• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story |OT| Now confirmed worldwide

New pics~

pre-release JP retailer poster ↑

euro poster (side a) ↑

euro poster (side b) ↑ (someone forgot to translate "jeu")

JP version of the game ↑

Elements of TLS (JP) ↑

Imagine pre-order pre-paid book card & Sofmap pre-order telephone card (size warning) ↑ (JP)

Joshin pre-order clear file ↑ (JP)

pre-order clear file ↑ (JP)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well HMV shipped my order 3 days ago but I still don't have it. Now Monday is the earliest I can get it. :( Why postman why?

Has anyone in the US who ordered from Amazon.de figure out how to do tracking? I tried DHL global with the tracking number in the email, but I can't get it to work. I tried using the Amazon site, but I can't read German so I don't know what it is saying or if there is a link to their shipping company like their is on Amazon US with UPS.

Amirnol

Anyone playing this on Dolphin? A bit unstable, but 90% of the time it looks amazing. Only real issues I'm having involve exploring the city; the framerate becomes truly atrocious. How much better is it in the Wii version? Going to be playing this until my import arrives.

Couple of hours in, chapter 20, gotta say that I'm not feeling it. Battlesystem has yet to ,click' with me, but even not taking that into account, it mostly feels rough around the edges and sometimes like a downright bad game. I really want to say that I love this game, I especially like the main city, but there's too many annoyances. Chapter 20 aka
haunted house
was a cool idea, with ridiculously terrible execution. Go 5 steps, cutscene is activated, followed by ,,search the screen'' sequence. Shit is repeated about 5 times and ends on a super tedious boss fight....

I'll finish it and try multiplayer, but after anticipating it for so long I don't see how it won't end up as one of the most disappointing games of the gen for me at this point. And the game not being like Xenoblade really isn't the problem, I wasn't even the biggest fan XB. :/

wrowa

I've got to say, Sakaguchi's words regarding the overblown importance the industry pays to the graphics seem incredibly silly after playing Last Story. I'm quite honest here, I think the game is nothing short of a technical catastrophe. If I look very closely I can suspect that behind everything is actually a rather nice looking game; too bad it's burried in ugly colors, an awful image quality and the most horrendous framerate I've seen in a very long time. It's so obvious that the Wii isn't cabable of displaying Sakaguchi's vision that I can just shake my head over his statement. Or maybe the development team sucked, I don't know.

In any case, it's not a good-looking game by any means. Even considering that it's a Wii game, the framerate is just too bad to tolerate. In comparison, Xenoblade is a much better and more impressive looking game by far.

Has anyone in the US who ordered from Amazon.de figure out how to do tracking? I tried DHL global with the tracking number in the email, but I can't get it to work. I tried using the Amazon site, but I can't read German so I don't know what it is saying or if there is a link to their shipping company like their is on Amazon US with UPS.

www.dhl.de

Normally you just have to copy & paste your tracking number into the "Sendungsverfolgung" field and press "Jetzt suchen". If you can't figure out the status you can ask here for a translation.

In any case, it's not a good-looking game by any means. Even considering that it's a Wii game, the framerate is just too bad to tolerate. In comparison, Xenoblade is a much better and more impressive looking game by far.

I like the overall art design, colours, etc. . I knew what I was getting into, but I was really surprised by the terrible framerate and the overuse of bloom from time to time. It's not like the game is one of the graphically strongest on the Wii either. What sticks out like a sore thumb to me also are the characters. I could perhaps tolerate some of their out of place designs, if the animation wouldn't look so stiff and soulless in cutscenes in skits.

Zomba13

Finished the game in about 26ish hours.
Might've missed an optional Chapter or 2 (at least some sidequests. Could never get to the man who could only be reached by swimming in the river. It never let me go into the water or down the ladders).

I really enjoyed it. Not been able to play much of the multi at all. It never finds anyone. I found one guy a few days ago but it was co-op and we failed badly.
I kinda like the graphics in a way. I mean, I like the style. The textures on a bunch of things are too low res and the framerate is a mess most of the time.
Also disappointed in the final plot twist the story throws at you. I expected it coming a mile off and was sad to see I was right. Just seemed like the most predictable twist they could have given.

Zeliard

I've got to say, Sakaguchi's words regarding the overblown importance the industry pays to the graphics seem incredibly silly after playing Last Story. I'm quite honest here, I think the game is nothing short of a technical catastrophe. If I look very closely I can suspect that behind everything is actually a rather nice looking game; too bad it's burried in ugly colors, an awful image quality and the most horrendous framerate I've seen in a very long time. It's so obvious that the Wii isn't cabable of displaying Sakaguchi's vision that I can just shake my head over his statement. Or maybe the development team sucked, I don't know.

Though like many other emulated games, it gains a significant visual improvement through Dolphin:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35434120&postcount=7522

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35456812&postcount=7525

One of the more notable beneficiaries of a Wii game rendered @ high resolution that I've seen, at least through pics.

bubnbob

Banned
Finished the game in about 26ish hours.
Might've missed an optional Chapter or 2 (at least some sidequests. Could never get to the man who could only be reached by swimming in the river. It never let me go into the water or down the ladders).

How many chapters? And to swim, you have to do the 3 frog fetch quest in the city.

I agree. I particularly hate the colour filter which is often applied, it looks really bad. The overall image quality is not great either and the whole thing is inconsistent, sometimes it looks really good, sometimes it looks like a PSP game. I would love to see what Sakaguchi could do with a huge budget like he had at Squenix, but I doubt it will ever happen now.

As much as it pains me to admit, Uematsu is not what he once was either :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
I took the number under "Paketnummer" and pasted it there, but it says invalid number.

Maybe they haven't registered it yet? Sometimes it takes them about a day. You can also track your package directly on the Amazon page, if you go to your order and then click on the big yellow button "Lieferung verfolgen".

kunonabi

I agree. I particularly hate the colour filter which is often applied, it looks really bad. The overall image quality is not great either and the whole thing is inconsistent, sometimes it looks really good, sometimes it looks like a PSP game. I would love to see what Sakaguchi could do with a huge budget like he had at Squenix, but I doubt it will ever happen now.

As much as it pains me to admit, Uematsu is not what he once was either :(

I actually like his Lost Odyssey and The Last Story's soundtracks better than his FF stuff post VI.

Played around 3 hours so far, occasionally unstable framerate aside i'm enjoying things, I don't really have more to add at this point...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The game looks fine on my SDTV. No worse than any Wii game as far as the image quality goes. Some areas are more unpolished than others but most games have that. I'm more annoyed by the quality of animation here and there than the image quality or whatever else. The frame rate hasn't been an issue yet though I have been in the city people say is a constant annoyance and I'm the sort of person that would rather reduce settings on PC for a smoother frame rate. No, I'm not saying it runs smooth, but that it doesn't hinder the experience so far. At least not as much as playing The Witcher 2 and reaching Flotsam on my aging PC did. If you like the (real) screenshots you'll probably like how the game looks since I assume that by now you know what effect putting that resolution on your TV has. If you don't like the colors or art style or whatever else, well, to each their own but I don't think the Wii was the reason they chose this palette. The combat system is awesome though I don't yet have many options, the story is servicable and you can fast forward cut scenes and conversations. The voice acting isn't as charming as Xenoblade yet but I've barely started getting to know the party through interacting with them in the city, perhaps after all that stuff discussions improve.

Edit: oh yeah, I noticed and disliked that in the city NPCs that are a little further away have lower frame rate animations, like the enemies on Mercenaries 3D. But I got over that too I guess since I forgot about it while writing this post.

Oxx

I'm gonna start playing tomorrow. I can't imagine I'll be one of those people who finish in a few days.

It's just hard to sit down in front of the TV for hours on end. I have no idea how i ended-up spending 100+ hours with Xenoblade. At least TLS appears shorter. But still, portable RPGs ftw.

weeaboo

Finished with 22 hours. Mass Effect: The JRPG indeed and yes, it's pretty good,

I have to say that TLS has one of the most beautiful and well made endings I've seen in a while. It takes his time and does everything in a lovely way, It's just perfect.

Fuck I want another big budget Sakaguchi game soon ;(

Edit: oh yeah, I noticed and disliked that in the city NPCs that are a little further away have lower frame rate animations, like the enemies on Mercenaries 3D. But I got over that too I guess since I forgot about it while writing this post.

same shit happens in SWTOR. I really find it annoying

How is HMV for orders to the US? Are they a place I should be worried about, or have people had success with them? They shipped mine on the 23rd, I know its going to be a while before I get it, but I'm just wondering if I made a decent choice after Game stopped stocking it...

jesusraz

New review up: Cubed3: 9/10

The Last Story definitely deserves to follow in the footsteps of Xenoblade Chronicles, appealing to RPG fans everywhere, tapping into what makes the classics, such as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy so addictive, namely a strong focus on story with good pacing and a fluid battle mechanic that works almost flawlessly throughout the adventure. With only Final Fantasy XIII-2 as its main competition here in Europe right now, gamers should definitely be looking to snap this up instead as it proves to be far superior in almost every category. Hironobu Sakaguchi can safely say his latest creation surpasses his first ever.

jesusraz

I know the list of voice actors has already been posted, but what about the name of the voice agency used? Always been intrigued about the company Nintendo works with for the likes of TLS, Xenoblade, Layton, Inazuma Eleven, etc...

Im outta the loop, cause I know nothing about this game, and I suddenly looked at this thread.. But anyways, this looks pretty good. I know nothing about it, and I really don't use my Wii often, but I may try to check this out.

So whats known about the NA version?

pgtl_10

A lot of people want this game more than Xenoblade due to pedigree. I need to finish Xenoblade because the game is coming soon.

How does it hold up against Xenoblade? More traditional RPG? More story heavy? any impressions?

A lot of people want this game more than Xenoblade due to pedigree. I need to finish Xenoblade because the game is coming soon.

How does it hold up against Xenoblade? More traditional RPG? More story heavy? any impressions?

I would say more story heavy but less traditional than Xenoblade. IMO it's very similar to FFXII in graphic style and in the way that the story unfolds, you have a narrator who does the explaining and backstory. So far I have not encountered any backtracking (or exploring really) at all, the narrator guy just says something like "the party headed back" and that's that, so in that respect it's very streamlined.

To me it feels like a game made within a tight budget, whereas Xenoblade felt like "let's see how far we can take this".

pgtl_10

I would say more story heavy but less traditional than Xenoblade. IMO it's very similar to FFXII in graphic style and in the way that the story unfolds, you have a narrator who does the explaining and backstory. So far I have not encountered any backtracking (or exploring really) at all, the narrator guy just says something like "the party headed back" and that's that, so in that respect it's very streamlined.

To me it feels like a game made within a tight budget, whereas Xenoblade felt like "let's see how far we can take this".

Hopefully it's not like Arc Rise Fantasia. I've never seen more worthless NPCs in my life.

If you had been paying attention, everyone that had played the japanese version said:

"It's good, but it's no Xenoblade"

Yes. IMO, Xeno is the far better game, but comparing them because their are "jRPG" is kinda so wrong... It's like comparing fallout tactics to Oblivion because they's wRPG. You got the idea. Very different conceptions.

IMO, a better comparison would be TLS / FF13, and IMO TLS is the far superior game (gameplay, overall design and character design, etc, better done progression).

So, yeah, the game is good, but it comes after a universally praised other "jRPG".

Plus, flameshield up, I guess Sakaguchi has not really evolved in his concepts. I like the guy, was a god to me in the FF6 era, but I think he has not aged well :(

Poor Sakaguchi-san :( He shouldn't be directing I guess. Having a big influence, but not having the final word on many topics.

wrowa

It might have been if it had come before Xenoblade, those are big shoes to fill.

While Xenoblade and Last Story are two fundamentally different games, both of them are trying to achieve certain similar things. And while Xenoblade succeeded bravously at doing these things, Last Story often shows potential without ever fully succeeding.

I'm maybe half way through the game, but if I would have to sum it up in one word today, the word would be "tragedy".

Last Story is a tragedy in so far that it's so obvious that Sakaguchi put all of its heart into the game, but it never really lives up to its potential. It's a very enjoyable game, but it's sadly a very rough experience in pretty much every regard.

Firemind

Is it just me or is the final battle buggy as hell? First try, after the first form or so, the music turns almost silent, so I just hear the sound effects and the second try, I should have been invincible and yet I still died to an attack. I call hax! No, seriously, am I missing something or did I just waste an hour of my life? This friggin thing is tedious as fuck.

Zomba13

Is it just me or is the final battle buggy as hell? First try, after the first form or so, the music turns almost silent, so I just hear the sound effects and the second try, I should have been invincible and yet I still died to an attack. I call hax! No, seriously, am I missing something or did I just waste an hour of my life? This friggin thing is tedious as fuck.

I had no problems in the final battle. Apart from the music being weird as fuck. The final boss is pretty long though.

Firemind

Any tips? Because only Yurick seems to be able to deal considerable damage. I was not joking when I said it took me an entire hour and yet I still only got
the third form
to half health before I got a game over.

godnorazi

Banned
not sure if this has already been answered.... but is the NA version going to have different voice overs compared to the Euro/British version? I couldnt stand the voices in Xenoblade

Top Bottom