• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The FUEL PC Meetup Thread (now pine tree free)

Suairyu

Banned
I'm good with that, either later today or on Sunday.
(I think that converts to 7pm BST (GMT+1)? Google provides a lacking set of time conversion machines).

I've only played around a little in single player, mostly just picking a random direction and driving for ages, so I haven't really unlocked many areas/collected many liveries and vistas, so I guess consider me pretty close to having just got the game.

A quick glance at Mr. Rossignol's 8 hour tour makes me hungry to see The White Flats or The Hanger, but not knowing what everyone else has done, I'm happy to go anywhere really.

EDIT - Joined the Steam group. I'll play a few single player sessions today to see how many stars I can grab to unlock areas+The Knightmare to make starting the session as easy for everyone else as possible.

Blizzard

Banned
No one's in the chat room and only one person responded, so I'm going to say I'll check again in 3 hours (4:30 EST) and do a brief drive if anyone's up for it then. Otherwise, postponed.

Nabs

i'll probably join up with you guys today, if you have room. i still need to download it, so... i hope steam servers can handle it.

Blizzard

Banned
Dani said:
Tomorrow at that time sounds fine. I just got the game and having practically nothing unlocked.
We're all in the room now, planning to start in about 30-45 minutes. You can add me as FUELBlizzard on GFWL, and join the Steam group to find the group chat.

*edit* Done, thanks for joining. =) We did a few points in the starting area, and then drove a bit on the east side of the cauldron area (middle of the world) collecting liveries and driving up huge hills.

Suairyu

Banned
Had a fantastic time, guys. Thanks very much for being newbie-minders and showing me so many new places. Play again sometime soon, aye?

Nabs

good game guys. had fun.

next time we should try to use mumble for voice chat if people want a better alternative to the steam one. you can also set your push to talk to your controller, if you had a problem with that.

Blizzard

Banned
Image dump of some shots from today, all resized so they're not jaggy. Next time maybe I'll try to have downsampling turned on and EVGA Precision to take better ones.

fuel2010-07-0317-58-55ufll.jpg

fuel2010-07-0318-01-564gbz.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Climbing cliffs is hard.
fuel2010-07-0318-40-50zfoj.jpg

I think this was the final trek to the last vista we did today, south of the cauldron lake.
fuel2010-07-0318-53-04ocjb.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
I just got downsampling up and running. Despite fears of my 4850 not being able to handle it, I'm averaging 30fps at 4x(1360x768), so no more ugly resolution issues for me. Debug menu camera controls are fantastic (as is the ability to force weather conditions), so I'll definitely be snapping some shots on our next run. As a test I took the camera as high up as the game would let me and saw the edge of the draw distance. From that height it didn't seem anywhere near as impressive as when you're on the ground level, but still far beyond most games.

Blizzard

Banned
Suairyu said:
I just got downsampling up and running. Despite fears of my 4850 not being able to handle it, I'm averaging 30fps at 4x(1360x768), so no more ugly resolution issues for me. Debug menu camera controls are fantastic (as is the ability to force weather conditions), so I'll definitely be snapping some shots on our next run. As a test I took the camera as high up as the game would let me and saw the edge of the draw distance. From that height it didn't seem anywhere near as impressive as when you're on the ground level, but still far beyond most games.
I assume you can't force weather conditions when you're on an online server, but you should be able to get some nice singleplayer shots!

Blizzard

Banned
Visualante said:
Anyone up for a drive tonight?
I'm afraid I will probably still be trying to play engineer. :( Maybe tomorrow, unless anyone else wants to drive tonight. I still owe Javaman an attempted co-op run of Operation Flashpoint too, whenever I can tear HIM away from TF2!

Sciz

Visualante said:
Anyone up for a drive tonight?
You betcha.

Which is to say the GAF TF2 server was active this afternoon so I already got it out of my system for the day.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm good for it if we get a group going (put down the wrench, Blizzard!). I have a Knightmare now so will be able to keep pace with you guys this time.

Blizzard

Banned
I was wanting a break from games for a bit, but I could try driving in an hour or so I suppose! *edit* Looks like we have 6 in the chatroom.

*edit again* Thanks for driving. Some people are still at it but I finally tore myself away. I have some 3GB of screenshots (only 140 or so pictures) since the EVGA precision tool apparently saves the full non-downsampled size, so I'll still have to resize myself.

Suairyu

Banned
Snaps are always nice, Blizzard, but maybe you should Octagon it up and reduce to web-photo size to capture our riding memories in glorious bullshot-o-vision.

8am now, time for sleep. Great ride, everyone!

Blizzard

Banned
Suairyu said:
Snaps are always nice, Blizzard, but maybe you should Octagon it up and reduce to web-photo size to capture our riding memories in glorious bullshot-o-vision.

8am now, time for sleep. Great ride, everyone!
So do you object to the quality of the full-screen shot, or to the fact that they are HUEG SHOTS and mess up the thread? :lol I'll try to nicely format some in the PC screenshot thread tomorrow maybe.

Blizzard

Banned
Suairyu said:
Just in reference to the jaggies. I'm cool with the full screen snaps. Whatever you prefer!
Well, I do have one question for people reading. Comparison, which is better for format A:

http://img12.abload.de/img/fuel_2010_07_09_23_59_9j3u.jpg vs.
http://www.abload.de/img/fuel_2010_07_09_23_59_pcdf.jpg
(second has more jaggies I feel like, but it's less blurry)

Secondly, which is better for format B:

http://www.abload.de/img/fuel_2010_07_09_23_59_rde6.jpg vs. http://www.abload.de/img/fuel_2010_07_09_23_59_jh21.jpg

And finally, which would you rather see, the shots in format A or the shots in format B?

Suairyu

Banned
In both cases, the sharper version looks superior. Personally, I prefer format B, but there's nothing to say you couldn't post format B as a clickable image link to the larger format A.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the input! I guess I was aiming for super-low jaggies, but the blurriness gets kind of bad at a quarter size especially.

Suairyu

Banned
Semi cheat - testing out EVGA today, did a quick run around some of the locations we ending up visiting during last night's run. Here are two snaps I took:
fuel_sunrisebridgeymhy.png

fuel_sunsetbridgeqjt3.png

Blizzard

Banned
Schmattakopf said:
Since no one here seems to play anymore, I just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who is still interested in playing:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TFROC

Someone from that group sometimes invites people from our group to play with them, and apparently they freeride and race often. They seem nice.
I believe they have a weekly ride. I was literally thinking earlier today that maybe we should schedule another FUEL freeride if anyone is up for it. I need to unlock more areas though...

Top Bottom