• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, that's the intended way the director wanted, so they showed it that way.

The problem is that the best moments of the movie aren’t as good as you’d hope for them to be - especially when weighed against the shocking bloat throughout. This isn’t King Kong, but it has the same pacing and padding issues. Even in its greatest moments, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the 4th best film in the series. It ends on a very high note, one that promises we’re over the initial hump, that the heavy expositionary lifting has been done, and that from here on out it’s going to be fun. But then you remember there’s six more hours, and realize you’re not even quite sure how Jackson made what happened in this movie last three hours.

Goddamnit, PJ

Wilbur

Banned
I've never done a film edit in my life, but for this movie I'm tempted to teach myself how to do it.

You haven't even seen the film yet :lol, or is this out of a case of just keeping what was in the Hobbit?

My fan edit of Fast Five is the best ever, by the way. Gonna upload it to the Internet when I can be fucked.

Cheebo

Banned
If box office performance is well below that was expected, I wouldn't be surprised if WB reversed plans for the 3rd film.

They already paid for the extra footage to be filmed. They can't gain any money by scrapping film 3. It's all budgeted out already. 3 films with medicore boxoffice make more than 2 films with medicore boxoffice when production costs are all already factored in.

Plus I highly doubt reviews will effect its chances at the boxoffice.

raphier

Banned
They already paid for the extra footage to be filmed. They can't gain any money by scrapping film 3. It's all budgeted out already. 3 films with medicore boxoffice make more than 2 films with medicore boxoffice when production costs are all already factored in.

who said they paid anything yet. Only Pre-production has been set in motion. They have time until late January to make the decisive action (cancellation). It's still highly unlikely to happen. If this turns into a scandal, only then it could happen. I don't see such massive backslash ever happening personally. It really has to piss people off.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
You haven't even seen the film yet :lol, or is this out of a case of just keeping what was in the Hobbit?

My fan edit of Fast Five is the best ever, by the way. Gonna upload it to the Internet when I can be fucked.

My guess is that fan edits will be faithful to the original novel and get rid of the extra LOTR appendices stuff (Saruman, Galadriel, etc).

Yep. Call me a purist or whatever, but I don't want anything added or subtracted from the Hobbit beyond what was necessary to make it filmable and an enjoyable experience. It's the second best selling novel of all time for a reason, it does not need anything added to it.

Film 1 will do well, just from the success of LOTR alone. But with the amount of negative publicity it's being getting (animal deaths, labor disputes, 48fps looking horrible, articles about people getting sick...) and now more importantly some of the high profile reviews being negative...it's creating a very negative buzz, the complete opposite of the LOTR days, and it's not going to attract people that weren't already going to see it.

Having said there, there are several very positive reviews out there and the reactions on twitter from people who have been to screenings has been almost all positive. But maybe thats just because the disappointed ones aren't tweeting, heh.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Film 1 will do well, just from the success of LOTR alone. But with the amount of negative publicity it's being getting (animal deaths, labor disputes, 48fps looking horrible, articles about people getting suck...) and now more importantly some of the high profile reviews being negative...it's creating a very negative buzz, the complete opposite of the LOTR days, and it's not going to attract people that weren't already going to see it.

People are getting sucked by The Hobbit? Go on..

A reviewer has uttered the words we all hoped to never hear...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=97646

Oh dear :(

strafer

A reviewer has uttered the words we all hoped to never hear...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews.php?id=97646

ux6eo95ay5.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey, that's the intended way the director wanted, so they showed it that way.

The problem is that the best moments of the movie aren’t as good as you’d hope for them to be - especially when weighed against the shocking bloat throughout. This isn’t King Kong, but it has the same pacing and padding issues. Even in its greatest moments, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the 4th best film in the series. It ends on a very high note, one that promises we’re over the initial hump, that the heavy expositionary lifting has been done, and that from here on out it’s going to be fun. But then you remember there’s six more hours, and realize you’re not even quite sure how Jackson made what happened in this movie last three hours.

Goddamnit, PJ

300 page book, one 3 hour movie - cool

3 movies? Hmm. 3, 3 hour movies? Oh no.

qindarka

Banned
Wouldn't it be better to watch the movie before judging it? GAF opinions on movies don't seem to correlate with RT that much.

Rootbeer

Banned
^ comingsoon.net: 6/10 -- damn.

I know that as a lifelong Tolkien reader and someone who actually does enjoy PJ's King Kong (as well as his other stuff) that I am sure to be pleased. But yeah, studio and PJ must be pretty antsy right now.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm actually enjoying this reaction. Seems to be one for the fans, but which fans? The LOTR film fans or Tolkien fans/purists/Tolkien scholars such as myself.

We shall see.

To quote Peter:
"This is a movie made for fans by fans"
And from McCarthy's review:
''Spending nearly three hours of screen time to visually represent every comma, period and semicolon in the first six chapters of the perennially popular 19-chapter book, Jackson and his colleagues have created a purist's delight, something the millions of die-hard fans of his Lord of the Rings trilogy will gorge upon. In pure movie terms, however, it's also a bit of a slog, with an inordinate amount of exposition and lack of strong forward movement.''

raphier

Banned
Edmond Dantès;45051892 said:
I'm actually enjoying this reaction. Seems to be one for the fans, but which fans? The LOTR film fans or Tolkien fans/purists/Tolkien scholars such as myself.

We shall see.

To quote Peter:
And from McCarthy's review:

well if they butchered the timeline, obviously not the purists. Maybe the gamers who loved the games ;)

I may sound crazy but i got a similar feeling to these responses when i started watching movies in HD. Watching a lot of HD movies just looks hyper real and for some reason it is off putting for me (the avengers is the first movie that comes to mind).

Still optimistic about this but some of these reviews don't sound that good. Not expecting this to be close to the original trilogy but will still be good.

I have to wonder, if the extended editions of LOTR were released originally and not the shorter theatrical versions, would there have been a lot more LOTR reviews with complaints about the films being bloated, padded and excessively long? Yet the EE's are almost every fan's favorite version now.

I'm still looking forward to opening day, but my expectations are lowered.

Solo

But only ONE of the three films is a better film due to the EE (TTT). FOTR and ROTK theatrical cuts are best.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
To quote J.R.R himself:
"It is perhaps not possible in a long tale to please everybody at all points, nor to displease everybody at the same points; for I find from the letters that I have received that the passages or chapters that are to some a blemish are all by others specially approved."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom