• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FUEL PC Meetup Thread (now pine tree free)

Blizzard

Banned
I know the physics and graphics are all fake and stuff, but I'm not sure if I have ever played a game level with weather like tornado warning. O_O;

Sysgen

Blizzard said:
I know the physics and graphics are all fake and stuff, but I'm not sure if I have ever played a game level with weather like tornado warning. O_O;

The race with the Tornado, despite what anyone thinks of the game good or bad and especially given how much most of us paid for the game, is worth the price of admission all by itself.

Joe Molotov

It makes you wonder how much differently FUEL would have been received if it had been released as a $5 digitally distributed title in the first place. ;)

Blizzard

Banned
I'm back from being out of town, and I'd like to do a FUEL run tomorrow or Saturday if anyone is still interested! Or maybe even one tonight. n0b told me that the grand canyon is cool in the very far southeast, but I didn't want to ruin all the special sights by skipping everything in between since I've been unlocking stuff...but if people want to do that instead, that's ok with me. I personally don't think I have the area unlocked to have vistas/liveries/etc. on the map though.

Any thoughts/requests?

Remy

Blizzard said:
I'm back from being out of town, and I'd like to do a FUEL run tomorrow or Saturday if anyone is still interested! Or maybe even one tonight. n0b told me that the grand canyon is cool in the very far southeast, but I didn't want to ruin all the special sights by skipping everything in between since I've been unlocking stuff...but if people want to do that instead, that's ok with me. I personally don't think I have the area unlocked to have vistas/liveries/etc. on the map though.

Any thoughts/requests?

I'm down for a Free Ride on Saturday in the afternoon or early evening. (Got a concert to go to tomorrow night, though.)

Don't really care about the area - I think I'm still at about 6 unlocked, and I too have been leaving the liveries and vista points alone to save them for our pow-wows.

Blizzard

Banned
Remy said:
I'm down for a Free Ride on Saturday in the afternoon or early evening. (Got a concert to go to tomorrow night, though.)

Don't really care about the area - I think I'm still at about 6 unlocked, and I too have been leaving the liveries and vista points alone to save them for our pow-wows.
I'll probably be busy tomorrow, so it sounds like we could plan for Saturday afternoon.

Oreoleo

I'm all about Friday you bastards :( Free all day compared to Saturday I have to work until 11pm.

The grand canyon is pretty awesome though. I unlocked it and had to check it out for a few minutes but I skipped all the areas between that and Drownington Cove. There's also an achievement for driving from Tsunami to Redrock Bluffs so that's something to consider for the future when everyone has a couple hours to spare at the same time (lol).

Javaman

Schmattakopf said:
I like how Java left us for Iron Grip.

Haaha. That game is totally underappreciated. It's a bit rough around the edges, but full of good stuff once you get the hang of it. That and I was too drunk to enjoy the drive haaha.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh yeah, we were going to play this afternoon but I kinda got sunburn/sun poisoning despite SPF 45 sunblock, and just slept for like 11-12 hours. :lol

Well, in an hour or so I might be up for driving, otherwise it's gonna be tonight or tomorrow.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, we've got the FUEL chat room start up. If anyone wants to hop in in the next hour or so, we'll try to get a drive going by 4-5 EST. *edit* 5 p.m. EST, got about 5 people for it so far. I'm guessing we'll try drownington or pinwheel depending on what vistas/liveries we have on the map.

Blizzard

Banned
I posted two shots here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21427213&postcount=4298

And here are two more:

Clouds!
fuel2010-05-2318-47-11d2ri.jpg

STALKEResque.
fuel2010-05-2318-36-57243t.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Lastly, two more. I hope everyone had fun! We had pretty much 5 at all times (remy got replaced with blackmamba) and occasionally split up and rejoined if we got lost. I think I have now found and gotten everything in Drownington Cove, so next time around we might want to try another area like the crater lake area or pinwheel heights. :)

My jet pilot/motorcycle gear:
fuel2010-05-2223-32-31w1q5.jpg

I guess I didn't realize until today that the regular brake and/or leaning forwards can make you do a reverse wheelie...
fuel2010-05-2317-18-0400c5.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
This weekend I was pretty busy, but next weekend I'd like to try a FUEL run unless someone wants to do weeknights. If anyone is still interested, could you vote what day/time you would prefer?

I think I could do Friday afternoon, Saturday afternoon or evening, or Sunday afternoon.

Remy

I can do Friday evening next weekend, but that's about it, as I have to fly out to San Francisco on Sunday and I have many plans Saturday.

Of course, I'm also available tonight if there's interest.

Blizzard

Banned
Well it's just downsampling, but yeah. Sorry I didn't play today. I'll try to at least do a run with Javaman "tomorrow" (Saturday) afternoon or evening! *edit* Starting late tonight might work depending on when Java is around.

Blizzard

Banned
Java and I would be up for around midnight tonight, if anyone wants to do a really late night drive for an hour or so. :lol

Javaman

Unfortunately I won't be intoxicated, but I'm sure that won't stop me from running into countless trees and barns.

Blizzard

Banned
We had five people today. I was a terrible leader, but hopefully it was fun for everyone! Mostly we let Java lead, and high points included the half snowy mountain, the evil evil vista point on the ridge overlooking the crater, and speeding down into the crater to race Java up the curvy path to the vista point. :lol

fuel2010-06-0601-00-475236.jpg

fuel2010-06-0601-49-47e1nu.jpg

I have more screenshots that might be decent, but I'll wait until another time to sort and convert.

Good drive! Instead of posting these in the high-res thread (they're resized and not particularly good), I will just leave them here.

fuel2010-06-0601-27-19po1d.png

Javaman

Schmattakopf said:
Good drive! Instead of posting these in the high-res thread (they're resized and not particularly good), I will just leave them here.

I love the ominous looking purple/orange glow in the last one

"Red sky at night, sailors delight" Orangey Purple glow in the morning, bikers take warning!"

Javaman said:
I love the ominous looking purple/orange glow in the last one

"Red sky at night, sailors delight" Orangey Purple glow in the morning, bikers take warning!"
I was trying to catch the lightning, but that meant that I had to hover over my screenshot key while accelerating without being able to turn... and with the trees in this game...

Blizzard

Banned
MysticX said:
I can say that when you have a good rig, this game is actually suprisingly cool and fun.
If you have a nice rig, try using the downsampling tip that TheOctagon posted in the screenshots thread. You can get some decent results: (resized down to 90% size so tinypic can handle it)

33b1o39.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
If anyone's up for it, it sounds like we might have a few people for a free drive late tonight, say, starting somewhere in the 10-12 EST timerange. *edit* Going now.

Blizzard

Banned
If someone is bothered by me being the only poster in this thread please let me know. We had a four-person drive yesterday since we started too late for most people to join. It was decent, and we just finished up some offshore/tsunami business.

Night view:
fuel2010-06-1301-07-199anj.jpg

Javaman

Blizzard said:
If someone is bothered by me being the only poster in this thread please let me know. We had a four-person drive yesterday since we started too late for most people to join. It was decent, and we just finished up some offshore/tsunami business.

Night view:
fuel2010-06-1301-07-199anj.jpg

Never man! Keep it up. Sorry I bailed early the other day

Remy

If there's some interest, I'd love to drive some this weekend. Sounded like we might have one or two new people. For the regulars, what times work best? I'll slap a Steam Event into the group calendar.

Suairyu

Banned
Newcomer!

Unfortunately, I cannot play this weekend (and half of the following week) due to work commitments, but I'd love to join in sometime soon.

Suairyu - SpoilerDuck - TornSky

Blizzard

Banned
Remy said:
If there's some interest, I'd love to drive some this weekend. Sounded like we might have one or two new people. For the regulars, what times work best? I'll slap a Steam Event into the group calendar.
I would like to as well, but it might have to be a weeknight or next weekend unless someone wants to do tomorrow afternoon. The TF2 tourney thingy is tonight, and then I might not be around later tonight/tomorrow.

Sciz

Ok, I know something like half of TF2 GAF plays this game, so someone give me the short version of why it's worth $5 more than the rest of these vile cash-draining deals.

Blizzard

Banned
Sciz said:
Ok, I know something like half of TF2 GAF plays this game, so someone give me the short version of why it's worth $5 more than the rest of these vile cash-draining deals.
It's good for $5-10 if you have friends who play it or if you like OCD unlockable games. The graphics aren't great (though you can look at TheOctagon's notes about how to use the registry to make it render at say, 2x2 downsampled in windowed mode). But, it has like 5,000 square miles of terrain that's roughly based on the northwestern US, and you can drive the whole thing seamlessly with no loading. The game is HUGE.

A lot of the areas are also similar, though the difference in snow/ice/trees, weather, and day/night help make it more interesting.

Basically, look at the screenshots in this thread (and maybe Google for the old LTTP FUEL thread in the gaming forum), and ask yourself if you would find randomly driving for an hour or two with friends on voicechat to unlock cars and points sounds fun.

I actually don't think the singleplayer races and challenges are that bad, but I would probably not recommend the game solely for singleplayer races unless it's for $5-10.

Since it sounds like we may have some new people, feel free to join the group (it should be in my/Javaman's profile), and maybe we can have an event this weekend even though Javaman will be out of town. Would something like Saturday afternoon/evening work? That or tomorrow night should work for me, unless something comes up.

Sciz said:
The non-open world part (single-player races) is mediocre with the exception of just a handful of somewhat fun races. The open world part is what's interesting, but even that's only worth it if you have other people to play with, which is why I can recommend it on GAF since we have this group.

Sciz

As thoroughly amusing (and rage inducing) as career races are, the allure of a big GAF free ride session is calling to me. Someone make it happen.

JoeBoy101

Picked it up and loving it so far, though nearly killed by graphics card on the downsampling attempt. Feel free to add me:

IDs are all the same: JoeBoy101

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
A few screenshots, because I'm bored. I have shadows turned off because they look so assy.

Fuel4.jpg

Fuel2.jpg

Fuel3.jpg

Fuel1.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
Okay I've just become unemployed! Free to ride whenever everyone else is. Pick a date and time and I shall be there!

Blizzard

Banned
So how about tomorrow at 2 p.m. EST? I don't know if we should do a run for the people who just got the game, or the people who have done several areas. For anyone who can be around tomorrow or Sunday, please vote for a time (if early afternoon is bad) and what you want to do (i.e. pinwheel heights, go for vistas, cars, etc.).

Bear in mind that to get the maverick vehicles, which are purple arrows on your map, at least someone in the group needs to have not gotten them yet, since otherwise the arrows completely vanish. People who have already collected liveries or vistas can still see them on the map and go along for the ride if they want.

Top Bottom