• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The High-end VR Discussion Thread (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Playstation VR)

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Cloudlands Mini Golf is coming for the Vive (and maybe rift later, I'm not sure) and it looks absolutely amazing. Since they aren't constrained by the limits of reality, they can create unrealistically fantastical courses. And because you only need a small area to walk on, it translates to room scale fine. You just teleport to your ball when you hit it, then can walk (and observe the course) around your room.

There is also a tennis and general sports game coming, the latter I believe being the big game they're pushing for Oculus Touch.

I would pay ungoldly amounts of money to play on real golf courses in VR. I assume I would need Vive for that (were the experience to exist)?

Golf alone could change my mind on Room scale as long as it was 1 to 1 for swing tracking (hence the need for vive right?). Yes Cloudlands looks incredible.

I am getting a PSVR to try and see if I can hack it (and not get sick). I figure if I am ok with that then I will spend more money on a second gen VR device and an Omni.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This isn't about shitting on Room Scale.

The tech is great.

It's about how feasible it will be in real world environments, offices and bedrooms that are by no means built for the experiences some people want to have.

There are people in this thread talking about ceiling mounted wire solutions. That's not a realistic solution for most people.

I could be wrong and things could work out and the scaling and chaperone could do an incredible job of adapting to play spaces with little issue.

I am just not convinced that room scale is going to see wide adoption. That isn't a problem with the technology though.

If you want to get a Vive, cancel your Rift now. Why wait?

The people thinking about ceiling mounts are the enthusiasts of the enthusiasts. The range of room scale will go from that down to literally standing in front of your desk and spinning on the spot. Surely quite a few people can manage that even if they can't manage the headline 15x15ft space?

I've been playing with reconfiguring my spare room and I can definitely get 1.5m x 2m, but I think that doesn't give you much space to move - more like wave your arms about and maybe a sidestep left/right

The people thinking about ceiling mounts are the enthusiasts of the enthusiasts. The range of room scale will go from that down to literally standing in front of your desk and spinning on the spot. Surely quite a few people can manage that even if they can't manage the headline 15x15ft space?

I've been playing with reconfiguring my spare room and I can definitely get 1.5m x 2m, but I think that doesn't give you much space to move - more like wave your arms about and maybe a sidestep left/right

Like I mentioned above, the reason people are excited about room scale isn't for a standing experience were you spin around in one spot. That just isn't room scale. It's about moving in a virtual world while also having just enough space in the real world to accommodate that movement. That's not just involving a 360 degree experience. That is taking steps and as soon as you ask the user to take steps you need to have enough space for them to move, walk forward, turn and walk back. There's a realistic limit to that sort of movement in physical space that you simply can't get around.

b0bbyJ03

FYI the MS store has a Vive demo. Don't know if all of them will but the one on 5th in NYC has it and I just got to try it out. Holy fuck was I blown away. Recommend that anyone that lives in NY goes and try it.

Qassim

The shipping info above sort of backs this up as well (for Europe):

fXcmqun.png

Hope it's true!

Edit: Didn't realise he responded again confirming it to be arriving starting the 5th!

FYI the MS store has a Vive demo. Don't know if all of them will but the one on 5th in NYC has it and I just got to try it out. Holy fuck was I blown away. Recommend that anyone that lives in NY goes and try it.

Ooo, I will definitely be checking this out. What demos did they have?

Krisprolls

Banned
Those types of experiences are now possible in VR. In short, thanks to room scale tracking, we can live out a lot of the promise showcased in those early Wii and Move E3 demo videos that never came to pass.

I disagree. People really want to sit when they play you know. They have jobs and tiring lives. They need a break.

Still, I see the potential. I could buy a Vive if enough people get on board and it makes some big games possible.

I just think too many people won't want to walk around for hours and those who'll like it won't have the room needed for that more often than not.

b0bbyJ03

Ooo, I will definitely be checking this out. What demos did they have?

They had an underwater demo where you're standing on a sunken ship, one called space pirates iirc where u have a gun and a shield and u shoot these probe looking things, and one where u paint in 3D space. All amazing. Felt the the first time I saw Mario 64. Haven't been that blown away since and the incredible part is that the resolution was not so great (u can clearly see the grid) and the graphics were very basic yet the feeling of being there was undeniable.

Zalusithix

I disagree. People really want to sit when they play you know. They have jobs and tiring lives. They need a break.

Still, I see the potential. I could buy a Vive if enough people get on board and it makes some big games possible.

I just think too many people won't want to walk around for hours and those who'll like it won't have the room needed for that more often than not.

Yeah, people have jobs, so they never do anything that requires movement on their time off. Nobody goes to gyms, bikes, runs, walks, yoga, <insert other common activities here>. Just because there's a subset of people that play games who refuse to ever get off their asses, doesn't mean everybody is that way. Hell, if you have a desk job, getting off your butt can be a welcome change of pace.

Just saw a link to a video on reddit from last year, which is basically this

I just thought of a method of locomotion in VR that I haven't heard of before.

You could have a game that is both third and first person. For example, you could stay put in one area while being in first person to shoot some enemies. Then, to move to a new location, you could zoom out to third person and move the character around (like Chronos or something) to a new location and then zoom back in to first person to shoot enemies again.

Let me know what you think or if that has already been demoed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nnkw8s4zf4

the devs posted on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/user/Ayfel

teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waTpVFOBfNs

really not sure about that music

Krejlooc

Banned

You disagree? You can still think people are too lazy to play games and agree with what I said. Nothing I said was incorrect. The type of motion controls in VR are vastly different from the type of motion control experiences your comparisons offered.

You didn't even try to argue against my interpretation, only to say I was wholly wrong. Do you somehow think the motion control experience in VR is not superior to what the Wii offered?

TheBear

I just bought a PS4 Camera in anticipation of PSVR and it raised some questions when I was setting it up, as it tracks your face and the light on the DS4 to tell where you are in the room.

Will the PSVR head track work at all if the camera is not facing you directly, or not picking up the light sensors? The tracking on the DS4 seemed a bit off when I was sitting on my couch which is about 8ft away, which makes me wonder if I want to play games sitting down will I need to sit right in front of the camera.

Also, are all the Move games predominately standing experiences?

I guess I'm trying to work out what sort of space is going to be required to use this thing

I just bought a PS4 Camera in anticipation of PSVR and it raised some questions when I was setting it up, as it tracks your face and the light on the DS4 to tell where you are in the room.

Will the PSVR head track work at all if the camera is not facing you directly, or not picking up the light sensors? The tracking on the DS4 seemed a bit off when I was sitting on my couch which is about 8ft away, which makes me wonder if I want to play games sitting down will I need to sit right in front of the camera.

Also, are all the Move games predominately standing experiences?

I guess I'm trying to work out what sort of space is going to be required to use this thing

I think it's safe to assume that PSVR games will be stationary standing games at best, and probably seated experiences mostly. The HMD has lights on the back, so you have full 360 tracking, but it's simply not capable of Vive-style room scale.

Krisprolls

Banned
You disagree? You can still think people are too lazy to play games and agree with what I said. Nothing I said was incorrect. The type of motion controls in VR are vastly different from the type of motion control experiences your comparisons offered.

You didn't even try to argue against my interpretation, only to say I was wholly wrong. Do you somehow think the motion control experience in VR is not superior to what the Wii offered?

I agree it's superior in every way. But it doesn't change the fact you have to stand up and walk. That's the problem.

viveks86

I sit at my job the whole freaking day. I really don't mind moving a bit if the movement is accurate and aids immersion, unlike most motion control games that just want us to flail around haphazardly and laugh at each other.

When I'm lazy, I don't play games. I watch reruns on TV. Or browse GAF.

Having said that, may be you just want to sit when you play. And I'm sure there are others out there. But are you the majority? Only time will tell.

If wanting to sit down was every gamer's permanent state of mind, the Wii would never have succeeded in the first place. It fizzled out for other reasons, not because it required you to stand up and move.

taoofjord

Jeez, you're really over generalizing here. Not to mention making major assumptions on what kinds of software we'll see that utilize it. There will be kill kinds of games and experiences that use it. Many won't have you moving nonstop and many won't have you moving more than you would going to the grocery store or mall.

So, HTC has confirmed that people will start RECEIVING their Vives on April 5th. They're not shipping on that day; they're shipping before.

You first wavers are lucky!

I've sent 3 support tickets to HTC trying to find out what wave I'm in, and I've gotten 3 "we'll get back to you" responses, but no actual answer. It's annoying. I mistakenly filled out one for the EU store as well, and they also sent me a "we'll get back to you" response, but followed up about a minute later with the answer (although it was blank because the EU store wasn't sending me anything).

I'm confident I'm in the first wave - I ordered within the first 4 minutes - but I'd like confirmation. I was within the first 7 minutes for the Rift, yet somehow slipped to the second shipment.

That's awesome, where did you glean that info from?

I just got an email just now that says shipping 4/5 from htc.

It would be my pleasure to help you out with the request you have; I took the liberty to check the order status and it shows that the product will be shipped on April luckily under the first batch that will take place on April the 5th. Keep in mind that you would be notified on your email with the tracking number so you would know exactly when the item will be delivered. This is the information that we can provide you at the moment according to your inquiry. Have a nice day!

TheBear

I think it's safe to assume that PSVR games will be stationary standing games at best, and probably seated experiences mostly. The HMD has lights on the back, so you have full 360 tracking, but it's simply not capable of Vive-style room scale.

I guess I was more thinking about me sitting on my ass a reasonable distance from the TV and whether that would mess with the head tracking. Do we know how long the cables are?

Also, this is one for pretty much everyone here. Where are you going to put your HMD when it's not on your noggin?

I just got an email just now that says shipping 4/5 from htc.

It would be my pleasure to help you out with the request you have; I took the liberty to check the order status and it shows that the product will be shipped on April luckily under the first batch that will take place on April the 5th. Keep in mind that you would be notified on your email with the tracking number so you would know exactly when the item will be delivered. This is the information that we can provide you at the moment according to your inquiry. Have a nice day!

I was told April 1st the other day, and with the confirmation by the tweet and others, I think we'll receive the 5th.

So, HTC has confirmed that people will start RECEIVING their Vives on April 5th. They're not shipping on that day; they're shipping before.

You first wavers are lucky!

I know, right? Hopefully it'll only be 2 weeks before you second wavers peasants get your hands on your vives (really feel for you guys, had to wait an extra month for my DK2 and that felt like forever)

newsguy

I know, right? Hopefully it'll only be 2 weeks before you second wavers peasants get your hands on your vives (really feel for you guys, had to wait an extra month for my DK2 and that felt like forever)

Well their pre order page says that if I order today I get mine in May, so I would hope second wavers get them very shortly after first wavers

artsi

Vive already giving concrete shipping details while Oculus can't even give you an accurate order page.

Lol

It's not like HTC has done a stellar job with their outsourced support either, I trust the shipping dates will be assigned this week anyway and they're starting on monday.

I guess I was more thinking about me sitting on my ass a reasonable distance from the TV and whether that would mess with the head tracking. Do we know how long the cables are?

Also, this is one for pretty much everyone here. Where are you going to put your HMD when it's not on your noggin?

Ooh, yeah I kinda misinterpreted you. I don't know about distance from the camera.

That's a great question. I already have microphones and headsets and shit lying around my computer, two headset are going to be even cluttered.

Hale-XF11

Maybe if more people had the DK2, more people would desire room scale. The tracking space is very limiting and leaves you wanting so much more.
Makes me wonder how soon regret will set in for those who opted to get the Rift instead of the Vive.

It wasn't very long after owning a DK2 that I really wanted more freedom to move around.

jack....

Your order has been processed and your Rift is almost on its way! Look for a shipping confirmation email with tracking information soon.

Please keep this email handy for reference. If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please contact Oculus Support.
Woooo

Mindlog

So a very long time ago I had to power a custom rotating Christmas display. The easiest method that avoided wire damage meant cutting it, soldering metal tips and letting those tips rest against spinning metal rings. A brush contact would achieve the same goal. I wonder if that idea will work for a USB signal. That would be handy for... reasons. Commence the testing!

Peltz

So is everyone on board with saying the Vive is the best? Or does the Rift (or even PSVR) do any things that the Vive cannot do?

I'll be grabbing a PSVR (just due to not having a gaming PC), but I'm just intellectually curious about this.

So is everyone on board with saying the Vive is the best? Or does the Rift (or even PSVR) do any things that the Vive cannot do?

I'll be grabbing a PSVR (just due to not having a gaming PC), but I'm just intellectually curious about this.
Rift has potentially a better headset (optics, comfort, audio etc.) and day one software, but Vive has far better controls and room scale tracking out of the box.

Sky Chief

IMO Vive is the most flexible and impressive hardware system but I am getting all the because of exclusive games

Peltz

Rift has potentially a better headset (optics, comfort, audio etc.) and day one software, but Vive has far better controls and room scale tracking out of the box.

Interesting. I used DK2 at PAX East in 2015 (was amazing), how do each of the three final products compare to that?

Mindlog

IMO Vive is clearly the 'high-end.' Apologies to everyone that takes that as a slight as this is not intended as such. Rift and PSVR (the headsets I will own) offer an outstanding VR experience that together with Vive set the current gen standard.

I now submit that the gen we are in be called CV1. Not asking for opinions because that's what I'm calling it :]

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
IMO Vive is clearly the 'high-end.' Apologies to everyone that takes that as a slight as this is not intended as such. Rift and PSVR (the headsets I will own) offer an outstanding VR experience that together with Vive set the current gen standard.

I now submit that the gen we are in be called CV1. Not asking for opinions because that's what I'm calling it :]

I wouldn't so much call it "high-end" as I would "more complete". Since the Touch controllers don't come out for awhile.

The CV1 is plenty high-end and seems to have better optics and ergonomics. If room-scale is what your in for than the Vive is the obvious choice.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So I have a PSVR bundle pre-ordered, but I'm not sure if I should go for the Rift (not sure I want to drop the money on Vive). I haven't really read up on the software the Rift would allow me to access, and to be honest, I haven't done a ton of research on PSVR titles. I guess at this point I'm just not exactly sure which route I want to take.

Here are my SteamVR results (had firefox with a bunch of tabs open at the time, also)

Top Bottom