• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

I wasn't sure until I clicked your handy link and it answered that question in pretty satisfying detail.

Im just not sure what that is? Is it a remake of the first game with VR?

Is it more like a stand-alone addon for the other game?

Or a whole new game?

It seems the latter.

You're right looking up compression ratios though, lossless is definitely no go. After a bit of research however, it's not a stretch at all to think we could get relatively good looking compression at 1440p 90fps in under 80 mbps. Look at VP9 for example, more than 60% less size over H.264 while being pretty much visually indistinguishable. Plus more frames per second means better compression between key frames because of the smaller movements. Faster movements might end up looking funny, but it's at least worth checking out. I don't know if it's feasible encoding time-wise, but it's at least within the realm of possibility.

My CRF 18 BluRay rips, which are about 1/4th the size of an original BluRay, have lots of visible compression when I watch them in VR. Outside of VR, even on my 100+inch projector, they look flawless. So I don't think we can do much bitrate saving.

By the way, my h.264 rips were encoded at settings that are very space-efficient but take a LONG time to process. With my 4.2Ghz 6600K running nothing but x264, it takes about nine hours to encode a two hour video. That's around 5 frames per second. If I tried to encode my videos in real time, the files would've been much, much larger.

Oh, and h.265 videos generally take at least twice as long to encode as h.264.

That is definitely a remake of Serious Sam 1, with all of the features of Serious Sam 1, so that's pretty neat. Co-op and classic Arena deathmatch (though SS leaves much to be desired as a competitive arena shooter) in VR sounds fun enough.

Wallach

That is definitely a remake of Serious Sam 1, with all of the features of Serious Sam 1, which is pretty neat. Co-op and classic Arena deathmatch (though SS leaves much to be desired as a competitive arena shooter) in VR sounds fun enough.

Yeah, I wasn't that interested in their wave shooter but I will be in for a VR remake of SS. I like that they are including traditional locomotion as an option. It's not the fastest FPS so I think it should be pretty playable that way if you aren't sensitive to motion sickness.

HyGogg

Banned
Actually in a lot of ways it reminds me a bit of a simplified Phantom Dust for VR.

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one that made that connection.

Of all the competitive multiplayer games in VR, this one seems like it might have legs if they support it well. There's enough skill and depth to it to sustain a following. Stuff like Dead and Buried is really fun at first, but too thin to last with such a small userbase.

YOOOOOOO!!!!

DRm1z60.jpg

HyGogg

Banned
There's a new wireless add-on for Vive and Rift coming from a company called Rivvr.

VpkZiO4.png

Compressed 40-80mbps
Weight: 300g
Latency: 11ms
~$200 for 3 hour battery model
~$300 for 6 hour battery model
Launch: End of spring 2017

According to the previewer, latency "wasn’t noticeable in the slightest" but it had a couple signal drops during his few minute demo.

Latency might be within tolerances, but it's iffy. TPCAST is 2 ms and apparently also planned for other headsets than Vive, so that seems like the one to watch.

It's amazing how fast people are moving to solve the wireless issue. Makes you really wonder where VR will be in 5 years if the industry keeps moving like this. Wireless, 4K, lightfield displays, foveating rendering (which also solves compression bottlenecks), full-body presence... All of this stuff seems like it could be consumer ready in 5 years.

Zalusithix

Road to VR has an article up on one of the upcoming wireless VR accessory contenders. Based on WiFi standards, proprietary compression scheme, less than 3ms total latency.

Mach-2K Specs:

• Current resolution fully supported 2160 x 1200
  • Current frame-rate fully supported 90Hz
  • Planned resolution in the near future 4K per eye
  • Planned frame-rate in the near future 120Hz
  • Main CPU: FPGA
  • I/O: HDMI, USB 2.0, 12volts out.
  • Eye tracking input
  • Supply Power: 5 Volts DC
  • Current Frequencies: 802.11ac Wi-Fi 5Ghz
  • Future Supported Frequencies: Up to 60Ghz WiGig
  • On-board software: B.A.I.T “Biologically Augmented Image Transmission” Algorithm
  • OEM and SDK options available, allowing third parties to create application specific modules for the algorithm.
  • User select-able compression schemes
Not sure what the eye tracking is since there's no way they could achieve that with current headsets. Perhaps it's meant that they plan to hijack into future foveated headsets and use eye position to adaptively adjust compression across a frame with more compression used on the periphery.

The interesting thing to me is that it's a belt based unit with antennas that wrap around the body. Assuming this works, it rather neatly solves the high frequency problem. Rather than having the need for the transmitter high up in a central location to clearly see the head like the current Vive solution, this would allow it placed at desktop height and still have a LOS to the unit or its antennas regardless of body angle or position.

Only time will show whether the compression is up to the task. They have these samples provided of a raw image compared to their old compression and new version, but it's easy enough to pull deceptive samples.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
For those who weren't aware, Oculus started their Winter sale a few days ago as well. They've been doing 24 hour sales as well as the standard sale stuff.

Dirt Rally is both the best VR Racing game available (by quite some margin) and probably the best current VR game overall.

Assetto Corsa has the worst VR UI known to man, and by worst VR UI I mean it has absolutely no VR UI. You have to setup your races/settings on your monitor, start the race, and then it will switch to your HMD. Awful.

XiaNaphryz

Dirt Rally is both the best VR Racing game available (by quite some margin) and probably the best current VR game overall.

Assetto Corsa has the worst VR UI known to man, and by worst VR UI I mean it has absolutely no VR UI. You have to setup your races/settings on your monitor, start the race, and then it will switch to your HMD. Awful.

It should be noted though that Dirt Rally has full official VR support, whereas Assetto Corsa's VR implementation is still in the pre-alpha stage. So yeah, the UI side of things is definitely well behind.

I still find AC to be the superior VR driving experience if you have a good high-end wheel. Definitely not polished yet though overall in terms of menus and UI.

AC is definitely a higher fidelity car simulation (and it does run well enough in VR), but their UI is all kinds of dick. To be honest, I don't even like it on my monitor.

XiaNaphryz

AC is definitely a higher fidelity car simulation (and it does run well enough in VR), but their UI is all kinds of dick. To be honest, I don't even like it on my monitor.

I realize Kunos is a small dev team, but if they could focus just on the driving model and be part of a larger team that can take care of all the other game stuff (UI/UX, game modes, etc), it would have a chance of being a top-end overall driving game.

So does anyone have House of the Dying Sun and also a HOTAS?

The Steam page says use HOTAS at your own risk. Don't want to pick it up if it won't play well with HOTAS.

So I have a Vive and got my son PSVR for Christmas. I have the Oculus touch controllers but no Rift. As an owner of the Vive is there any real reason to own the Rift or should I just send the touch controllers back?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I have a Vive and got my son PSVR for Christmas. I have the Oculus touch controllers but no Rift. As an owner of the Vive is there any real reason to own the Rift or should I just send the touch controllers back?

I use my Rift for sitting games. I feel bad because the touch controllers are nice but I want rooms all if I'm doing hand tracking.

I'd say get a rift or ditch the touch controllers.

Bookoo

There isn't much of a reason to own both. How did you end up with controllers but no rift?

Jeiiya

Truthfully, I haven't used my Oculus Rift much except when I play Elite Dangerous. That game feels amazing with VR. It feels like I'm cheating because I never lose track of enemies ships by simply looking around the cockpit. Sadly, I also feel like not a ton of games are directly enhanced using it, but at least I have one game I love in VR.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Truthfully, I haven't used my Oculus Rift much except when I play Elite Dangerous. That game feels amazing with VR. It feels like I'm cheating because I never lose track of enemies ships by simply looking around the cockpit. Sadly, I also feel like not a ton of games are directly enhanced using it, but at least I have one game I love in VR.

Games that are built specifically for VR are very enhanced by it. If you only have the Rift, then yeah, VR is not great. Either get the Vive or the Touch controllers and experience better VR. The ability to walk around, reach out and 'touch' things is where VR begins. Seated experiences can be cool (Thumper, Project Cars), but it's not enough to justify owning a headset for me personally. Rec Room alone has made the purchase worth it.

Games that are built specifically for VR are very enhanced by it. If you only have the Rift, then yeah, VR is not great. Either get the Vive or the Touch controllers and experience better VR. The ability to walk around, reach out and 'touch' things is where VR begins. Seated experiences can be cool (Thumper, Project Cars), but it's not enough to justify owning a headset for me personally. Rec Room alone has made the purchase worth it.

I agree that Touch enhances VR greatly over playing with a game pad. However, if you have either a racing rig or HOTAS setup, then Those experiences can be even more immersive as you are not pulled out of the experience due to space limitations. I'm loving the Touch controllers and looking forward to all the great software coming down the line, but as I mentioned in the Rift thread, IMHO, there's nothing like the experience you get with Elite Dangerous in VR with a HOTAS setup. Sooooooo good.

I know this is subjective, but I didn't even know I liked the space sim genre until I played ED in VR. This game and Project Cars with a racing rig was definitely enough to justify getting a Rift for me.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I agree that Touch enhances VR greatly over playing with a game pad. However, if you have either a racing rig or HOTAS setup, then Those experiences can be even more immersive as you are not pulled out of the experience due to space limitations. I'm loving the Touch controllers and looking forward to all the great software coming down the line, but as I mentioned in the Rift thread, IMHO, there's nothing like the experience you get with Elite Dangerous in VR with a HOTAS setup. Sooooooo good.

I know this is subjective, but I didn't even know I liked the space sim genre until I played ED in VR. This game and Project Cars with a racing rig was definitely enough to justify getting a Rift for me.

I want to get a racing wheel very badly specifically for VR.

XiaNaphryz

From experience, the Logitech G29 is a very good wheel. Also, I can highly recommend the Playseat challenge, which is a very well made fold up racing rig.

The Logitech G series is good for newcomers, but after trying Fanatec stuff several years back I can't go back - especially in terms of pedals.

The Logitech G series is good for newcomers, but after trying Fanatec stuff several years back I can't go back - especially in terms of pedals.

I definitely fall into that newcomer category as this is my first racing rig. I'll probably be good for quite some time before I look to upgrade. Might get the add-on shifter at some point, but need to figure out the best way to secure it to the Playseat Challange and have still have it in a good position.

However, lately I've been more into space sims than I have racing though so I'm already starting to look at upgrade options for my flight setup.

Soi-Fong

I recently got this gaming laptop that's equipped with a 1070 and an i7 6700k HQ.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1INYD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got it since I need a workhorse for coding and development that I could take on the go. I got it for a good price at MicroCenter.

I decided to try out the Rift with Elite:Dangerous on this thing and it runs it smoothly on high settings! It's amazing to me that laptops can now run demanding VR games such as Elite really well. It's mindblowing really.

Tain

piUWNFpl.jpg

I pulled the trigger on Fly to Kuma Maker, it should still be on sale for like $10. It seems pretty strong so far! Note that it has more action elements than Waterbears (which makes sense, given the Lemmings-ish concept).

Zalusithix

piUWNFpl.jpg

I pulled the trigger on Fly to Kuma Maker, it should still be on sale for like $10. It seems pretty strong so far! Note that it has more action elements than Waterbears (which makes sense, given the Lemmings-ish concept).

Water Bears? Being a pure puzzle game, that has no action. =P Did you mean Waddle Home?

Tain

Water Bears? Being a pure puzzle game, that has no action. =P Did you mean Waddle Home?

That's all I meant, really: Waterbears is a very pure puzzle game, this isn't. Those are the only two stage-based VR puzzle games that I've put notable time into, so I couldn't help but make the comparison lol.

Zalusithix

That's all I meant, really: Waterbears is a very pure puzzle game, this isn't. Those are the only two stage-based VR puzzle games that I've put notable time into, so I couldn't help but make the comparison lol.

So much for my potential follow up request asking for comparisons to Waddle Home! Thanks for reminding me about this game though. I had put it off until a sale period after initially hearing about it, but completely forgot about it. Too many VR games to keep track of these days.

CzarTim

I could have sworn I saw a thing made in Medium (I think) a while back that was a monster holding a snow globe, but you could zoom into the globe and it was a full sized park.

I've been searching for it all week, but can't seem to find it. Anyone remember it?

I could have sworn I saw a thing made in Medium (I think) a while back that was a monster holding a snow globe, but you could zoom into the globe and it was a full sized park.

I've been searching for it all week, but can't seem to find it. Anyone remember it?

No that was made with Quill.

Lenovo gave some details on their first VR headset for Windows Holographic for CES.

http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/2/14150054/lenovo-vr-headset-windows-holographic

Official Summary:
- Two 1440x1440 OLED panels (compared to 1080x1200 on Vive/Rift)
- 350g (compared to Vive's 555g and Rift's 470g)
- No official dimensions, but it is smaller than a Rift or a Vive
- Headband in style of PSVR
- Inside-out tracking
- Two front-facing cameras can also be used for mixed-reality applications (in addition to the inside-out tracking and chaperone system they showed off at WinHEC)
- Coming sometime this year (Creator's Update isn't out until sometime in Spring which is the earliest possible release time frame)
- Price not final but will be between $300-400. It will be "closer to $300"
- Lenovo is not making their own controller, and are instead relying on other third-party Windows Holographic controllers
- Uses single cable with USB 2.0 (from what I can see) and HDMI

It's not shown or mentioned, but I'd assume the headset probably has a headphone port since it doesn't have integrated headphones. No mention of microphone, but considering Cortana is a big part of Windows Holographic, I'd assume it has an integrated mic. I'd also be interested in cable length they go with, considering inside out tracking has no maximum tracking volume you can optimize it for. No confirmation that this is low persistence (but it's OLED, so likely), final latency amount or IPD range.

Personally, I think this looks like an amazing headset for that price, assuming inside out tracking works well in VR. Goes to show what can happen when the big manufacturers will start getting into the game. However, I think for many of us, the question will remain on what controllers are going to be available and how well the tracking will work in different environments. There's no talk of which games will be available yet, but game developer's are getting dev kits at GDC next month, so there will likely be some which will get ports for launch.

Makai

When games throw up the Vive hubworld as a loading screen with generic controllers - completely unacceptable. At least make a personal loading screen with ip-specific controllers. Few of these games even have high asset loads - shoot for seamless transitions.

Durante

Personally, I feel like launching a HMD without solid tracked controller options at this point (or worse, half a year from now) is rather pointless. After the Touch launch I think it's less controversial than ever before that tracked controls need to be part of the whole VR package.

And of course, you'd need OpenVR support for the software side to be interesting at all.

Anyway, just talking about the HMD itself:
  • Given the resolution and use of HDMI, I am slightly concerned about refresh rate. Anything less than 90 Hz (with low persistence) would be unacceptable.
  • If those dimensions are final, then I'd really like a FoV measurement. Unless they have some optical breakthrough, FoV is limited by size.
  • Finally, the most crucial question is still whether the tracking is solid. I mean, my VR room has 3 empty white walls, is it really going to reliably absolutely position itself in that in a purely inside-out fashion? I have a really hard time imagining that they solved this problem.

I'm interested in a headset only upgrade if somehow I'd be able to keep using my Touch controllers. It's nice to have options, and the last thing new headset manufacturers should be doing is adding more types of controllers into the mix.

Durante

I'm interested in a headset only upgrade if somehow I'd be able to keep using my Touch controllers. It's nice to have options, and the last thing new headset manufacturers should be doing is adding more types of controllers into the mix.
Allowing the use of existing controllers would be a "solid option" in my book. Of course, the only frameworks this can currently realistically occur in are OpenVR and OSVR, given that the Oculus SDK explicitly forbids using it with non-Oculus HMDs.

Top Bottom