• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FUEL PC Meetup Thread (now pine tree free)

Remy

GAF FUEL GROUP

gaffuel.png

Wait, What?

Thanks to the Codemasters sale in early May 2010, FUEL has gotten a second lease on life from dedicated GAFfers. Come join us as we free-ride around 5,000 square miles of desolate land trying to find liveries, climb mountains, and look for the mystical "pine tree".

How We Do It

Games are typically initiated via Steam chat room. Add a few people from this thread, or join the GAF Fuel group.

Voice chat is done through Steam, not through GFWL. You will need to click "Start Voice Chat" in the Steam chat before you can hear anyone. Please be sure to mute your microphone in GWFL (Home -> Settings -> Voice -> Mute Microphone), and you should probably go Push To Talk in Steam (Settings -> Voice). Avoid using a key that's also used for game controls.

If you don't have a headset, that's okay too - you may want to click "Start Voice Chat" just so you can hear everyone.

Once the Steam room is in place, you will have to find someone's who's in the Online Free Ride session via GFWL and hit the "Join Session In Progress" option to join the session. You cannot join directly through Steam or through the FUEL menus. Note that there's no way to see where everyone else is on the map unless they're nearby, so check the chat room or ask on voice chat as to where you should warp to to find everyone.

Other Useful Tips

* Typically one person will lead as the team drives to find something (livery, vista point, doppler truck, hidden car). Try to avoid bumping into the lead.
* If there's an item you need nearby, you should call it out so the group can go grab it collectively.
* FUEL's map is very locked down at the start of the game; to unlock additional areas for warping to, you need to get stars in Career Mode. While we will be typically starting out in Off-Shore Camp, we may eventually get to a point where we're warping into areas that need to be unlocked. Collect some stars when we're not playing as a group.
* We haven't gotten to the point where we're actually doing any races or challenges together - maybe soon.
* The Knightmare is strongly recommended if we're going up mountains. But feel free to drive what you'd like otherwise.

Players

GAF Name - Steam ID - GFWL ID

Remy - RemyDWD - RemyVJA
Jangaroo - Jangaroo - Jangaroo
Blizzard - Blizzard - FUELBlizzard
Javaman - [GAF]Javaman - JavamanJake
blackMamba1187 - blackMamba1187 - blackMamba187
Dacvak - Dacvak - ?
SalsaShark - pablitomm.uy - Pablitomm
scitek - fdupdon - ?
Flambe - flambe - mrthou316
Blackheim - Blackheim - Insipid Reign
biocat - biocat - Akiba kei
Sysgen - Sysg3n - Sysgen
kn1ves24 - kn1ves24 - kn1ves24
BudokaiMR2 - BudokaiMR2 - Budokaininja
Horsebite - Horsebite - Horsebite
Caesar III - c3nC3 - Ca3sar III
Spotless Mind - Spotless Mind - spotlessmind86
Crag Dweller - Kindbudmaster - Crag Dweller
Schmattakopf- Schmattakopf - ?
Railer - Coleslaw - ShinyBrotato
Costanza - c0stanza - streetsahead
n0b - n0b_dc - unusedprofile

Javaman

I've got the first 5 or 6 zones unlocked but I've been saving the trucks/livery/vistas for our free roaming. Be sure to hit the right arrow on the screen that lists the races. I missed a bunch at first till I noticed that. :lol While most have 3 races, some have 6 or so. Doing these will not only unlock new areas but also trucks and hidden vehicles.

Blizzard

Banned
I also have 5-6 areas unlocked, and I actually have gotten MOST of the stuff in offshore shack and tsunami reef by now. I don't know if I will have time over the next 2-3 days, but I definitely want to schedule a run so we can maybe get 6+ people at the same time again. If we can get people to unlock drownington cove, we could go for the three free vehicle unlocks in that area, but I need to do more career races before they show up my map.

Last night I only drove with a couple of people, but it was kind of fun finding the huge bridge with the jump in the middle of it, and then using steam chat to direct someone else to our location. It took them forever to finally find us.

Also, pro-tip: Don't alt-tab while on a bridge. You will go back to the game and discover that you have fallen through the bridge to the ground a few hundred feet below, and respawning may or may not put you in a good location. :lol

Remy

I've got 4 zones unlocked and trying to focus on getting stars when playing alone, although I am also running through some challenges for that sweet sweet fuel.

As those of you who joined the group already may have noticed, I scheduled an event for tonight at 8PM EST so that we can do a little bit of a test run.

Blizzard

Banned
Remy said:
I've got 4 zones unlocked and trying to focus on getting stars when playing alone, although I am also running through some challenges for that sweet sweet fuel.

As those of you who joined the group already may have noticed, I scheduled an event for tonight at 8PM EST so that we can do a little bit of a test run.
I'll join up if I can get there on time. Is there a group-specific chatroom we can use with voicechat? That would be nice.

I know sometimes it can be hard to join someone. I don't know how their server(s) work, but I think we had a couple of people in a different world than us when we tried to get all 8 people on, and then the last guy had trouble getting in. So basically, step 1 is to try to join their session from your GFWL friends list, and step 2 is to try to join everyone else who's in the same session if that join failed. I don't know if it's best to be offline yourself before you join the session too...I think I did that the other day to get in somewhere.

Remy

Blizzard said:
I'll join up if I can get there on time. Is there a group-specific chatroom we can use with voicechat? That would be nice.

Yup, just right click on the group in your friends list and hit "Join Group Chat". The voice chat appears to work through there normally.

kn1ves24

What should I be looking for if I want to unlock some vehicles quickly? I haven't played much yet, so I only have like 2 vehicles available to me (default buggy and a motorcycle). I don't want to join a game and have vehicles that are well below everybody else, don't want to be left in the dust or hold people due to my vehicle level.

I haven't joined the steam group yet (I'm still at work) but I should be around tonight to give the MP a try if we need some guys to play.

Remy

kn1ves24 said:
What should I be looking for if I want to unlock some vehicles quickly? I haven't played much yet, so I only have like 2 vehicles available to me (default buggy and a motorcycle). I don't want to join a game and have vehicles that are well below everybody else, don't want to be left in the dust or hold people due to my vehicle level.

I haven't joined the steam group yet (I'm still at work) but I should be around tonight to give the MP a try if we need some guys to play.

There's sort of two primary sections to unlocking vehicles:

First, you have to get them available. This is typically done by beating Career missions/unlocking the next area, but there should be about 10-12 already available out of the gate.

Then you have to buy them. Vehicles are purchased using "Fuel", which you can quickly get by beating Career missions (~1500 x difficulty level) or challenges (~2000 a pop), or by crashing into the silver barrels that are scattered around the map (single barrels give 100, stacks give you 400).

I'm not that far into the game, but most of the vehicles I've seen so far are somewhere between 3000-6000 fuel.

And don't worry too much about being "left behind" - freerides are mostly about playing the fun vehicles, not going as fast as possible. (I personally recommend the King Arthur, which is great both on-road and off.)

I noticed if the one who has unlocked an area already starts a race there and invites all players they get there after the race is over (did not try skipping it though)

Perhaps this is useful to explore some more together before it's been unlocked for all players

we used this today to go to the southern sector (forgot the name)

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I have somewhere between 5-7 areas unlocked I think. I've been saving some of the vista points and such for when we do a run.

Salsa

Had to leave but that was fun :D too bad that you cant tell where the other players are in the map (and the fact that the gps sucks) but once youre there its all good.

Some screens i took:

16jmlk.jpg

o09ykk.jpg

ickcw0.jpg

fdhqgn.jpg

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Remy_Janga_Carpile.png

Just wanted to leave this here. Since everybody spawns at the exact spot when using the helipad, we can technically make a gigantic tower of cars and bikes.

kn1ves24

I only had a chance to snap one SS

Thought it looked kinda cool. It was fun playing, look forward to doing it again.

Blizzard

Banned
Doing a 4-player race with some people. Fog? WHAT COULD GO WRONG
1yo85z.jpg

After Java led us to one of the free roaming maverick vehicles, we all headed for the edge of the world at HIGH SPEED.
zvzjaa.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
(shots halved from 1680x1050 to hide jaggies and bad graphics as always)

The edge of the world is a trippy place.
dcdj5l.jpg

The graphics in the game certainly aren't the best, but DAT ROAD TEXTURE! :D
2u8h1dl.jpg

Jangaroo said:
Man I wish I got to race with you guys :(
We did two races.

I didn't finish both. :(

I kept missing checkpoints and then realizing far too late that I had missed them. :lol

Costanza said:
I need to start playing with you guys
I can't add that Steam ID. Make sure that's the ID and not just the URL or something. Edit: Well, I added you from the URL. It won't let me just type in that ID, though.

Sysgen

When soloing the events if you run 1st at the highest difficuly do you get FUEL for all 3 difficulty levels? I've been doing all three starting from the easiest so I thought I'd ask.

Javaman

Sysgen said:
When soloing the events if you run 1st at the highest difficuly do you get FUEL for all 3 difficulty levels? I've been doing all three starting from the easiest so I thought I'd ask.

Yep!

Oreoleo

Ya, I guess I should probably post in here.

GAF: Orellio
Steam: Oreoleo
GFWL: Orellio

I've got Drownington Cove, The Ashtray, Pinwheel's Ridge and Stargazer's Heights all unlocked and super-ready to explore. And I still haven't touched Big Cauldron's Ridge yet, basically.

Blizzard

Banned
I have only gotten down to drownington cove (and gotten one of the cars there), but I would be up for a drive in most any of the early areas maybe tomorrow or saturday. Otherwise I'll probably not be playing until close to next weekend.

Oreoleo

Blizzard said:
I have only gotten down to drownington cove (and gotten one of the cars there), but I would be up for a drive in most any of the early areas maybe tomorrow or saturday. Otherwise I'll probably not be playing until close to next weekend.

I have Friday off so if you wanted to do a Drownington Cove run early/mid afternoon that would be super :D

kn1ves24

I'd be up for some runs today, but I probably won't be available till like 9PM EST or later. I also don't have Drownington unlocked yet, but I could probably get it unlocked pretty quickly.

I could go for some games on Saturday too.

Blizzard

Banned
kn1ves24 said:
I'd be up for some runs today, but I probably won't be available till like 9PM EST or later. I also don't have Drownington unlocked yet, but I could probably get it unlocked pretty quickly.

I could go for some games on Saturday too.
We did test that (aside from the one guy who had a horrible time showing up on the same map) the race trick works, so if someone starts a race that takes place in drownington, everyone seems to be warped to the end location if they choose free ride after the race. But unlocking is good anyway since you get helipad access and whatnot after visiting the camp.

*edit* Going to try a little driving now, and maybe more tonight once people are around.

Joe Molotov

We had a good ride tonight. That sucks that doing a race scatters everyone around. We all ended up lost on Mount Rainer, but then we met up again at the summit, so it was all good. :lol

Oreoleo

Joe Molotov said:
We had a good ride tonight. That sucks that doing a race scatters everyone around. We all ended up lost on Mount Rainer, but then we met up again at the summit, so it was all good. :lol

I think Blizzard got sidetracked by SHINY WHITE BARRELS

Top Bottom