• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

"Several hours" is really not very long. Not long enough to make it worth avoiding finding a wired power solution at home, even if it does involve a bit of annoying cabling.

I intend on clipping the cable along and up the wall, and paint the cable the same colour. If you were to take the Vive on tour, you could just unscrew the lighthouses and use batteries, so you could leave the cabling intact.

Trouble is the whole Vive setup could then be overshadowed by having to bloody charge or replace batteries on everything. Both controllers, wireless headset, and then lighthouses.

I'm actively trying to avoid that, even bought a 0.3M 3.5mm jack lead to plug into the headset, instead of using it wirelessly. So then it's just the motion controllers that need charging.

pj

Banned
Nvidia claims Near Light Field Displays could dramatically decrease the chance of sickness. Won't foveated rendering also help?

We could get rid of it, or hell, get use to it. The human body is able to adapt to changing conditions. We got use to cars, why wouldn't we get use to VR?

You seem to claim we will never get these experiences. I think we will and we will get them with a traditional style joystick or even leaning.

People have had these headsets for years and from what I've heard, you can train yourself a little bit to tolerate the stuff that causes motion sickness, but not drastically so. We can get used to cars because we are actually moving in a car. It's not the same thing at all. Btw I'm in my 30s and I still can't read or be on my phone too much in a car or I'll start getting that stomach churning feeling.

Foveated rendering is for performance, the point of it is to only render what you're looking at. There shouldn't be any perceivable difference compared to regular rendering.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
People have had these headsets for years and from what I've heard, you can train yourself a little bit to tolerate the stuff that causes motion sickness, but not drastically so. We can get used to cars because we are actually moving in a car. It's not the same thing at all. Btw I'm in my 30s and I still can't read or be on my phone too much in a car or I'll start getting that stomach churning feeling.

Foveated rendering is for performance, the point of it is to only render what you're looking at. There shouldn't be any perceivable difference compared to regular rendering.

Are you finding VR difficult?

Compsiox

Banned
This is less about desire and more about realistic expectations of the user play space. I have watched the hover junkie vid with them showing off all sorts of limited environments and I am still not convinced that any of those represent the multitude (thousands) of possible scenarios people could face with adapting their enviornment to room scale.

Also, I don't want this to be an Oculus vs Vive thing because this discussion needs to be more forward thinking than that.

Some of the conversations about Room Scale have me extremely excited I Just feel like there are those who aren't really seeing the potential limitations of real world situations. That's not a knock on the tech, that's just reality.

All I said is more people. Not everyone. I'm sure there are many people who have enough space and are getting Rift over Vive too.

pj

Banned
Because the people running the demo at Rice ran theirs off of batteries for a week.

What size battery?

This is a battery
F37QWDXH4AGJ02F.MEDIUM.jpg

This is also a battery
DSC_4915-980x652.jpg

All I said is more people. Not everyone. I'm sure there are many people who have enough space and are getting Rift over Vive too.

The good news is that over the next year we are going to have a really good idea about what works and doesn't when it comes to VR in the home enviornment.

It's finally here.

pj

Banned
Are you finding VR difficult?

I've only used a gearVR and didn't have problems. I will try the controller based stuff to see how well I tolerate it when I get my vive in May, but I am more interested in playing and creating room scale experiences.

Krejlooc

Banned
Nvidia claims Near Light Field Displays could dramatically decrease the chance of sickness. Won't foveated rendering also help?

We're talking about two different things, and different types of sicknesses. Games like COD naturally are going to make people sick because of the way you move in those games. Even if we could simulate reality perfectly, with like matrix-style levels of neurocommunication, I would still say games like COD would make people sick because the way people move in those games is not like how people are used to moving in real life. They're way too fast.

We could get rid of it, or hell, get use to it. The human body is able to adapt to changing conditions. We got use to cars, why wouldn't we get use to VR?

Sure, some people could get used to it. Myself? I am completely immune to VR sickness. I have never gotten it, and I've run some gnarly demos. I've done VR at 30 FPS and my stomach never turned.

There would undoubtedly be some people who could stomach it, even train to stomach it. But I don't ever see those types of experiences becoming the norm for VR. Rather, I think we'll find more naturally compelling gameplay experiences for the language of VR. VR is it's own medium, you have to respect that. That will mean entirely different kinds of content.

You seem to claim we will never get these experiences. I think we will and we will get them with a traditional style joystick on a controller held in our left (or right) hand. Once this "Room scale tracking" stuff goes the way of the dodo.

I claim we'll never get experiences quite like COD, yeah. But I don't doubt we'll see military shooters. They'll just be constrained to room-scale environments. I don't see room scale going the way of the dodo, because room scale does so much correct.

To give an analogy, I see early VR games using room scale being designed with a similar mindset to the way we designed single-screen arcade games back in the late 70's and early 80's. I think redirected walking will usher in a "scrolling" age of VR, but much like how video game scrolling techniques built off of the hardware practices of single screen games, so too will redirected walking build off of room scale tracking.

Either that or we will all start buying omni-directional treadmills. Would do wonders for America's obesity problem (I plan on getting one once the tech matures some).

I have an omnidirectional treadmill. I like it and use it every day. For someone like you, who really wants to play the games we have today in VR, I'd actually really recommend one to you. I've played games that I couldn't play with room scale tracking, that I wasn't willing to play sitting down in my seat with an xbox controller in hand, in VR, using it.

Actually, the best game I've played on my Omni is probably Dear Esther. And that game controls basically like Half Life 2.

Nekofrog

Banned
What is the better option between the high end VR setups for a family member who has cerebral palsy and is unable to stand/move around without assistance? Is there a better or preferred "stationary" device?

Krejlooc

Banned
What is the better option between the high end VR setups for a family member who has cerebral palsy and is unable to stand/move around without assistance? Is there a better or preferred "stationary" device?

The rift targets a seated experience, so definitely the rift.

Cartman86

Banned

The Vive can do stationary experiences, but due to the room scale support most devs seem to be designing games that require the user to move around and poke the world using tracked controllers. The majority of games that are designed for stationary experiences will be found on the Oculus Rift or PlaystationVR right now.

Krisprolls

Banned
Every discussion about Room Scale feels like those old Kinect threads where everybody here said it would be great. Then Kinect / Move launched and it became old pretty fast.

Wii / Kinect / Move didn't fail because tracking was bad (tracking was actually good) , they failed because people mostly want to sit when they play video games. It will be the same in VR. They'll want to sit.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
We're talking about two different things, and different types of sicknesses. Games like COD naturally are going to make people sick because of the way you move in those games. Even if we could simulate reality perfectly, with like matrix-style levels of neurocommunication, I would still say games like COD would make people sick because the way people move in those games is not like how people are used to moving in real life. They're way too fast.

Sure, some people could get used to it. Myself? I am completely immune to VR sickness. I have never gotten it, and I've run some gnarly demos. I've done VR at 30 FPS and my stomach never turned.

There would undoubtedly be some people who could stomach it, even train to stomach it. But I don't ever see those types of experiences becoming the norm for VR. Rather, I think we'll find more naturally compelling gameplay experiences for the language of VR. VR is it's own medium, you have to respect that. That will mean entirely different kinds of content.

I claim we'll never get experiences quite like COD, yeah. But I don't doubt we'll see military shooters. They'll just be constrained to room-scale environments. I don't see room scale going the way of the dodo, because room scale does so much correct.

To give an analogy, I see early VR games using room scale being designed with a similar mindset to the way we designed single-screen arcade games back in the late 70's and early 80's. I think redirected walking will usher in a "scrolling" age of VR, but much like how video game scrolling techniques built off of the hardware practices of single screen games, so too will redirected walking build off of room scale tracking.

I have an omnidirectional treadmill. I like it and use it every day. For someone like you, who really wants to play the games we have today in VR, I'd actually really recommend one to you. I've played games that I couldn't play with room scale tracking, that I wasn't willing to play sitting down in my seat with an xbox controller in hand, in VR, using it.

Actually, the best game I've played on my Omni is probably Dear Esther. And that game controls basically like Half Life 2.

Ahh i see, we are talking about different things.

Your point about nausea. So VR Sickness is in your stomach? I get Nausea in my head (sorta like sinus pressure or even mild vertigo). I have never gotten stomach sick from nausea, not even when riding in a car. Maybe I will be ok?

My car sickness goes away after I set the AC to blow wind in my face. Maybe I can do that LOL. Just have a fan blowing in my face :p.

What treadmill do you have? What do you recommend? Does it actually give you good exorcise? (that's how I can convince the wife)

Lingitiz

Sitting here with my PSVR pre-order and thinking about going for one of the PC headsets instead. The Oculus IMO offers more appealing games at the moment, and it seems like they have some in-house development that could be really cool. But the Vive seems like better tech even though I don't know what games I want to try outside of a select few. Can anyone offer some insight?

Krejlooc

Banned
Every discussion about Room Scale feels like those old Kinect threads where everybody here said it would be great. Then Kinect / Move launched and it became old pretty fast.

Wii / Kinect / Move didn't fail because tracking was bad (tracking was actually good) , they failed because people mostly want to sit when they play video games. It will be the same in VR. They'll want to sit.

Kinect's tracking actually is bad.

Wii and Move didn't fail (the wii was the most popular device out there dude), but rather we reached the limits of what motion controls can do from a non-VR perspective. There are many visual cues we need in order to, say, properly swing a baseball bat to connect with a baseball. You can get some of those from a behind the back perspective, but the more complex the action required of the player, the more cumbersome motion controls feels.

Motion controls didn't fall out of style because people didn't want to move around. That's arguably what made them explode in popularity. They failed because standing across your room moving your arm and watching a guy on a screen on the other side of the room move his arm in sync from an entirely different perspective doesn't feel right. And, because of that, those systems weren't able to produce the kind of motion control content people had been asking for since day one (Light sabre duels, shooting galleries, etc).

Those types of experiences are now possible in VR. In short, thanks to room scale tracking, we can live out a lot of the promise showcased in those early Wii and Move E3 demo videos that never came to pass.

Zalusithix

Tracking when you're totally aware of your real environment and facing the same direction the entire time is not the same thing as tracking in a room scale VR experience. Extrapolation from one to the other is pointless.

Krejlooc

Banned
Ahh i see, we are talking about different things.

Your point about nausea. So VR Sickness is in your stomach? I get Nausea in my head (sorta like sinus pressure or even mild vertigo). I have never gotten stomach sick from nausea, not even when riding in a car. Maybe I will be ok?

So the terms for general vr sickness, sometimes erroneously called motion sickness, is actually an umbrella term for several similar sicknesses caused by different things.

Some people get vertigo from playing vr - technically not a fault of the tech (its acting as intended) but rather poor software design. I can easily induce vertigo in a demo by placing someone high up, as you would get vertigo in real life doing this. Which is to say, doing things in VR that would make you sick in real life, will probably make you sick in VR as well. You can't expect to be Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes - part of the reason we don't do backflips left and right all over the place is because doing so, for an average person, would end in vomit. It's no different in VR. Some early demos do stupid shit like making you run at the IRL equivalent of 70 mph through rotating corridors and people wonder why they get sick. With Half Life 2 VR, we've actually spent significant amounts of time adjusting walking and running speeds, redesigning areas to cut back on crazy jumps you need to make - because expecting players to do that is unfeasible. We're not superhumans IRL.

Some experience sickness because they can perceive the latency between their head moving and the world updating - low persistence strobing oled has effectively solved this. By strobing the display with essentially black frames fractions of a seconds after they scan out, our bodies take advantage of a natural phenomenon our brains use to "fill in" the gaps of the missing pieces of animation. Hence, by simply not drawing anything to the screen at all, our brains will do the missing work for us, which winds up feeling much more comfortable.

Some experience vestibulochoclear disconnect, where there cochlear fluid in their ear isn't moving the way their eyes say they are. This is essentially unsolvable at the moment and depends on your personal limits. There are two frames of thought on how to solve this:

1) electric stimulation of your cochlear to make you feel like your choclear fluid is actually moving (good luck getting a guinea pig for that, zapping your brain with an electric charge)

Or 2) actually make the person move irl to cause harmony between their cochlear and what they see.

In terms of vestibulocochlear disconnect, not all motions are created equal. Cardinal translation isn't bad - moving forward, backwards, stafing - we use parallax cues to figure out the expected motion and our bodies adjust, only feeling discomfort at the start of the motion, and mild at that. Rotation is the killer, so the solution is to either place the player in a swivel chair so they can physically rotate or some other omnidirectional treadmill.

Our studies have uncovered an interesting phenomenon, however - expected motion severely limits your discomfort. To conceptualize this, we built a demo using positional tracked hands. In the demo, you can reach out and grab the world by closing your hand, at which point the movement of your hand translates the world around you. In essence you are grabbing and shaking the world.... nobody gets sick. Play back the same translation without using your hands, people get sick to their gills.

With that in mind, we're toying with a hand operated method of locomotion where you basically "swim" through the environment without using your feet, and it's producing neat results.

Still other people get sick because they can perceive the screen flicker - 90 hz is where it becomes imperceptible pretty much universally. At 75 hz on the dk2, I can perceive it in my peculiarity periphery but it doesn't make me sick. 120 hz is preferred over 90, however, because 60, 30, 24, etc divides evenly into 120, allowing for native frequency playback of, say, standard television or movie content within the context of a virtual screen. Samsung can actually drive Gear VR up to 70 hz, but since it has a focus on media playback, 60 hz was deemed a better refresh rate because it could natively play back movies at their natural frequency.

EDIT: Forgot one - some people got sick with Dk1 simply because the tracking wasn't close enough to their IRL position, and we have strong proprioception in our head and hands (the ability to know where we are in 3D space without visual cues). Our heads would say we were moving into one position, and our eyes would say another. The biggest offender was the lack of any positional tracking in DK1 at all - only pitch, yaw, and rotation, no X, Y, or Z. DK2 does X, Y, and Z in a forward 180 degrees. CV1 and Morpheus will do X,Y, and Z in full 360 degrees.

This is often something people miss - the need to match our proprioception as close as possible is incredibly, massively important and something that didn't really approach acceptable levels until the last 5 or so years. You hear it repeated often - we need sub-millimeter accuracy with our positional tracking, or else most people can tell that it's "off."

In short, nobody can tell you if your girlfriend will get sick without knowing why she gets sick playing fps games in the first place. She'll just have to try it. My sister in law got violently ill from dk1 for over a day, yet she could do gear vr for hours. Apparently the low persistence solved her sim sickness.

EDIT: I typed this on my phone, I'm going through and correcting all the mistakes.

What treadmill do you have? What do you recommend? Does it actually give you good exorcise? (that's how I can convince the wife)

I have a Virtuix Omni. I wrote a review about it in another topic: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1195347

Palmer made an /r/Oculus post, saying he'd answer the highest-voted question. As of right now, that question is this:

I'll preface this by saying I believe the Rift is a superior product based on what I have heard, I really really appreciate all of Oculus, and I have ordered both the Rift and HTC Vive for development. However, can we please get the straight dope on HTC Vive support in the Oculus Store? Exactly what is happening, who is at fault, what is Oculus doing to bring HTC Vive support to the Oculus Store and who is stopping this from happening? And if this won't be resolved in the immediate future, what is Oculus doing to ensure most people spend most of their VR time in Oculus Home, not SteamVR?
The Vive has obviously proven itself to be a good system and Oculus obviously would welcome the software sales. Myself and most people here would surely love to buy ALL their games on the Oculus Store only, but the current situation is making that unlikely. THANKS!!!

taoofjord

Based on the amount of people shitting on Roomscale or just not having the required amount of space to use it, I'm a little nervous that it could get dropped by devs in a year or two. It's too amazing to get dropped.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Kinect's tracking actually is bad.

Wii and Move didn't fail (the wii was the most popular device out there dude), but rather we reached the limits of what motion controls can do from a non-VR perspective. There are many visual cues we need in order to, say, properly swing a baseball bat to connect with a baseball. You can get some of those from a behind the back perspective, but the more complex the action required of the player, the more cumbersome motion controls feels.

Motion controls didn't fall out of style because people didn't want to move around. That's arguably what made them explode in popularity. They failed because standing across your room moving your arm and watching a guy on a screen on the other side of the room move his arm in sync from an entirely different perspective doesn't feel right. And, because of that, those systems weren't able to produce the kind of motion control content people had been asking for since day one (Light sabre duels, shooting galleries, etc).

Those types of experiences are now possible in VR. In short, thanks to room scale tracking, we can live out a lot of the promise showcased in those early Wii and Move E3 demo videos that never came to pass.

Is anyone making a home run derby game?

Or golf, fucking hell, Golf would be great.

Fret

Sitting here with my PSVR pre-order and thinking about going for one of the PC headsets instead. The Oculus IMO offers more appealing games at the moment, and it seems like they have some in-house development that could be really cool. But the Vive seems like better tech even though I don't know what games I want to try outside of a select few. Can anyone offer some insight?

Personally I don't think Oculus actually has many compelling VR launch games, most of them are games that could be in 2D. Sure, they're enhanced by VR but the Vive is actually offering an entirely new gameplay experience

Krejlooc

Banned
Is anyone making a home run derby game?

Or golf, fucking hell, Golf would be great.

Cloudlands Mini Golf is coming for the Vive (and maybe rift later, I'm not sure) and it looks absolutely amazing. Since they aren't constrained by the limits of reality, they can create unrealistically fantastical courses. And because you only need a small area to walk on, it translates to room scale fine. You just teleport to your ball when you hit it, then can walk (and observe the course) around your room.

There is also a tennis and general sports game coming, the latter I believe being the big game they're pushing for Oculus Touch.

Based on the amount of people shitting on Roomscale or just not having the required amount of space to use it, I'm a little nervous that it could get dropped by devs in a year or two. It's too amazing to get dropped.

This isn't about shitting on Room Scale.

The tech is great.

It's about how feasible it will be in real world environments, offices and bedrooms that are by no means built for the experiences some people want to have.

There are people in this thread talking about ceiling mounted wire solutions. That's not a realistic solution for most people.

I could be wrong and things could work out and the scaling and chaperone could do an incredible job of adapting to play spaces with little issue.

I am just not convinced that room scale is going to see wide adoption. That isn't a problem with the technology though.

Maybe if the ordering process wasn't designed by a couple monkeys I would know when my account is going to be charged $600. :/
So I know when to cancel by and go with the Vive.

If you want to get a Vive, cancel your Rift now. Why wait?

Cloudlands Mini Golf is coming for the Vive (and maybe rift later, I'm not sure) and it looks absolutely amazing. Since they aren't constrained by the limits of reality, they can create unrealistically fantastical courses. And because you only need a small area to walk on, it translates to room scale fine. You just teleport to your ball when you hit it, then can walk (and observe the course) around your room.

There is also a tennis and general sports game coming, the latter I believe being the big game they're pushing for Oculus Touch.

Isnt the Cloudlands Minigolf running pretty bad on a 970 though? The computerbase article said if you dont have a 980 IIRC, then its not a good experience.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They could have provided white power cables. Why are cables always black, the least likely colour to blend into your home decor

Krejlooc

Banned

While cancelling your rift order might be a gentlemanly thing to do, I won't shit on anybody who decides they don't want to keep the rift, but keeps their early preorder to flip. This hardware is expensive. It's a significant investment for many people. Without a doubt rift prices will sore those first couple of months on the second hand market. You can essentially get someone else to finance your vive for you by selling your rift.

Fret

The tech is great.

It's about how feasible it will be in real world environments, offices and bedrooms that are by no means built for the experiences some people want to have.

There are people in this thread talking about ceiling mounted wire solutions. That's not a realistic solution for most people.

I could be wrong and things could work out and the scaling and chaperone could do an incredible job of adapting to play spaces with little issue.

I am just not convinced that room scale is going to see wide adoption. That isn't a problem with the technology though.

More than enough people have space for room scale to exist.

Mostly because the actual space you need isn't very large at all, a 360 standing experience is better than a 180 one

So, HTC has confirmed that people will start RECEIVING their Vives on April 5th. They're not shipping on that day; they're shipping before.

You first wavers are lucky!

Zalusithix

Those of us talking about fancy cable management solutions aren't doing so because it's required. You'll find people talking about doing relatively extreme things in all hobbies.

taoofjord

The tech is great.

I saw your post and know you aren't shitting on it. But there has been plenty of it going on already here and on Reddit. The point, though, is that you're right, it's not super realistic to think it will gain widespread acceptance. Not for a long time at least. But for those of us that are getting the Vive and dig the tech, it's a little worrying to think that this amazing way to interact with the environment could get dropped from future iterations of the hardware or not be supported by devs.

More than enough people have space for room scale to exist.

Mostly because the actual space you need isn't very large at all, a 360 standing experience is better than a 180 one

360 isn't room scale.

Room scale assumes that you're going to have enough space to at least move around in a virtual environment without being warned that you are going to bump into something every couple of seconds.

So, HTC has confirmed that people will start RECEIVING their Vives on April 5th. They're not shipping on that day; they're shipping before.

Oculus. You have already lost the shipping game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Kinect was tech with promise and people bought into the idea of it. Then they tried it and it was mostly shit.

The difference with VR is that people have tried it and the emperor is actually wearing clothes this time.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I have a Virtuix Omni. I wrote a review about it in another topic: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1195347

Hmm, didn't know Virtrix is in Austin. I live in College Station and could do a local pick up on one. I assume you live in Texas as well? Is there a weight limit for it?

As far as the sickness. Couldn't the vestibular motion sickness be lessened by allowing a person to turn in place, but move forward,backwards, strafe left and right by other means (leaning, joystick, etc)? From what I read right there, it is turning that is the real kicker.

Maybe if the ordering process wasn't designed by a couple monkeys I would know when my account is going to be charged $600. :/
So I know when to cancel by and go with the Vive.

Totally, but I don't see any sense in asking a question that will inevitably be answered anyway in the next couple of days.

Krejlooc

Banned

I've sent 3 support tickets to HTC trying to find out what wave I'm in, and I've gotten 3 "we'll get back to you" responses, but no actual answer. It's annoying. I mistakenly filled out one for the EU store as well, and they also sent me a "we'll get back to you" response, but followed up about a minute later with the answer (although it was blank because the EU store wasn't sending me anything).

I'm confident I'm in the first wave - I ordered within the first 4 minutes - but I'd like confirmation. I was within the first 7 minutes for the Rift, yet somehow slipped to the second shipment.

Krejlooc

Banned
Hmm, didn't know Virtrix is in Austin. I live in College Station and could do a local pick up on one. I assume you live in Texas as well?

If you're curious to try, I run a developers group out of Houston. Every third thursday of the month we hold open meetings at a hackerspace where we discuss VR development, buisness practices, and also demo VR to the public. We have speakers who come out, too. Last month we had AltSpace come out.

I believe (don't hold me to it, things could change) we will have the Omni's out next meeting for people to try. We'll also have Vives so you could try both the omni and room scale tracking back to back if you'd like.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you the group info if you're interested. Only stipulation for attendance - no maroon.

As far as the sickness. Couldn't the vestibular motion sickness be lessened by allowing a person to turn in place, but move forward,backwards, strafe left and right by other means (leaning, joystick, etc)? From what I read right there, it is turning that is the real kicker.

YES! And this is what I was saying earlier in this thread - you don't need room scale tracking if all you're looking for is lateral rotation. The Rift can do that with a single camera.

That's not an endorsement of playing with an Xbox pad and single camera, mind you, just saying that can work. I still think roomscale tracking is superior to just rotating in space that way because you can, as an example, hop forward or back or jump or lean or any number of natural motions we'd do realistically if we were in a gun fight.

I'm surprised the top question isn't 'when will the first units be shipping to people' or 'room scale - are you actively trying to get there with touch'

From his post:

(Don't waste your upvotes asking about granular shipping updates, that is happening soon, no amount of questions will make it happen faster)

I think a question about room scale would be better than the current front runner.

Top Bottom