• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Charamiwa

Banned
Yeah it's one of my favorites
I think it's probably the weakest soundtrack from the localized games but it's still fairly good imo

It just feels really generic. The cheery music when in town, the by the number overworld songs... It actually reminds me of RPG maker stock music sometimes. It lacks an identity I guess.

Some of it I love though, like the mellow guitar tune that plays in the fishing spot by the lake. Or the victory theme.

jb1234

That's too bad, it's one of my favorites. Maybe he hates accordions or he had a bad experience in Zeiss's caves.

He finds it repetitive and out of place. I'll admit that I have trouble countering his argument. That said, I replaced all of my FC music files with the Evolution versions so I at least got a real violin in it.

PK Gaming

To me, one of the worst parts of the Orbment system was that in FC there weren't even colored lines -- and FC is where you're first learning the system, after all.
I later added a feature to the English PC version that colored the lines, so that it would be more like SC.
I think that helps the learning curve for FC a great deal.
It's still a bit "impenetrable" if you don't manage to grasp the basics at first, though.
Cold Steel's is certainly much more "accessible" for a new player.

You guys are unbelievably kickass

Nyoro SF

What do I need to do?

It basically needs a full overhaul.

Each game separated with store links to each PSN / Steam page, explanations on the current status of Crossbell, larger descriptions of all games individually, history of XSEED's involvement and links to their blog pieces... the works.

Man, that dual beast fight in the Bareahard sewers was probably the most i've struggled with this game so far. Not really feeling this 2nd field study party layout, vastly preferred the Rean, Elliot, Alisa, Laura team.

duckroll

It basically needs a full overhaul.

Each game separated with store links to each PSN / Steam page, explanations on the current status of Crossbell, larger descriptions of all games individually, history of XSEED's involvement and links to their blog pieces... the works.

That sounds like work.

Nyoro SF

That sounds like work.

Perhaps if you fired up your inner forbidden power and summoned a giant robot while simultaneously using a brokenly OP sword style on top of the power of friendship, you could get the job done. Or maybe you just need Towa to tell you to do it.

Jokes aside, if it's too much work, I would love to do it myself, whichever way it needs to be done.

Am I allowed to make new graphics for the thread or is that too much

really I just want to practice graphic designing but I need a project

Psxphile

To me, one of the worst parts of the Orbment system was that in FC there weren't even colored lines -- and FC is where you're first learning the system, after all.
I later added a feature to the English PC version that colored the lines, so that it would be more like SC.
I think that helps the learning curve for FC a great deal.
It's still a bit "impenetrable" if you don't manage to grasp the basics at first, though.
Cold Steel's is certainly much more "accessible" for a new player.

Happy Birthday.

It just feels really generic. The cheery music when in town, the by the number overworld songs... It actually reminds me of RPG maker stock music sometimes. It lacks an identity I guess.

Some of it I love though, like the mellow guitar tune that plays in the fishing spot by the lake. Or the victory theme.
The victory theme has more identity than something funky and well-arranged with a good melody like Rock on the Road? I haven't listened to RPGMaker stuff in ages, but this sounds distinct. Ruan's theme gets a little melancholic around the middle, too, and Grancel has really crisp instruments and dynamics. The latter two themes are likely by Takahide Murayama, so it's less a problem of identity and more not aligning or favoring the styles used throughout the soundtrack. But it's no more generic than the character tropes used in FC which reveal finer details upon inspection.

I wish Peace Bestowed by Twilight appeared more often, too.

He finds it repetitive and out of place. I'll admit that I have trouble countering his argument. That said, I replaced all of my FC music files with the Evolution versions so I at least got a real violin in it.
You've got a real violin but also just different, less or more fitting arrangements all-around. I'm not sure how that track's repetitive when it develops well beyond a minute.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Am I allowed to make new graphics for the thread or is that too much

really I just want to practice graphic designing but I need a project
I would really appreciate this actually

omgfloofy

Banned
A long time ago, I stitched the two cover images together of the big Kiseki artbooks at the request of Elliot when he was thinking about doing a series OT. I can provide the larger image if anyone wants it. (but I do request credit, because it was very frustrating task. lol)

Here's a small copy of it:
PjjxTd4.jpg

Nyoro SF

I need duckroll's permission to recreate a new OT, but it would be nice if we all collaborated together to make something presentable (and not TOO long, otherwise people are going to scroll past everything).

duckroll

Well Bebpo started the community thread in the first place, so I pinged him about it. Hopefully we can all work together on something soon! By we I mean, everyone else, while I sit here and do nothing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Make the introduction a tl;dr, then go wild with the rest of it. This is a detailed series 7 games and counting, trying to be concise is going to leave out information that's probably worth mentioning.

Or just suggest some updates for the current thread. Updated details plus a bit of additional information.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I suggest that the reworked thing should include a head pat meme at the end.
Not because it's funny but because it's the right thing to do.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ideally I think we'd post the new OT right as The 3rd OT moves to community to give the series the most exposure possible

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
One thing that was mentioned in the 3rd stream was that Brittany was considering tweaking the game titles for the PC releases. Like extending SC into Second Chapter.

That was something I'd thought about before, but the obvious problem is that it makes the title even more unwieldy. Personally, I'd be all for dropping "The Legend of Heroes" from the listing and library titles, but I'm curious what other people think of that.

Legend of Heroes obviously has a lot of history to it, but that history is largely Japanese. In the west all it really does is connect the games to the poorly localized PSP ports of the Gagharv games, which isn't really a positive. Beyond that connection, it's an unfortunately generic title that does nothing to draw attention to the games.

One thing that was mentioned in the 3rd stream was that Brittany was considering tweaking the game titles for the PC releases. Like extending SC into Second Chapter.

That was something I'd thought about before, but the obvious problem is that it makes the title even more unwieldy. Personally, I'd be all for dropping "The Legend of Heroes" from the listing and library titles, but I'm curious what other people think of that.

Legend of Heroes obviously has a lot of history to it, but that history is largely Japanese. In the west all it really does is connect the games to the poorly localized PSP ports of the Gagharv games, which isn't really a positive. Beyond that connection, it's an unfortunately generic title that does nothing to draw attention to the games.

I think it makes sense to drop "Legend of Heroes"; the question I suppose would be whether Falcom cares about keeping that branding.

omgfloofy

Banned
I think it makes sense to drop "Legend of Heroes"; the question I suppose would be whether Falcom cares about keeping that branding.

From my guess of how Falcom looks at the branding, they might insist that it stays. They actually dropped it from Nayuta no Kiseki to separate Nayuta from the rest of the Legend of Heroes titles. And on top of this, there are actual debates on whether or not Kiseki and Gagharv are actually linked. There are a lot of references back to Gagharv outside of the usual 'cameo' statements.

As one example, the Doll Knight novels originated from Gagharv- Song of the Ocean to be exact, and they actually reference the 'Workshops Thirteen' that comes up as a relatively big part in Kiseki, as well.

wrowa

#THEGREATDEBATE

If it's dropped , what would be a proper replacement?

Nothing. That's pretty much the point. People know the games by the Trails moniker anyway, so calling them "Trails something something" is enough. No need to have anything in front of it. Legend of Heroes hasn't been much of a thing in the west before Trails in the Sky to begin with, so it's not like there's much brand recognition there. (If anything the connection to the horribly localized Gagharv games does more harm than good).

The current name is just too long for the various store fronts. If you search for Trails on Steam, you can't even see at a glance that these are different games.

wgFfZGB.png

Of course, if Falcom wants to move on from the Trails games sooner or later it somewhat makes sense to keep the Legend of Heroes banner somewhere (even though it's going to take like 10 years before that happens :p). Maybe moving Legend of Heroes to be something more of a subtitle would help too ("Trails in the Sky - Legend of Heroes", "Trails of Cold Steel - Legend of Heroes"). I suppose that Falcom insists on keeping Legend of Heroes where it is, though.

Thud

Well Bebpo started the community thread in the first place, so I pinged him about it. Hopefully we can all work together on something soon! By we I mean, everyone else, while I sit here and do nothing.

While duckroll continues playing Persona 5.

"You never see it coming".

Gu4n

Of course, if Falcom wants to move on from the Trails games sooner or later it somewhat makes sense to keep the Legend of Heroes banner somewhere (even though it's going to take like 10 years before that happens :p). Maybe moving Legend of Heroes to be something more of a subtitle would help too ("Trails in the Sky - Legend of Heroes", "Trails of Cold Steel - Legend of Heroes"). I suppose that Falcom insists on keeping Legend of Heroes where it is, though.
I don't even see Falcom moving away from the naming convention unless, as omgfloofy pointed out, we're talking about a spin-off such as Nayuta. The problem we have doesn't exist for Falcom, considering the compact nature of Japanese.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky First Chapter
英雄伝説 空の軌跡FC

Also, +1 for refreshing the OP. Feel free to PM me if you need any assets.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing. That's pretty much the point. People know the games by the Trails moniker anyway, so calling them "Trails something something" is enough. No need to have anything in front of it. Legend of Heroes hasn't been much of a thing in the west before Trails in the Sky to begin with, so it's not like there's much brand recognition there. (If anything the connection to the horribly localized Gagharv games does more harm than good).

The current name is just too long for the various store fronts. If you search for Trails on Steam, you can't even see at a glance that these are different games.

wgFfZGB.png

I don't think the branding needs to be stripped entirely. Leave it in the logos and even things like press releases and game descriptions, but for storefronts/library listings have the shorter Trails in/of title. Much shorter and cleaner at a glance.

No, make it longer.

The Legend of Heroes, the Sixth, Trails in the Sky, the Second Chapter
The Legend of Heroes, the Eighth, Trails of Cold Steel, the Second

So vocaroo clips, youtube links to badly-done remixes and T&A in the OP?

You forgot the best part.

Spoiler-filled OP videos full of animation mistakes every five seconds and awful storyboarding that make Unlimited Blade Works 2012 look like Fate/Zero by comparison, and Engrish writing in various spots that mess up Falcom's own official Romanizations like "OBAL STORE", "POILCE", "CROSBELL STEIT"

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking hell. Trails 3rd drops in May? I won't be CLOSE to done with P5 by then. I also have Cosmic Star Heroine and Bayonetta on deck to play on Steam. 2017 has got to be close to eclipsing the best ever years in gaming at this point. There have been an EMBARRASSMENT of riches this year.

Trails FC & SC were some of the best RPGs I've played recently though so I gotta get to 3rd as soon as possible.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone think I can finish SC in eight days? Fifteen hours into the game.

(Unlikely.)
I think I finished SC in something like 60-65 hours, and this was without using Cheat Engine's speed hack. If you're not too busy it seems doable.

Top Bottom