can push more.

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2014/10/16427.html

Looks like Vettel is getting some room to form the team around him, good for him.

Top Bottom