• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

I think the game would be dropped online but both games would get offline play.

KOFXIII is a top-tier KOF, despite it not being everything old-schoolers want and not being perfect.

I'd rather see 98UM Hero Edition- it's less like XIII then 02UM, and has better balance (since Krauser is nerfed in that version, and I think Kasumi is buffed)

My reasons:

98 was more about basics and fundamentals, since it didn't have a ton of combo extenders. UM added extra-mode MAX-cancelling, but you gave up something to get that.

Also, I like the oldschool roster and oldschool movesets better: Maxima's awesome, but I'd rather have the Sports Heroes, Geese, Big, Eiji, Kasumi and Krauser.

Are Hero Edition and Final Edition the same thing? I'm a bit confused here.

Tizoc

I think the game would be dropped online but both games would get offline play.
That's kind of my hope as well, should 02 UM get released.

KOFXIII is a top-tier KOF, despite it not being everything old-schoolers want and not being perfect.
Err how so? KoF XIII is like KoF 02 HD Remix with a few elements from NGBC.

alstein

Are Hero Edition and Final Edition the same thing? I'm a bit confused here.

Final may be after Hero. I just remember there was a Chinese version that gave Krauser a good proper nerfing and some other small changes.

Err how so? KoF XIII is like KoF 02 HD Remix with a few elements from NGBC.

HD mode means your character can get Hokuto-ed out, meter gain works as a comeback mechanic, poor zoning compared to other KOFs. Some of this is personal preference, but it de-emphasizes traditional KOF fundamentals.

Yeah, so I picked this up. Probably kinda dumb of me to do, as for a casual gamer you usually need player count to get matches. But SFxT was just not doing it for me (traded it in for the price of a new KOFXIII on Amazon) and I need some fighter to tide me over until TTT2. I'll probably get my monies worth still though, I don't mind getting creamed online and it will see some local play for sure.

The thing with SFxT was not actually anything wrong with the game itself, but it was honestly just too similar to SFIV, which is the first fighter that I've ever really played. Since I've never played any other fighters all that I really felt with SFxT was "man, this makes me want to try to learn a real Tekken game." Even with all the changed mechanics there was just still too much SFIV in it, which I enjoy, but there are so many other games to check out and learn. So I'll be giving KOF XIII a shot as soon as the order gets in.

On the plus side there seems to be some really good wikis on this game online, both the SRK and DreamCancel ones were loaded with system info, character info and videos for newcomers. Been checking out some match videos as well (FR XV mostly) and I'm really liking what I see. The gameplay might not click with me, but I love the style already.

zlatko

Banned
Did the online ever get fixed? SFxT teams at evo has made me wanna pick this up.

Define fixed?

If you mean sound issue. That's this Tuesday.

If you had/have lag, then idk what to tell ya since this is on par/better than SF4, but still not on the level of Soul Calibur 5 for net code.

rivals

EDIT: I'm confused, are you asking about the kof13 netcode or the sfxt netcode?

If you're asking about the kof13 netcode the answer is no. They fixed the connection reporting so it's more accurate now but they didn't improve the netcode itself. It's pretty subpar IMO, people I play other games with no real issues are unplayable in this game, feels way different online vs off.

Bob White

I'm confused too. I'm talking about KOF. I know the issues with cross tekken. I heard KOF's online was busted but a patch came out. Did that patch make online playable?

rivals

I'm confused too. I'm talking about KOF. I know the issues with cross tekken. I heard KOF's online was busted but a patch came out. Did that patch make online playable?

I mostly answered this above but I wouldn't really call it playable, but I understand that's purely subjective. There's not really any good reason to use delay based netcode in this game, and then to have it be worse than SF4 is pretty bad. If you have any chance of playing it offline on a somewhat regular basis I wouldn't bother playing online at all.

EDIT: To clarify I guess you could say it's "playable" in that with good connections there aren't really significant lag spikes, etc but the input delay is so bad that the game feels entirely different than when you play offline.

zlatko

Banned

My bad. I forgot which thread I was in. Work + GAF = WTF is going on sometimes.

If you can find peeps within your area of the USA/world, you can get some solid matches online.

Nyoro SF

Good matches come in at 4 bars, wired connections for me (XBL). It's near-flawless and I can do EX Kyo and Kula's HD loops (until I get nervous and drop them).

GooeyHeat

EX Iori is top? I've always heard that regular is better, and in tournaments, it never seemed like EX Iori did much work.
...Just go Mr. Karate. :p

I was able to find matches online as well, from early and late afternoon to after midnight. I think it just a matter going into practice mode AND looking for matches manually.

I am on PS3, btw.

alstein

Finding matches is ok for me during normal hours. Finding good players with decent connections is rough though.

It's probably going to get a lot worse this week though, I thnk Skullgirls is going to eat up some KOF players, SFxTK and BBCSEX did for a short whole, but folks came back.

Dreamcancel's is more complete.

Yeah, I guess. I am just complaining about the fact that people asking for basic things don't read the first post.

Doesn't really help. I'm looking more for general tips.
No offense, but I don't think you have looked at the wiki for any decent amount of time. It can probably answer you questions faster and easier than we can. Especially considering that I still don't know what you need help with.

zlatko

Banned
Doesn't really help. I'm looking more for general tips.

Beat his 3 characters before he does yours.

Hit buttons, do damage to them.

How general is general? Be a little more specific in what you are having a hard time grasping. The flow of combat? Applying pressure? Mix ups? Zoning? The hopping mechanics? How to use your meter correctly? HD combos? Team synergy?

alstein

I'm of the opinion team synergy matters little in KOF, except for a tiny handful of characters/ your own personal preferences and weaknesses. Character matchups are much more important.

I'm trying to settle on a team that I can use any of the chars in any position.

zlatko

Banned
I'm of the opinion team synergy matters little in KOF, except for a tiny handful of characters/ your own personal preferences and weaknesses. Character matchups are much more important.

I'm trying to settle on a team that I can use any of the chars in any position.

I'm still in the mindset that your first character should be able to build meter effectively, your second character should be well balanced, and your third should be your best character who hits like a truck if you have meter, thus allowing for comebacks.

alstein

I'm still in the mindset that your first character should be able to build meter effectively, your second character should be well balanced, and your third should be your best character who hits like a truck if you have meter, thus allowing for comebacks.

Almost everyone builds meter effectively in XIII, even Vice, who traditionally is the worst point character. Also, everyone but Mai hits like a truck, though some chars really excel at doing it with less, that often makes those chars just as dangerous in the earlier slots.

The game does get less fun when the chance of 100% combos comes into play, you have to get much more cautious then I like to play. This is the reason 98 gets so much love I think, despite the game having its own serious problems. (no KOF doesn't have serious problem- they just change heavily from game to game)

Honestly, I think alstein is right, the battery/second/anchor, is really just a way to get new players started in picking characters.

zlatko

Banned
Honestly, I think alstein is right, the battery/second/anchor, is really just a way to get new players started in picking characters.

I still think though your anchor should be your best character. If only for the reason of you get exposed to the other persons play style more, what they are fishing for, how often they jump, throw, etc. That way you can act more accordingly with your best character and win/form comebacks.

Plus, if you are able to beat people with your less than best character, it leaves you even with more dangerous options should they happen to best your other two with their final character. Now you have knowledge of their final, while they go in blind to yours.

Maybe battery/2nd isn't important, but I'm adamant about last being best.

alstein

Traditionally, you wanted your 2nd character to be best, though the warped damage/meter of KOF13 may have changed that to point.

there's too much chance of getting Hokuto-ed out in KOF13 to risk having your best char gone in 5 seconds. Point characters last longer, and if you take out 2 chars with your point that's a huge advantage, you can actually take risks with your second character.
With my later characters, I want to be able to take HD combos away from my opponent if they can do them, so I pick chars I can grind the game to a halt with, it's boring, but KOFXIII once HD comes into play can get kinda boring.

The reason I say 2nd character in older KOF, is because you will have to play with that character from ahead and behind. It's really a minor detail though, and again is matchup and meteruse-specific.

What I was taught other than the previously mentioned stuff:

- fireball characters are best used on point
- anchor should be a well-rounded character with the ability to 100%, preferably even with less than 5 supers
- avoid grapplers not named Vice and other characters with really bad match-ups as anchors if you can
- characters with really meter-efficient HD combos (think 70 to 80% for 1 or 2 supers, or even Yuri) make great second characters

Gandara

Well played my first online matches and was beaten but not in a bad way. I guess Tekken scared me off from playing anything online since almost all the matches would result in a juggle and I would die before hitting the ground. My execution is just plain sloppy (wasting meter by mistake). I found online very playable and when I lost , I didn't feel like it was a cheap loss. The player was just better then me. Just wish I could even simple combos effectively. I didn't find the netcode that bad. Had just a slight hickup in the first round of the first match and after that it was fine. I just wondering if the bad netcode is overhyped due to the lack of players online.

Well played my first online matches and was beaten but not in a bad way. I guess Tekken scared me off from playing anything online since almost all the matches would result in a juggle and I would die before hitting the ground. My execution is just plain sloppy (wasting meter by mistake). I found online very playable and when I lost , I didn't feel like it was a cheap loss. The player was just better then me. Just wish I could even simple combos effectively. I didn't find the netcode that bad. Had just a slight hickup in the first round of the first match and after that it was fine. I just wondering if the bad netcode is overhyped due to the lack of players online.

Try timing your inputs with the hit spark and you should be able to do anything.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

- anchor should be a well-rounded character with the ability to 100%, preferably even with less than 5 supers
- avoid grapplers not named Vice and other characters with really bad match-ups as anchors if you can
- characters with really meter-efficient HD combos (think 70 to 80% for 1 or 2 supers, or even Yuri) make great second characters
Ha im using King,Clark and Yuri.
So i took your advice well before even reading it. :3

shaowebb

Hurray! I stuck with Vice myself and was wondering if it was still cool to anchor with her. Though I just noticed how good Shen Woo seems to be at Anchor. Is this a thing people do a lot?

Hurray! I stuck with Vice myself and was wondering if it was still cool to anchor with her. Though I just noticed how good Shen Woo seems to be at Anchor. Is this a thing people do a lot?

Shen as anchor is very common indeed. Vice's ability to land her HD combo from basically anything is what sets her apart from other grapplers in that regard.

Fersis said:
Ha im using King,Clark and Yuri.
So i took your advice well before even reading it.

Replace Yuri with EX Kyo and you have my current team. :)

Yes, though Vice is fine as an Anchor if you can consistently HCF+BD after successful air-to-airs. Look up Isiah's Vice on youtube.

Top Bottom