• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S2 |OT| We're Going To Texas - [Renewed for 3rd and final season]

Alienware

The bad news here is that they haven't started production yet so the show is definitely going to air next year, but hell yeah, the fact that they're moving to Australia only builds the hype even more.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Leftovers' Final Season Cast Revealed: Who's In? Who's Out?

TVLine has learned exclusively that nearly the entire ensemble is returning — with one notable exception.

Ann Dowd, whose Patti Levin played a major role in Season 2 despite being killed off in Season 1, will not be back as a regular. Of course, it’s entirely possible Patti (who was successfully exorcised from Kevin’s psyche in Season 2) could return to haunt our tortured antihero as a guest star.

Justin Theroux and Carrie Coon, as well as supporting players Amy Brenneman, Christopher Eccleston, Liv Tyler, Margaret Qualley, Chris Zylka and Janel Moloney. Additionally, Regina King, Kevin Carroll, Jovan Adepo and Jasmin Savoy-Brown are set for Season 3.

Also back in a big way: Scott Glenn, who has been bumped up to series regular. Glenn recurred in Seasons 1 and 2 as the father of Theroux’s Kevin Garvey. (Savoy-Brown has also been upped to a regular after guest-starring in Season 2.)

Little else is known about Season 3 — which TVLine hears will consist of eight episodes.

Just finished season two as I catch up on shows that I was behind one while in school. Really great performances this season, and I love some of the changes it made with location and cast. Glad it was renewed for a final season. I wonder if everyone is moving to Australia haha.

/Film: Damon Lindelof Teases Final Scene, Season 3 to Premiere in 2017

The first two episodes of season three were already shot in Texas. Lindelof tells Deadline they’re currently prepping to film the remainder of the season in Australia. Why the series is moving to another country he doesn’t go into — possibly because Kevin (Justin Theroux) is looking for his father (Scott Glenn), who may not be as crazy as he once thought — but he does say they started writing season three with the ending in mind:

Well, we started with the very end. We eventually said, what do we want the last scene of the series to be, who’s in that scene and what’s happening in that scene, what do we want that scene to evoke emotionally? And then, on a storytelling level, what happens, what feels like finality in a show that has never been about resolving mystery and delivering conclusive endings, now that the show is actually going to end? And how do we want the audience to be feeling when it’s all over? So, those conversations started in a very abstract way and as they developed became much more coherent and sort of formed themselves into “OK, we know what that last scene is, now, how are we going to get there?”

So I just finished up season 2 last night, been pacing myself by watching 1 episode a week to let stuff set in. Gotta say that whilst I think season 2 is certainly better in terms of quality, overall season 1 is a more enjoyable viewing experience (I also watched it 1 episode per week, after it had finished airing).

I appreciate shows that don't pack episodes with a bit of everything and choose to focus on a few elements in greater detail or even a single story thread, but I felt season 2 overdoes it and it drags the pacing and momentum of the season down severely.

The season opens on the new family in Miracle, which threw me off but I came around after a while and it gets back on track with the Garveys in episode 2, but then episode 3 focused on Laurie/Tommy's backstory and the wind went out the sails. We're back with the Garveys in episode 4 but they're dropped again for episode 5 with another standalone Matt episod. Episodes 6,7 & 8 are probably the best run of the season and although episode 8 is another standalone episode for Kevin it's done without throwing off the pacing. Episode 9 is another backstory with Meg and I actually think this is the only 'bad' episode, Liv Tyler just doesn't do it for me (in a dramatic sense, I'm not being a twat). Episode 10 was brilliant though, definitely a high note for the series.

None of the content is bad, save maybe episode 9 with Meg (but that's just my opinion) it's just that the season is put together in a way that means it's constantly stopping and starting. It reminded me a bit of the first Hobbit movie, which seemed to have a 'starting out on our adventure' montage every 20 minutes.

Great content being performed by some fantastic actors, but the pacing of the season ultimately lets them down.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Late to the party, but just finished the S2 finale. Absolutely loved it and the series in general. Went through the thread to, which was fun. Had to ignore some posts but that's fine.

Gonna be a long wait for S3 :(

Also, love the S2 intro, I'm in the camp that prefers it to S1.

Late to the party, but just finished the S2 finale. Absolutely loved it and the series in general. Went through the thread to, which was fun. Had to ignore some posts but that's fine.

Gonna be a long wait for S3 :(

Also, love the S2 intro, I'm in the camp that prefers it to S1.
I'm kind of bummed I was able to binge watch S2. I wonder what it was like watching it live, "wait, are these all new characters!?"

I do remember being confused with the new intro and had to back out of the episode to make sure I was watching the right thing.

Just wanted to thank gaf for bringing this show to my attention. Absolutely incredible. International assassin had to he 1 of the best episodes I've ever seen on tv. Gaf has some damn good taste sometimes. You guys also got me into my favorite show of all time breaking bad. At the very end of season 2 of this I almost teared up because I've been waiting for Kevin and tom to reunite. Why are they ending this with 3 seasons? Not enough viewership?

Saya

I finished watching season 2 last night. Amazing series. Season 2 cemented this show as one of my favourites ever and it can easily stand alongside other HBO classics.

I almost shed a tear at the end of the season. Just beautiful.

And the music... wow great selection and use of these songs.

Cannot wait for the next season.

Dany

Banned

giphy.gif

jett

D-Member
Watched season 1.

Watched first episode of season 2.

HBO really is in the shits. This show is absolutely god awful.

Someone just link me to that alleged S2 scene that is supposedly oh so good because I don't give a fuck anymore.

5taquitos

Watched season 1.

Someone just link me to that alleged S2 scene that is supposedly oh so good because I don't give a fuck anymore.

Any "oh so good" scene would mean fuck-all to you if you don't give a shit about the show.

Watched season 1.

Which? There are a few, but it won't work with out the build-up. Give S2 another episode or two before giving up, if you're so inclined. So many people did a complete 180 on the show that season.

jett

D-Member
I dunno, someone else here said this show had the best scene in television in 2016, and I was like dayum, this show must be good.

Ah forget it.

I may or may not come back to it. It's just pretty boring, feels like nothing happens, half the time I'm browsing neogaf. Does the entertainment factor go up at all in S2?

oipic

Watched season 1.

This show just may not be for you, I'm afraid - if it hasn't grabbed you yet, I doubt it will. It's slow-burn, emotion-driven TV; as someone I know said, 'where's the plot?' - it wasn't for them, either. I dearly love the characters on this show, and cherish their journey - oh, and the acting! Some of the best.

I get a little flutter of excitement whenever this thread resurfaces on my subs list. So looking forward to S3.

AoM

I dunno, someone else here said this show had the best scene in television in 2016, and I was like dayum, this show must be good.

Ah forget it.

I may or may not come back to it. It's just pretty boring, feels like nothing happens, half the time I'm browsing neogaf. Does the entertainment factor go up at all in S2?

A dilemma, indeed.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Ah forget it.

There's an obvious tone shift in S2 vs S1. Less a day in the life of with some strsnge happenings. Way more weird shit.

Ah forget it.

First off, I commend you for making it through that prologue scene, haha. I'm speaking as a rabid fan of both seasons, so grain of salt, etc., but S2 has MUCH more of a spine to it, to use a poor analogy. There''s more of a clear running plot throughout the season that is very satisfyingly resolved, IMO. Obviously won't tell you to watch something you're not into, but give it 2 more episodes to see if it grabs you. The next episode is where the plot I mention really kicks into gear.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
This show just may not be for you, I'm afraid - if it hasn't grabbed you yet, I doubt it will. It's slow-burn, emotion-driven TV; as someone I know said, 'where's the plot?' - it wasn't for them, either. I dearly love the characters on this show, and cherish their journey - oh, and the acting! Some of the best.

I get a little flutter of excitement whenever this thread resurfaces on my subs list. So looking forward to S3.

Yeah, this.

kris.

Banned
So I just finished up episode 9 of season 2 last night and I'm kicking myself so hard for not jumping on this sooner. Phenomenal show.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I just finished binge watching both seasons and I don't understand what's happening.

*where is my mind starts playing*

I fucking KNEW it. All the way back when Damon talked about Life of Brian being an inspiration for this season on Andy Greenwald's podcast a few years ago, I KNEW Kevin was gonna end up being a reluctant Jesus figure.

Top Bottom