• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbits: Tolkien Edit is here. Fan edits 3 movies into 4 hour film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-V-B

Jackson got the tone so wrong and completely lost focus of the fact that the movie was supposed to be about Bilbo so often that it's hard to imagine any kind of editing could "fix" the movie.

I put "fix" in quotes because by that I mean "make more like the books". The movies were ok on their own

Even the way the films were directed was bizarre. Like, when I saw the troll scene the first time? My thoughts were "no amount of editing is going to fix this."

It'd be cool to see a pro take a crack at it, as happened with Star Wars Episode I & II. Dunno if I trust a random fan enough to sit through four hours of sliced up Hobbit.

The pros that took cracks at Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones did pretty shitty jobs though. None of the Phantom Edits are really good, and I don't just mean the movies quality didn't improve, I meant the actual editing itself was mediocre for the most part. Granted, they only had so much to work with, but a lot of those edits were absolutely about calling attention to themselves, like "hey! I'm FIXING THINGS NOW!"

This guy apparently did it in one weekend, which isn't the best indicator of quality, either.

But dude was first, and that's going to weigh more than a lot of other attempts, at least until this film gets its version of the superfan who recut Star Wars with his own homemade fx fixes.

I wonder if it'll be of the same quality as the de-specialized Star Wars edits?

Not a chance in hell. Although those aren't the best comparison points to use, as the despecialized editions are working from a locked edit, they're just cleaning up different sources to create a cohesive visual whole.

This is likely going to be the Tolkien-verse version of the Phantom Edit, with all the good & bad that entails.

Nokterian

He did LOTR as a labor of love, he did The Hobbit for the money. I think there was an interview where PJ said he didn't even want to do The Hobbit and then WB offered him a lot of money. And then his original plan was to try and make 2 short movies since he felt the book couldn't fit into 1 long movie. WB decided they would make a trilogy of 3 hour movies instead. And here we are, PJ literally made the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy to LOTR.

Since Guillermo del Toro stepped out of the project because MGM had financial trouble. That's why he left since he was going to direct the first one. And even from what i saw on youtube with his video diaries he didn't like it i could see it now. Also i think it's a shame Orc's where all CG that was so fucking lazy and a shame. LOTRO orc's and uruk's in full make up and all the prop stuff it was very cool to see.

kris.

Banned
Why remove the scene with old Bilbo at the end? That was one of the very few scenes from BotFA that I actually enjoyed. Nice tie-in to Fellowship.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The pros that took cracks at Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones did pretty shitty jobs though. None of the Phantom Edits are really good, and I don't just mean the movies quality didn't improve, I meant the actual editing itself was mediocre for the most part.

Tough to edit when you only have a finished product to work with, with single takes and everything else that entails. Editing isn't just making trims.

Jigorath

Banned
Why are people so against Tauriel? If it wasn't for her this would be a completely male dominated cast. Sure the romance is stupid but the character herself is fine.

Dryk

The removal of Tauriel alone means the films just jumped a whole letter grade for me.
Note to film makers: If you want to insert more females characters into source material that had none, that's a good thing. If you find yourself using said characters as nothing but love interests, don't bother putting them in at all and certainly don't pat yourself on the back for it afterward. Ideally just write a good character though.

EDIT: That said I can't remember if she has any scenes in Mirkwood they could've salvaged, there might be some

Tough to edit when you only have a finished product to work with, with single takes and everything else that entails. Editing isn't just making trims.

I made that allowance in the post you're responding to (the edit mighta came too late before you hit reply, though) but the fact the degree of difficulty is raised a little due to the circumstances doesn't really carry that much weight in the face of the results, which are largely overpraised due to the fact the editors merely TRIED, as opposed to legitimately succeeding in their endeavor.

Moppeh

Banned
Why are people so against Tauriel? If it wasn't for her this would be a completely male dominated cast. Sure the romance is stupid but the character herself is fine.

Because most of her character is the romance. I like having this strong, female bad ass around, and when I heard Lily was playing that role, I was very excited. However, her character was quickly reduced to a love-obsessed, emotionally confused female stereotype, which completely ruined the character for me. Because of that, I'd much prefer it if she wasn't in the film at all.

Zukuu

Banned
It's not so much she herself, but the hamfisted, cringeworthy love triangle subplot and the stupid dialogue they chose to give her ("You don't know what love is!"; "If this is true love, take it from me"). She had also way too much screen time for what little she offered.

That barrel scene definitely feels a whole hell of a lot better trimmed down and without the elves, but there's a shot left in that still shows Legolas for a couple seconds, which ruined the whole thing for me.

Moppeh

Banned
That barrel scene definitely feels a whole hell of a lot better trimmed down and without the elves, but there's a shot left in that still shows Legolas for a couple seconds, which ruined the whole thing for me.

Well, it is going to be impossible to edit this film without glimpses of the unnecessary characters like Legolas, Alfrid, etc.

I may have to give this a watch. The best fan edits probably won't be out until the Extended Edition of BotFA is released though. I'll be looking forward to that.

zma1013

What's wrong with having a male dominated cast? That's how the source material was. When you're adding in a chick because there are no chicks, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Azog is a bigger offender than Tauriel. Should have been cut completely.

I don't see how you could do any coherent edit of the films that removed Azog. He's kind of central to that version of the story.

I very much enjoyed the trilogy.

Man..too many people hate too many things on the internet.
I feel so disconnected.

GAF is weird. It has a 7.7 average on imdb with over 180,000 reviews, and 77% favorable audience reviews on rotten tomatoes, with over 190,000 counted.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I can't wait until an absolutely brilliant, consensus best cut releases... then the editor reveals himself as... PETER JACKSON! "It was me! The studios demanded a trilogy and I hid a single three hour film within!"

Cuburt

The movie was so "good" I feel asleep during half of it.

Same here. That's the real fan edit.

I was into the movie when Thorin was talking to Bard at the gates of the mountain trying to prevent war but as soon as I realized they were just going to do more talking the the momentum was about to slow to a crawl, my brain checked out and I didn't wake up until the war actually started. I don't know how much I missed but it still didn't help the pacing.

I never realized entirely why I hated the barrel scene so much until now. When the elves are there, the sequence is fucking boring. Remove the elves, and make it about the dwarves and Bilbo and put them in danger without the elves to protect them, and it becomes exciting.

Nyoro SF

Even the presentation of the relevant parts of the movie were so bad. I couldn't sit through even a spliced version.

It's really hard to believe that the same team behind LOTR made this trilogy. Watching the final piece of the trilogy was like getting a roundhouse kick finisher in the face after getting gut punched twice.

Oersted

I don't see how you could do any coherent edit of the films that removed Azog. He's kind of central to that version of the story.

Can't remember a single "true to the book"- scene where he mattered.

That scene is the definition of what is wrong with these movies.

That and Bilbo at the beginning. And Tauriel. And Azog. And that sub Orc under Azog. And Legolas. And Frodo.
There is too much.

Cuburt

I actually liked a few of the scenes that seemed to be cut (Dol Guldur, the barrel scene was some cool action even if it went on for way too long, I don't know if he will make the awesome scene of Smaug flying toward Laketown work without him flying out to the mountain covered in gold, which I thought was cool even if the whole molten gold scene was dumb).

I think there were probably some things from the book that weren't executed well in the film as well as some new content that wasn't so bad (some ties to the LOTR trilogy were cool)

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

A_Gorilla

Banned

Because she is a Mary-Sue at its lowest form:

New character with no basis in canon? Check

Has a unique hair color not seen in any other members of her race? Check

Possesses fighting skills equal to or even better than the canon characters? Check.

Has not one but TWO romantic relationships with popular canon characters? Check.

Has BOTH of the romantic relationships fall under the Forbidden/star-crossed cliche? Check.

Is the only one of her race to not display the canon animosity/bigotry towards another race, when by all rights she should? Check.

Has a lot of screen time, but does absolutely NOTHING to advance the plot and could be removed with no change at all to the story? Checkmate.

GAF is weird. It has a 7.7 average on imdb with over 180,000 reviews, and 77% favorable audience reviews on rotten tomatoes, with over 190,000 counted.

If we're assuming that audience popularity = the film being good, then the Transformers series is one of the greatest film sagas of all time. And I say that as someone who likes The Hobbit films. But I can certainly recognize the many faults the films have.

RCSI

I rather enjoyed the the prelude with old Bilbo, other than that, I agree with the edits.

Edit:
The prelude with old Bilbo is gone. As with the novel, I find the film works better if the scope starts out small (in a cosy hobbit hole), and then grows organically as Bilbo ventures out into the big, scary world. It is far more elegant to first learn about Smaug from the dwarves’ haunting ballad (rather than a bombastic CGI sequence). The prelude also undermines the real-and-present stakes of the story by framing it as one big flashback.

I see why he edits the beginning and I agree with the stylistic choices for editing the prelude out. However, I still like the style of the flash back if one were to view The Hobbit then jump to the Lord of the Rings films.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I definitely would watch a fan edit of The Hobbit (because holy shit, does there ever need to be one), but I think he should have waited until the extended version of TBotFA released, since apparently some crucial scenes were cut from the theatrical version to make room for more battle sequences.

DiscoJer

It's really hard to believe that the same team behind LOTR made this trilogy. Watching the final piece of the trilogy was like getting a roundhouse kick finisher in the face after getting gut punched twice.

I think that's the problem though. The Hobbit (the story) is completely different in tone and style than Lord of the Rings.

Yet, they tried to make it like it was. And it just didn't work.

Tolkien himself started to revise The Hobbit to bring it more into line with Lord of the Rings, but thankfully someone told him to stop and he did.

Cyan

Banned
I can't wait until an absolutely brilliant, consensus best cut releases... then the editor reveals himself as... PETER JACKSON! "It was me! The studios demanded a trilogy and I hid a single three hour film within!"

That would be so awesome.

Pardon my language but...

Fucking. Bullshit. My friend and I were working on something similar. We were going to finish the first two and wait for the third to release on Bluray. Even some of the little cuts as described in the OP are the same. Getting rid of Old Bilbo, Tauriel story, the Orc commander and the Necromancer/Sauron subplot were the major cuts...

Damn, now I don't know if we should continue...

Fucking. Bullshit. My friend and I were working on something similar. We were going to finish the first two and wait for the third to release on Bluray. Even some of the little cuts as described in the OP are the same. Getting rid of Old Bilbo, Tauriel story, the Orc commander and the Necromancer/Sauron subplot were the major cuts...

Wait for the EE of BotFA to see if the extra scenes are worth the edit before you decide?

There's plenty of room for multiple edits. Hell, four hours is probably still too long.

This really deflates my excitement for the project though...We even had a new title card and are thoroughly going through sound edits. Our plan was to not go over 3.5 hours. Ugh.
So keep going. What's the problem? You didn't think you were the only ones working on it, did you?

RCSI

You were not alone in your plans, you can still do your edit after judging this edit if it's not to your liking.

Moppeh

Banned

This thing seems like it was done rather quickly. It is getting coverage now, but it won't matter when superior versions are made after the Bluray is out. Don't be let down because some impatient Tolkien fan blew his editing wad too early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom