• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying 60fps doesn't look pretty awesome for action like that, but the 24fps clip looks down-converted from 60fps. 24fps film doesn't usually look that strobed and stuttery.

Hm, website says:

HFR also minimizes the appearance of motion artifacts — especially when viewed in a theater. Moving objects may strobe or have a “picket fence” appearance as they traverse a large screen. At 24 fps, a 50 foot screen shows an object as jumping in 2 foot increments if that object takes one second to traverse the screen. This can appear as “judder” with fast panning and other types of camera movements.

Also, the above examples are not the result of a 3:2 pulldown from 60 fps to 24 fps; each was shot independently using the same shutter angle and pan rate.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why do some of the dwarves look like dwarves, and others not at all?

pringles

Who cares about 48fps, there's ONE theatre in my country showing that version last I checked. Anyone not interested in seeing it that way should be able to easily avoid it.

Kudos to PJ for trying to push technology forward, but it's unfortunate it's taken a lot of focus from the movie itself. Nothing I've heard about the actual movie really has me worried about it's quality, which is good.

Hm, website says:

Same shutter angle. That's why the 24fps version looks so strobe like. 60fps with a 1/120th shutter speed and 24fps with the same shutter speed will produce a very choppy result. 24fps at 1/48 shutter will produce the century old look everyone seems have an infatuation with.

Adam J.

That clip does remind me of a video game, but hey I like video games. I really love the forward momentum in that clip though--those dwarves are hauling ass!

Tookay

I need to be playing the games you are playing.

It looks like a video game in that situations are increasingly implausible, characters appear to be in no mortal danger due to plot armor, and nothing looks tangible or real.

It's calculated to a fault.

I would have preferred practical effect goblins. They looked much better in FOTR (in closeups) I have to say :(

I think some people said here that they will be using practical effects but I see no sign of it so far.

Clevinger

It looks like a video game in that situations are increasingly implausible, characters appear to be in no mortal danger due to plot armor, and nothing looks tangible or real.

Same as that
wolf thing scene
. These three little guys
took out these two giant wolf things
like they were fucking nothing.

Branduil

The Goblin chase looks fun to me.

Well, they're fighting mooks in that scene. I would imagine the
Goblin King
will be the big threat.

So in Canada just to be clear, you don't want to see it in Imax 3D right? You want to see it in 3D High Frame Rate?

Regarding superior 48fps of course? Need to confirm this before ordering.

GreekWolf

I think it's finally dawning on some people that this is a children's movie. The dark, foreboding themes from Rings have been replaced with keystone capers and light-hearted popcorn frivolity.

My girlfriend will almost certainly be bitterly disappointed by the drastic change in tone from her all-time favorite movie series, but I'll be perfectly content.

I think it's finally dawning on some people that this is a children's movie. The dark, foreboding themes from Rings have been replaced with keystone capers and light-hearted popcorn frivolity.

My girlfriend will almost certainly be bitterly disappointed by the drastic change in tone from her all-time favorite movie series, but I'll be perfectly content.

But that's not true. Peter Jackson said that while the Hobbit stuff is lighthearted, the Gandalf stuff is dark and forboding. And lighthearted does NOT mean "children's movie". Especially when you consider the battle that's going to happen in a later movie.

In case anyone hasn't caught it yet, there's a nice 2.5 min. 3D trailer for the movie on Nintendo Video. It really sells the movie better than any trailer I'd seen previously myself.

... I got Nintendo video just to check it out. The trailer was not there, probably cause I'm in the EU. The Nintendo Video itself tho... what the hell? It's terrible :/.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
MY EYES

nope nope nope. I dont like it

I watched it and had the same reaction. Then I watched it 30 times in a row. Now I love it.

It really is all about adjustment. It even seemed "sped up" the first couple times, like people are reporting the Hobbit to be. THESE HUMAN EYES. Gotta break 'em in.

Also: I love that goblin video. The warg one, though, looks like shit. CG isn't even remotely convincing there. The goblin one only has one wonky part near the end, everything else I think looks great.

Goblin chase looked fantastic. The lighter tone of the movie works well because the Hobbit is much lighter in tone than the LotR trilogy.

Can't wait for this shit.

Loxley

That goblin clip looked great, talk about a gorgeous film. Alas I'm making the empty proclamation that I won't watch anymore clips or tv spots.

damn, i just checked those metacritic and rottentomato averages and .... :( what happened there?

IMDB though, it's sitting at 9.2 currently, not sure what's going on but it's probably too early to say, i'm sure i will enjoy it no matter what, just surprised at some of these huge discrepancies.

damn, i just checked those metacritic and rottentomato averages and .... :( what happened there?

IMDB though, it's sitting at 9.2 currently, not sure what's going on but it's probably too early to say, i'm sure i will enjoy it no matter what, just surprised at some of these huge discrepancies.
Courtesy of their hall is somewhat lessened of late.

And while there can be some "unnatural smoothness" in HFR, detail and color were astoundingly vivid, much more so than what a TV algorithm produces. Swooping through action shots above and underground, or as hordes of digital warriors clashed on battlefields, I could see everything. In a word: breathtaking.

It's probably also important to mention that, while the 3D itself is very good, it's not nearly as striking or beautifully immersive as 'Life of Pi'. Everything stays "behind" the screen and, actually, you forget about the 3D after a while, but perhaps that's the point. It's just a story, regardless of the format.

If you enjoy ultra-sharp HD -- that infinite depth, those crisp textures from something like super-slow-motion cinematography -- and aren't the biggest fan of natural motion blur or noise or grain, you'll probably enjoy HFR. However, if you despise the way your TV can smooth things out via TruMotion type settings -- that odd motion it gives performers in motion -- you probably won't be the biggest HFR fan.

Regardless, it's a decision every film fan or HD junkie will have to make him or herself. So go see 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' however you like, but I would encourage at least checking out the new format. You might love it; you might hate it; you might not care. But it's certainly different.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/new...t_An_Unexpected_Journey_in_HFR_48fps_3D/10674

Aaron

Jackson still hasn't learned that adding more baddies to a fight doesn't make the fight better. It makes it worse. It makes your goodies seem invincible, and takes out any real sense of danger.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death earlier in the thread but did Tolkien or Jackson ever come up with a good compelling reason why Bilbo needs to go on this quest, or is it still just "Gandalf is kind of a dick who makes him a guinea pig for hobbit-kind?"

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm sure this has been discussed to death earlier in the thread but did Tolkien or Jackson ever come up with a good compelling reason why Bilbo needs to go on this quest, or is it still just "Gandalf is kind of a dick who makes him a guinea pig for hobbit-kind?"
The will of Eru Iluvatar, just as the will of Eru Iluvatar guided Frodo to Mount Doom. Bilbo was meant to go on that quest, just as Frodo was meant to take the One Ring to meets its destruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom