• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

BumRush

Am I awful for absolutely loving all of the characters
(besides the guard at the hospital tasked with walking Joel out, why was he such a douche?)
and the first 99% of the game but HATING the ending?

(besides the guard at the hospital tasked with walking Joel out, why was he such a douche?)

I think it set up that scenario to let you know how the fireflies frame of mind was. The world was messed up, even the people trying to find a cure.
That's why I had no problem controlling Joel's actions that last part at the hospital.

lantus

Mmm that depends on how you interpreted it. Which I believe is one of its main goals, leave a lot up to interpretation.

psychotron

I just beat the hydroelectric dam section on grounded. I used more ammo at that point than I have the entire game up to this point (which was basically only for the bloater and maybe one or two other shots).

I had basically no ammo at that point. I ran to the left side immediately when the encounter began, flew up the stairs avoiding the people shooting at me, hopped through the window, grabbed the axe, ran to the other side and waited for the door to open. Then I just chopped everyone to pieces as quickly as possible and flew through the door. It glitched on me the first time, because everyone was dead but the door wouldn't open, but eventually got it.

Starting my first playthrough on Grounded Mode. Heard some say it was incredible, heard some say it was a chore.

I wonder into which category I'll fall...

I played this game so many times on Survivor mode, I can't imagine it being THAT difficult

Whenever you pick up an upgraded melee weapon from the ground you will get 1 full blade and 1 full binding crafting material.

So if you have an upgraded melee weapon on you and come across a melee weapon on the ground, swap them and swap back to the upgraded melee weapon and craft a shiv. Rinse repeat.

This only on grounded difficulty?

that's what I was thinking...

so no one else had this happen?!

The game gives you a worn shiv with only 1 "durability bar" remaining when you start the dam chapter (when
Ellie and Joel are walking in the woods to go meet Tommy
).

That shiv won't be able to open the shiv door featured in this section (or any shiv door), near the area
where you grab the board underwater to transport Ellie
. You must have a full durability shiv from the previous section
in the Suburbs with Sam and Henry.

This was the only door I missed on my Survivor playthrough, used chapter select to go back on easy and get enough supplies.

Of course if this isn't the section you are talking about, then who knows...

The game gives you a worn shiv with only 1 "durability bar" remaining when you start the dam chapter (when
Ellie and Joel are walking in the woods to go meet Tommy
).

That shiv won't be able to open the shiv door featured in this section (or any shiv door), near the area
where you grab the board underwater to transport Ellie
. You must have a full durability shiv from the previous section
in the Suburbs with Sam and Henry.

This was the only door I missed on my Survivor playthrough, used chapter select to go back on easy and get enough supplies.

Of course if this isn't the section you are talking about, then who knows...

That's it...thanks. I was so pissed when I didn't have enough to make a shiv but I had one in inventory. Thanks for explaining!

FaintDeftone

It does seem to me that the remaster is a bit glitchier than the PS3 version. I was playing last night and I was in the subway section with Ellie and Tess and I could not progress out of that area because the game wouldn't trigger Tess pulling the ladder down for me. I also seem to get stuck on random shit more often and trigger events failing to occur that make me stuck.

It isn't horrible by any means and luckily the save system is generous enough that I can reload and not replay through long stretches, but it feels weird that I never had these issues in the 1.0 version of the PS3 version...

Joel basically damned mankind to save Ellie, when Ellie seemed like her life's goal was to help mankind. She seemed depressed and the look in her eyes screamed "Joel, please do not lie to me"

Even so,
she totally understood why he did what he did. Which is why she simply said, "OK."

Cyborg

Do you guys have some grey(ish) image in the first levels? I notice it when its realy dark.....seems like kind of fog

Are you implying she knows the truth? What makes you think this? I'm genuinely curious as I'm on the fence about whether she knows or not.

I don't think she knows the truth at all...she just trusts Joel's response because why would he lie straight to her face?

I'm assuming she knows the truth, also. She just wanted to hear him say it. I think she understands what he's been through and he has finally let her into his life. Hence, the whole mood change at the end from Joel. He seems happy and contempt talking about his daughter and her
...this is what makes the game such a great experience.

I don't think she knows the truth at all...she just trusts Joel's response because why would he lie straight to her face?

I'm assuming she knows the truth, also. She just wanted to hear him say it. I think she understands what he's been through and he has finally let her into his life. Hence, the whole mood change at the end from Joel. He seems happy and contempt talking about his daughter and her
...this is what makes the game such a great experience.

Neil Druckmann's interpretation of the ending is that
Ellie knew Joel was lying which meant that she had to move on with her life, in some way. She realized that she couldn't depend on Joel anymore. Her character arc was about developing independence and self-sufficiency which also came with a type of "parental disillusionment" that all children go through as they become adults.

Of course even he called it an "interpretation." Everyone can decide for themselves what they believe/prefer.

Keynote speech, talks about the ending starting here:
http://youtu.be/Le6qIz7MjSk?t=31m33s

Rey

So, after my initial impression that I really wasn't liking the game, it started to click with me and I'm really enjoying it. Up until Bill's town(about 7hrs in) I found the game really boring because of the stealthy gameplay and the Clicker one-hit deaths were driving me nuts.

From Pittsburgh on I began to "get" the game and I'm enjoying it more and more. Not sure what changed. Maybe because of the more options I have now to approach enemy's in different way's because of my bigger inventory or because I understand the mechanics a bit better. I do enjoy the encounters with the humans a lot more them with the infected.

So, I'm glad I sticked with the game and I can't wait to see how the story progresses. I'm at Tommy's Dam now.

oh yeah.. the Clicker's still freak me the fuck out.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Joel basically damned mankind to save Ellie, when Ellie seemed like her life's goal was to help mankind. She seemed depressed and the look in her eyes screamed "Joel, please do not lie to me"
Heartbreaking, right? But that's exactly what makes the ending so powerful for me. I find it interesting how they managed to create a tragic outcome that didn't rely on "killing off" either protagonist for easy pathos. Wasn't really expecting that the most important thing at stake wasn't necessarily their lives, or the cure, but actually the bond that these two had built throughout their journey. A bond that was both saved and put at risk because of Joel's drastic actions and subsequent lie.

I was completely gutted and conflicted about how it all went down, nothing turned out how the characters had hoped. But I definitely feel like it was the appropriate conclusion for this type of bittersweet story.
She knows, or else she wouldn't be directly confronting him about the lie in the first place. There are major holes in Joel's story, and the game has shown Ellie is incredibly perceptive, especially for her age. Even though she doesn't know the full extent of what he's trying to cover up, I think it's clear she just wants him to admit it out loud to her face. I interpreted the final conversation as Ellie giving Joel one last chance to come clean, before moving on with their lives. After all, what's a relationship without trust?

123rl

I really need to play this again. I absolutely LOVED playing it and reading all the debate about the possible meaning behind the ending is too hard to resist.

I'm on the side that
Ellie didn't know Joel lied to her, but she suspected it. She asked him for clarification. She realised it eventually but was more happy that Joel had chosen to save her and protect her from that burden. That's why she just accepts his answer and doesn't push him further

Zimmy68

Anyone else come across having a shiv and the door says "need full shiv". Had this happen on Grounded mode. Shiv's are like gold! I made a new shiv and it let me open it. It never counted my one shiv I had in inventory.

I noticed on my NG+, I had 2 1/3 shivs.
After opening the door, I was left with 1 1/3.

Apparently those doors take full shivs.

televator

Even so,
she totally understood why he did what he did. Which is why she simply said, "OK."

Actually no.
That really wasn't an "okay" that accepts Joel's path. It was an "okay" that acknowleges Ellie's growth as an indiviual in contrast to Joel's.

If you don't believe me, watch Druckmann's keynote at the IGDA.

ascii42

Are you implying she knows the truth? What makes you think this? I'm genuinely curious as I'm on the fence about whether she knows or not.

The expression on her face convinced me she knew. Druckmann has said that he intended that she knew, and Ashley Johnson acted the scene out as such.

Hubb

Actually no.
That really wasn't an "okay" that accepts Joel's path. It was an "okay" that acknowleges Ellie's growth as an indiviual in contrast to Joel's.

If you don't believe me, watch Druckmann's keynote at the IGDA.

You can have your own interpretation of the events, even Druckmann's doesn't matter until we get an actual cannon sequel in some medium. And you can understand something without accepting it.

Is the checkpoint management different in grounded mode ?

I had cleared the whole subway station with Tess and Ellie, and got an MP invite just as I was about to climb the ladder. So I save the game, and a couple hours later when I go back to solo mode they throw me right a the beginning of said section. I hate that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is the checkpoint management different in grounded mode ?

I had cleared the whole subway station with Tess and Ellie, and got an MP invite just as I was about to climb the ladder. So I save the game, and a couple hours later when I go back to solo mode they throw me right a the beginning of said section. I hate that.
Yeah, Grounded has substantially fewer checkpoints.

Nhutty

Do you guys have some grey(ish) image in the first levels? I notice it when its realy dark.....seems like kind of fog

For me it only happens when there are spores in the air. I'm guessing the spores create a dense fog that you can't see through. Just use the torch, the infected can't see torches anyway

But humanity is lost when you would willingly sacrifice an innocent young girl in order to save the rest of mankind, in that case mankind is not worth saving. The fireflies became just like the hunters and the cannibals, killing others to save themselves.

Could you guys please help me out?

I just
cleared the bookstore in the Alone and Forsaken chapter and gathered all the bindings, blades and parts I could find. I'm trying to get all the Shiv doors and the next one after the bookstore is pretty close, but this is my blade situation: http://i.imgur.com/s5VXGyY.jpg and I'm worried I might not be able to make another Shiv before I get to the door. Is there anything I could have missed in the bookstore or will I encounter enough blades before the next Shiv door to open it? Really concerned. This is on Grounded, BTW.

Hubb

Could you guys please help me out?

I just
cleared the bookstore in the Alone and Forsaken chapter and gathered all the bindings, blades and parts I could find. I'm trying to get all the Shiv doors and the next one after the bookstore is pretty close, but this is my blade situation: http://i.imgur.com/s5VXGyY.jpg and I'm worried I might not be able to make another Shiv before I get to the door. Is there anything I could have missed in the bookstore or will I encounter enough blades before the next Shiv door to open it? Really concerned. This is on Grounded, BTW.

Honestly you are probably S.O.L, but I wouldn't worry about getting all shiv doors on your Grounded run. Just use chapter select after you finish to get the ones you miss.

Honestly you are probably S.O.L, but I wouldn't worry about getting all shiv doors on your Grounded run. Just use chapter select after you finish to get the ones you miss.
That'll still get me the trophy right? I don't need to get all the doors in a single playthrough?

Thanks for the help.

Shin-Ra

THIS IS SPARTA!

itbT3fCppOgvm.gif

I enjoyed this far too much.

Also, every time I picked up supplements on my Grounded+ run, I heard Sarah's voice saying "hardcore druwgs"

RedAssedApe

Banned

The extra epilogue scene they acted out in the The Last of Us: One Night Live is more evidence that
Ellie knows. Their interaction is clearly strained after they return to Tommy's. By that point Joel has most likely also figured out that Ellie knows as he's basically tip-toeing around her.

Some people might not take that as canon though. On that note I just finished the
University of Eastern Colorado section. The part when Ellie tells Joel that he's going to have to sing for her if she gets him out of this
and then seeing the extra epilogue live...Feelssssss

Hubb

The extra epilogue scene they acted out in the The Last of Us: One Night Live is more evidence that
Ellie knows. Their interaction is clearly strained after they return to Tommy's. By that point Joel has most likely also figured out that Ellie knows as he's basically tip-toeing around her.

Some people might not take that as canon though. On that note I just finished the
University of Eastern Colorado section. The part when Ellie tells Joel that he's going to have to sing for her if she gets him out of this
and then seeing the extra epilogue live...Feelssssss

How did you see that part of the epilogue? I thought that was not recorded.

Oh my god, help!!

I just beat this on grounded +, but I STILL havent fully upgraded all weapons...

Do I need to start ...AGAIN?? Even worse, it's the El Diablo and shorty that isn't upgraded :(

Can I somehow play a chapter and keep the upgrades? Or do I have to do it all again?

RedAssedApe

Banned
How did you see that part of the epilogue? I thought that was not recorded.

Sorry...my post was probably confusing. I saw it live. It had been about a year since I had played TLOU. I didn't realize what was happening was a throwback until people started discussing. I recently replayed it on PS4. Yeah I know...and I call myself a fan...for shame!

Gray Matter

Oh my god, help!!

I just beat this on grounded +, but I STILL havent fully upgraded all weapons...

Do I need to start ...AGAIN?? Even worse, it's the El Diablo and shorty that isn't upgraded :(

Can I somehow play a chapter and keep the upgrades? Or do I have to do it all again?

You might have to, luckily those 2 weapons aren't THAT deep into the game.

Cant I just load a chapter on easy and get more parts, so that I can save time? Or can I not save a chapter select?

Upgrading all weapons in two play throughs, when one play through is a very hard difficulty, is almost impossible. Mainly because you get so many parts from Shiv doors. And its difficult to craft full shivs for every shiv door encounter.

I had to play 2.5 playthroughs on both PS3 and PS4 to get that trophy both times. sometimes you can get lucky and find a save, load it and play on easy to get the final upgrades. If you're unlucky you might have to play a significant chunk of the game again.

Upgrading all weapons in two play throughs, when one play through is a very hard difficulty, is almost impossible. Mainly because you get so many parts from Shiv doors. And its difficult to craft full shivs for every shiv door encounter.

Damn, I was going to do Grounded+ after my Survivor NG and was hoping to finish all the upgrades. Perhaps if I resort to the shiv making glitch I could still manage. Only missed the shiv door at the dam on my first run w/o the glitch.

Manu

I know the upgrades carry to NG+, but do the collectibles carry too? I only missed one shiv door and some firefly pendants.

Top Bottom