• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Gu4n

Kind of off topic, but is there really no Dutch word for this? lol
None whatsoever!
Man, I find it weird that people say the game has no challenge at all when I find Normal to be difficult especially with some bosses. I say I even want to play the game on Easy. Oh well, guess people have different tastes when it comes to challenge. Because defeating enemies effortlessly is something I always strive to do in RPGs especially if it involves min-maxing stuff.
I'm very much in the same boat: since the stories in these games are so good, challenges (the more difficult battles) usually come up when the story is working toward a climax. At that point, having to redo the same battle over and over again ruins the moment for me. I'm not a particularly skilled player, so Normal is the right balance for me.
Wait I think you can in the options?
Nope.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
None whatsoever!

I'm very much in the same boat: since the stories in these games are so good, challenges (the more difficult battles) usually come up when the story is working toward a climax. At that point, having to redo the same battle over and over again ruins the moment for me. I'm not a particularly skilled player, so Normal is the right balance for me.

Nope.

The difficulties should have been named easy, normal and hard.

Normal mode as it stands seems geared towards people who don't want to learn any nuances of the combat and surrounding systems. Which is fine, but just label it as such.

Just finished chapter 1 .. Damn i love the way this game plays.

The chapter 1 boss was more like it , i was kinda disapointed after the first bandits but the thing afterward was excellent. Loved it.

Such a good set of characters too.
So enjoyable.

Bastion

I am almost done with LOH:TiTS FC and am really loving it. Should I play the second chapter before this? Is this a completely new setting and story or a continuation of previous games?

Shouta

No one bought Suikoden games even in their heyday.

A lot of RPGs that are fondly looked at nowadays didn't exactly light the world on fire back then.

Honestly, tech has changed a lot but what game consumers look for in their titles or their first impressions of titles really hasn't all that much. I remember folks calling Suikoden 2 generic back when it was released too and it's definitely not, lol.

I am almost done with LOH:TiTS FC and am really loving it. Should I play the second chapter before this? Is this a completely new setting and story or a continuation of previous games?

It's set in a different country and is a new story, but there are carry over elements that will spoil parts of SC. Play SC first, it's the conclusion of the story started in FC.

flowsnake

Is CSII harder than CS like SC was a bit harder than FC (although that was really only at the beginning I guess)?

I'm wondering if bumping up to Hard for the sequel makes sense if I'm finding it too easy except for one or two bosses. Of course I'm still in Chapter 5 so maybe there's a difficulty spike coming.

This might be a dumb question but does this game have spoilers for 3rd? After finishing SC I'm hyped to jump back in at the next starting point but I'm still hyped for 3rd and don't want any mega spoilers casually mentioned in this game about stuff I don't know about.

Varion

Is CSII harder than CS like SC was a bit harder than FC (although that was really only at the beginning I guess)?
No, because in Sen 2 S-Crafts are flat out broken.

This might be a dumb question but does this game have spoilers for 3rd? After finishing SC I'm hyped to jump back in at the next starting point but I'm still hyped for 3rd and don't want any mega spoilers casually mentioned in this game about stuff I don't know about.
Nah, not really. References to things in it, sure, but you're not going to dampen your enjoyment of 3rd by playing this first.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The only thing that 3rd mentions so far I've noticed is
the reason that Cassius was in Erebonia during FC, which is that the Bracer Guilds were being attacked. Bracers and their absence is noted frequently during CS.

Sitrus

1) What DLC will be available for the game? I know theirs a lot of little bonus items but is there real DLC like the (endgame spoilers)
vacation to Ymir?
or costumes and the like and if so has there been any information given on when they will be released?

The mentioned event was included in the Japanese LE as a drama CD which I think would have been better to include in the game as in-game events. It develops
Rean
and explains some of
his
past.

You can find a translated transcription here: http://eiyuutrans.blogspot.tw/2014/04/sen-no-kiseki-drama-cd.html

No, because in Sen 2 S-Crafts are flat out broken.

Nah, not really. References to things in it, sure, but you're not going to dampen your enjoyment of 3rd by playing this first.

What makes s crafts broken in cs2? I'd say in cs1 the characters who get them earlier are a tier above those who don't and they're as always obscenely strong but what did cs2 change to break them?

the reason that Cassius was in Erebonia during FC, which is that the Bracer Guilds were being attacked. Bracers and their absence is noted frequently during CS.
sounds good. Going to buy this tomorrow. Likely will get the vita version just because of the convenience :(

Varion

What makes s crafts broken in cs2? I'd say in cs1 the characters who get them earlier are a tier above those who don't and they're as always obscenely strong but what did cs2 change to break them?
Just the damage that comes out of them, especially a few chapters in when you have the crazy combination of domination quartz (doubles the damage of your first attack), Tauros master quartz (increases the damage of physical attacks and crafts (in the original it's just regular attacks)) in exchange for making your next turn come slower) and critical turns. Half the bosses in the back half of the game can be one-shotted effortlessly with them if you're using a heavy-hitter like Rean or Laura. On Nightmare.

Welp I did a stupid stupid thing, I looked up the opening of Cold Steel 2 and now I want it.

Like really realy want it.

Like thinking of importing it want it.

Like thinking of importing despite I barely understand any Japanese want it.

Edit:
The mentioned event was included in the Japanese LE as a drama CD which I think would have been better to include in the game as in-game events. It develops
Rean
and explains some of
his
past.

You can find a translated transcription here: http://eiyuutrans.blogspot.tw/2014/04/sen-no-kiseki-drama-cd.html

Oh thats awesome thanks I will read that tonight prob.

I think I'll end up refraining since I only beat Cold Steel once and I still haven't played FC/SC at all but damn that opening is sooo good (spoilers galoore in it for this game).

Pretty sure that was mentioned by the end of SC, and pretty sure even FC mentions that was the reason to some extent

Gu4n

Just the damage that comes out of them, especially a few chapters in when you have the crazy combination of domination quartz (doubles the damage of your first attack), Tauros master quartz (increases the damage of physical attacks and crafts (in the original it's just regular attacks)) in exchange for making your next turn come slower) and critical turns. Half the bosses in the back half of the game can be one-shotted effortlessly with them if you're using a heavy-hitter like Rean or Laura. On Nightmare.
I hardly used her on my first playthrough, but Millium is a terribly heavy-hitter as well. Though, the combination of Emma with the Murakamo master quartz and a bunch of ATS boosting quartz is capable of breaking through the damage counter's limit, apparently.

Gu4n

Do I lose out on anything important for missing side quests?
That really depends on your definition of important. You miss out on Academic Points (AP), which determine your academic rank and receive a gift from the Academy for each rank you move up. Not getting the highest rank leads to missing a trophy, and you miss another one for not doing all quests. You also miss out on additional chances to learn about the world. The carry-over bonus for highest academic rank by loading your save file in Cold Steel II is pretty convenient, too.

I feel the trails games are worth playing with guides to get 100% because every optional quest no matter how obscure always seems to add a lot to the story and world building I can't even imagine how the game plays if you miss them like skipping 2-3 pages every chapter of a story due to sticky pages.

I feel the trails games are worth playing with guides to get 100% because every optional quest no matter how obscure always seems to add a lot to the story and world building I can't even imagine how the game plays if you miss them like skipping 2-3 pages every chapter of a story due to sticky pages.

Well not every quest. Skipping the monster hunting or item gathering ones won't cause you to miss anything worthwhile.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is Rean the most amazing person ever for the whole game. I'm in Chapter and it's kind of hilarious at this point.
"How can you say that with a straight face?"

-Everyone, in every chapter

SolVanderlyn

Pretty sure that was mentioned by the end of SC, and pretty sure even FC mentions that was the reason to some extent
It was? I don't remember that at all.

Gu4n

I don't recall it ever being spelled out in those games, there's were just hints of it.
The beans are spilled at the end of SC's Prologue. The 3rd, however, adds fascinating details at the very end of that episode that could be relevant in future games.

omgfloofy

Banned

I want to add to Varion's comment real quickly, because this is so damn true.

I actually got really lazy because I would use Domination on Laura, and put her in reserve until I had a critical coming. I'd load her in, boost her STR to 50% up, and have her hit the critical on her first move with a 200 CP use of her S-Craft.

I saw, on quite a few boss fights, Laura taking out about 90% of the boss's HP in one shot. It was *ridiculous*. And I was playing on Hard.

SolVanderlyn

Chapter 4:

Gauntlet that used to support the eastern part of the city? I'm stumped. Damn you, Blueblanc.

Edit: Nvm I got it, that was actually super obvious

Rean is super amazing at everything but himself. He's basically Emiya Shirou.

1449061344758gfzew.png
such amazing quotes from Emiya Shirou.

SolVanderlyn

Oh my God Olivier

He even played the exact same lute sound in his intro

CANNOT STAND ELISE.

Rean is right with this reasoning, and she's a twit.

I want to add to Varion's comment real quickly, because this is so damn true.

I actually got really lazy because I would use Domination on Laura, and put her in reserve until I had a critical coming. I'd load her in, boost her STR to 50% up, and have her hit the critical on her first move with a 200 CP use of her S-Craft.

I saw, on quite a few boss fights, Laura taking out about 90% of the boss's HP in one shot. It was *ridiculous*. And I was playing on Hard.

Actual footage of Laura in action:

Teknoman

So its just fine to play this before Sky FC and SC, but anyone else playing this alongside Xenoblade X? Kinda have a self standing rule not to play multiple recent console RPGs at once...but its tempting. Especially since this has more of a story than Xeno.

SolVanderlyn

So its just fine to play this before Sky FC and SC, but anyone else playing this alongside Xenoblade X? Kinda have a self standing rule not to play multiple recent console RPGs at once...but its tempting. Especially since this has more of a story than Xeno.
They're two totally different types of games. I'm playing both concurrently.

It's fine to play it before the sky games, but I'd still recommend the sky games come first, if only because it spoils one of my favorite twists in the sky games pretty casually (though with good reason)

CANNOT STAND ELISE.

Rean is right with this reasoning, and she's a twit.

Rean is right with his reasoning, but not with his approach.
He's basically saying he thinks it's for the best that his relationship with his family be closer to that of an extended family rather than a tight-knit family because he cares more about the nobility bullshit than familial love.

He thinks he's doing them a favour, how cute.

Elise is a twit though, partly because she's too tsun to tell Rean upfront her preferred Option #3 :

Stop your whining and marry me, damn it!
=P

SolVanderlyn

Um, just a friendly hint

WARNING: DO NOT GO INTO THE SEN NO KISEKI II OT, SPOILERS IN OP

That is all

Top Bottom