• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Not every game needs to be a romantic plot, though. The Sky games worked because the romance was really a key part of the story, but not every story needs to have the same focus.

Yar, I have conceded that a focus on romance is not necessarily the story Falcom need to tell. But consider this:

[CS I & II]
It's obvious that Rean-Alisa is the pairing the writers want to push. They have their meet-cute, they have a heart-to-heart talk beneath the stars, their Festival event is the most romantic, their reunion is the most dramatic and they even have a "we've actually met each other when we're little" backstory.

Why not make that official? Surely that would make the narrative tidier, however inconsequential the romantic subplot is. Surely they could use it to enhance the story and motivation, no matter how little, instead of having those sporadic and awkward catch-all moments like "whose face do Rean think of before he dies" and tacked-on personal dialogues at the end of few scenes.

No disagreements here. I just disagree with the idea that Cold Steel, or any game not containing such a romance plot is a failing of that game or its structure.

To clarify, though: the romance angle is just my personal preference and disappointments, and any dismay I expresses about a game not having it is less about the game's failing in structure and more about it failing to specifically cater to me.

The focus on developing Rean's personal relationship with everybody at the cost of expounding on everyone's relationships with each other, though... that I consider a general flaw in a narrative that's supposedly about a tight-knit group.

Does anyone know a site that sells ToCS2 key chains that xseed were giving out before the game was release?

Chara-Ani sells them. They ship overseas.

---

I actually got that link from what duckroll posted during the whole Keychain Pledge Incident, so here's to you (and my Joshua keychain), PK Gaming.

Gu4n

North Ambria seems a lot bigger than I had assumed. I had been thinking it was a much smaller place, more on par with maybe a couple of regions of Liberl.
I also thought it was smaller, but then this map of Remiferia showed up in Akatsuki.

Remiferia_Map_%28Akatsuki%29.png

You see that the nothern coastline runs further north, which has to be North Ambria. In the top-right corner, you can see that blue oddity next to river, which I interpreted as the affected area next to the Greves river. Since two southern of the five districts were not affected, I basically made an assessment of North Ambria's size based on Remiferia's map/what we know from Star Door 2.

Also, I made sure that (CS3 news spoilers)
the southern two North Ambrian districts plus Erebonia including Crossbell are larger than Calvard in terms of mass.

Zephyx

I also thought it was smaller, but then this map of Remiferia showed up in Akatsuki.

You see that the nothern coastline runs further north, which has to be North Ambria. In the top-right corner, you can see that blue oddity next to river, which I interpreted as the affected area next to the Greves river. Since two southern of the five districts were not affected, I basically made an assessment of North Ambria's size based on Remiferia's map/what we know from Star Door 2.

Also, I made sure that (CS3 news spoilers)
the southern two North Ambrian districts plus Erebonia including Crossbell are larger than Calvard in terms of mass.

CS3 news (don't really know if a spoiler or not):
Is it safe to assume that the restricted area is not conquered by Erebonia? I think Osborne would definitely include that in the annexation of North Ambria.

Where is Agate's bandana?! :D

Gu4n

CS3 news (don't really know if a spoiler or not):
Is it safe to assume that the restricted area is not conquered by Erebonia? I think Osborne would definitely include that in the annexation of North Ambria.

Where is Agate's bandana?! :D
I think that area is his aim, especially since it has been restricted territory for... more than three decades now?

I think that area is his aim, especially since it has been restricted territory for... more than three decades now?

It's restricted by the church, yar? Do we know how much power the church holds over things like this? Can't Osborne just... lap it up through sheer military power?

And aaaw Tita! Agate looks wrong without the sideburns, though...

Yar, I have conceded that a focus on romance is not necessarily the story Falcom need to tell. But consider this:

Chara-Ani sells them. They ship overseas.

---

I actually got that link from what duckroll posted during the whole Keychain Pledge Incident, so here's to you (and my Joshua keychain), PK Gaming.

Awesome thank you very much
I notice its missing a few characters and some don't have their cs2 costumes but thats fine place to start at. Is Laura unavailable atm or out of stock?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Really digging their new looks. They really do look appropriately older - just enough to notice, but not enough so that it seems too drastic.

Awesome thank you very much
I notice its missing a few characters and some don't have their cs2 costumes but thats fine place to start at. Is Laura unavailable atm or out of stock?

Aaa, yes, it seems to be out of stock. I am not really familiar with things like these and don't know if would ever be restocked, sorry.

You might want to put it into Watch List on AmiAmi.

Zephyx

My assumption is that he already has control over it when the annexation was done. I remember reading that brute force was used to conquer the area. I guess he's not that brave enough to confront the church head on if he still hasn't controlled it.

Stupid theory on why it was annexed:
I guess Lechter, if he is truly a member of Ouroboros, wanted to gain control of the restricted area for their own purposes. The area is under control by the church meaning there is something special on it. It would make sense to have it part of Erebonia instead so they can find out what exactly happened without interference of the church.

One more thing
Did you order directly from that site or was there a English version of it?

Okay, so...

My initial statement might have been misleading. When I open the Chara-ani website, there is this big button on the side about shipping the goods to my country. So apparently the store has an importing partnership with a local company and I ordered from there. I was assuming that Chara-ani would have similar partnerships with other countries, but now that I've read around, it might not be true?

So I actually have no idea how to get that shipped to your place. I'm really sorry!

vkrili

I for one am glad this isn't Ace Attorney and characters are allowed to look different after several years

Looking at you, Pearls.

holysan

I hope that after Sen they let someone else design the characters. It's the same with Fire Emblem. Kozaki's looked good for the first time, but get boring really fast.

Squire

Banned
I hope that after Sen they let someone else design the characters. It's the same with Fire Emblem. Kozaki's looked good for the first time, but get boring really fast.

Not that it invalidates your point, but teen Tita might be one of my favorite designs in the series.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Welp better hope then that the most popular anime aesthetic changes until then.
I kind of like the original Zero/Ao art wonder what happened to that artist though.
3rd evo cover has also an interesting style.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Welp better hope then that the most popular anime aesthetic changes until then.
I kind of like the original Zero/Ao art wonder what happened to that artist though.
3rd evo cover has also an interesting style.
Zero/Ao artist is by far my favorite.

Sen/CS's art has this weird glossy look to it. It's the total inverse of Sky's faded out colors. Zero/Ao's art looked very crisp and clean, and the character designs were amazing too.

SolVanderlyn

Nobuhiro Watsuki would be a good artist for Trails IMO. His designs would really flourish with the colorful direction Falcom's characters usually take.

QWIhH3m.jpg

I'd take Doi for Kiseki, but Kaneko's domain is something more like Xanadu or Vantage Master. Whoever can do a great range of expressions, along with balanced designs and less disparity between stupidly-detailed clothes/armor and faces devoid of detail, would be ideal (plus actual noses for characters, not points or lumps or nothing for the ladies).

Katsumi Enami's great and provided the best middle-ground style for Kiseki illustration (not too hard to do quick promo stuff but also polished artwork), but he's expensive and busy with other things. The internal lead illustrator for Sen seems to be doing a slick, pale imitation of Enami's style which the Akatsuki promo artist does better anyway. And I really don't think these artists match the FC/SC/3rd character/portrait illustrator who did great expressions for so many characters (even Jack and Halle in 3rd's Sun Door 4 which I just beat).

Who knows how much impact the illustrators have on character design, too. The new Agate's a mixed bag for me (no bandana, stupid belts, huge ears but a nice expression and trendy look which suits him), but Tita looks better than I expected.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'd take Doi for Kiseki, but Kaneko's domain is something more like Xanadu or Vantage Master. Whoever can do a great range of expressions, along with balanced designs and less disparity between stupidly-detailed clothes/armor and faces devoid of detail, would be ideal (plus actual noses for characters, not points or lumps or nothing for the ladies).

Katsumi Enami's great and provided the best middle-ground style for Kiseki illustration (not too hard to do quick promo stuff but also polished artwork), but he's expensive and busy with other things. The internal lead illustrator for Sen seems to be doing a slick, pale imitation of Enami's style which the Akatsuki promo artist does better anyway. And I really don't think these artists match the FC/SC/3rd character/portrait illustrator who did great expressions for so many characters (even Jack and Halle in 3rd's Sun Door 4 which I just beat).

Who knows how much impact the illustrators have on character design, too. The new Agate's a mixed bag for me (no bandana, stupid belts, huge ears but a nice expression and trendy look which suits him), but Tita looks better than I expected.

I see, that explains it. No matter how but I hope the series someday gets back to the range of expressiveness from the Sky games it's 1 of the aspects of that game that are to this day incredibly stellar in ways a lot of other games aren't.
----------------------------
Also just in case my Kaneko suggestion is 100% a joke cause my other suggestion is the original artist of Onepunchman and mob psycho :-x
Well make it 95% cause the other 5% are just my morbid curiosity of fan reaction/response.

strifev1

Neo Member

I love how practical and not "Nomura" looking the designs are but to each their own.

zakujanai

Mini skirt doesn't seem enormously practical for a mechanic/engineer.

I was annoyed seeing this picture without spoiler tags but then I still went and looked at the other 3 images so I guess I waived my right to complain. I'd rather have gone into the game not knowing but that's not how Japan does things, I learnt a long time ago never to watch Japanese trailers or even intro videos.

strifev1

Neo Member
That's more like a strap that may be used for his sword sheath or something. In another pic you can see its also clipped to the back of the belt too, but its more just a strap than another belt. Its more practical than the generic JRPG design of 'buckles and belts for every appendage' imo, and none of the outfit designs are over-exaggerated at all.

It wasn't fair for me to single out Nomura so I changed it to "generic JRPG design" lol

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
That's more like a strap that may be used for his sword sheath or something. In another pic you can see its also clipped to the back of the belt too, but its more just a strap than another belt. Its more practical than the generic JRPG design of 'buckles and belts for every appendage' imo, and none of the outfit designs are over-exaggerated at all.

It wasn't fair for me to single out Nomura so I changed it to "generic JRPG design" lol

Yeah, I guess it could be a lot worse; and he was literally wearing two belts in his original design anyway (4, depending on what those round his legs are).

Tonton

Looking at the scans, it doesn't look like Tita is playable, she doesn't have a weapon listed in her profile and there's no cut in art in sight​

This is pretty disappointing

Looking at the scans, it doesn't look like Tita is playable, she doesn't have a weapon listed in her profile and there's no cut in art in sight​

This is pretty disappointing
I like Tita...but I'm still sitting here hoping that CS3 will let me get a satisfying ending for class vii. I don't really like the idea of bringing in TitS characters at this stage. I'm hoping Agate isn't playable either.

Top Bottom