• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story |OT| Now confirmed worldwide

Gambit

I saved before I did. So it only happened in a parallel universe...

That's how I did it as well. It didn't really count!

Anyhow, progressed to chapter 18 last night.

It's very strange how I am always looking forward to the next fight. The battle system is really engaging. I remember J-Gaf complained that it was too easy (with five resurrections per fight) and it's true, it is somewhat easy. However, for me it makes it a lot less frustrating. You have time to figure out how best to proceed. (In all honesty, three lives instead of five would be enough)

So chapter 18
I am in prison. When I came home from the Gurak base I was wondering how the story would continue. Prison seems like a good idea.

I like the pace of the story. There's always something going on with little filler (so far).

Hypothesis: (I am completely unspoiled in regards to the story, so my theory is not really a spoiler, but I give warning nonetheless)

I have suspicions about Dagran now. He seems "off" since he ran after Zangurak. I believe he might be a traitor, but hope not, as I really like his character.

Don't tell me if I am right or wrong.

EDIT: I forgot, I have a question. Can someone explain the wall-jump to me?
I am playing on manual, and it said I need to press "A" standing next to a wall. All my characters does, however, is slashing.
What to do?

Zomba13

That's how I did it as well. It didn't really count!

Anyhow, progressed to chapter 18 last night.

It's very strange how I am always looking forward to the next fight. The battle system is really engaging. I remember J-Gaf complained that it was too easy (with five resurrections per fight) and it's true, it is somewhat easy. However, for me it makes it a lot less frustrating. You have time to figure out how best to proceed. (In all honesty, three lives instead of five would be enough)

So chapter 18
I am in prison. When I came home from the Gurak base I was wondering how the story would continue. Prison seems like a good idea.

I like the pace of the story. There's always something going on with little filler (so far).

Hypothesis: (I am completely unspoiled in regards to the story, so my theory is not really a spoiler, but I give warning nonetheless)

I have suspicions about Dagran now. He seems "off" since he ran after Zangurak. I believe he might be a traitor, but hope not, as I really like his character.

Don't tell me if I am right or wrong.

EDIT: I forgot, I have a question. Can someone explain the wall-jump to me?
I am playing on manual, and it said I need to press "A" standing next to a wall. All my characters does, however, is slashing.
What to do?

Do you mean the Vertical Slash? Keep running into a wall and you'll run up it then you select where to come down.

Gambit

Do you mean the Vertical Slash? Keep running into a wall and you'll run up it then you select where to come down.

Yes, that's what I mean. So I simply run against a wall, only using the control stick? I shall try that.

No wonder then that pressing A didn't do any good.

On a related note, maybe I should wear my spectacles to play games. I have trouble reading the tutorials...

And usually the wall has to be perfectly straight in order to perform it. And It doesn't work on huge doors. It somewhat troubled me in a particular sidequest.

Also, I loved the Haunted Mansion sidequest. I think games should have sidequests that are radically different in tone than the main game.

MicH

I just picked up my LE copy from the post office and I must say that the LE is absolutely amazing.

I just managed to get to chapter 3 and then I took a break. Love the game so far, but I'm not quite sure how the battle system works quite yet. I'm sure I'll get that in time.

Seik

Banned
I hope I'll get mine today, would be a perfect game to clear for this week-end! D:

EDIT: What? HMV does import games? If yes, I'll go there for Pandora's Tower.

Got it! Man does this ease the sting of not getting street fighter x tekken early... Wow hmv got me the game in the US much faster than Game did for xenoblade

Oxx

The most irritating repetitious voice sample since Reyn in Xenoblade.

I'm starting to get the hang of all the combat and customization systems at this point. Should I be selling these blunt silver weapons for cash now, or are they worth hanging-on to?

Zwei

Finally got the LE today, and wow, it really is heavy. :)

I'm keeping it sealed, though, and I'll just wait on double-dipping with the North American version.

Roxas

About 8 hours in, good game so far. i HATE the auto battle thing. Like im trying to run from one side of the battlefield to the other to revive someone and he just starts auto attacking the enemy instead. :\

I'm starting to get the hang of all the combat and customization systems at this point. Should I be selling these blunt silver weapons for cash now, or are they worth hanging-on to?
Heh, I literally just checked this out on Gamefaqs about 5 minutes ago. They said to just keep one of each and sell the rest for cash. Something about them being upgradable weapons in the 2nd playthrough (if you're into that sort of thing).

About 8 hours in, good game so far. i HATE the auto battle thing. Like im trying to run from one side of the battlefield to the other to revive someone and he just starts auto attacking the enemy instead. :\
Use manual mode!!

I've gotta say that I'm not a fan of the battle conversations. It's too hard concentrating on staying alive and listening to their babble. Fun game though, but so unpolished.

Oxx

I'm still sticking with auto-attack. There are enough secondary attacks to meddle with that I can quite happily proceed without controlling basic sword-swings.

What I did find interesting was that after messing with the analogue sticks during cutscenes anyway, there is actually an option to give you camera control in the in-engine scenes.

ajim

Really enjoying this game so far, but maybe I missed it, how to I set the controls to manual? I had a brief look through the control settings, must have missed it?

Also, with equipping weapons and armour - how do I actually do that? I finally earned some money in the arena and bought a new sword, however, I'm not sure how to equp? It looks like to me, that when I go to equp an item it selects an item from another character, and not from my inventory?

The menus confuse me as fuck.

edit: I also enjoy the voice acting moreso than Xenoblade.

fernoca

Well, based on videos and impressions...
Really enjoying this game so far, but maybe I missed it, how to I set the controls to manual? I had a brief look through the control settings, must have missed it?
That one in under Controller. Checking around to see were specifically. :p
Go to 'Options' and that will take you to 'Controls 1'. Press right for 'Controls 2' and change the 'Attack Type' between "Normal" and "Manual".

Also, with equipping weapons and armour - how do I actually do that? I finally earned some money in the arena and bought a new sword, however, I'm not sure how to equp? It looks like to me, that when I go to equp an item it selects an item from another character, and not from my inventory?

The menus confuse me as fuck.
You go to 'Equip' and select the weapon/armor you want. The ones that another characters is using, will have a picture of their face next to it. If you choose one of those, both character will swap weapon/armor. If not, it will just equip.

EDIT:
Added where's Manual Mode.

Oxx

Not sure of the exact chapter I'm on. Somewhere around 18-20, I think.

I thought the castle got completely trashed! I guess we must have been at sea for a long, long time. Or Lazulis has efficient builders.

I apparently missed 2 extra chapters between the final dungeon and credits. And then I've seemingly overwritten my save file with new game+.

*Nnnooooooo* :(

Guess it's time for multiplayer now.

Did someone say missable stuff...ugh

Well think of it like this. If the Japanese version is DVD-9 as well then there might not have been enough space on the disc to have two sets of audio.

Without knowing how full the game is (I've still not had time to insert it :( ) I can't make any guesses though. Maybe also cost-cutting came into play.
I inserted it now. 4.87 GB, DVD-9. In other words NOE used a whole ~500 megabytes of the second layer. Feedback might have suggested nobody really bothered with the Japanese voices on Xenoblade (though I don't specifically remember being asked any quesiton on it though) and/or for some reason The Last Story voice rights cost too much or Xenoblade was contracted differently allowing for a worldwide release (though I guess at the time there might not have been plans at the time of work).

I'm curious now if the Japanese release was the same in terms of space used.

Gambit

I apparently missed 2 extra chapters between the final dungeon and credits. And then I've seemingly overwritten my save file with new game+.

*Nnnooooooo* :(

Guess it's time for multiplayer now.

Thanks for sharing, now I know to keep a second save file.

Sadly, I didn't get to play at all last night. Today I plan on watching football (...soccer) and the Iron Lady in the evening. Not sure I'll get to Last Story today either. Maybe I will just switch it on to try the vertical slash, now that I know how.

When do we start sharing Friendcodes? Also, where can I find my own friendcode?

Firemind

Did someone say missable stuff...ugh

I inserted it now. 4.87 GB, DVD-9. In other words NOE used a whole ~500 megabytes of the second layer. Feedback might have suggested nobody really bothered with the Japanese voices on Xenoblade (though I don't specifically remember being asked any quesiton on it though) and/or for some reason The Last Story voice rights cost too much or Xenoblade was contracted differently allowing for a worldwide release (though I guess at the time there might not have been plans at the time of work).

I'm curious now if the Japanese release was the same in terms of space used.

People seem to forget that the lip animations are synced to the English voices in cutscenes, unlike Xenoblade which was not, meaning they had to include animations for both English and Japanese if they had made the decision to add Japanese voice tracks. I can't say if the remaining space was sufficient or not, but I can tell you that there are a lot of cutscenes in this game.

I had the feeling pre-ordering from Coolshop would be a mistake. Took the chance because of the price.

Now I have no game.

"Unfortunately the product in your order is now on backorder.
We very much regret the wait, and we will be doing all we can to get your order delivered as soon as possible:"

Piss off!
*black-lists website*

MicH

That boss battle in chapter 15 makes me cry :( PARALYZE PARALYZE PARALYZE SHAKE THE STICK SHAKE THE STICK OH MY GOD STOP IT

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Finally got it running decently on Dolphin thanks to you guys! :D

So I've just finished Chapter 14, and I'm loving the game so far. The boss fights in particular are pretty creative. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finally got it running decently on Dolphin thanks to you guys! :D

So I've just finished Chapter 14, and I'm loving the game so far. The boss fights in particular are pretty creative. :D

The boss fights are a lot of fun. I really like they way they're done. The boss fights near the end of the game are pretty stellar.

Oxx

20 chapters down, 10 hours in and I feel like the game is progressing nicely.

I'm back out exploring the city for the first time in ages and I'm finding new locations. Does the arena offer any good rewards?

beril

Started playing it last night. Only played for a bit and just reached the town. Some mixed reactions so far.

The controls feel a bit clumsy; camera controls especially, and the peformance is a bit choppy. One detail that I really liked was the dialogue screen with both character rendered atop of the blurred out scene view, but the low framerate killed it.

It feels a bit too much inspired by modern cinematic action games for my taste so far though with the contant scripted sequences and the characters talking all the time during gameplay; and I really hate cover mechanics...

I do like VA though, liked Syrennes voice especially, and the world seems interesting enough

Firemind

I played co-op for funsies and it seems like I only got one random item at the end. What's the point of having items for pickup on the battlefield if you can't even obtain it?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
started yesterday, I'm really enjoying it.
unfortunately the feeling of frame rate is annoying, but to me that's the only problem up to no (chapter 7)
it's very linear, there are just closed environments, maybe too tutorials interrupting the flow.
but I like to new and different approach to the jrpg genre that this game is trying to push: really story-driven but also action packed, I love the character design, but also the general "european-medieval" style of the entire game (for equipments, armors, architecture...).
the city is really alive, I'v got an Assassins creed vibe from it. Probably I'd love to have such a city as hub for the next zelda game.
the story is clichè-based, but I have to say that it's very gentle and poetic, up to now, and some landscape I was was simply stunning.
I'l loving also the BS, also if I have to repeat that the tutorial 'til now was too stressed, but I think that it will decrease from now on.
Please Nintendo, take note: on Wii U more Xeno, Zelda, Last Story games, thank you.

Zomba13

I played co-op for funsies and it seems like I only got one random item at the end. What's the point of having items for pickup on the battlefield if you can't even obtain it?

The weapons and items in multiplayer games are just power-ups, like finding power weapons in a Halo match. You get a prize at the end though, 1st place usually gets a weapon or rare material and the rest get special effect dyes like sparkles or butterflies.

PetrCobra

Started the game yesterday. At first, it seemed very chaotic and I was surprised by the VERY strong emphasis on storytelling at the expense of other elements in the game, but now I'm starting to really appreciate the combat for what it is. And the story is very well told, too, so I think that while Xenoblade fits my taste much more, this will be another great Wii game in my collection.

Top Bottom