• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The importance of cover art.

dcx4610

Extremely important on the 2600 and NES. It sold the game and gave you context and imagination for the game you are going to play. You also had nothing to go on if the game was good outside of box art, description and screenshots.

It became less important at all on every subsequent system.

I can still appreciate good box but nowadays, you can simply watch game footage. The art is a perk.

FreeckyCake

Neo Member
3r945mf.jpeg
hwLDexe.jpeg
FHMjL4F.jpeg

cireza

Final Fantasy and NieR has such great cover art.

61hp8zM2D4L.jpg
I just can't stand this NieR Automata picture because of the totally broken perspective of 2B. Her legs and the top of her body are misaligned and make absolutely no sense. Good art otherwise.

Another one that bothers me is DoA6. The shadow on the right side of nose (so to the left) makes no sense at all.
7642023-dead-or-alive-6-xbox-one-front-cover.jpg

I can't stand inconsistencies like these. It is like I only see them lol.

I like artistic, a little abstract covers such as Azel Panzer Dragoon RPG for example.
cWhQhTy.png

BChurjt.jpeg

Western covers in the same style too.
ty6nCMN.jpeg

26Z5JgZ.jpeg

deWMlRo.jpeg

(I actually prefer the Western covers for Phantasy Star games).

Last edited:
I mean it's not that important but at the same time it is. It really adds artistic value to the game. It's the cherry on the cake, it gave the spotlight to people like Amano or Shinkawa.
Some are even a trademark like the GTA series.

The PS2 will always have the best game covers
PS2 era is gold.
Subcover.jpg
i12qIlHfS7ha8SB.jpg
Energy_Airforce_Aim_Strike%21_Coverart.png
74125--dodonpachi-dai-ou-jou.png
Castlevania_-_Lament_of_Innocense_%28Gamecover%29.jpg
Boku_no_Natsuyasumi_2_Cover_Art.jpg
SCPS-15053.jpg

60839_front.jpg
61qqeCrCrjL.jpg
73825--shin-megami-tensei-digital-devil-saga-2.png
PA.05151.011.jpg
64232-magna-carta-tears-of-blood-playstation-2-other.jpg
4362697-okami-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg
Cover%20%20The%20Rumble%20Fish%20(2005)%20(Japan)%20(Versus%20Fighting)%20(Playstation%202).jpg
4706271-dirge-of-cerberus-final-fantasy-vii-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

I dig PS1 JP covers too, with minimal square logo.
FAoP5-3X0AIGdmX.png
309810_front.jpg
66968--tomb-raider-iv-the-last-revelation.png
Chronocross_cover.jpg
Cowboy_Bebop_1998_video_game_cover.jpg
SLPS-00574-F-ALL.jpg
SCPS-10116-F-ALL.jpg
donpachi-playstation-used-good-condition-es.jpg

I also think some Super Famicom stuff, especially what Squaresoft did during that time, is GOAT material.
SFC_Tactics_Ogre_-_Let_Us_Cling_Together_cover_art.jpg
0dc9d3722dfdb464d7cd3cb8f957c820.jpg
Mother_2_Box.png
Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg
jp.large.jpg
Gun_Hazard_Cover.png
RomancingSaGaSFBox.jpg

Last edited:

Soodanim

The importance of cover art.

Always, before playing something, due to the lack of social networks or the lack of information, it was important to see the quality of a game, from its cover.

Even though they are games that do not reach the West, I always really like the covers, where they reveal Mystery, Drama or special situations.

I like it when sunsets or sunrises are revealed in games.

71388OoZl1L.jpg

tsugino.jpg

dyschronia-chronos-alternate-744385.1.jpg

ys-memoire-the-oath-in-felghana-790053.10.jpg

kingdom-come-deliverance-royal-edition-793291.21.jpg

iwakura-aria-limited-edition-793675.1.jpg

Any games that have an impact the attention of players?
I love the premise, but I hate your examples. The first one is fine, it catches your eye with a single subject. But the other anime ones are all generic anime characters that are a dime a dozen. Dyschronia looks a bit better just by being less generic.

But I don't look at any of them and think the game is going to be fun, nor do I get any idea what the game is even about. KC:D's is boring but at least it conveys something about the game (medieval setting).

Early Mario games had amazing covers that were showing a "summary" of the game.

gd7gcxdg.jpg

7u8np3zy.jpg

vxrqa8dx.jpg
Fantastic. Some of the best box art ever. They showed you exactly what you were getting and made you want to play them because they look fun.

Always kinda pissed me off how weak the Returnal cover and yellow logo is when the actual game's aesthetic is incredible and full of Giger and Beksinski influences done right.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Crime Wave. Access Software for PC. Inside cover.

Trust me. She wasn't nude under that almost impossible to get off sticker! lol

insert_large.jpg

Honestly I've always maintained that Planescape: Torment would have sold a lot better at initial release if it had a more appealing box art, imagine instead of this:
400429-planescape-torment-windows-other.jpg

You had something more like this:

:
xinyu-jiang-aa-1.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Honestly I've always maintained that Planescape: Torment would have sold a lot better at initial release if it had a more appealing box art, imagine instead of this:
400429-planescape-torment-windows-other.jpg

You had something more like this:

:
xinyu-jiang-aa-1.jpg
I dont know about that.

I saw the same studies Interplay did. Hair that looks like blue yarn from Michael Craft Stores are big sellers.

Top Bottom