• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Arthea

Just happy I can fish again for the first time in like 10 hours, so my approach is probably pretty slow. Darn it, SC is almost twice as long as the first game.

almost, yeah, even I think they overdid a bit with that 8th chapter and I like a game a lot.

It's the penultimate chapter iirc
It'll obviously depend on how much time you have available but can be done

If true, GRRRRRRRRRRRR.......... Wasted space on the Notebook! There's room for one more chapter tab after 9! I hate poorly spaced menus.

Speaking of Ch8... I'm not sure if I should find it hilarious or sad that
the Ruan bridge is stuck in the upright position. No engineer in real-life would sign off on such a massive Single Point of Failure like that without way to manually control that bridge in case of a power outage or emergency.

Especially funny since everything else seems to have had a "Stay Open in Case of Orbal Shutdown" failsafe in place.

If true, GRRRRRRRRRRRR.......... Wasted space on the Notebook! There's room for one more chapter tab after 9! I hate poorly spaced menus.

Speaking of Ch8... I'm not sure if I should find it hilarious or sad that
the Ruan bridge is stuck in the upright position. No engineer in real-life would sign off on such a massive Single Point of Failure like that without way to manually control that bridge in case of a power outage or emergency.

Especially funny since everything else seems to have had a "Stay Open in Case of Orbal Shutdown" failsafe in place.
Trails SC chapter 8 spoilers

The thing is that the design probably took priority on the boats that need to pass no matter what.
While i agree that a failsafe to manipulate the bridge should have existed , nobody thought about it since the orbal revolution happenned so fast and made things so easy.
Like , if i understood things right ,
it was the first time orbments didn't work , since they were discovered, so by design they didn't think about an alternate.
Look at the steam engine quest in FC , nobody except russel could figure out an alternate way to deal with the situation. No doubt that this will change their designs philosophies in the next years.

Trails SC chapter 6 spoilers

The thing is that the design probably took priority on the boats that need to pass no matter what.
While i agree that a failsafe to manipulate the bridge should have existed , nobody thought about it since the orbal revolution happenned so fast and made things so easy.
Like , if i understood things right ,
it was the first time orbments didn't work , since they were discovered, so by design they didn't think about an alternate.
Look at the steam engine quest in FC , nobody except russel could figure out an alternate way to deal with the situation. No doubt that this will change their designs philosophies in the next years.

Uh, what does Ch6 have to do with that though? Ch6 took place on
the exact opposite side of Liberl.

Also, love how the game doesn't take
Gilbert
seriously at all, and gives him the normal battle theme after everyone preceding him had the Boss Theme.

creid

Seeing this:
C-hiGzDUAAEpWKw.jpg:small

makes me think:

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| A priest and a nun walk into a bar...

PK Gaming

Man, Estelle's character development in SC is outrageously good. It's not just present in story scenes, it permeates into sidequests as well.

Also Agate from being "that guy, he's pretty good" to "can you believe how good this character is?!"

Uh, what does Ch6 have to do with that though? Ch6 took place on
the exact opposite side of Liberl.

Also, love how the game doesn't take
Gilbert
seriously at all, and gives him the normal battle theme after everyone preceding him had the Boss Theme.

Because i meant to write 8 and wrote 6 by mistake.
Will fix

So what's with all these weird sprite bugs in SC?

Like, Kloe's S-Break sometimes displays the entire sprite-sheet of Tear on her, and now I'm noticing in Chapter 8
Ridge's sprite switches to a Miner NPC's sprite when he's attacked

Sara

A lot of those are artifacts of working off of the PSP version as a base rather than the PC version when dealing with SC, due to the way the translation was handled.
3rd doesn't have the same problem, but I've never had enough opportunities to go back and correct all of the instances still lingering in SC (and a small couple in FC).

Xeteh

A lot of those are artifacts of working off of the PSP version as a base rather than the PC version when dealing with SC, due to the way the translation was handled. 3rd doesn't have the same problem, but I've never had enough opportunities to go back and correct all of the instances still lingering in SC (and a small couple in FC).

gasp How dare you.

jb1234

Plowed my way through SC's third chapter in five hours. Some really exciting plot stuff happened and a tough series of boss battles. Am now 15 hours into the game!

Tonton

6 mln copies joke, does it mean we aren't getting zero and ao ever?
Nah they just give that kind of joke response because really they can't say anything and people begging for games/ports a lot gets tiring (I remember seeing something similar about getting Cold Steel on PC and here we are)

Shahed

This completely slipped my mind. And to think I was so excited when it was announced for release, yet here it is coming out in 2 days and I completely forgot about it.

Still need to finish Tales of Berseria first (around half way through at a guess) ane I haven't even started Horizon and Persona 5...

vkrili

I'm listening to The Merciless Savior while Estelle shouts "Wheel of Time!" over and over again, please send help, I cannot last these last hours

Man, Estelle's character development in SC is outrageously good. It's not just present in story scenes, it permeates into sidequests as well.

Also Agate from being "that guy, he's pretty good" to "can you believe how good this character is?!"

Plowed my way through SC's third chapter in five hours. Some really exciting plot stuff happened and a tough series of boss battles. Am now 15 hours into the game!

qjWJYHj.png

Yall have NO IDEA what's coming.

NO IDEA.

Thoraxes

Original or Evolution version? Gah, they're both great!

The drums are a little too heavy (and the bass line a little muddy) in the Evo version for me, but yeah, it's still definitely a decent version of it! The slightly faster tempo of the original is something I like more too.

Also, I can hear the subdivisions of the bass much better in the original, which definitely accentuate the 5/4 (3+2) they're doing. The drums in the Evo version lack accentuating the latter half of the bars (untill ~0:55), so on my initial listening, I felt a little lost in that intro section.

Then in the last section before the loop with the fully melody, like, I just do not like the drum pattern nearly as much as the original, but this just straight up comes down to personal preference. My favorite part about the snare in the original is that even though the melody was clearly moving in something like a 3/4 pattern, the snare hits were all like they were in 6/8, with hits on beats 3 and 6, while the kick and closed hi-hat were playing in the 3/4 time. Yet again, this was only in the first section of thise part in the Evo version, and when the set patterns from the original pop in, everything clicks into place for me on the Evo version. There's a distinct difference between when they are/aren't using the original's set patterns to my ears anyways. I've listened to the song for probably thousands of hours (like a crazy person), which I think explains a little bit of my obsession...

I'm a huge lover of complex time signatures and polyrhythm though, so it's always the first thing my ears pick up, haha. I like both, but definitely prefer the original for how tight it is and how clean the EQ is.

jb1234

The drums are a little too heavy (and the bass line a little muddy) in the Evo version for me, but yeah, it's still definitely a decent version of it! The slightly faster tempo of the original is something I like more too.

Also, I can hear the subdivisions of the bass much better in the original, which definitely accentuate the 5/4 (3+2) they're doing. The drums in the Evo version lack accentuating the latter half of the bars (untill ~0:55), so on my initial listening, I felt a little lost in that intro section.

Then in the last section before the loop with the fully melody, like, I just do not like the drum pattern nearly as much as the original, but this just straight up comes down to personal preference. My favorite part about the snare in the original is that even though the melody was clearly moving in something like a 3/4 pattern, the snare hits were all like they were in 6/8, with hits on beats 3 and 6, while the kick and closed hi-hat were playing in the 3/4 time. Yet again, this was only in the first section of thise part in the Evo version, and when the set patterns from the original pop in, everything clicks into place for me on the Evo version. There's a distinct difference between when they are/aren't using the original's set patterns to my ears anyways. I've listened to the song for probably thousands of hours (like a crazy person), which I think explains a little bit of my obsession...

I'm a huge lover of complex time signatures and polyrhythm though, so it's always the first thing my ears pick up, haha. I like both, but definitely prefer the original for how tight it is and how clean the EQ is.

Yeah, there's trade-offs. I tend to prefer the use of real instruments so the vocalists and violin really appeal to me but there is definitely more activity in the lower end which clouds up the textures. I almost entirely preferred the Evo versions of FC but I'm finding that I'm more split when it comes to SC.

godisntheradio

Neo Member

the original feels a lot more jazzy, and the violins after the vocal part feels better, i mean, has more impact, it fits well with the drum pattern you mentioned. I really love merciless savior too.

UberTag

I really appreciate that The 3rd is being released on The 3rd.
Will it be going live on Steam at the crack of midnight tomorrow night or at some arbitrary time during the day on Wednesday?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
FC Evo's soundtrack is okay. I'd say it's mostly just "different." Off the top of my head the worst song was Ancient Makes, which was just ill-fitting compared to the original. It's not even a bad arrangement, it just doesn't work as well for the boss.

SC though. They totally ruined Fate of the Fairies, Fateful Confrontation, Silver Will, Strepitoso Fight, Fight With Assailant... basically all the battle themes, among others.

I really appreciate that The 3rd is being released on The 3rd.
Will it be going live on Steam at the crack of midnight tomorrow night or at some arbitrary time during the day on Wednesday?

Steam says about 37 hours from now. A shame it isn't midnight, I'm off Wednesday but not off again after that until Sunday.

jb1234

FC Evo's soundtrack is okay. I'd say it's mostly just "different." Off the top of my head the worst song was Ancient Makes, which was just ill-fitting compared to the original. It's not even a bad arrangement, it just doesn't work as well for the boss.

SC though. They totally ruined Fate of the Fairies, Fateful Confrontation, Silver Will, Strepitoso Fight, Fight With Assailant... basically all the battle themes, among others.

Yeah, I don't like what they did with most of the battle themes. And the new version of Sora Wo Miagete is horrific.

Thoraxes

Yeah, I don't like what they did with most of the battle themes. And the new version of Sora Wo Miagete is horrific.
This is by far one of the biggest offenders.
Yeah, there's trade-offs. I tend to prefer the use of real instruments so the vocalists and violin really appeal to me but there is definitely more activity in the lower end which clouds up the textures. I almost entirely preferred the Evo versions of FC but I'm finding that I'm more split when it comes to SC.
Overall, I feel like FC Evo's stuff almost uniformly lives up to and enhances the originals. I had pretty much zero qualms with those arrangements, and they stayed pretty faithful to the essence of the originals, instead of just arranging for the sake of arranging.

I'm not sure who exactly was in charge of each, but whoever did FC's definitely felt like they knew what the essence of the tracks was and was able to translate it pretty well into a new version. They could've gone the boring route with those arrangements too, but they managed to breathe new life into the originals while maintaining that essence. Lots of little bits and pieces of different instrumentation, some even with live performances, and since it was coming from a more tech restricted time, I feel like the difference is the biggest with FC's. Also Ruan is my favorite town track, so to hear that with better steel drum samples was like a dream come true for me, haha.

SC Evo I just find it almost all does't really line up with that philosophy, and to me feels more... I guess for a lack of better words, sloppy.
the original feels a lot more jazzy, and the violins after the vocal part feels better, i mean, has more impact, it fits well with the drum pattern you mentioned. I really love merciless savior too.
Yup, that basically sums it up perfectly. Sometimes I get a little wordy when describing music, haha.

Most FC Evo arrangements were handled by either Yukihiro Jindo (the usual orchestra/"live instruments" person who really just has very good VSTs) and Toshiharu Okajima (former jdk Band drummer and upper classmate to Noriyuki Kamikura), both of whom did solid work even if most tracks end up being sidegrades.

I feel like the only one who prefers Ancient Makes Evo to the original, as it's still electronic enough for
Reverie
but now has sufficient oomph with added guitar and drumming. And, knowing more about exactly what the FC final boss is, there's more gravity when you fight
Reverie
knowing
it's the last of its kind, locked away by the Auslese family right after they sealed the Aureole
. I think Challenger Invited and Silver Will benefit more from the instrument and intensity upgrades than Ancient Makes, but it's a nice sidegrade I prefer and I can think of other disappointing arrangements (some are simplified from the original, like this sloppy Setting Off, and Rock on the Road has an inappropriate drum beat and violin replacing the flute/accordion melody). Most of Wataru Ishibashi's tracks sound good in FC Evo at least.

jb1234

Overall, I feel like FC Evo's stuff almost uniformly lives up to and enhances the originals. I had pretty much zero qualms with those arrangements, and they stayed pretty faithful to the essence of the originals, instead of just arranging for the sake of arranging.

I'm not sure who exactly was in charge of each, but whoever did FC's definitely felt like they knew what the essence of the tracks was and was able to translate it pretty well into a new version. They could've gone the boring route with those arrangements too, but they managed to breathe new life into the originals while maintaining that essence. Lots of little bits and pieces of different instrumentation, some even with live performances, and since it was coming from a more tech restricted time, I feel like the difference is the biggest with FC's. Also Ruan is my favorite town track, so to hear that with better steel drum samples was like a dream come true for me, haha.

SC Evo I just find it almost all does't really line up with that philosophy, and to me feels more... I guess for a lack of better words, sloppy.

Yeah, I'm in agreement. When it comes to remakes/remasters, I prefer a conservative approach. Upgrade the synth, use live players if the budget is there, otherwise leave the music alone. Wondering how 3rd Evo compares to the original now (as I'm not familiar with that music at all).

Thoraxes

Most FC Evo arrangements were handled by either Yukihiro Jindo (the usual orchestra/"live instruments" person who really just has very good VSTs) and Toshiharu Okajima (former jdk Band drummer and upper classmate to Noriyuki Kamikura), both of whom did solid work even if most tracks end up being sidegrades.

I feel like the only one who prefers Ancient Makes Evo to the original, as it's still electronic enough for
Reverie
but now has sufficient oomph with added guitar and drumming. And, knowing more about exactly what the FC final boss is, there's more gravity when you fight
Reverie
knowing
it's the last of its kind, locked away by the Auslese family right after they sealed the Aureole
. I think Challenger Invited and Silver Will benefit more from the instrument and intensity upgrades than Ancient Makes, but it's a nice sidegrade I prefer and I can think of other disappointing arrangements (some are simplified from the original, like this sloppy Setting Off, and Rock on the Road has an inappropriate drum beat and violin replacing the flute/accordion melody). Most of Wataru Ishibashi's tracks sound good in FC Evo at least.

I'm taking notes on this! I love all the Falcom music so much, but I am woefully lacking in knowledge of names to pieces/arrangements/games.

As for Ancient Makes, I totally feel like it's a matter of preference because it's a really good arrangement. I'd say I like both equally, with me just preferring one or the other based on what mood i'm in at the time.

And I actually think I would disagree with you on Rock on the Road and Setting Off, in that I don't really think they're sloppy, but more that they're arranged around the live performance. The timbre of the violin in Setting Off is definitely something that I can understand people not agreeing with, and I admit, at first I was not too hot on it, but eventually came around. What's funny is that the Evo version lacks more of the hand percussion sounds present in the original, where it's the opposite for Rock on the Road.

For Rock on the Road, I actually liked the addition of the clapping sounds because it gave a little bit more texture and movement to the piece. One minor thing that most wouldn't notice is the addition of making that open 5th sound ever-present in the A/A' section. It totally changes the feel of the piece in a not so noticeable way. But if you don't like that clapping rhythm, it totally makes since that it would ruin it for you. I don't think it necessarily makes it a disappointing arrangement because the fundamentals are all there; in this case it's just a different seasoning.

You kind of hear the same thing happen in Secret Green Passage, where I can see that B section being a complete hit or miss for people. I liked the added intensity of the clapping, guitar strumming, and added string harmonizations (that were pretty lush and filled out the sound a lot!). I can also see how abandoning the kind of low marimba syncopated pattern would rub people the wrong way.

As far as clapping goes, I also really love listening to and performing Steve Reich's Clapping Music.

Yeah, I'm in agreement. When it comes to remakes/remasters, I prefer a conservative approach. Upgrade the synth, use live players if the budget is there, otherwise leave the music alone. Wondering how 3rd Evo compares to the original now (as I'm not familiar with that music at all).
As far as in-game stuff, totally. Now when you have arrangement albums and extraneous stuff, I say go wild with your imagination. I only say this because of Hamauzu's piano works and general concert arrangements of stuff, haha.

Secret Green Passage is a weird one because, as much as I think it's way overbearing and melodramatic vs. the original, the added sections flesh it out so much.

Meanwhile I appreciate the complexity in rhythm in tracks like Pinch!!, but the other parts have barely changed to match and the style's all over the place, coming across as a sloppy jazz-fusion rather than whimsical bebop. Since it's likely by the same composer as Sophisticated Fight (Takahide Murayama), I think Pinch!! sounding so different even from SophistiFight Evo hurts it contextually and standalone. Jindo's work on Recapture and the Madrigal tracks fares much better.

Top Bottom