• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Unlikely. Episode I's plot is fundamentally unsound. We already know the basic Hobbit story. It's fine.
Ropey acting too, not an issue raised so far with AUJ. In fact many have been praising the likes of Martin, Richard and Sir Ian.

One reviewer has already claimed that Martin's Bilbo is the best hobbit depiction ever.

Edmond Dantès;45050603 said:

Hm. Ill wait to watch these.

Edmond Dantès;45047919 said:
Pretty much in line with what I was expecting. I've said it before and I'll say it again, no director should have a monopoly on Middle-earth. Guillermo's Hobbit adaptation seems like an almost forgotten dream.

New extended clips including Riddles in the Dark.

I wasn't talking to you!
Give him the contract
There is nobody home
Who did you tell about your quest?
Swords are named for the great deeds they do
Goblin chase

Ok, I only watched 'Goblin Chase" but that CG is awful. Holy shit. Some parts the actors are clearly CG, and they very much look inserted into the frames in other shots. Also, part of it gave me an Indiana Jones 4 Lucas-style cheese vibe, which I did not like.

inky

It really is a shame Guillermo walked out of The Hobbit...for a project that ended up dead anyway. Oh well.

I agree, if anything because it would've been a very interesting take on the aesthetics of ME.

I remember other ideas Guillermo talked about, like he was pushing for Smaug to have the head in the shape of a hammer and a kind of duality to its colors and scales.

He also talked about the costume design for the dwarfs complementing the color palette of each scene depending on the season that was represented on screen. For example, if a shot took place during fall, the prevalent colors would be a mix of red and gold, during winter would be silver and blue, etc. Also the horned helmets already mentioned.
Add to that the design of the "monsters". I guess the great shame is that we would've never had both PJ's version and GDT's one.

Gimli farts in Return of the King Extended Edition.

Shit, really? I can't remember that part. I used to watch the EEs constantly (I'm quite sure I've seen each EE over a dozen times), then I got responsibilities and had kids. Don't know when I sat down and watched them last. I still haven't even had the chance to crack open my Blu-ray EE set yet. I'll have to be on the lookout for the fart scene. When exactly was it in ROTK?

Ok, I only watched 'Goblin Chase" but that CG is awful. Holy shit. Some parts the actors are clearly CG, and they very much look inserted into the frames in other shots. Also, part of it gave me an Indiana Jones 4 Lucas-style cheese vibe, which I did not like.

It didn't look bad to me, granted it's a 720p YouTube clip but I didn't notice any "MAN that is obvious CGI" moments (even though we all know most of it is CGI)

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Shit, really? I can't remember that part. I used to watch the EEs constantly (I'm quite sure I've seen each EE over a dozen times), then I got responsibilities and had kids. Don't know when I sat down and watched them last. I still haven't even had the chance to crack open my Blu-ray EE set yet. I'll have to be on the lookout for the fart scene. When exactly was it in ROTK?

It was the scene where everyone is celebrating in Rohan after Helm's Deep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vUOwz11x0Y

Branduil

Let's predict the RottenTomatoes consensus:

Peter Jackson's return to Middle-Earth is full of visual wizardry, awe-inspiring cinematography, and comical characters, ultimately resulting in a thrilling and colorful fantasy adventure. However, this journey lacks the emotional weight and strong focus of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Plausible.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The bad reviews from the movie aren't attacking the book except for one. In fact most say the bloat ruined what was a classic novel.

No, these reviews have ruined everything about Tolkien. I can never enjoy anything written by that shitty hack again, so I pissed on the Silmarillion before I threw it on the bonfire.

I'm obviously kidding.

http://youtu.be/f_TJ-oDRr_Q

This may or may not be real :p

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Two pretty good examples of the look that Guillermo was going for with his Dwarves.

KingBalor.jpg

LaberintoKing_sm.JPG

I can imagine Guillermo wanting Rivendell to look something like this.

pl5.jpg

Altazor

No, these reviews have ruined everything about Tolkien. I can never enjoy anything written by that shitty hack again, so I pissed on the Silmarillion before I threw it on the bonfire.

I'm obviously kidding.

of course you're not! don't you know Tolkien couldn't write a plot to save his life? What a doofus. Also, he was a nazi, an occultist that practiced black magick and sacrificed babies to jahbulon.

jett

D-Member
Edmond Dantès;45047919 said:
Pretty much in line with what I was expecting. I've said it before and I'll say it again, no director should have a monopoly on Middle-earth. Guillermo's Hobbit adaptation seems like an almost forgotten dream.

New extended clips including Riddles in the Dark.

I wasn't talking to you!
Give him the contract
There is nobody home
Who did you tell about your quest?
Swords are named for the great deeds they do
Goblin chase

Random sweeping shots ALL OVER YOUR FACE. sigh. PJ gonna PJ.

Combichristoffersen

of course you're not! don't you know Tolkien couldn't write a plot to save his life? What a doofus. Also, he was a nazi, an occultist that practiced black magick and sacrificed babies to jahbulon.

Seriously though, a friend of mine once claimed Tolkien had a secret half-brother born out of wedlock and this half-brother practiced black magic and drank blood :lol

As for del Toro, he's great at visuals, but I can't think of anything of his I've seen and liked very much besides the first Hellboy.

Loxley

How did I know people would invoke the damn Star Wars prequels if The Hobbit received anything less than unanimous praise from critics? We're really going to proclaim the film to be utter shit before it's even out? How desperate are some people for this movie to fail?

Oh GAF.

At the very least Del Toro wouldn't have tried to milk the book for a trilogy.

So many people are thinking this happened, but it didn't. The deal was to make two movies. The studio only planned on two movies. And Peter Jackson filmed material for two movies. Then when he was done, Jackson decided that there was too much material that he had to drop from his original vision of the story that he wanted to film, and there was some material from the Appendices that had never been in his vision but he wanted to film that too. Basically he was being a Tolkien fanboy :)

He didn't decide "I want to do 3 movies, let's see what I can do to make the story fit", in fact when he first brought up the extra material he still wasn't sure how it could be done, because the two movies were complete, and there wasn't enough remaining material for a stand-alone movie. He was even considering filming that stuff for an Extended Edition of the two Hobbit movies. In the end he decided that the best solution was three movies with the new material spread throughout the last two, and of course the studio went "A THIRD BILLION DOLLAR BLOCKBLGRFDROOL... ahem, I mean, yes, you gotta do what you feel is best, we'll support you."

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Edmond Dantès;45060211 said:
I hope Guillermo's material is released with the eventual extended edition trilogy boxset.

Extended edition, lol. That would be like releasing an extended edition of King Kong 2005.

Oh...

Interesting article in the Chicago Tribune from a guy who didn't like the look of the film in 48fps. Then he saw it again in the same format, and liked it a bit better.

Maybe I'll embrace it after a second viewing - or maybe I'll continue to miss the Middle Earth I remember from the first three movies, where things aren't quite so vivid or so goofy.

SECOND THOUGHTS: At the time this story was originally published on Monday night, I was seeing "The Hobbit" for the second time, again at 48fps. And I have to admit that not only did the movie strike me as better - faster and more entertaining, though still padded and at times silly - but the format wasn't as bothersome.

I still think the high frame rate takes you out of the movie at times, particularly in scenes that feature well-lit actors prominently in the frame. But about half the time, the format came closer to justifying Jackson's experiment than it had seemed on first viewing.

So maybe I'm just one of those viewers who needs more time to adjust.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...it-48framesbre8b312l-20121204,0,4811548.story

Just seeing Gandalf swing his staff and kick ass in that Goblin clip has me happy to see this in less than 2 weeks. I expect it to be a fun movie, just like the LOTR movies. It's Fantasy ffs lol

Interesting article in the Chicago Tribune from a guy who didn't like the look of the film in 48fps. Then he saw it again in the same format, and liked it a bit better.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...it-48framesbre8b312l-20121204,0,4811548.story

This is why I would love to see movie studios take the Apple route. Cut off 24fps entirely and go HFR only. People will complain for 5 years. Then everyone will love it. Yes I know it's not going to happen.

Del Toro is a glorified concept artist, a slight notch above Burton in passable movies. He ain't the be all and end all despite the constant gushing

Wilbur

Banned
Del Toro is a glorified concept artist, a slight notch above Burton in passable movies. He ain't the be all and end all despite the constant gushing

Pan's Labyrinth is far beyond anything Burton's ever made. Mimic, The Devil's Backbone, Blade II and both Hellboys are good as well.

Combichristoffersen

I thought Frankenweenie was his best film since Ed Wood to be honest, but I can't think of anything in between those two I actually enjoyed.

He's had a few clunkers (Michael Jackson's Chocolate Factory, Alice and PotA), but his visual style and storytelling generally appeals to me far more than Del Toro. Del Toro is great at visuals, but I don't really care much for him as a director or storyteller (Pan's Labyrinth was stunning to look at, but the story and characters did nothing for me).

I need to see Frankenweenie BTW.

Depp as Radagast?

HBC as Gandalf
Christopher Lee as Gollum
Depp as everyone else

And then Danny Elfman writes a song for the score, where Thorin sings about how he loves little men and they make him feel so fine

Pan's Labyrinth is far beyond anything Burton's ever made. Mimic, The Devil's Backbone, Blade II and both Hellboys are good as well.

Blade II and the two Hellboy films are ass.

Pan's Labyrinth is absolutely brilliant while The Devil's Backbone is decent enough, without being anything special.

Del Toro has yet to make a good english-language film and I'm still so very glad PJ returned to do The Hobbit. Del Toro's interest would have lied in the monsters, but in terms of his storytelling sensibilities for this world, I think PJ would have still trumped him quite easily.

Wilbur

Banned
I need to see Frankenweenie BTW.

Frankenweenie's great, the best animated film of the year for me.

Blade II and the two Hellboy films are ass.

Pan's Labyrinth is absolutely brilliant while The Devil's Backbone is decent enough, without being anything special.

Del Toro has yet to make a good english-language film and I'm still so very glad PJ returned to do The Hobbit. Del Toro's interest would have lied in the monsters, but in terms of his storytelling sensibilities for this world, I think PJ would have still trumped him quite easily.

I enjoy Blade II and the Hellboys for what they are; they're not fucking class cinema by any means but I enjoyed them well enough. I'm glad Jackson is in charge though, I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have. Just disagreeing with Burton > Del Toro, really.

Hale-XF11

In case anyone hasn't caught it yet, there's a nice 2.5 min. 3D trailer for the movie on Nintendo Video. It really sells the movie better than any trailer I'd seen previously myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom