• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Psxphile

Didn't The 3rd come out...last month?
Right? We just got a pretty meaty game (still not finished, in the chapter with the monuments) but peeps already want more. More importantly, they know there's more out there and want it yesterday.

P4wt1jp.gif

It needs to be reiterated that we might not hear localization announcements for Cold Steel III until after it's JP release. Though considering NISA and Ys VIII, maybe that stipulation isn't a sure thing anymore?

Gu4n

Right? We just got a pretty meaty game (still not finished, in the chapter with the monuments) but peeps already want more. More importantly, they know there's more out there and want it yesterday.

It needs to be reiterated that we might not hear localization announcements for Cold Steel III until after it's JP release. Though considering NISA and Ys VIII, maybe that stipulation isn't a sure thing anymore?
Hatsuu clearly said her mystery project wouldn't be at E3.

Remind yourself every now and then that while XSEED so graciously served you the superior versions of FC, SC, The 3rd, Cold Steel and Cold Steel II within a time period of 1.5 year, all Japan got since Sen II's release is some subpar ports of the first trilogy and an online game suffering from f2p mechanics.

Well, and Ys VIII.

Thud

It not being xseed has tempered my hype some just because I far greater appreciate the work xseed does than NISA, but I'll still be getting it and will most likely enjoy it regardless.

After listening to some songs on the album Falcom put on spotify, yeah I'm thinking the hype is back.

Shouldn't have listened to Zero's soundtrack tho. Now I want to play it even more, but Inevitable Struggle is so good, couldn't resist. :p

In the absence of more trails, I'm getting pretty hyped about Ys VIII.

And Zwei II (or whatever the localized name was).

After listening to some songs on the album Falcom put on spotify, yeah I'm thinking the hype is back.

Shouldn't have listened to Zero's soundtrack tho. Now I want to play it even more, but Inevitable Struggle is so good, couldn't resist. :p

This. This is why I didn't go past "Get Over That Barrier!" and "Geofront" that I already heard. It makes That Thirst take control again...

Jiraiza

Just finished FC Evo, that cliffhanger though.

Playing through FC just reinforced my opinion that Estelle >>>>>> Rean as a protagonist. Her VA makes her even better. I have absolutely zero qualms about the romance between Estelle and Joshua; they just work well together.

Thud

And Zwei II (or whatever the localized name was).

This. This is why I didn't go past "Get Over That Barrier!" and "Geofront" that I already heard. It makes That Thirst take control again...

Zwei :The Ilvard Insurrection or just Zwei: II. Also looking forward to that.

In my defense Inevitable Struggle is the first track on the super arrange album :p.

Just finished FC Evo, that cliffhanger though.

Playing through FC just reinforced my opinion that Estelle >>>>>> Rean as a protagonist. Her VA makes her even better. I have absolutely zero qualms about the romance between Estelle and Joshua; they just work well together.

h2xcHlE.png

"I have ON-ly JUST begun..."

c1d

Half of those are administrative/financial, one-third of the other half musicians. They'd have to re-do almost all of the assets to make it worthwhile it as a re-master. I rather see them outsourcing it to Chara-Ani now they are with Evo than doing it internally themselves.
Did they do all of that with the PS3 versions of sora/sky? Maybe I'm thinking more along the lines of a straight port to the PS4 engine instead of a full remaster.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What's with LRG having Zero and Ao in their list, just requests people have made? It would be pretty disappointing to see a company with no localization experience end up picking those up. Probably only slightly better than a Joyoland English version.

What's with LRG having Zero and Ao in their list, just requests people have made? It would be pretty disappointing to see a company with no localization experience end up picking those up. Probably only slightly better than a Joyoland English version.

People are just making lists of games they want to see done, since LRG said they wanted to localize something at some point (aka something small with minimal text). Some expectations of what people want from them are insane and will never happen.

Gu4n

Did they do all of that with the PS3 versions of sora/sky? Maybe I'm thinking more along the lines of a straight port to the PS4 engine instead of a full remaster.
It shouldn't be too hard since the games are running on Sony's own Phyre Engine (which is the reason a Vita version was developed in the first place -- the games were originally developed for PS3).

Stahlritter :D
Their leader doesn't fit in her box (CS1/2 spoiler) [click]!

Fou-Lu

Star Door 15 was... Holy fuck.
Poor Renne. Trails really doesn't hold back with how far it will go into evil and darkness.

And now the 14th door:
That 4th wall break was delicious, it felt like something out of Mother or Baten Kaitos. I hope they actually do something with that later.

PK Gaming

A friend of mine just dropped a bombshell of a lore reveal. This is kind of a big deal, so be careful.

MAJOR SERIES SPOILERS ----->
Lloyd (Detective) meets up with Lloyd (Fisherman). They remark on the fact that they have the same name.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DOES FALCOM DO IT?!

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Fan patch to fix the translation
JP audio included in the game

I can totally see someone saying "fuck you nisa" and pirating the game with that set up.
Are fan-made retranslation patches for officially localized games a thing? I recall hearing about a more literal FF VI fan translation, but nothing recent comes to mind.
Why would you think pirates care about localization quality when buyers generally don't?
The implication that GOG and the Humble Store customers do not care about quality was unintended. I attempted to make a joke about the Engrish translation appearing to be so poor that the game would not be worth playing in such a state even if you could get it for free. Looks like it fell flat. I will try to think things through more before posting in the future.

PK Gaming

DCopOm5WAAAUiqN.jpg

God this game is ugly as fuck

GOD this game takes everything good about Trails in the Sky and ruins it to pander to the lowest common denominator. Why the fuck does this even exist? This is low rent smut you'd find on deviantart or a booru. Why'd Falcom okay this?

Young Magus

GOD this game takes everything good about Trails in the Sky and ruins it to pander to the lowest common denominator. Why the fuck does this even exist? This is low rent smut you'd find on deviantart or a booru. Why'd Falcom okay this?

You haven't even HEARD the worst things about Sky EVO

We don't know if Falcom knew ahead of time just how shameless Chara-ani's Evo promo art/marketing for the Sky trilogy has turned out. I bet they didn't sign off on spoiler-happy OP movies, poorly rearranged music, and mechanical changes leading to exploits and loopholes which didn't happen in battles from the original games. Also, the original writing's untouched and helped by a solid main voice cast, which is a big draw for playing the Evo versions alongside QoL additions. Hard for me to say that everything new and/or modified in Zero/Ao Evo at least is bottom-of-the-barrel pandering. And Falcom's happy to put out suggestive merchandise and DLC in their games now, not that easter eggs never happened, like Ys VI's Olha in her swimsuit or a certain Felghana boss dying with torn armor on-screen.

Rhapsody

Banned
Original versions are better, but I do still enjoy the Evo games. Battles being easier in Sky just sort of remind me of Persona 3 Portable and Golden. Just things that helped modernized the game yet not being concerned about how much this impacts the balance (just wanting people to have fun). I know people complained about double EXP gain for party advantage in Sky, but that didn't change my playthrough much. EXP scales heavily still, so all it did was leave me grinding less. Also the ability to fast forward in battles is great in Sky.

The portraits are definitely worse, especially when static. But seeing the animations on the eyes and mouth during dialogue is actually nice. I don't like the new OST as much as the old one, but I wouldn't say it's a ton worse. It's just a different style that just feels better as a rearrange album rather than a replacement. Having Silver Will with vocals is kinda odd.

My biggest complaint was the frame rate. It's definitely lower in Sky yet Zero/Ao Evo feels completely fine to me.

I'm playing the Zero no Kiseki Evo right now and the voices are adding so much for me. FC Evo is going to be on hold until I finish both Zero and Ao.

preta

Original versions are better, but I do still enjoy the Evo games. Battles being easier in Sky just sort of remind me of Persona 3 Portable and Golden. Just things that helped modernized the game yet not being concerned about how much this impacts the balance (just wanting people to have fun). I know people complained about double EXP gain for party advantage in Sky, but that didn't change my playthrough much. EXP scales heavily still, so all it did was leave me grinding less. Also the ability to fast forward in battles is great in Sky.

The portraits are definitely worse, especially when static. But seeing the animations on the eyes and mouth during dialogue is actually nice. I don't like the new OST as much as the old one, but I wouldn't say it's a ton worse. It's just a different style that just feels better as a rearrange album rather than a replacement. Having Silver Will with vocals is kinda odd.

My biggest complaint was the frame rate. It's definitely lower in Sky yet Zero/Ao Evo feels completely fine to me.

I'm playing the Zero no Kiseki Evo right now and the voices are adding so much for me. FC Evo is going to be on hold until I finish both Zero and Ao.

...what? Neither the FC nor SC Evo versions of Silver Will have vocals. And if you don't think it's significantly worse, I have to question how much of SC/3rd Evo you've heard. Zero/Ao/FC Evo are decent to good, but those... yeesh.

Falcom has a long tradition of handling out their games to any old developer for ports/remakes, no matter how dubious the end result ends up.

Rhapsody

Banned
...what? Neither the FC nor SC Evo versions of Silver Will have vocals. And if you don't think it's significantly worse, I have to question how much of SC/3rd Evo you've heard. Zero/Ao/FC Evo are decent to good, but those... yeesh.

The vocals is just what I heard from SC Evo OST, I don't know where it plays though. I guess I worded it wrong, but I like the originals way more. I just don't think Evo tracks are just straight up trash in general. But in comparison, they're a lot weaker is all I mean. I didn't even want to really listen to 3rd Evo because I love the original so much, so I never checked it out. I really don't think it's going to do that one justice at all.

I'll admit to not listening to a lot of SC Evo, just select tracks. I don't really like the direction they took with those songs, in general.

Baliis

The vocals is just what I heard from SC Evo OST, I don't know where it plays though. I guess I worded it wrong, but I like the originals way more. I just don't think Evo tracks are just straight up trash in general. But in comparison, they're a lot weaker is all I mean. I didn't even want to really listen to 3rd Evo because I love the original so much, so I never checked it out. I really don't think it's going to do that one justice at all.

I'll admit to not listening to a lot of SC Evo, just select tracks. I don't really like the direction they took with those songs, in general.

I assume its just the vocal version from the opening, but that's in the non-Evo versions too.

Gu4n

I enjoy the arrangements in the Evolution versions for what they are: arrangements, alternative takes on beloved tracks. Nothing something to get my panties in a knot over. For example, I vastly prefer the original because of the memories it invokes, but I enjoy the originality of SC Evo's take on the track Enforcers.

Rhapsody

Banned
I enjoy the arrangements in the Evolution versions for what they are: arrangements, alternative takes on beloved tracks. Nothing something to get my panties in a knot over. For example, I vastly prefer the original because of the memories it invokes, but I enjoy the originality of SC Evo's take on the track Enforcers.

Yeah, pretty much this. I might like the original a lot more, but it's nice checking out a different take on it . Do you know if the Evo OST was created by Falcom btw? Never got a clear answer on it since people are quick to dump it or assume Falcom can do no wrong.

On a different note, I should be finishing up chapter 3 of Zero no Kiseki tonight hopefully. Ranking it is hard, since I love this and 3rd for really different reasons. At the very least, I'm enjoying it as much as 3rd. Really love this cast.

preta

Yeah, pretty much this. I might like the original a lot more, but it's nice checking out a different take on it . Do you know if the Evo OST was created by Falcom btw? Never got a clear answer on it since people are quick to dump it or assume Falcom can do no wrong.

On a different note, I should be finishing up chapter 3 of Zero no Kiseki tonight hopefully. Ranking it is hard, since I love this and 3rd for really different reasons. At the very least, I'm enjoying it as much as 3rd. Really love this cast.

None of Falcom's internal sound team (the composers) were involved with any of the Evo soundtracks. Some of the arrangements (generally the better ones) were done by members Yukihiro Jindo, Noriyuki Kamikura and Toshiharu Okajima of the jdk Band, who are not technically employees of Falcom but have arranged many tracks for ingame use and arrangement albums over the years. However, Zero, SC and 3rd Evo also bring in 3rd party arrangers.

Jonnax

Watched a bit of gameplay of the intro of Evo FC. The change in style for Estelle isn't great but Joshua looks completely awful.

Jiraiza

I don't know, I finished EVO FC the other day and the characters weren't ruined in the least to me. Besides, that image is available only if you get the Chara-Ani special edition box anyway, so it's not like they're shoving it in your face when you play the game.

The only gratuitous thing in game was the hotspring scene.

Currently working through Evo SC; the Crossbell games seem so far.

Edit: Just saw those screens from Guan's tweets. I shouldn't be hyped for CS3 but I am.

PK Gaming

I don't know, I finished EVO FC the other day and the characters weren't ruined in the least to me. Besides, that image is available only if you get the Chara-Ani special edition box anyway, so it's not like they're shoving it in your face when you play the game.

The only gratuitous thing in game was the hotspring scene.

Currently working through Evo SC; the Crossbell games seem so far.

Edit: Just saw those screens from Guan's tweets. I shouldn't be hyped for CS3 but I am.

I don't see how the image being available as a pre-order changes anything, really. It's not in the game, but they were still willing to sell the girls out for basic pandering, and that's my biggest hang up. I'm not even opposed to smut if it's appropriate or fitting (like in Senran Kagura), but seeing the FC girls in tasteless outfits and sexualized poses is just...wrong. Doubly so because the Sky games have this wholesome aesthetic and are really good about avoiding pandering when it comes to female characters, so it's basically insult to injury. Like, "The only gratuitous thing in game was the hotspring scene" is nonsense because the Sky were completely devoid of it originally. I've played countless of RPGs that were amazing but "they had that one dumb fanservice sequence" that people groaned about, so when I played through FC, it was refreshing to see them avoid that even during the original hotspring sequence.

00314.jpg
trailsevo02_thumb.jpg

(The scenes have a completely different vibe in the remake)

And man, even disregarding that, the new designs are straight up ugly. It's charmless and processed. Look at Zin and tell me he's the same character. I don't even want to talk about Joshua.

Jiraiza

I don't see how the image being available as a pre-order changes anything, really. It's not in the game, but they were still willing to sell the girls out for basic pandering, and that's my biggest hang up. I'm not even opposed to smut if it's appropriate or fitting (like in Senran Kagura), but seeing the FC girls in tasteless outfits and sexualized poses is just...wrong. Doubly so because the Sky games have this wholesome aesthetic and are really good about avoiding pandering when it comes to female characters, so it's basically insult to injury. Like, "The only gratuitous thing in game was the hotspring scene" is nonsense because the Sky were completely devoid of it originally. I've played countless of RPGs that were amazing but "they had that one dumb fanservice sequence" that people groaned about, so when I played through FC, it was refreshing to see them avoid that even during the original hotspring sequence.

And man, even disregarding that, the new designs are straight up ugly. It's charmless and processed. Look at Zin and tell me he's the same character. I don't even want to talk about Joshua.

I don't know, I really don't find it a big deal since it doesn't affect the game or the characters in any way. I don't mind the new designs either, but they're definitely generic compared to the older art that has more personality. No one's forcing you to play the Evo games, though.

But if you want to talk about pandering ruining things, I would think the Cold Steel games are the biggest offenders here. Well, ruining might be too harsh, but it certainly dropped my opinion of the two games a lot, that's for sure. Hopefully Cold Steel 3 changes that.

PK Gaming

I don't know, I really don't find it a big deal since it doesn't affect the game or the characters in any way. I don't mind the new designs either, but they're definitely generic compared to the older art that has more personality. No one's forcing you to play the Evo games, though.

It's more disappointing than anything. Playing Evo was never in the cards for me, so you can drop the "nobody's forcing you to play this game" defense. I don't like it how it looks, I don't like how it plays, and I don't like how Falcom okay'd this. I always have the original to fall back on, so the characters are technically "unaffected", but its existence will always irk me.

But if you want to talk about pandering ruining things, I would think the Cold Steel games are the biggest offenders here. Well, ruining might be too harsh, but it certainly dropped my opinion of the two games a lot, that's for sure. Hopefully Cold Steel 3 changes that.

Definitely not. Being apathetic towards Evo is one thing, but calling CS the "bigger offender" seems like a huge double standard to me.

Aters

From the latest magazine scan it seems class vii is controllable. So many characters, so easy to screw up the script.

Acid08

Banned

Time until one of you chuckleheads disingenuously brings up CS: 1 post. So predictable.

Doesn't 3rd have an assload itself?

That was Old Good Falcom not Current Disgusting Falcom lmao

Top Bottom