• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

someday

Banned
The game seems to be somewhat "smart", the more ammo you use the more likely it is to drop. If you hoard your ammo it is less likely to drop. I'm not saying they'll start dropping left and right, but they seem to drop the less you have. I don't believe melee kills matters in them dropping or not.
Thanks for this. I guess the lack of drops is just because it's on survivor. Should be interesting.

skybald

Took some peoples' advice and started playing through on Hard with listen mode off. Since I don't have surround sound, it is hard to pin point locations of enemies and they often can easily come up behind me. Looks like I need to get some good headphones or something. ;)

Since I beat the game on Normal a while back, I didn't want to play a very hard difficulty, but Hard isn't much of a challenge yet.
Just got to Tommy's dam and it is one of the few times I did not find more ammo than I used after the dam raid.

Will try Grounded+ after this because Hard allows me to be a little too sloppy and I want to pop some trophies.

Cubed

i say 40%. what's left is a much longer ride than what you've played until that part.

This.

Those saying roughly 50% must not remember this game properly.

He still has a certain pair to meet and then 3 seasons after that. I'd say closer to 30% (about a third of the way through the game).

Superflat

This.

Those saying roughly 50% must not remember this game properly.

He still has a certain pair to meet and then 3 seasons after that. I'd say closer to 30% (about a third of the way through the game).

It's all relative of course, but I found
everything starting from Fall to be pretty fast paced.

Seeing how slow the start of the game is with forced walking and tutorializing through Prologue, Boston QZ, and Bill's Town and the high school there's a lot of time spent at the first third of the game. The pace becomes much more in the control of the player by the time you reach PIttsburgh. Not to mention Pittsburgh is ridiculously long (pretty sure it's close to 1/3 of the game by itself), making Fall Winter and Spring seem way shorter by comparison.

LuuKyK

So kinda dumb question but it doesnt hurt to ask. Better safe than sorry.

If I activate ps plus/add credit to my account on the ps3 and I use the same account on my Ps4, both the plus and the credits will be usable on my ps4 too right?

eLGee

So kinda dumb question but it doesnt hurt to ask. Better safe than sorry.

If I activate ps plus/add credit to my account on the ps3 and I use the same account on my Ps4, both the plus and the credits will be usable on my ps4 too right?

Yes.

Hubb

It's all relative of course, but I found
everything starting from Fall to be pretty fast paced.

Seeing how slow the start of the game is with forced walking and tutorializing through Prologue, Boston QZ, and Bill's Town and the high school there's a lot of time spent at the first third of the game. The pace becomes much more in the control of the player by the time you reach PIttsburgh. Not to mention Pittsburgh is ridiculously long (pretty sure it's close to 1/3 of the game by itself), making Fall Winter and Spring seem way shorter by comparison.

The game tells you after
Pittsburgh you are 54% done with the game.
I agree with you, the game really picks up the pace after that section.

So, I beat the game on Grounded but I'm playing again on Grounded + and I have a question:

if I want to get the trophy for all the shiv doors, pendants, optional convos, and comics, do I have to collect/open them all again? Or can I skip the ones I already did on my first playthrough?

Gray Matter

So, I beat the game on Grounded but I'm playing again on Grounded + and I have a question:

if I want to get the trophy for all the shiv doors, pendants, optional convos, and comics, do I have to collect/open them all again? Or can I skip the ones I already did on my first playthrough?

As long as you got those at least once, you're good.

Hubb

Nice! Game is going to be super easy, then.

Also, can you just go to a chapter to unlock door, collect pendant, etc. if you forget it again?

Yeah all that stuff is saved in a separate file. All you have to do is pick it up and you can quit right away.

Gekidami

Banned
Just note that getting all of the shiv doors on Grounded in one playthrough is impossible because you dont get the material to make enough shivs. If you opened any on Grounded, try to ignore them and go for the ones you didnt on Plus.

wowlace

Just finished grounded. Not too hard. I think for me the hardest bit was the Capitol building, actually no, Tommy's dam. I replayed that a shit ton. I finished the game with a bunch of ammo. I missed the last shiv door though, how the fuck did I end up with a partly used shiv?

Just note that getting all of the shiv doors on Grounded in one playthrough is impossible because you dont get the material to make enough shivs. If you opened any on Grounded, try to ignore them and go for the ones you didnt on Plus.

Yeah I had this happen despite how thorough I was. Check if door adds to your total of unlocked doors (there are 13) if it doesn't reload the checkpoint.

ZeroX03

Banned

Is it not possible with the shiv glitch?

Gekidami

Banned
Is it not possible with the shiv glitch?
Shiv glitch? Never heard of that.

Playing on survivor , does the armor piercing upgrade for the rifle kill
armored guards at the final chapter
with one headshot!?
I'm pretty sure it does that with the first armour piercing upgrade too. Not too sure how the second one changes things, or if its even useful.

EDIT: Looked up this Shiv glitch. Interesting. I guess if you did that then yeah, you could open all of the shiv doors.

HardRojo

Took me like forever to get the first bloater down on PS3 (played on normal afair) and it wasn't much better on surviver with the remastered version. I had no desire to do this shit again on grounded, came in dead-alive and managed to get him down in just 2 minutes. Thank god the share button worked flawlessly this time!

Bloaters pose no problem to a Molotov bomb, throw one at them and after a few shots they'll be down.

taizuke

I missed the last shiv door though, how the fuck did I end up with a partly used shiv?

The same happened to me. I can only think of the
sniper section where he uses a shiv to kill you when you get to him. Since you fight him off and use it on him maybe the game mistakes it for a used shiv.

Think i remember having a partly used shiv ever since that part but i'm not 100% sure. Could be wrong, though.

I wanted to play some MP but thanks to the not-a-hack I couldn't so I went through Left Behind. Pretty cool. There was only one challenging section at the end but other than that it was fairly easy on Grounded. The Ellie dialog in the DLC is next level lol

BRICK FUCKING MASTER

Just finished grounded. Not too hard. I think for me the hardest bit was the Capitol building, actually no, Tommy's dam. I replayed that a shit ton. I finished the game with a bunch of ammo. I missed the last shiv door though, how the fuck did I end up with a partly used shiv?

You always get that after the sniper section if you're not maxed on shivs

Superflat

What skills should I upgrade first? Also, I just started this game and damn these zombie encounters are hard

I upgrade weapon sway first to get rid of most of the floatiness. Even upgrading it only once makes it much more manageable. Then shivs or health. Speed and listen mode upgrades I do last because I don't find them very impactful, esp since I never use listen mode :U

I upgrade weapon sway first to get rid of most of the floatiness. Even upgrading it only once makes it much more manageable. Then shivs or health. Speed and listen mode upgrades I do last because I don't find them very impactful, esp since I never use listen mode :U

Should I shiv every clicker (those guys who sense by sound only and kill in one hit)?

Hubb

Should I shiv every clicker (those guys who sense by sound only and kill in one hit)?

Depends on what difficulty you are playing on and if you plan to play at higher difficulties (like grounded). If you intend to, I wouldn't get use to killing clickers that way. Work on your brick or bottle clicker kills (or just try to avoid them completely).

Depends on what difficulty you are playing on and if you plan to play at higher difficulties (like grounded). If you intend to, I wouldn't get use to killing clickers that way. Work on your brick or bottle clicker kills (or just try to avoid them completely).

I'm playing on normal, how do you kill a clicker with a brick or bottle?

Superflat

If there are only 1 or two around, clearing the area out isn't a bad idea, but if there are more, I usually just crouch walk slowly around them. It's pretty easy to avoid any clicker confrontations aside from forced encounters. Even on Grounded mode I was able to walk past stationary clickers mere inches away by moving at the slowest speed. It's tedious but super safe.

If you have an isolated clicker, you can sneak up and hit it with a brick three times to kill it (just mash square until dead). It's a safe combo, but it's loud so it'll alert infected if there are any nearby.

By throwing a bottle at a clicker to stagger it, you can kill it instantly if you hit it with a melee weapon while it's in the staggered state.

Later in the game you get access to a bunch of weapons and upgrades that should render most infected situations mostly manageable.

If there are only 1 or two around, clearing the area out isn't a bad idea, but if there are more, I usually just crouch walk slowly around them. It's pretty easy to avoid any clicker confrontations aside from forced encounters. Even on Grounded mode I was able to walk past stationary clickers mere inches away by moving at the slowest speed. It's tedious but super safe.

If you have an isolated clicker, you can sneak up and hit it with a brick three times to kill it (just mash square until dead). It's a safe combo, but it's loud so it'll alert infected if there are any nearby.

By throwing a bottle at a clicker to stagger it, you can kill it instantly if you hit it with a melee weapon while it's in the staggered state.

Later in the game you get access to a bunch of weapons and upgrades that should render most infected situations mostly manageable.

Thanks, maybe I've become a wimp but I can't remember a AAA mainstream game presenting me with such a challenge in LONG time

teiresias

I've been playing this the past two days and I'm really not feeling it. I can't believe anyone can be down on Uncharted gunplay and like this. I find it worse simply due to the erratic enemy AI (at least for the infected, which in and of itself isn't bad, but combined with the aiming is annoying) - and this is after upgrading my "aiming sway" once. Frankly, I've avoided using firearms as much as possible, which is actually refreshing - but sometimes you're forced to use it.

Right now I've
just met Bill and we're on our way to the armory or whatever and we're in that open area with the broken down cars that then gets an infected run on us

I've just died at this place like ten times and turned the game off in frustration. Clicker one-hit deaths are about the lamest mechanic I've ever encountered in any game in my life, and while they're great in areas setup with a stealth option available, in this situation where they're in an already roused mob with Runners too it's complete BS. They'll run up behind you and one-hit you - no warning - there's really no way to take them down with a firearm without blind luck, and you get like one shot with an enhanced melee weapon before it breaks. Not sure how much more of my time I'm going to give this honestly.

hawk2025

I've been playing this the past two days and I'm really not feeling it. I can't believe anyone can be down on Uncharted gunplay and like this. I find it worse simply due to the erratic enemy AI (at least for the infected, which in and of itself isn't bad, but combined with the aiming is annoying) - and this is after upgrading my "aiming sway" once. Frankly, I've avoided using firearms as much as possible, which is actually refreshing - but sometimes you're forced to use it.

Right now I've
just met Bill and we're on our way to the armory or whatever and we're in that open area with the broken down cars that then gets an infected run on us

I've just died at this place like ten times and turned the game off in frustration. Clicker one-hit deaths are about the lamest mechanic I've ever encountered in any game in my life, and while they're great in areas setup with a stealth option available, in this situation where they're in an already roused mob with Runners too it's complete BS. They'll run up behind you and one-hit you - no warning - there's really no way to take them down with a firearm without blind luck, and you get like one shot with an enhanced melee weapon before it breaks. Not sure how much more of my time I'm going to give this honestly.

You're fundamentally misunderstanding the gameplay of the game. There's plenty of "warning". The clickers, well -- click. The gameplay also highlights and requires constant situational awareness, and that includes avoiding being surprised from behind. If it's too hard, ND did include the "Listen Mode" crutch that perhaps you should be using.

There's absolutely a way to take them down with a firearm, it absolutely does not involve blind luck, and you can kill them with a shiv if you upgrade that particular skill.

People can be down on Uncharted's gunplay but not this game's because they serve fundamentally different gameplay designs. I suggest sticking with it, but perhaps your mind is already made up.

teiresias

You're fundamentally misunderstanding the gameplay of the game. There's plenty of "warning". The clickers, well -- click. The gameplay also highlights and requires constant situational awareness, and that includes avoiding being surprised from behind. If it's too hard, ND did include the "Listen Mode" crutch that perhaps you should be using.

There's absolutely a way to take them down with a firearm, it absolutely does not involve blind luck, and you can kill them with a shiv if you upgrade that particular skill.

People can be down on Uncharted's gunplay but not this game's because they serve fundamentally different gameplay designs. I suggest sticking with it, but perhaps your mind is already made up.

My point was not about clickers that are hanging about and don't know you're there. My post was talking about these staged infected fights (like the one I was talking about) where runners and clickers are already rushing you, so avoiding clickers, hearing their warnings, or anything like that, is not applicable. Listen Mode doesn't do anything in those situations even if I were using it.

Jigolo

Wow I can't even get passed the first infected on grounded because I have no idea what button to press.
Edit: oh square

My point was not about clickers that are hanging about and don't know you're there. My post was talking about these staged infected fights (like the one I was talking about) where runners and clickers are already rushing you, so avoiding clickers, hearing their warnings, or anything like that, is not applicable. Listen Mode doesn't do anything in those situations even if I were using it.
It's supposed to be chaotic when you get rushed by runners, gives the player the feeling of shit really hitting the fan.

Hubb

Right now I've

You don't have to kill everything, and for most of the game you shouldn't kill everything. And the area you are talking about gives you about 30-60 seconds "prep" time to get yourself ready. You can even kill a few before they all start coming. Bricks will also be your friend here, and don't be afraid to sprint and let your companions take some of the load.

Replicant

That part was easy man. I did it in no more than 2 attempts on Survivor.

When you get to that area, pick up the bottle/brick that's on the ground and run to the area where there are more of it. When the fight broke out, stay as far away from the pack and tease 1 of them to follow you. Throw the brick/bottle at him and do triangle chokehold. Then RUN away again and find another brick/bottle. Repeat this with another runner and so on.

Soon you'll be left with 1 clicker so throw the brick then run at him and use melee weapon to smash his head or shotgun him. Even better, if you are good enough, you can bait the clicker to walk through the bomb that's on the ground when the fight starts.

Here's a general idea on how to approach it. This one takes place inside the museum but it's similar in principle. Grab brick, run, throw brick, chokehold, run again, repeat:

http://youtu.be/5l9GUuedb1k

jacobeid

Banned
Is it just me or is the last portion of Left Behind on Grounded the hardest part of the whole game? I have an arrow and three bullets left, and I can't even make it past the first wave of enemies consistently, much less the second.

I hated that part. I actually ended up moving the difficulty down to easy on the remastered version because I already did it on the PS3 version. It's not fun at all and ruins the pacing.

hawk2025

It absolutely is applicable; my point was more general because your criticism is larger than just that one moment.

viveks86

The sniper section in grounded mode is one of the most intense segments I've ever played. Getting to the top floor and stabbing that piece of shit was SO satisfying.

viveks86

This guide worked wonders for me. Brutal section if you try and fight it.

Nice!
I actually went right through the center. When you do that, no enemies spawn until the very end. Killed one guy through the entire segment and even that was not required. But dodging those one shot kills took quite a bit of timing and practice. I almost gave up after several dozen failed attempts. And then it clicked!

Top Bottom