• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
By and large, the characters that are sexualised design-wise are also the ones who personality-wise, aren't the type to show a lot of qualms or annoyances over the subject matter, whereas the characters who's character personalities are ones known to be modest or stickler over stuff like that don't. (Alisa or Emma, for example)
Wut. Her CS3 outfit is literally just "beeeeeewbs"

Doesn't Tita *trails sc spoilers*
wanna have sex with Agate despite the age gap? I'm not sure I'd call her an innocent little girl even if others treat her that way.

zakujanai

wanna have sex with Agate despite the age gap? I'm not sure I'd call her an innocent little girl even if others treat her that way.

Not in the game I played?? Unless I missed some stuff because she wasn't in my party very often. I only ever saw it as famial relationship. Him for
Mischa
and her for her terrible absentee parents. If I was massively misinterpreting the situation I'd honestly rather not know.

I can understand Fie not being bothered about how she looks, which is why I'd expect her to dress comfortably and in clothing that suited her fighting style. Shorts that barely cover her mons pubis and a scarf wrapped about her chest doesn't seem too practical.

Estelle's orbment sent up makes more sense in Sky SC imo since it lets her flex between being more melee focused or mage focused depending upon who you have in the party at any particular time. It does limit her that she'd never be in your final party if she wasn't forced since she is just an all rounder and would be out damage by a better dedicated melee or mage.

Well it makes more sense in SC because of
The 7th slot, turning her two 3 slot lines both into 4 slot ones.
but everyone benefits from that.

My interpretation of Tita is that of [SC spoiler]
puppy love
but I wouldn't consider that to be unrealistic. She's at that age where it's easy to confuse those kind of feelings.

Wut. Her CS3 outfit is literally just "beeeeeewbs"

I was referring to the CS2 clothing choice of the characters.

For CS3 I won't deny Alisa's new clothing of choice is a bit more of the sexier side than what I would expect from her but I wouldn't go that far. Ultimately these games still fall under rule of anime aesthetics and clothing practicality.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Tita something
All 12 year old crushes have sex as the endgame. Love in general has sex as endgame, source dem Bioware games
Is this the new meme?

I'm just saying.
Zane doesn't really have much to say most of the time, and he lacks that personal connection/chemistry with Estelle that feels very vital to me. His sub-plot with Walter was great, but ultimately doesn't shed too much about himself that we didn't already know. If anything, it just reaffirms his outlook on things in the end./spoiler]
I don't really agree on this. I think Zane and Estelle actually had a really nice relationship in SC. I really loved some of their scenes together when he was giving her advice about which way to go forward, talking about finding clarity of purpose, etc. I thought Zane made a pretty great mentor figure towards Estelle. There was also his really interesting relationship with Olivier that developed a lot over the course of the game.

I officially question
sky05.png

Her knowledge in anatomy.

Those don't grow back

Oh btw on top of being awesome ," my little silver streak can't be this awesome" adventures is doing great.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why would anyone ever use Kloe when you have Olivier. He's better than her at anything, including
being royalty.
Kloe is like a discounted Olivier.

Female equipment gives much better ATS bonuses making Kloe a more powerful caster. Agree Olivier is a much better character but gameplay-wise Kloe is better. Olivier has a slightly better orbment but that means less the further you get into the game.

Thoraxes

.......... Uh, what lol

I'm pretty sure you're projecting there.
Just because you love someone doesn't mean you wanna have sex with them. You can love your family, or someone who you treat like family without wanting to sex them up.

aravuus

...I dont like Olivier...

...Kloe is amazing...

What a weirdo

.......... Uh, what lol

I'm pretty sure you're projecting there.
Just because you love someone doesn't mean you wanna have sex with them. You can love your family, or someone who you treat like family without wanting to sex them up.

Chill with the armchair psychologist stuff. They did have some pretty fucking weird scenes together iirc.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Agate
and
Tita
is small time compared to
Rean
and
Elise

Tita's crush on Agate is very easy to read as typical little girl stuff.

I don't think older Tita would be sexualized. She's not that type of character. Fie was (ugh, thank you DLC costumes) but she's got that cold hard mercenary thing going on. One of the reasons I'd want to see her older and in Erebonia is that she could bring some additional insight into the Reinford factories and the like.

I mean, Tita clearly has a schoolgirl crush on Agate, but that's all it really is in that game. Agate sees her as a little sister, and Tita crushes on him a bit.

Nyoro SF

Earth Wall is so busted.

What were they thinking?

There's a reason they stripped that move in Zero lol.

You don't recall correctly. If you read into anything as being sexual between the two of them that is entirely on your part.

Agreed, there's nothing in the dialogue that remotely suggests such a thing.
Tita's just happy that she has someone she can call a big brother and Agate can't resist being a softie towards such an enthusiastic little trooper and machinist. It's heartwarming and fuzzy and cute and Agate's backstory makes it all too clear why he feels so much concern for her.

This ain't your suggestive seedy junk with Bioware endgame lol. Sorry Bassforever, I have no idea where you got that extreme idea from.

SephLuis

Agate/Tira are, currently, on a more little sister/older brother relationship. I would definitely not jump to any conclusions further than that (and I already played the 3rd).

I really would love to see them both back in Sen III because it would have been a few years after the Sky trilogy.

Tita's just happy that she has someone she can call a big brother and Agate can't resist being a softie towards such an enthusiastic little trooper and machinist. It's heartwarming and fuzzy and cute and Agate's backstory makes it all too clear why he feels so much concern for her.

This ain't your suggestive seedy junk with Bioware endgame lol. Sorry Bassforever, I have no idea where you got that extreme idea from.

Yeah I don't really think there's anything explicitly or implicitly sexual in these games. (At least the ones we've gotten.
I'm aware of The 3rd
) Outside of Olivier gags.

Even characters that are clearly romantically interested in each other don't really demonstrate the intent to do anything beyond kissing.

So these sort of readings always seem incredibly strange to me. It's simply not an element present in these games.

SephLuis

Yeah I don't really think there's anything explicitly or implicitly sexual in these games. (At least the ones we've gotten.
I'm aware of The 3rd)
Outside of Olivier gags.

Even characters that are clearly romantically interested in each other don't really do anything beyond kissing.

So these sort of readings always seem incredibly strange to me.

I think that those readings come because their relationship was uncertain for quite a good while.

Psxphile

Still got people asking about getting a handheld version. And here I'm thinking, "if people gave this much of a fuck before we'd have an extra four years of good kiseki times" 'cause I'm feeling angst-y.

bruh

I officially question

Her knowledge in anatomy.

Those don't grow back
that's_the_joke.webm

Earth Wall is so busted.

What were they thinking?
They were thinking they'll tease you with a god-tier defense spell then make it a pain to utilize in the sequel!

Still got people asking about getting a handheld version. And here I'm thinking, "if people gave this much of a fuck before we'd have an extra four years of good kiseki times" 'cause I'm feeling angst-y.

There's always a few people like that when platforms change. Kinda interesting how it's happening on two fronts atm with this series with The 3rd and Sen III both dropping the handheld versions.

In the end they'll just have to adapt or move on. At least in this case they don't have to buy a new platform like with Sen III as they probably own a PC.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Yeah, seriously. Guess some Kiseki fans are really warped in the head... >_<

No, I'm pretty sure I recall correctly, I'm not the one who said Tita's all dick-thirsty. Just that there were weird scenes between them.
Huh? What "weird scenes"?

The 3rd is 100% translated, and editing is at 13.23%

Seems like things are pretty well on track right now.
Oh, nice!

I'm preeeetty sure that's just
puppy love.
(Tita spoilers)

Yeah, how could anyone confuse this for anything worse. Read the conversations people!
Agate's story before the dragon fight even clues her in on what's really the situation.

I use Kloe because I dont like Olivier, and Kloe is amazing.

She also nukes the best

oGjzCOw.png

Please folks, please! Some things we don't say! :p

I'm preeeetty sure that's just
puppy love.
(Tita spoilers)

The 3rd is 100% translated, and editing is at 13.23%

Seems like things are pretty well on track right now.

Yayifications!

Aeana

Yeah, things turned around pretty quickly. At this point, it's clear that some way or another, English speakers will get to access the entire back catalog eventually. I just hope that the future remains as bright for new releases.

Back in 2013, things looked really dark. But now we're looking at a scenario where we could have everything except Ao playable in English by next summer. That's some turnaround.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Back in 2013, things looked really dark. But now we're looking at a scenario where we could have everything except Ao playable in English by next summer. That's some turnaround.
Sen no Kiseki being announced as Cold Steel was one of the most mindblowing announcements in gaming for me. Right up there with The Last Guardian still existing. Now both are sitting in the room I'm in right now... what a crazy world we live in.

Sen no Kiseki being announced as Cold Steel was one of the most mindblowing announcements in gaming for me. Right up there with The Last Guardian still existing. Now both are sitting in the room I'm in right now... what a crazy world we live in.

I still remember when we got that domain name leak. It was mindblowing to go from "We're finally getting SC, I hope, Summer 2014 keeps getting delayed" to "Oh, and another one is coming out, too!"

Plenty of upsides but I'm still pretty bummed that Sky FC's Steam sales number was a flash in the pan and weren't successfully held onto with SC.

Plenty of upsides but I'm still pretty bummed that Sky FC's Steam sales number was a flash in the pan and weren't successfully held onto with SC.

I think that's modtly because SC is a direct sequel to FC. Unfortunately, not a lot of people finished FC and so there's no incentive for them to buy the second game :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Next summer feels optimistic for Zero. We know for sure it will be after 3rd, probably with a buffer between to avoid stepping on XSEED's toes. And given the translation they are dealing with it probably won't be quick or easy to edit it up to standards. Sooner the better of course, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it slipped to 2018 just due to the amount of work needed. Ao might even be a little easier if only because they are working with the translators and getting things right from step one, instead of going back and fixing someone else's mess.

And aren't SC's sales roughly keeping up with FC's completion rate? That's about the best you could ask for. Curious what 3rd will do, another big drop off seems unlikely though.

SephLuis

Next summer feels optimistic for Zero. We know for sure it will be after 3rd, probably with a buffer between to avoid stepping on XSEED's toes. And given the translation they are dealing with it probably won't be quick or easy to edit it up to standards. Sooner the better of course, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it slipped to 2018 just due to the amount of work needed. Ao might even be a little easier if only because they are working with the translators and getting things right from step one, instead of going back and fixing someone else's mess.

And aren't SC's sales roughly keeping up with FC's completion rate? That's about the best you could ask for. Curious what 3rd will do, another big drop off seems unlikely though.

Are you feeling optimistic about Zero coming officially or about the fan patch ?

I, at least, want to believe that XSEED will make Zero/Ao after the 3rd.

Are you feeling optimistic about Zero coming officially or about the fan patch ?

Fan patch now that guan and co are working on it. No way zero comes out in the west officially before 2018 at the earliest unless Xseed buys/licenses the finished Guan and co translation.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not very optimistic about XSEED picking them up. It's possible, but it would be a pretty big commitment and we just haven't seen enough to justify it yet. That's localizing two games a bit bigger than Trails FC, and likely contracting a new PC port for Ao and potentially Zero too (licensing the Japanese PC port may not be as automatic as most assume - we don't know Falcom's contract with Joyoland). Just hard to greenlight all that for maybe 70K total sales. If they can work out a deal to contract and further edit the fan translations that would help, but it still seems unlikely.

For what it's worth, I am pretty sure they had already planned 3rd even before SC released. Don't think that's confirmation that SC's sales are "good enough."

I had no confidence whatsoever in the fan translation before, but with Gu4n, Floofy, and Yotaka heading I'm at least confident enough to import and play it. Doubt it will approach the quality we would get from an official release but at least we can expect terminology and lore to be consistent with the official releases, and for the game to have a less literal translation than it was going to get under Zeromonkey.

Slashlen

I still hold out hope that XSEED somehow makes it happen, but more realistically we may just need to hope that the next time Falcom ports these games to a new platform that they do so in a way that more easily allows a localization deal. It could happen. They seem to like to keep the older games available and the Vita won't be viable forever, even in Japan. I believe XSEED's willing to put in the translation work, it's all the rights and porting work that's holding it back. It wouldn't be anytime before CS3, so a fan translation would be really handy.

SephLuis

I'm not very optimistic about XSEED picking them up. It's possible, but it would be a pretty big commitment and we just haven't seen enough to justify it yet. That's localizing two games a bit bigger than Trails FC, and likely contracting a new PC port for Ao and potentially Zero too (licensing the Japanese PC port may not be as automatic as most assume - we don't know Falcom's contract with Joyoland). Just hard to greenlight all that for maybe 70K total sales. If they can work out a deal to contract and further edit the fan translations that would help, but it still seems unlikely.

For what it's worth, I am pretty sure they had already planned 3rd even before SC released. Don't think that's confirmation that SC's sales are "good enough."

I had no confidence whatsoever in the fan translation before, but with Gu4n, Floofy, and Yotaka heading I'm at least confident enough to import and play it. Doubt it will approach the quality we would get from an official release but at least we can expect terminology and lore to be consistent with the official releases, and for the game to have a less literal translation than it was going to get under Zeromonkey.

I might be mistaken on this since it's been a while since I read XSEED localization blogs, but didn't Sarah (their programmer) used the PSP version as base for TitS SC ?

I also don't know which version they are currently using for the 3rd, if it's the PSP version or the original PC version.

If in SC/3rd they are using PSP to PC conversion, they certainly have some of the know how onto making PC ports of PSP games. Certainly appears a lot of bugs and I imagine the work they do isn't easy, but they would have shown that it isn't impossible or not viable.

The true question, as you said, is if there is a big enough market to justify such investment. Zero/Ao are my favorite games in the series, but I have no idea how much TitS or CS sold to justify the investment from XSEED.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I might be mistaken on this since it's been a while since I read XSEED localization blogs, but didn't Sarah (their programmer) used the PSP version as base for TitS SC ?

I also don't know which version they are currently using for the 3rd, if it's the PSP version or the original PC version.

If in SC/3rd they are using PSP to PC conversion, they certainly have some of the know how onto making PC ports of PSP games. Certainly appears a lot of bugs and I imagine the work they do isn't easy, but they would have shown that it isn't impossible or not viable.

The true question, as you said, is if there is a big enough market to justify such investment. Zero/Ao are my favorite games in the series, but I have no idea how much TitS or CS sold to justify the investment from XSEED.

The only game XSEED has managed a port for is Little King's Story, they contracted a Japanese studio for that. All their Falcom releases are the original PC versions, but modernized and have the PSP enhancements added in where available. The remaining non-Falcom games were all done by Marvelous.

I found an old rant I wrote on Google Docs that I drafted like earlier this year or something, in response to something I heard on 8-4 or something that triggered me about Falcom of recent years having become "more anime" or suffered in terms of quality of writing compared to their earlier years. Having completed SC, CSII and reflected on Zero in quick succession this past year, and being able to sit down on it more, I'm more convinced of it than ever so I might as well just air out my laundry rant. Updated with some CSII stuff.

I, broadly disagree with the notion that Falcom has ‘deteriorated’ in terms of overall storytelling.

If you ask me how I feel about the quality of the world-building between all 3 Trails arcs, I would put all of them as equal, with Crossbell edging it out a little due to the deeper focus on the setting being a single city-state instead of a larger nation.

If you ask me how I feel about the overall quality of all the characters & character writing between all 3 Trails arcs, I would put all of them… as equal as well. Yes, if you dive down the the difference of quality of the protagonist and individual characters, I would put Estelle/Lloyd above Rean, but if you were to ask me to compare the slate of all the primary characters, side-characters, etc side-by-side, each game has their ups and downs, but in general they’re very competitive with one another.

If you ask me how I feel about the overall quality of the story arcs, plot beats and the pacing of the story’s moment-to-moment, I would agree that Cold Steel has its flaws more apparent, and is perhaps not as strong as parts of Sky/Zero. However, when I look at the sum of its parts, it’s not as if Zero/Sky didn’t have its low points, or Cold Steel didn’t have its high points. And I feel that the variance between the story arcs, high or low, don’t exceed 20%.

And the thing that I feel most of us subconsciously perceive when it comes to assessment of stories, is the inherent bias of the material type. A story set around a “school setting” that borrows heavily from the Japanese storytelling cliches and tropes of its era is going to be seen with a far, far more skeptic light than a story set around a “law enforcement setting” that borrows itself from less tapped storytelling cliches of detective, police, mob and yakuza stories. It’s still inherently very Japanese and you won’t find any Godfathers or Infernal Affairs here, but people are more likely to praise a mediocre story from that setting than say a mediocre school setting story, that is seen with a lot more distaste.

And that, is my view on the whole component of Trails.

I strongly feel that Falcom as a whole, is a writing team that strives to deliver what they feel are strong stories within the confines of what they choose to pursue for respective arcs. But at the same time, they’re not writers that are always able to overcome their self-imposed story limitations.

If Erebonia arc was about Olivier, then I strongly believe whatever story was written about that part of the story would appeal a whole lot more to the broader fans. But that is not the story of Erebonia. The story of Erebonia is about Class VII and the disparage rag-tag group of schoolmates that come together in a time of civil strife, and are ultimately not ready to be part of the “level” that Olivier and Osborne are fighting at.

And because that is the story they put themselves that limitation of, they self-impose the rationale of having to tell the story of “students” and justify their position and involvement in the grand scheme of a civil war. The nature of students and a classroom meant that there needed to be a bare minimum of more than 6 characters in your core party else it made for a poor excuse of a “class.” Exploring the school setting also meant a large part of the story and moment-to-moment had to involve a supporting cast that felt appropriate to a school setting, as well as pivoting developments relative to elements that empowered students to be a key factor in a civil war more often than not. Thus we have things like “pssst West Erebonia is level 150-200+ whereas East Erebonia caps off at Level 120” to justify the disonnance of scale that wants to make it look like the characters of the core story are both in over their heads but still able to contribute to the story in some relevant form.

Is it perfect? Hell no. If anything, they tumble more so than not in their progress there. But to me, it’s the same notion as with Trail in the Sky’s chapter with Jenis Academy. Had Jenis Academy arc been a whole game, I highly suspect the overall quality of storytelling would be the same as Cold Steel’s. The difference is that they didn’t make a whole game out of that setting, but just one piece of the pie.

Zero was excellent because it chose two key priorities in its overall storytelling, which is laser-focus on just 4 characters as the primer for the main plot, and that its storytelling revolves around law enforcement and detective work, which ties the storyline with richer elements like mobsters and militia. Few of the story arcs employed in Zero were stories that could easily be “transplanted” over to Sky or Cold Steel, because they were written with the foundation in mind.

Top Bottom