• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

Epcott

Ah, it's over.
That was actually not bad.
Big info dump in last 8 min. Never explained Kevin's miraculous returns, but whateves.

They couldve made that 5 minute explanation into an awesome episode.

I feel like the point was that Nora may well be making everything up. Throughout the show, we see people trying to find meaning and logic behind the departure. They put their faith in any explanation they get, that they can cling to in order to find peace.

Nora's story could very well just be another empty explanation. She may have just gotten scammed, robbed of cash and left behind in a parking lot. Ultimately, this is the story she tells herself to justify it all - and by giving it to Kevin, she gives him resolution.

Had they actually shot the story as an episode, I feel it would've felt like too concrete of an explanation to the central mystery. While the show has done episodes in other realities before, those were rather clearly positioned as a realm of fantasy. Giving the viewer anything but Nora's word would undermine the intentionally fuzzy nature of it all.

Eric WK

Even during Nora's explanation they replay her screaming before the tank fills. I don't think it makes sense that her story was true.

I thought the episode was great.

Absolutely loved it, although I didn't get quite as emotional as I expected. Really sad the show is over but I'm glad it wrapped up well. Mimi Leder did a fucking fantastic job directing this episode.

kaskade

Such an amazing series. Definitely would be on my list of top shows to watch. That scene of Nora getting into the machine was so damn stressful.

I expected a different episode but I expected that almost everytime haha. It was a sweet long epilogue, I liked it, some powerful scenes here.

I was reasonably satisfied with the ending, a few teary scenes, but the skimping of 2 episodes this season really showed. It felt too abrupt overall.

Epcott

I don't think it matters whether or not we (the viewer) believes Nora... what matters is that Kevin believes in her.

The Book of Nora... that's a clever episode name and good to bookend The Book of Kevin and close out the season/series.

Sanke__

They fucking had me

I was nervous and pissed until Kevin walked up at the end and told the truth

Worked out pretty great and sure, I guess I believe her

OrionX

I binged on the whole show leading up to this and I gotta say I really enjoyed it overall. Loved the music, it heightened so many moments.

The finale certainly felt... simple in comparison to all the craziness that built up to it. It felt a little anticlimactic, and not because I was expecting answers. Nora's "answer" was far more than I thought we'd get. I wanted to believe her, but I didn't. Ugh but they do seem to make a point of showing how much she dislikes lying so who knows. This show does ambiguity so brilliantly, it can easily be interpreted either way. I love that they technically gave viewers an answer to the mystery for those that do believe it.

I don't think it matters whether or not we (the viewer) believes Nora... what matters is that Kevin believes in her.

Agreed. And Kevin's hardly one to judge someone with a crazy story lol.

Shocked so many people believe Nora. Huge theme of the show (and highlighted several times in this episode) is people finding comfort in answers that aren't true just because they need something to latch onto

(Although I guess people believing her is in line with the show then)

This article put my emotions and thoughts that I'm not smart enough to actually articulate, into a coherent form that I'm just gonna link again.

This was a special show, and I'm really glad I picked it back up a nearly six weeks ago after I watched the first season.

Shocked so many people believe Nora. Huge theme of the show (and highlighted several times in this episode) is people finding comfort in answers that aren't true

FvP3uqU.png

None of it is true.

Kevin finally "found" Nora because he died from the massive heart attack. The whole episode took place in the afterlife, separate from those taken in the rapture. Nora figured this out, but didn't have the heart to tell him he's dead, or maybe didn't tell him for selfish reasons.

Then again, she does make it a point to mention that she doesn't lie in the beginning of the episode.

Ahh, I don't know what to think.

If Nora's been in the afterlife this whole time, she's definitely been drinking the water and thus wouldn't know she's in the afterlife at this point

BrokenBox

I really enjoyed the last episode. Loved seeing Nora and Kevin end up together, and I think I'll also enjoy chewing on the questions raised related to Nora's explanation of the LADR machine. I definitely agree the episode probably ran a little long.

I'm going to miss this show a lot. Very happy the creators were given the chance to finish it with this season. One of my favorites, for sure.

HoJu

That was great. Not sure what to think about Laurie being alive, that kinda makes her episode less powerful

Budget. And it would have lost the imagination you used to picture it.

It would have lost the entire point of the ambiguity. IMO, Nora definitely did not go to some alternate dimension. But they leave it vague.

That Sepinwall review hits the nail on the head over and over. Great job, great finale.

KingCookie5

Neo Member
Loved it. Lots to process tonight, but how great was it that they were able to make this season, after we wondered if season 2 was it. Cracked my personal top 5 for tv series

Chitown B

It would have lost the entire point of the ambiguity. IMO, Nora definitely did not go to some alternate dimension. But they leave it vague.

That Sepinwall review hits the nail on the head over and over. Great job, great finale.

Agreed, and I disagree with your take. But it's easy to be contrarian I guess. ;)

I see it as alternate universes splitting.

Most of it sucked honestly, it was boring and not at all what I was looking for (and I wasn't expecting answers) but I liked the last 20 minutes. A 70minute resolution episode for their relationship just didn't sit that well with me. Really disliked the butnahhhhhh Laurie is alive thing after a perfect set up and goodbye ep for her.

Oh well, season 2 will still always be one of my favourite seasons of t.v ever and S3 was mostly enjoyable. Kudos to the people involved with it over the years, they made a good one.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

The Book of Nora... that's a clever episode name and good to bookend The Book of Kevin and close out the season/series.

Exactly. Either way the fear of how things were left off was keeping them apart. The story gives them a bridge they can cross over together. It might be true, might not be.

Really liked the finale. Way different than what I was expecting, which is exactly why I love this show

That was great. Not sure what to think about Laurie being alive, that kinda makes her episode less powerful
Lindelof talks about it a bit in this TV Line Interview.

Both Laurie's dive, and Nora's story changed meaning a bit between writing and performance. They wrote it mostly sure Laurie had died, but when they saw the footage of the whole episode cut together they didn't feel like her motivation felt earned.

Then with Nora's story tonight they meant it to be completely ambiguous, but in watching her perform it he felt it could be taken as a legitimate answer. Still open to the viewer thinking of it as bullshit though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like not shooting the actual "traversal" is what makes it at least appear to be bullshit.

I honestly don't know if I would have rather had brief flashes to this alternate world, or at least to her watching her family from across the street, rather than just a pure infodump. (It could still be ambiguous, because maybe she just hallucinated/dreamed what she wanted to see).
But I suppose the performance does sell it.

Papito

I loved season 2 and would still rank it as one of my favorite television seasons of all time. From the beginning of the first two episodes of season 3, it just felt like the series was going into a different direction then what was alluded to in season 2. You had all of these supernaturally mysterious springing up like Jardin, Mary waking up, people seemingly having powers like that guy who can read hands, Kevin not being able to die, etc.

I did not care if they addressed the departure, but why create all these new plot lines in season 2 and not even acknowledge them in the end. I was not expecting answers, but Kevin's rebirths are pretty big in the show and had two episodes dedicated to them and they didn't mean anything in the end.

I feel like this episode only works if you really cared about Kevin and Nora's relationship but the show was more than that, or at least i thought it was. I cared about the overall strangeness of the world but that was all ignored for a character focused ending for a character i didn't really like all that much.

Chitown B

I feel like not shooting the actual "traversal" is what makes it at least appear to be bullshit.

I honestly don't know if I would have rather had brief flashes to this alternate world, or at least to her watching her family from across the street, rather than just a pure infodump. (It could still be ambiguous, because maybe she just hallucinated/dreamed what she wanted to see).
But I suppose the performance does sell it.

it makes the finale a schrodinger's cat. which I enjoy.

Ah, it's over.
That was actually not bad.
Big info dump in last 8 min. Never explained Kevin's miraculous returns, but whateves.

Yes it did... kinda, he had a heart problem this whole time. Which probably somehow allowed him miraculously survive not breathing or something

oatmeal

Banned
Really wonderful ending.

Will take some time to digest...I will be reading about this for a long time.

Top 5 show all time for me.

Top Bottom