• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The golden-age of PC gaming summed up in one picture

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
scummvm_chars.png

Blimblim

The Inside Track
LakeEarth said:
I don't see any King's Quest characters! I'm outraged!
I never could stand point & click games where you could die for totally stupid reasons. I remember KQ5, right at the first village. You touch some wheel stuff and you get a "it had a poisoned needle, you are dead" or something like that. Turned me off immediatly ;)
Or Space Quest 4 (?) in the beginning you were in some sort of open space with a flying robot and a zombie, if any of the 2 saw you, boom you are dead.
Not my cup of tea at all, but I understand that some people could like it.

LakeEarth

Blimblim said:
I never could stand point & click games where you could die for totally stupid reasons. I remember KQ5, right at the first village. You touch some wheel stuff and you get a "it had a poisoned needle, you are dead" or something like that. Turned me off immediatly ;)
Or Space Quest 4 (?) in the beginning you were in some sort of open space with a flying robot and a zombie, if any of the 2 saw you, boom you are dead.
Not my cup of tea at all, but I understand that some people could like it.

You should've played KQ6. I dunno about the previous Kings Quests, but in that one cocky Death would say some smart remark everytime you died. Get swept by an undertow? "Nothing like getting swept off your feet!". There were many others that made me laugh.

Hooker

I am blind haha, that's MI2 Guybrush though, I was looking for MI3 Guybrush

In my defense, it's a small picture :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Most definitely the best era of PC gaming as far as I'm concerned. LucasArts was the best back then, and combined with Sierra and there were way too many great adventure games back then.

border said:
Oh come on....the golden age of PC gaming was nothing but Lucasarts graphic adventures? =\
Yes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
border said:
Oh come on....the golden age of PC gaming was nothing but Lucasarts graphic adventures? =\

Well, I did forget Sierra's Laisure suit Larry and Betrayal at Krondor, but yeah... pretty much :p.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yes, the CD version of Loom was hot. Especially if you played on hard mode with a "blind" distaff.

border

Panajev2001a said:
Well, I did forget Sierra's Laisure suit Larry and Betrayal at Krondor...
....and all the rest of Sierra's titles and Wing Commander and Star Control and Populous and Sim City and (etc etc)

border

To suggest that any artform's "Golden Age" is limited to one genre from one artist/company is pretty ridiculous and short-sighted. The Golden Age of Hollywood isn't just MGM Musicals -- it's screwball comedy, historical drama, Universal horror, etc, etc.

Dave Long

Banned
This thread is misnamed. Golden Age of PC Game Adventures sure, but not PC gaming in general. Strategy has ruled the roost on PCs for a long time and the best entries in turn-based strategy, nay, some of the best games of all-time are still VGA-era stratey games like Civilization II, X-Com, Master of Orion and Master of Magic. Flight sims, first-person action... those Lucasarts games were good but you're confusing their unique blend of comedy and excruciatingly obtuse puzzle solving with a Golden Age.

Pretty accurate, but I consider Al Lowe's LSL and Freddy Pharkas adventures to be in direct competition with LucasArts'. Wolfenstein 3d and Doom were more influential as a whole, though I don't know if that classifies them as "Golden Age".

lexi

Banned
I always enjoyed Sierra games more, Space Quest and King's Quest rocked hard. King's Quest 6 blew everything else away.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I am the biggest Bullfrog whore out there, but I concur.

There was a time when I was looking forward to anything from Lucasfilm Games/Lucas Arts, whatever they did it was going to be awesome. Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis is still the best 2D adventure ever made.

foa3.jpg

Who can't remember this?

Ristamar

I'd have to say the late 90's (mainly the latter part of '97 up to '99, and a nice chunk of 2000) was the golden age of PC gaming, no contest.

I remember getting a big compilation with DotT, FoA, S&M, and a bunch of other Lucas Arts stuff for Christmas one year.

I wish I could buy it again.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
callous said:
Most of that is (from) the golden age of Amiga gaming to me.

You are right, I played Monkey Island II and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis on Amiga first, but not many here do remember the Amiga or have ever owned one.

Drakken

Sadly, I never played the older point-and-click adventures. I used to play Apogee/Epic Megagames games all the time. The games I played the most and loved as a young kid were:

Commander Keen, Jazz Jackrabbit, Hocus Pocus, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, and the most addictive (the one I spent the most time on) - Rogue (early form of Nethack). Also, Epic Pinball, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, and Jill of the Jungle.

Top Bottom