• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Jirotrom

So, whats the general consensus on this game... I was pretty disappointed with XII, but XIII looks lik it may have remedied its issues.

alstein

So, whats the general consensus on this game... I was pretty disappointed with XII, but XIII looks lik it may have remedied its issues.

Only reason to not get XIII is if you don't have any access to offline comp- in that case I'd look at MK or Skullgirls instead. KOF is excellent though, just has poor online and average single-player offerings. Core game itself is the best 2d game this gen.

Only reason to not get XIII is if you don't have any access to offline comp- in that case I'd look at MK or Skullgirls instead. KOF is excellent though, just has poor online and average single-player offerings. Core game itself is the best 2d game this gen.

the connection is very good if you have a couple of online friends that care about their connection setup. i can play this game without delay online. it sucks with random people enough, that is true.

Grokbu

This is up on Shopto (it's a banned site, so I can't link it, but I guess that I can write about it like this?) for £13.85, PS3/360.

But I guess that most people checking this thread's already got it, heh.

Thanks to cjelly for pointing it out.

This is up on Shopto (it's a banned site, so I can't link it, but I guess that I can write about it like this?) for £13.85, PS3/360.

But I guess that most people checking this thread's already got it, heh.

Thanks to cjelly for pointing it out.

It might be a good idea to post that in the Fighting game weekly thread.

Has anyone else been accused of rage quitting because the game keeps disconnecting? It has happened three times for me already.

_dazed

Its definitely a solid fighting game and the online connections are fine if you limit the search to 3+. However if you don't feel confident with KoF chances are random matchups will be pretty brutal since the "casual" fighting community has since moved on. Im lucky to take down a character or two lol.

alstein

Pretty much online the hardcore online players, who mostly play ranked , are left.

Many are good, a good many try to rely on lag tactics, and some are good at both.

Grokbu

It's gonna be really interesting to try this online with a friend of mine again, now that my network problems are over (hopefully). I do remember that, when I last tried, I had problem doing stuff like Elizabeth's counter on reaction, which really sucked.

Nyoro SF

Yeah, Andy's sweep actually traded with one of my jumps in one of my matches.

Care to share what you have learned?

1) Yuri is a really dumb character. Has a regular and dive kick crossup and does stupid damage off easy combos for no reason. Difficult to pressure.

2) You can tech throws at any time in this game. Did not know this. So basically when you do a punish it's best to leave your joystick at neutral if you use close fierce or roundhouse as a starter, otherwise people will correct their recovery with a throw tech.

3) I have no idea what to do about Ryo's fireball, since it's safe on block, catches jumps and goes too far for sweeps to hit Ryo's ankles. Also recovers too fast for GC Roll to get behind him. So I just started doing the leaping kick spike with Kim in between the fireballs, which sort of worked.... I guess?

4) Running up to people throwing projectiles catches them off guard all the time. Maybe they don't expect it.

5) If you do a motion in KOF XIII and it ends in up, the game won't register it as a cancel from a normal move. So if I do Shen's overhead 214 and try to follow up with 23698 + P, it won't register and I look stupid.

That is really silly since even really old fighting games will register 23698 + P as a cancel. So I have to be really careful and not overcompensate, especially during HD combos. I was wondering why the fuck I kept dropping Shen's HD loop and then I turned on the inputs and I realize that ending in up doesn't allow a cancel.

6) Kula is a mediocre character. Dropped her for EX Kyo. Final team is EX Kyo / Kim / Shen. They should give her back invincibility on EX Ray Spin. :)

7) I lose every air-to-air battle I face. People are pretty psychic online and hit me out of all my jumping attacks, no matter how fast they are. Even when I jump CD early (which is dangerous) I usually trade counter hits. I'm not sure what people know about the air game that I don't, but I know that my hyper hops and super jumps tend to get me smacked air to air all day. My solution? Just jump less. Hit stand D with Kim all day. DP with EX Kyo erry time. Shen crouch fierce.

You could try rolling though Ryo's fireball. Wouldn't Kula's slide go under it too?

If I am losing air-to-air battles, it means I should probably start making use of the lack of tripguard in this game, neutral jump/hop works well too.

I don't know, realkim and that one Mai player from the runback a couple of weeks ago convince me that those characters are still threatening.

I am just no good with them, lol.

This game is indeed very cheap now. I got it from a gamestop for $30 and the soundtrack was included. Have been wanting to get into it for a while and so far I'm glad I picked it up.

I'm interested in using Kyo, Claw Iori, Beni, and Terry. What characters would you guys recommend for noobs to start out with? I would like to use characters that are easy to combo with and will also teach me how the game mechanics and system work.

alstein

This game is indeed very cheap now. I got it from a gamestop for $30 and the soundtrack was included. Have been wanting to get into it for a while and so far I'm glad I picked it up.

I'm interested in using Kyo, Claw Iori, Beni, and Terry. What characters would you guys recommend for noobs to start out with? I would like to use characters that are easy to combo with and will also teach me how the game mechanics and system work.

Use those chars. You really can't go wrong with anyone in this game, though a few chars are tricky to use such as Lizzie, Vice, Ash, and Leona.

6) Kula is a mediocre character.

Huh? No way. Just because she lacks a safe reversal doesn't make her mediocre. St. B and j.C are annoying as hell and it's ridiculous how well she can carry to the corner. Really good at shutting down projectiles especially if you have meter too. She's just the kind of character that's very reliant on fundamentals overall.

The Kula player I usually play against also has EX Kyo in his team though. :)

Regarding Ryo's fireball, keep in mind that it doesn't let him build any meter so you don't have to run up to him if you have a lead. If they're auto-piloting with st.D to qcf+A on your wake-up in the corner, backdashing is an option (you'll get hit by the kick, but you can use an invincible move as you're being reset to nail them as the fireball comes out).

I don't know what happens if you try Kula's slide against Ryo's qcf+A, I need to try that out.

EDIT: Just saw that my local arcade got Climax, now I know where I'll stop by before getting back home from work.

Nyoro SF

I just find it hard to really scare people with Kula. If they just block and defend correctly it's such a massive chore to get into close range and then when you do you have all these risky strings and non-scary moves. I tested out her frame advantage options and the only good one she has is C Ice Breath which might be the biggest "come hop and kill me, please" or "do a super reversal and wipe out half of my life" move, even if done from a cancel.

Meanwhile we have all these characters that can just hammer away safely at you while you block and Kula has to keep taking these big risks. I don't really like it. I've been blown up by a pro Kula player online but I still think she sucks because the majority of his damage came from instant hop j.C which I wasn't really ready for. Scrub killing technique.

st.B also gets whopped by pretty much every sweep in the game too. Man, she sucks. Even the Korean players I see try to use her put her on anchor so she can abuse the leftover meter but it doesn't work out most of the time. Usually they have to resort to gimmicks such as the C Ray Spin out of nowhere.

Use those chars. You really can't go wrong with anyone in this game, though a few chars are tricky to use such as Lizzie, Vice, Ash, and Leona.

Yeah I will continue to practice with those characters. Since this game is meant to be offensive, do most characters pressure well in the corner?

The first thing I'm going to try to get down is movement, like the hops and the jumps. Then I want to try to learn the normals with my characters and then move on to bnbs. I also read on dream cancel that team order should be based on meter management. Is this the way to go?

Yeah I will continue to practice with those characters. Since this game is meant to be offensive, do most characters pressure well in the corner?

The first thing I'm going to try to get down is movement, like the hops and the jumps. Then I want to try to learn the normals with my characters and then move on to bnbs. I also read on dream cancel that team order should be based on meter management. Is this the way to go?

Sure, though I don't think it is too important since meter is pretty easy to come by in this game, just blocking gains you tons.

If they just block and defend correctly it's such a massive chore to get into close range

Goes for any character. People with a good defense are hard to hit.

I've been blown up by a pro Kula player online but I still think she sucks because the majority of his damage came from instant hop j.C which I wasn't really ready for. Scrub killing technique.

That actually works because of how low that hits/how late you can do it and still connect.

st.B also gets whopped by pretty much every sweep in the game too.

That's... how this game works? Moves that shut down hops generally lose to sweeps. Not all of them have that kind of reach and speed, that's what makes it good in general and particularly effective at keeping people cornered.

Nyoro SF

Goes for any character. People with a good defense are hard to hit.
That actually works because of how low that hits/how late you can do it and still connect.
That's... how this game works? Moves that shut down hops generally lose to sweeps. Not all of them have that kind of reach and speed, that's what makes it good in general and particularly effective at keeping people cornered.

There are so many characters that can keep bullying their way into close range no problem. I can easily name 7+ characters that can do this. Also even against players with good defense, you need a fear option to keep them guessing on their end. Whether it's a command grab, an overhead, a safe special or a fast aerial attack.

Kula's jumping C is nothing special. It's just something that catches you off guard the first time you see it, like Dante's Helm Breaker in UMvC3. In reality, it's one of the slowest air normals in the game. If that's her main strategy, it's no wonder I don't see her in replays anymore except for Koreans doing hail mary Ray Spins.

Kula's standing B is good but it's not worth maining her for. I honestly don't think anyone is really scared of it, like a "bug bite" move. Most online opponents are like "is that it?" and just sit there waiting for me to finish or just CD blowback. Rather than just pester people, I want to force people to react somehow.

Overall just a subpar character, nothing special. Probably the higher end of C tier in this game. Invested a lot of time into her but not worth it. This game gives me a lot of character options so I'm never at a loss, feels great. I'll go in hard with EX Kyo for now.

I have to credit MAD_KoF for giving me ideas with all the characters he plays. I really like his Kim and Shen above all characters.

There are so many characters that can keep bullying their way into close range no problem. I can easily name 7+ characters that can do this. Also even against players with good defense, you need a fear option to keep them guessing on their end. Whether it's a command grab, an overhead, a safe special or a fast aerial attack.

Kula's standing B is good but it's not worth maining her for. I honestly don't think anyone is really scared of it, like a "bug bite" move. Most online opponents are like "is that it?" and just sit there waiting for me to finish or just CD blowback. Rather than just pester people, I want to force people to react somehow.

Overall just a subpar character, nothing special. Probably the higher end of C tier in this game. Invested a lot of time into her but not worth it. This game gives me a lot of character options so I'm never at a loss, feels great. I'll go in hard with EX Kyo for now.

I have to credit MAD_KoF for giving me ideas with all the characters he plays. I really like his Kim and Shen above all characters.

It seems you have problems mixing up with her, walk up, stand b, then walk up, throw is a good mix up. Sometimes just waiting and seeing what they do is a mixup too.

Also Professor of MMcafe compiled various tier list from top players, of course, their opinions are all over the place.
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13335.shtml#

Nyoro SF

It seems you have problems mixing up with her, walk up, stand b, then walk up, throw is a good mix up. Sometimes just waiting and seeing what they do is a mixup too.

Also Professor of MMcafe compiled various tier list from top players, of course, their opinions are all over the place.
http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13335.shtml#

Those tier lists have no consistency besides the top 4 lol.

I've already joined the EX Kyo dark side though, so I'll keep it that way. I genuinely enjoy his options.

Top Bottom