• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Zalusithix

I can't really imagine using the controls until I play it first hand, but damn Xortex looks crazy. It's fairly busy and active even on the 2D monitor. In VR it must be quite intense.

In Elite Dangerous with VR does the video output to your display at the same time? I'm not sure how I'm going to navigate the galaxy map reasonable without taking my hands off of my HOTAS and switching to a keyboard and mouse.
Yes it does, though you'd need to keep the headset pointed roughly forward at roughly your head-height to keep the galaxy map centered. The galaxy map is the thing Frontier needs to work with the most in VR, as it currently is it is basically unusable in VR.

Zalusithix

I gave a friend my DK2 just yesterday. I hope he doesn't realize what it's worth and sell it, because I decided to give it to a good home instead of just cashing it in.

Well, if you really care about your friend, you'd tell him to sell it while it's still viable and buy a CV1. You'd be without it either way, and your friend is in a better state. Seriously, think for a moment about what's more important. Your friend's happiness or your attachment to the old set?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I gave a friend my DK2 just yesterday. I hope he doesn't realize what it's worth and sell it, because I decided to give it to a good home instead of just cashing it in.

Which is really nice for someone with a mortgage considering that could get you a long way towards a vive..

Why not just sell it and let your friend use the vive for a while? Win-win surely?

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Well, if you really care about your friend, you'd tell him to sell it while it's still viable and buy a CV1. You'd be without it either way, and your friend is in a better state. Seriously, think for a moment about what's more important. Your friend's happiness or your attachment to the old set?
And if you really really care about him you'd steer him towards a vive after he sells it

Zalusithix

And if you really really care about him you'd steer him towards a vive after he sells it

I said CV1 to keep things close to the same price. The Vive would require more outlay from the friend which he might not be willing (or able) to spend. That and depending on the use case, the CV1 could be just as good (or even potentially better).

Oxn

So how much better are these high End VRs compared to the Samsung VR?

I jsut tried it today and feel its quite serviceable. But if you tell me the experience is not only a little better but much much better, I wouldnt mind spending 600-800 for one.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I said CV1 to keep things close to the same price. The Vive would require more outlay from the friend which he might not be willing (or able) to spend. That and depending on the use case, the CV1 could be just as good (or even potentially better).

I was more joking , I'll echo Shu's statement that all VR makers are in this together

So I pre-ordered the Oculus Rift + ASUS Oculus Ready G11CD-WS51 Desktop PC + ASUS 19.5" HD+ Monitor Bundle on Amazon for $1,550. Is this a good deal?
I don't have a gaming computer and I really want to experience VR soon. Amazon doesn't charge until it ships in April so I have time to change my mind if it's not a good deal.

Qassim

So I pre-ordered the Oculus Rift + ASUS Oculus Ready G11CD-WS51 Desktop PC + ASUS 19.5" HD+ Monitor Bundle on Amazon for $1,550. Is this a good deal?
I don't have a gaming computer and I really want to experience VR soon. Amazon doesn't charge until it ships in April so I have time to change my mind if it's not a good deal.

On the face of it, it seems like pretty good value, especially considering you're getting a monitor with it too.

So how much better are these high End VRs compared to the Samsung VR?

I jsut tried it today and feel its quite serviceable. But if you tell me the experience is not only a little better but much much better, I wouldnt mind spending 600-800 for one.

Much much much better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If you get it in April that's a good deal. I imagine there are people that have to wait until July that would buy that, and throw the computer away just to get the rift in April

On the face of it, it seems like pretty good value, especially considering you're getting a monitor with it too.

If you get it in April that's a good deal. I imagine there are people that have to wait until July that would buy that, and throw the computer away just to get the rift in April

I'm glad to hear it's not a bad deal, thank you both for responding! It'll be my first time trying out VR so I'm really excited.

I actually told him he could sell it if he wanted shortly after posting that post. A couple of minutes before you posted this reply. Seeing it written down made me kind of realise that I wasn't really thinking straight.

I gave it to him. No strings attached. It's his to sell should he want.

I just thought of a method of locomotion in VR that I haven't heard of before.

You could have a game that is both third and first person. For example, you could stay put in one area while being in first person to shoot some enemies. Then, to move to a new location, you could zoom out to third person and move the character around (like Chronos or something) to a new location and then zoom back in to first person to shoot enemies again.

Let me know what you think or if that has already been demoed.

Qassim

You could have a game that is both third and first person. For example, you could stay put in one area while being in first person to shoot some enemies. Then, to move to a new location, you could zoom out to third person and move the character around (like Chronos or something) to a new location and then zoom back in to first person to shoot enemies again.

Interesting idea, I do wonder how the transitions between the two would he handled though as not to be disorienting - if it was a fast paced shooter where you moved around a lot between things, the animation to transition between the two would have to be carefully considered, I think.

This is the sort of stuff i'm really excited about VR for, because it'll force developers to think of new ways to design games and as a result we'll probably get lots of innovations in game design that aren't even necessarily just applicable to VR, some may be translatable into regular '2D' games.

Interesting idea, I do wonder how the transitions between the two would he handled though as not to be disorienting - if it was a fast paced shooter where you moved around a lot between things, the animation to transition between the two would have to be carefully considered, I think.
No animation needed. Just fade out fade in. Even hard cuts work well enough.

I've always like the idea of an animal crossing sized world, that at room scale is shrunk down to fit in your floor space, but when you go inside it becomes full sized and you are inside their little homes.

Krejlooc

Banned

this is how teleporting works.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/introducing-the-oculus-sample-framework-for-unity-5/

VbZy3Mjr.jpg

Teleportation is a popular method of locomotion in VR, mainly because it avoids the discomfort problems of first-person controls. This sample scene shows a simple implementation of a teleportation mechanic.

One subtle consideration explored in this sample is the post-teleportation orientation of the traveler. In one mode, the post-teleportation view direction is controlled by the player before making the teleportation jump. The above screenshot shows this in action – a glowing avatar appears at the teleportation destination, indicating a final orientation that can be controlled by the player. After the teleport, the player faces the direction in which the avatar was facing.

This sounds straightforward, but the player may need to rotate their head to look at the teleport destination. So should the player find themselves looking in the direction the avatar was facing after teleport while their head is still rotated? Or should the new view direction correspond to the direction in which they are looking once they rotate their head back to their neutral forward position?

There is a case to be made for either approach, and what feels most intuitive depends on other factors. This sample can help you understand the difference between these two modes directly, and explore your options. The sample provides the possibility to experiment with an interpolation between these two modes.

bigmac996

Excellent idea! I hope some devs catch wind of this if they haven't already.

Qassim

No animation needed. Just fade out fade in. Even hard cuts work well enough.

I've always like the idea of an animal crossing sized world, that at room scale is shrunk down to fit in your floor space, but when you go inside it becomes full sized and you are inside their little homes.

Oh yeah, that is true actually. Blink teleporting is common in VR, so I suppose that wouldn't be a problem.

Frozone

Question:

Once you've pre-ordered the Rift, how can you check on the status of the ship date (not just from seeing it that ONE time when you went through checkout)?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Don't most teleportation schemes have the camera fixed while a target marker or player avatar moves to another spot?

The suggestion of switching to a third person view would allow you to walk around and explore at length as the camera would follow the player. Then switching to first person eg in buildings

It sounds interesting to me and a lot of the open world games I like are third person anyway. Gives me hope they would be workable in VR

Thinking about my idea more has actually made me think of my very first full video game idea.

Now if only I knew how to make video games!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

The problem with VR sickness is translating around without your feet moving. Your lizard-brain inner-ear doesn't understand what is happening and it makes you sick.

Games where you are looking down on the playfield and translate around above it while looking down still induce this sickness, but it's a little bit better than first-person translation.

EDIT: Oh, you weren't talking about a solution for VR sickness. That's a pretty decent idea to solve the movement problem. But, yeah, sickness.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
After playing a few room-scale demos that utilize a teleportation mechanic in the Vive, I'm happy to say that it's a pretty damn good solution. On paper it seems that it would cause a lot of confusion, but at least with me it felt very natural.

This is also interesting for the problem of how doing cuts would work in VR. Seems like cutting is in!

Zalusithix

Random thought that might have been brought up by somebody else before: The back end of the Vive strap looks like the oval Oculus logo, and the back of the Rift strap looks like the triangular Vive logo. These companies got their marketing backwards.

Random thought that might have been brought up by somebody else before: The back end of the Vive strap looks like the oval Oculus logo, and the back of the Rift strap looks like the triangular Vive logo. These companies got their marketing backwards.

Well now we know who is pushing VR on us...

O5ACZko.png

Cartman86

Banned
Maybe 6m/20ft.

Here is my crude MS Paint thing I made to figure out my setup for times when I want to put everything in the 15m space of the living room. I have all of these cables velcroed together so it at least sort of looks okay going down the hallway. I was hoping to test it out on a real Vive before release but that may not happen. My goal was to not have to get behind my computer and unplug things at all. I needed to keep my existing 4 desktop monitors and HDTV plugged in as well. I was okay with unplugged one or two cables when switching between headsets but they had to be accessible and I wanted entirely wireless headphones. This also isn't fully set up for Oculus yet. Probably won't figure that out till Touch comes out. There are some things i've left out for the sake of readability.

8pgHU7D.png

Red = HDMI
Green = 3.5mm audio cables
Blue = USB
Black = Power

1. 6 ft 3.5mm Stereo M/F cable - 1 and 2 could be one cable, but again I don't want to get behind my PC.

2. 25ft 3.5mm Stereo M/F cable

3. 6 inch 3.5mm Stereo Two Plug Audio Splitter - Splits the audio from the PC to a wireless headset and 5.1 speaker attached to Receiver.

4. 6 ft 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable - Plugs into the stereo receiver so people in the room can hear the audio. This could of course be done through the HDMI cable on the TV, but that would require using software like Virtual Audio Cable to split the audio. I really didn't want to have to do that. This way all audio is technically going through one cable. I just hope I don't get any noise.

5. 6 ft 3.5mm Stereo M/M cable - Connects to the audio input on the wireless headset box.

6. Displayport to HDMI adapter - This allows me to switch between the Rift and Vive by unplugging one and plugging in the other. I might need to use an active adapter with the headsets. Not sure yet. Note that audio is indeed carried over this adapter though I won't be using it.

7. HDMI Extension cable - Connected to the Displayport to HDMI adapter for easy access from the front of my PC.

8. Active 25ft HDMI cable - This is the main HDMI cable for the headset that will connect to the Vive breakout box in the living room. My main point of failure may be here as it is connected to a displayport adapter and hdmi extension cable. It works when connected to a TV which is all I have been able to test right now.

9. Active 30ft HDMI cable - This will connect from my PC/HDMI splitter to the Living Room TV so people can spectate. You may go directly from the HDMI on the PC if that is free, but for me I still want to use that port for the TV in the computer room so i'm using an HDMI splitter.

10. 3 ft USB 2.0 extension cable

11. 30 ft USB 2.0 Active extension cable - This one has two USB inputs. I got this so I can plug in one of those Logitech keyboard with the touchpad in case I need to control the PC.

12. 3ft. USB 3.0 extension cable - For the Rift.

PX4 Turtlebeach headset - Has a 3.5mm audio jack input. I have better headsets, but this was the extra one I had that I could dedicate to the living room and not have to unplug ones i'm actively using in the smaller room I will normally have VR set up in.

When I get my headsets i'll let everyone know if this worked. Might be useful for people.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The Vive has a USB-based headphone jack hanging off the back of the HMD.

I plug my PS4 Sony wireless gold headphones into it with a 3 foot audio cable and it works like a charm.

EDIT: Oh I see you are talking about a solution to easily switch between the Rift and the Vive. Anyways, the headphone jack on the Vive is fantastic.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Seriously, I can't believe people would be paying anywhere near as much for a used DK2 as a new CV1. Collectors maybe? Either that or insanely impatient people. Can't see why else you'd we willing to shell out so much for virtually obsolete hardware.

A few scenarios I can think of:
- people thinking the DK2 is just a CV1 that developers got early
- collectors
- enough spare money to not care about throwing some away to try VR out a bit earlier
- underpowered rig and they think the lower resolution and frame rate is a better fit. (bit of a stretch here)

I've listed mine as used, will see if I have any luck. Won't be too bothered if it doesn't sell since it could still be useful to get access to Oculus exclusives.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cartman86 - thanks. Actually you just saying 'run the cables down the hall' had me thinking. I was considering drilling a big hole in two walls and threading the cancel through, so I permanently had a HDMI and USB in my living room to hook the breakout box too. But I could just as easily run the extension along the floor and then roll it back up afterwards - would literally be a 30 second job.

My graphics card has one HDMI (not currently used), 1 DisplayPort (going to monitor - 3440x1440 so I need to use DP not HDMI which I think is limited to 30hz?), 1x DVI-D and 1x DVI-I. That might mess things up as OR beds DisplayPort I think?

Hadn't considered spectator mode so it seems like I'll need a splitter for that.

Taking that further - if I keep the extension connected permanently (even when using in the PC room), I wouldn't even need a splitter. Leave the breakout box connected and just walk it into the living room when needed. That might push me to 7m/23ft but that should still be ok

Medium term challenge will be hoping valve adds multi room support so I can have two sets of lighthouses permanently set up

Zalusithix

Cartman86 - thanks. Actually you just saying 'run the cables down the hall' had me thinking. I was considering drilling a big hole in two walls and threading the cancel through, so I permanently had a HDMI and USB in my living room to hook the breakout box too. But I could just as easily run the extension along the floor and then roll it back up afterwards - would literally be a 30 second job.

Taking that further - if I keep the extension connected permanently (even when using in the PC room), I wouldn't even need a splitter. Leave the breakout box connected and just walk it into the living room when needed. That might push me to 7m/23ft but that should still be ok

Medium term challenge will be hoping valve adds multi room support so I can have two sets of lighthouses permanently set up

You should be able to work around not having multi room support. Another steam profile granted access to your primary's games and has it's own SteamVR settings should do the trick. At least I'm assuming those settings are profile based and not system wide.

Cartman86

Banned

My graphics card has one HDMI (not currently used), 1 DisplayPort (going to monitor - 3440x1440 so I need to use DP not HDMI which I think is limited to 30hz?), 1x DVI-D and 1x DVI-I. That might mess things up as OR beds DisplayPort I think?

Hadn't considered spectator mode so it seems like I'll need a splitter for that.

A member of the Oculus team confirmed that DVI and displayport adapters work for the Rift so you should be able to use any of the ports on your PC.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A member of the Oculus team confirmed that DVI and displayport adapters work for the Rift so you should be able to use any of the ports on your PC.

Thanks. Vive is HDMI too?

That Reddit page also mentions that the rift is a USB audio device. If the vive is the same then your audio cabling might need redoing.. And wouldn't it make mirroring the audio to a spectator display difficult because you'd then need two audio feeds?

Top Bottom