• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

cakefoo

Something tells me that we'll have moved beyond room-scale in that time frame. It's a step along the way to where we want to go. At least I'd hope we don't have the same needed space and in game traversal limitations in twenty years that current room scale has.
Nothing is more immersive than true 1:1 movment. Roomscale hybrid (aritificial and natural locomotion combined) with the ability to jump in and out of those movement modes at will, will be the way forward imo.

Arion

I just tried the HTC vive. I am a believer.

VR is the future not just for video games but also for user interfaces, much like touch screens.

I only tried Tilt Brush, Office simulator and Space pirate.

Tilt brush is genuinely an amazing creativity tool. In the hands of talented individual with some practice, it can be a brand new way to create digital 3D art. Additionally it is so intuitive. Within minutes I was able to grasp the basics and draw a half decent 3D doodle.

Office Simulator was meh but I enjoyed it more than I though I would. I totally detest the comedy simulator genre but solely because I played it using VR I ended up enjoying it a little.

Space Pirate is about the most standard lack luster shooter I ever played. However, once again because of the VR interface I was having a blast. Being able to look one way and shoot the other way is so damn cool. I felt like Christian Bale in Equilibrium doing gun katas. It gave me that overwhelming joy I experienced when I played a light gun shooter for first time in arcades. A Virtua cop, House of the Dead or Time Crisis game in VR would be amazing. That fact that VR was able elevate, what is otherwise a dull game, into a brilliant game is what sold me on this tech.

VR is the future not just for video games but also for user interfaces, much like touch screens.

Tilt brush is genuinely an amazing creativity tool. In the hands of talented individual with some practice, it can be a brand new way to create digital 3D art. Additionally it is so intuitive. Within minutes I was able to grasp the basics and draw a half decent 3D doodle.

Office Simulator was meh but I enjoyed it more than I though I would. I totally detest the comedy simulator genre but solely because I played it using VR I ended up enjoying it a little.

Space Pirate is about the most standard lack luster shooter I ever played. However, once again because of the VR interface I was having a blast. Being able to look one way and shoot the other way is so damn cool. I felt like Christian Bale in Equilibrium doing gun katas. It gave me that overwhelming joy I experienced when I played a light gun shooter for first time in arcades. A Virtua cop, House of the Dead or Time Crisis game in VR would be amazing. That fact that VR was able elevate, what is otherwise a dull game, into a brilliant game is what sold me on this tech.

How did you find the resolution?

Second half of April

I guess I should consider myself lucky it's in April but still poo poo.

When did you order? I'm waiting for a response, I was 8 minutes.

Horror fans get hype!

Sgkw38m.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Second half of April

I guess I should consider myself lucky it's in April but still poo poo.

when did you order? i have an order confirmation email at 15:04 UK time

my wife was entirely disinterested about my demo of the vive. she was immediately suspicious i was going to waste money on 'more stupid tech'.

Compsiox

Banned
when did you order? i have an order confirmation email at 15:04 UK time

my wife was entirely disinterested about my demo of the vive. she was immediately suspicious i was going to waste money on 'more stupid tech'.

30 minutes after. I hope it's just one massive wave and mine won't just be shipped on April 29th.

Edit: Eh at least I have time to save up for games. Spent all my money on the Vive and my 980ti.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

in space pirate trainer, did you dodge incoming fire like neo? that was so cool.

Zalusithix

I wonder how front loaded the Vive orders were. Seems like compared to the Rift, it would be far more. People ordering shortly after it started are in a second ship wave, yet going to preorder now still only brings up a may ship estimate - like it did over a week ago. On the other hand, my order status is blank on the shipment month. Perhaps I should give a call when I get home to see what's going on there.

Curious if any US retailers will plan on selling some Vive units. Probably low possibility to get something from one in April but will I'll still be snooping around. Can def see Fry's having some limited stock and demos.

Arion

How did you find the resolution?

The PC running the demo had a 970 card but as far as I could tell everything looked and ran great. I also didn't get any motion sickness while using it.

in space pirate trainer, did you dodge incoming fire like neo? that was so cool.

I was actually focusing more on using the shield. I even managed to deflect incoming attacks back to the enemy.

pj

Banned
I wonder how front loaded the Vive orders were. Seems like compared to the Rift, it would be far more. People ordering shortly after it started are in a second ship wave, yet going to preorder now still only brings up a may ship estimate - like it did over a week ago. On the other hand, my order status is blank on the shipment month. Perhaps I should give a call when I get home to see what's going on there.

The fact that Rift delivery dates have held steady as "July" since the day preorders became available indicates that either their orders were also frontloaded.

Using made up numbers, if oculus can make 10k rifts per month they would only need 50k preorders to put the expected delivery date into July.

If HTC can make 30k vives a month, they would need to sell far more to push their date out that many months.

I believe rift will outsell vive by a good margin due to brand recognition and price, but we have too little info to make even ballpark sales predictions.

MultiCore

Just put my Rift DK2 on ebay. I hope I won't regret it.

The HMD's will only improve. The only reason you'd want the DK2 is to go back and see how much of an improvement the news sets are.

I think you'll be fine without it, unless you're a serious collector.

UnrealEck

If I could get a Vive in April I'd probably change my preorder from Rift to Vive.
I think Rift could become similar to Vive in terms of control and room scale after they bring out the controllers and additional trackers.

I'm thinking about putting my DK2 on eBay, except that my lenses have some scratches and it's not *quite* the best condition, so I wouldn't feel good about it.

Zalusithix

The fact that Rift delivery dates have held steady as "July" since the day preorders became available indicates that either their orders were also frontloaded.

Using made up numbers, if oculus can make 10k rifts per month they would only need 50k preorders to put the expected delivery date into July.

If HTC can make 30k vives a month, they would need to sell far more to push their date out that many months.

I believe rift will outsell vive by a good margin due to brand recognition and price, but we have too little info to make even ballpark sales predictions.

Well, I called and my shipment is still set for May. So whatever is causing the blank shipment month on my order status page must just be a bug. That makes me confident that the May being quoted for current pre-orders is likely also correct. They probably had nearly all of the pre-orders hit like a truck in the first hours, and then tapered off greatly. Either that or the shipments for May far exceed April's.

Anyhow, I'm plenty happy with May. Gives me back out time if some horrible defect rate pops up in the first batch, and also gives me time to get everything else ready. I need to print out the final magnetic bracket backing for one. For that I'll have to nag the people in the first wave to measure the mounting bracket's width, length, and hole distance. Also need to fish the power through the drop ceiling. Then when mine arrives I'll be all ready to snap the lighthouses up to the ceiling and get my VR on.

Zalusithix

Oh well I know what i'm doing now. Didn't even bother looking to sell mine as I figured it would be $200 at most.

Seriously, I can't believe people would be paying anywhere near as much for a used DK2 as a new CV1. Collectors maybe? Either that or insanely impatient people. Can't see why else you'd we willing to shell out so much for virtually obsolete hardware.

It's crazy, DK2s are still selling for $600-$700 on eBay, some even without a box (so not for collectors). I wonder if it's developers buying them up - CV1s were only sold one per customer, so not good for companies (especially with the shipping queue), and Oculus was only giving CV1s to companies that were going have a title ready for launch.

MAX PAYMENT

What are the chances that the psvr will work on PCs? I have a decent enough pc for vr, but I want to experience it across both platforms.

Zalusithix

What are the chances that the psvr will work on PCs? I have a decent enough pc for vr, but I want to experience it across both platforms.

Officially? Damn near zero. Unofficially somebody might bother with the effort to get it working to some extent, but it'd end up being a hack job and inferior to the Rift and Vive by a significant margin.

newsguy

My best buy card has 5x points this month and I'm seriously considering just ordering the $1500 asus oculus bundle. I've been back and forth for weeks because it's the minimum spec system, but Luckey keeps insisting that the life of CV1 will work with that rig. I wonder if I'd be able to easily throw a 980ti in there when they come down in price or if I have to upgrade other stuff as well. And I'm afraid if I wait for impressions and reviews in late March, they'll sell out of the bundle stock and then I'll truly be SOL

Zalusithix

My best buy card has 5x points this month and I'm seriously considering just ordering the $1500 asus oculus bundle. I've been back and forth for weeks because it's the minimum spec system, but Luckey keeps insisting that the life of CV1 will work with that rig. I wonder if I'd be able to easily throw a 980ti in there when they come down in price or if I have to upgrade other stuff as well. And I'm afraid if I wait for impressions and reviews in late March, they'll sell out of the bundle stock and then I'll truly be SOL

Anything that has a full size desktop graphics card in it should be able to be upgraded without trouble. Pop out the old one, insert the new one, and done. Nothing else should need to be changed for a pure GPU upgrade. The only thing you need to be careful about is power. In this case the power supply, as far as I understand, has 280W dedicated to the GPU, so you should be just barely OK on that end with the 980ti (250W).

newsguy

Anything that has a full size desktop graphics card in it should be able to be upgraded without trouble. Pop out the old one, insert the new one, and done. Nothing else should need to be changed for a pure GPU upgrade. The only thing you need to be careful about is power. In this case the power supply, as far as I understand, has 280W dedicated to the GPU, so you should be just barely OK on that end with the 980ti (250W).

Thanks for the advice. I'm pre ordering tonight. YOLO!

Matty8787

So the room where my PC is is in a "box room" which is quite small.

Which VR set would be best for me? I was wanting the Vive but reading it needs quite a bit of space to work with.

Seiru

Banned

Which VR set would be best for me? I was wanting the Vive but reading it needs quite a bit of space to work with.

If you're not planning on doing roomscale, probably the Rift. Vive can do sitdown just fine, but roomscale is its real selling point.

Krejlooc

Banned

If you're not planning on doing roomscale, probably the Rift. Vive can do sitdown just fine, but roomscale is its real selling point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NixHENChoQ4

Published on Dec 3, 2015
Many people are overestimating how much space you need for room-space VR. In reality you probably have enough room already, and if you don't then a few small tweaks might have you living in the virtual world ASAP!

Top Bottom