• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Really need to get ready for 3rd beat FC when it came out and 3 times since didn't get SC until last winter sale on Steam and have been stalling playing it I just finished. Chapter 1 tonight I really need to get on this!

godisntheradio

Neo Member
i'm replaying FC now and i'm just about to meet
Zin
, i need to get accustomed to the new guy i mean name. This time i'm using a guide to get 100% (or very close to it) and i'm planning to replay SC too so i'll have to wait a little to play the 3rd, but i don't mind, fc and sc are great games, real good to revisit.

On a whim, I decided to listen to Cold Steel's OST again and got wrecked by nostalgia

Why did I do this to myself

it really is great, i'm working on sheet music for Suburban Town of Trista, i hope i can deliver something good enough for people who want to play, here's some favorites of mine

Into the Abyss
Whereabouts of Feelings
Afterschool Hours

basically i like everything but i'll refrain from posting every song.

Gu4n

Excited for Sky 3rd. Will finish persona 5 tonight then Cold Steel 2. 3rd is the most linear in the sky series am I correct?
No. It's not more or less linear than its predecessors, but you can do the side stories and backtrack whenever you want (until the point of no return).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So soon

I need to get on that OT. I promise it'll be good

vkrili

On a whim, I decided to listen to Cold Steel's OST again and got wrecked by nostalgia

Why did I do this to myself

Hah, I did the same thing yesterday. I actually only played them for the first time in February, but it's surprising how nostalgic it feels in such a short amount of time. Despite their shortcomings, I really do look back on CS1/2 with really fond memories.

The magic of Kiseki~

Psxphile

C-btE1nVYAAZ6UQ.jpg:small

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/857633766784684033

Thank you based Sara (and Falcom for keeping their source files!)

I bet
The Grandmaster
Dorothy took the pic.

Falcom definitely wasn't a dark age before Kiseki. Even before A Tear of Vermillion, there was the Brandish 2 and 3, which are still very playable to date and I feel they were too far ahead of their times. And I honestly think that even 1987's Sorcerian is still very playable (but only if you turn on the FM synth). Popful Mail's also fun, but I recommend the SNES/PCE version rather than the original PC98.
If we're talking about their storytelling in particular, then Ys II might be the start of Falcom's worldbuilding style before Brandish 2 and Legend of Heroes III developed that aspect. And it's tempting to use Dinosaur as an example, but I wonder how much of that game's story comes from director Kazunari Tomi (who left to start Studio Alex and direct Lunar) rather than other employees. Legend of Xanadu probably precedes Kiseki in one area a bit more than Gagharv, and that's lots of NPCs with details like day-night schedules and new dialogue per plot beat.

Gu4n

It seems The 3rd is Hatsuu's favourite Sky game. It's also my favourite Sky game. It's also omgfloofy's favourite Sky game.

Fate has decided that I was forced to take the 4th and 5th off from work. What a timing.

Def buying the 3rd on release but will most likely be burnt out on jrpg turn based games after I finish persona. So I will get around to playing the 3rd eventually.

Jolkien

I finish my work week on May 3rd, then I don't get back to work until the 14th. Give it to me.

Speaking of which, I wonder when Steam will allow us to buy the game.

Tonton

It seems The 3rd is Hatsuu's favourite Sky game. It's also my favourite Sky game. It's also omgfloofy's favourite Sky game.

3rd should be everyone's favorite
Except Shouta's for some reason.
Stop getting me too hyped >:c

I finish my work week on May 3rd, then I don't get back to work until the 14th. Give it to me.

Speaking of which, I wonder when Steam will allow us to buy the game.
XSEED never do preorder for their Steam games, it'll probably be available on the usual store update on the 3rd

Vamphuntr

My money is ready for the 3rd. I guess it's some dumb Valve's rule explaining why I can't preorder and preload this.

This part of the steam page made me laugh hard.

Even More Olivier
As if two Sky games was enough Olivier.

Don't worry there was this quest in SC where you could get a product to not get drunk.As long as oliver is there only one to use it , he should be fine... unless sheera has a final form ...

My money is ready for the 3rd. I guess it's some dumb Valve's rule explaining why I can't preorder and preload this.

if i remember the twitch stream properly , it seems that they are going to polish the release until the last minute... probably why we can't preload

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
if i remember the twitch stream properly , it seems that they are going to polish the release until the last minute... probably why we can't preload

For what it's worth, they also said just about everything left would be quick fixes for minor stuff. Given they still seemed to have a pretty decent amount of things to do I kind of expect a few small lingering issues at release, mostly related to widescreen. Happened with both FC and SC.

They also said they wanted to put the game up for preorder (not sure about preload) but Valve wouldn't let them. Seems weird to me, but whatever.

As I understand it, it has to do with maximizing time on the top sellers list. Preorders are counted as sales at the time they're placed, which means the game doesn't benefit from a burst of sales helping it on the top sellers list at launch. Niche games heavily rely on that as one of the only times they'll get front page exposure, so taking preorders hurts their chances at getting more eyes on their game.

Vamphuntr

For what it's worth, they also said just about everything left would be quick fixes for minor stuff. Given they still seemed to have a pretty decent amount of things to do I kind of expect a few small lingering issues at release, mostly related to widescreen. Happened with both FC and SC.

They also said they wanted to put the game up for preorder (not sure about preload) but Valve wouldn't let them. Seems weird to me, but whatever.

Yeah it seems Valve decide if you can have your game for preorder or not :/

Yeah it seems Valve decide if you can have your game for preorder or not :/

it's a total shame , no doubt since i want to see the game in my library ASAP , even if i can't play it.

As I understand it, it has to do with maximizing time on the top sellers list. Preorders are counted as sales at the time they're placed, which means the game doesn't benefit from a burst of sales helping it on the top sellers list at launch. Niche games heavily rely on that as one of the only times they'll get front page exposure, so taking preorders hurts their chances at getting more eyes on their game.

Oh well , make sense i guess... the more chances of this game selling the better it is.

Yeah, I think $50 is Valve's minimum for pre-orders. Never seen anything smaller-priced get a preorder option before.

I'll likely finish persona 5 tomorrow so I'll be perfectly ready for more Trails next week. Is there an 100% bracer/school points guide for this game? Or does third not have such nonsense?

vkrili

I'll likely finish persona 5 tomorrow so I'll be perfectly ready for more Trails next week. Is there an 100% bracer/school points guide for this game? Or does third not have such nonsense?
Third has PP, Priest Points. Whenever you have the opportunity to be a good priest of the Septian Church, you will gain PP. Sadly, there are no opportunities in the game to increase your PP.

Psxphile

Don't worry there was this quest in SC where you could get a product to not get drunk.As long as oliver is there only one to use it , he should be fine... unless sheera has a final form ...

I think this might be a flashback to his first meeting w/ Aina. Which happened off-screen in FC.

That sequence in SC is a direct result of that first disastrous night out.

Kvik

Well, if it takes roughly 80 hours to get full bracer points completion in SC, you will need to play 16 hours/day until release :p

Ascheroth

Yeah, this is how I understand it as well. Valve recommends a launch discount instead of preorders for smaller games to maximize launch visibility.
Yeah, I think $50 is Valve's minimum for pre-orders. Never seen anything smaller-priced get a preorder option before.
Doubtful. I preordered FFXIII and Dragon's Dogma when they came out and one was a 15€ game and the other 30€. I'm fairly sure they are a few more as well.

Third has PP, Priest Points. Whenever you have the opportunity to be a good priest of the Septian Church, you will gain PP. Sadly, there are no opportunities in the game to increase your PP.

So, is there some meta-commentary in that, or is it something that was supposed to be in the game but was incompletely cut when Falcom decided against it?

Gu4n

So, is there some meta-commentary in that, or is it something that was supposed to be in the game but was incompletely cut when Falcom decided against it?
No, there just aren't side quests or an institution to hand out points like in the other games. The setting doesn't lend itself to it so it's not in there. (And it's terribly liberating)

No, there just aren't side quests or an institution to hand out points like in the other games. The setting doesn't lend itself to it so it's not in there. (And it's terribly liberating)

Is it even a trails game without bull shit tiny window secrets to permanently fuck up your score?

Top Bottom