• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Fan translations that would likely be written completely different than a company like Xseed doing them. That's the core problem with fan translations and this series, we have multiple games now with professional grade work done to them, the bar has been set fairly high. I wouldn't give 2 shits about playing anymore of these games if the only thing we could get was something significantly under said bar. These games would take years for a professional fan translation project, something that a very small number of people would be willing to do for free.

It's also not every day that we get a fan translation as competent as the Mother 3 one either. For every fan translation of that quality, we get at least half a dozen that are done by machines or people who's understanding of the original language is quite lacking and it shows in their work. How many would really be fine with playing one of the games, if the translation wasn't even close to up to par?
Not to lower anyone's standards, because you're absolutely right in that XSeed's quality is damn hard to match, but I'd take a half empty glass over an empty one.

Quick question regarding the platinum guide and the end of the game.
If you dont mind telling me, looking over the guide there seems to be an item from each chapter that says to keep for the final chapter such as "Puppy Strap at Lepanto & Co. General Goods in Department Store - Plaza Bifrost" what is important about these items? I def miss a few from previous chapters.

I'll disagree on the notion that if Ao is impossible to bring over, there's no point bringing Zero.

Zero is not as cliffhanger sequel hook-ish like Cold Steel or FC. There's many unresolved story beats, but it's still more standalone and tells a nice whole story beat on its own.

Not to mention that ending of Zero...whew.

bomblord1

Banned
Maybe I'm just stupid here but how do I go about upgrading my weapons? I see the option to modify weapons at the engineering club and I've upgraded them before but now it's saying I don't have the appropriate materials despite having 8 U materials. I'm selecting the sword upgrade but it's saying I don't have the right sword to upgrade??

Maybe I'm just stupid here but how do I go about upgrading my weapons? I see the option to modify weapons at the engineering club and I've upgraded them before but now it's saying I don't have the appropriate materials despite having 8 U materials. I'm selecting the sword upgrade but it's saying I don't have the right sword to upgrade??
You need the right weapon in addition to the U-Materials. Usually it will be the weapon you can purchase at the store during that chapter.

Eusis

At the moment, there's really no way to release the Crossbell games with the situation of Ao no Kiseki PC. There's no point in releasing Zero if Ao's future is still in the air.

Conversely, I think 3rd has like... a third (lolz) of the text found in Zero and Ao- each. Not only that, but 3rd actually has less text than FC and SC. As a result, it's a pretty easy jump to make- especially since I imagine that many of the fixes made to FC and SC can also be dropped into it to make it updated, too. Whereas, I think Zero and Ao- if the PC versions were released- would probably need some heavy work done on them.
I'm kind of inclined to think that if people are willing to stick with FC, SC, and likely Cold Steel I/II by the time 3rd actually comes out they'd probably be happy to deal with it to get to Zero and Ao. They followed the series not only to that point but at the far end of the spectrum, so I doubt they're going to be losing players with 3rd alone.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Chapter 3 complete!

Regarding one of the sidequests
why did the party have to fight the Creepy Sheep?! It seemed like they were just interested in what the normal sheep was like!
-.-

It's one of the stores in the 1st floor of the Student Union building.
That place updates its stock?!

Xenoflare

Chapter 3 complete!

why did the party have to fight the Creepy Sheep?! It seemed like they were just interested in what the normal sheep was like!
-.-

..... why wouldn't the building upgrade it's stock.....

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
..... why wouldn't the building upgrade it's stock.....
Cause in almost all rpgs shops are static! Like even the one in Trista. At the start of Chapter 2 I went in ta see if it had new armor available but no, same stuff since the prologue so naturally I didn't bother checking any of the other shops in town/campus afterwards. Just been getting new gear from each new town thinking thats just the way it worked!

omgfloofy

Banned
I disagree. If Zero has a plausible version that can be released (albeit with some work done to it) it's better than nothing. It would generate interest in the Crossbell games, and I'm sure that if - worst case scenario - Ao could never be brought over it would inspire fan translations (and general outcry, which I think is a good thing.) As it is, they're a mystical set of games people only know off-hand info about, so there's not much incentive for interest unless someone is already a big Trails fan; fans of Zero would clamor for the sequel, and their voices might have some power in various different ways.

The problem is, Zero leaves off with a very subtle 'fridge cliffhanger.' The more you think about it, the worse it gets. All of the first-game titles of each arc have some sort of cliffhanger. There's so much going on in it that leaving off without doing anything for the game would be pretty cruel from XSEED's part.

And to be fair, I'm not quite sure I trust fan translation operations with it. There's one working on Zero no, and I'm not entirely confident on their work at the moment. I've not seen anything to make me feel confident in it.

It would be completely irresponsible for XSEED to release Zero without knowing whether or not they would do Ao. If you go back to look into what happened with FC and SC, I can promise you that they would be very wary from repeating that again- because when they released FC, they thought they'd be able to do SC right away. ...but the situation proved otherwise.

As long as the PC version is just the Chinese version out there, and as long as XSEED has too many issues with getting the Evolution versions, our first thing to hope for, I'm 100% sure- is for Falcom to release it on PC.

Otherwise, push for some support to that fan translation group that's working on Zero right now. I'll sit over here and keep my eyebrow raised. Maybe they'll eventually prove me wrong. Hopefully.

Also, a major plot point in Zero and Ao actually calls in one of the larger sidequests that you go through in 3rd, too.

Not to lower anyone's standards, because you're absolutely right in that XSeed's quality is damn hard to match, but I'd take a half empty glass over an empty one.

I'll also admit that this kind of thinking encourages the translation work that we see with patches like for Nayuta no Kiseki. It encourages people to use shoddy machine translations with errors left and right just because people want to play them that badly... when people should actually be encouraging effort in the writing on them.

I've butted heads with people over the Nayuta no Kiseki translation, but it's still something I feel strongly about- it's poor to me for someone to not show any sort of real effort in all aspects of a translation project.

I'm kind of inclined to think that if people are willing to stick with FC, SC, and likely Cold Steel I/II by the time 3rd actually comes out they'd probably be happy to deal with it to get to Zero and Ao. They followed the series not only to that point but at the far end of the spectrum, so I doubt they're going to be losing players with 3rd alone.

Look at it this way. There's a possibility of Sen III being released either in 2016- and if not then, then absolutely in 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if XSEED would love to jump on that as soon as possible- especially with Cold Steel and Cold Steel II possibly being out here by the time it happens. If that is the case, then they probably wouldn't have the time to launch into another arc- especially one as massive as the Crossbell arc. Even if it's just in two games, these are the two largest titles of the series.

Ch. 3:
Oh goodie, more annoying OP kids. Zemuria is fairly overflowing with them.

Feeling sorry for Elliott, poor kid's resolved he's deep in the friend zone. :\

Chapter 3 complete!

-.-

You know what them fuckers have been up to in SC, that sheep's purity was in danger!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
As long as the PC version is just the Chinese version out there, and as long as XSEED has too many issues with getting the Evolution versions, our first thing to hope for, I'm 100% sure- is for Falcom to release it on PC.

Whether or not they can pick up the PC ports for the Crossbell games entirely depends on the license agreements. Falcom may be able to license the ports to XSEED directly even without releasing Ao in Japan if the licenses for the ports are similar to that of XSEED's scripts. Per Tom, Falcom owns the script and can use/license it without XSEED's involvement (which was how Joyoland was going to release the canceled(?) English Ys Seven PC), so they may also hold ownership of the PC ports. Or, XSEED may have to license the ports from Joyoland regardless of the Japanese version(s), if they are able to do so at all.

It's unlikely that we will hear any details about it, regardless.

The expensive alternative would be for XSEED to enter the same agreement Kadokawa and Joyoland entered with Falcom, and grab a license to port the PSP game over to Steam themselves, via a 3rd party port studio.

Vamphuntr

I feel the game is too easy on normal. The crafts are so strong in this one and you always have CP. If you spam delay effect craft on a character with high speed you more or less have infinite turns.

Whether or not they can pick up the PC ports for the Crossbell games entirely depends on the license agreements. Falcom may be able to license the ports to XSEED directly even without releasing Ao in Japan if the licenses for the ports are similar to that of XSEED's scripts. Per Tom, Falcom owns the script and can use/license it without XSEED's involvement (which was how Joyoland was going to release the canceled(?) English Ys Seven PC), so they may also hold ownership of the PC ports. Or, XSEED may have to license the ports from Joyoland regardless of the Japanese version(s), if they are able to do so at all.

It's unlikely that we will hear any details about it, regardless.

Only Ao doesn't have a PC port by Falcom. Zero did and they also released it again with Win 8 compatibility.

I feel this discussion is kind of circular. The main issue isn't solely related to the format but more to the popularity of the series as a whole. If it sells well you can actually work something out as it will be worth it. SC appear to have tanked badly and looking at the number of posts in this thread this one probably did too.

I feel this discussion is kind of circular. The main issue isn't solely related to the format but more to the popularity of the series as a whole. If it sells well you can actually work something out as it will be worth it. SC appear to have tanked badly and looking at the number of posts in this thread this one probably did too.

If we're going to base number of posts in a Gaf OT of all things, on whether a game sold well or not, then almost every niche game has tanked. The amount of media attention and stock issues the game had several places for the first few days, seem to suggest otherwise.

Vamphuntr

If we're going to base number of posts in a Gaf OT of all things, on whether a game sold well or not, then almost every niche game has tanked. The amount of media attention and stock issues the game had several places for the first few days, seem to suggest otherwise.

Stock issue in store is pretty normal to be honest. I'm sure no one expected them to stock tons of copy of a PS3 and Vita game. Outside of preorder they probably had very few copies in the first place. It's still available online ...

Didn't see a lot of talk about the Vita performance, so I was a bit surprised that the framerate in the first town wasn't very pretty even just running around. Is this about what I should expect for the rest of the game? Loading times don't really bother me so far.

Yeah I don't think GAF represent this niche well (anymore?). Lots of games keep getting made that barely get any activity on GAF.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Just finished the game. That ending... Heh. Now the wait for Cold Steel II begins...

(Major endgame spoilers)
Was completely blindsided by Crow's heel-turn. Was not expecting that at all, haha.

There were some rough spots, but I really liked the game overall. Hopefully the other games in the series can be released--the game made me interested in seeing things from the Crossbell perspective.

Vamphuntr

That's not a port by Falcom, it's Joyoland's port with Japanese text and the intrusive DRM removed. A PC release of Ao would be the same thing.

Ah, my bad. I was under the impression that this was a fixed version compared to the Chinese one. I would still take this over nothing though.

Didn't see a lot of talk about the Vita performance, so I was a bit surprised that the framerate in the first town wasn't very pretty even just running around. Is this about what I should expect for the rest of the game? Loading times don't really bother me so far.

It chugs every time you go in a big city. Eventually the seasons changes so it will stop chugging in the main town. There is a point later in the game where it appears to go below 20 FPS lol.

It's kind of frustrating that games like that seem to have wider appeal among the current niche gaming crowd than games like Trails.

At least Ys is pretty successful.

It's eternally baffling to me that there is like.... literally only one popular advocate for Trails among popular games media, and that's Jason.

Everyone else pretty much ignores it, even as they complain JPRGs are dead or how there's no AAA games on Vita.

I feel the game is too easy on normal. The crafts are so strong in this one and you always have CP. If you spam delay effect craft on a character with high speed you more or less have infinite turns.

Only Ao doesn't have a PC port by Falcom. Zero did and they also released it again with Win 8 compatibility.

CP can easily be abused from my experiences. Don't think I ever had a game over, if anything it's annoying when enemies or bosses can always cause poison, confusion, etc every hit :|

Also I really don't think post counts = / = sales. That's a extreme far fetch correlation...have xseed mention SC sales anyways? No idea.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
CP can easily be abused from my experiences. Don't think I ever had a game over, if anything it's annoying when enemies or bosses can always cause poison, confusion, etc every hit :|

Also I really don't think post counts = / = sales. That's a extreme far fetch correlation...have xseed mention SC sales anyways? No idea.

Not really. All they have said is that they "expected it to be a slow burn" and "won't make decisions about the future of the series based on sales so far." Reading between the lines, I don't get the impression that they were all that happy about the sales out the gate like they were for FC (their most successful PC game at release) or the earlier Ys releases.

But to be fair, the extent of the game's marketing is basically the occasional tweet or facebook post and that's preaching to the choir. They more or less said it's running on word of mouth, so they can't fairly expect miracles here. IIRC it didn't get a PS Blog entry like Cold Steel, and due to having a mid-week release it was kind of glossed over during the weekly PSN releases. (Edit: Actually it initially wasn't even listed, it had to be edited in later).

Meffer

I bought this on a whim and was very surprised by it. It's very good. I suggest it to anyone that likes Persona since most of its design are heavily inspired by that series.

Thanks, for the info. Sorry for asking a few off topic questions, I tend not to pay that much attention to sales and etc. however it appears to matter a lot when dealing with niche areas and I appericate the info.

I bought this on a whim and was very surprised by it. It's very good. I suggest it to anyone that likes Persona since most of its design are heavily inspired by that series.

Only the school sections, most of the game has different design elements than Persona.

Still even the school elements have its own style despite borrowing ideas from Persona.

Finished Chapter 4.

Olivier can say whatever he wants, but he's clearly aiming to brainwash Class VII into becoming Erebonia's next generation bracers so that he can relive the good old Liberl days.
:p

Chapter 4

Whew, that was quite the event on July 25th! I loved that Olivier made his debut to class VII in his old outfit, and that he's still making his hunter of love lines. I also liked that he revealed his intentions to Class VII, and that he was behind it. I wasn't expecting him to answer them so honestly. Lastly, Alfin really is his sister, poor Elise! :D

Surprised to learn that Sara was an A-rank bracer, and one of the strongest in Erebonia as well :eek:

July 26th, here I come!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Not really. All they have said is that they "expected it to be a slow burn" and "won't make decisions about the future of the series based on sales so far." Reading between the lines, I don't get the impression that they were all that happy about the sales out the gate like they were for FC (their most successful PC game at release) or the earlier Ys releases.

But to be fair, the extent of the game's marketing is basically the occasional tweet or facebook post and that's preaching to the choir. They more or less said it's running on word of mouth, so they can't fairly expect miracles here. IIRC it didn't get a PS Blog entry like Cold Steel, and due to having a mid-week release it was kind of glossed over during the weekly PSN releases. (Edit: Actually it initially wasn't even listed, it had to be edited in later).
I wish I could parade these games down the streets, complete with musical fanfare, handing out free copies as I go. I'd do anything to get people interested in them. If I never play the Crossbell games in English, my soul will never be able to move on after I die, lol. Especially because this game
keeps hinting at events happening over in Crossbell, and at a trade conference that's supposedly a big part of Ao.

The problem is, Zero leaves off with a very subtle 'fridge cliffhanger.' The more you think about it, the worse it gets. All of the first-game titles of each arc have some sort of cliffhanger. There's so much going on in it that leaving off without doing anything for the game would be pretty cruel from XSEED's part.

It would be completely irresponsible for XSEED to release Zero without knowing whether or not they would do Ao. If you go back to look into what happened with FC and SC, I can promise you that they would be very wary from repeating that again- because when they released FC, they thought they'd be able to do SC right away. ...but the situation proved otherwise.
I'd still rather have Zero. It might be clamoring for half of a story, but still. Maybe I'll just go buy lottery tickets, hope I win, and bribe Falcom with millions to port Ao to PC.

Chapter 4:

Heimdallr is beautiful. And there's Olivier! Or should I say Olivert? It's weird seeing him in serious mode like this. The Chancellor is being made out to be less of a villain than he's been previously, but I expect that to change fairly soon.

And of course, without delving into spoiler territory, there's the subtle Zero/Ao reference with Fie's backstory. These games, man.

Is Niethardt voiced by Cam Clarke?

The more games we get officially released the bigger the fan base can get and if we hit a "will never get this game" moment the expanded fan base may be able to pick up the slack and fan translate whatever version.

flowsnake

No, you should expect it to get worse. That's one of the better areas.

I guess it might have been worse in Trista earlier in the game, I don't remember.

Gu4n

About the Chancellor. He is indeed often portrayed as a villain, but in the end of the day he is just a politician with a mission and passionate about his work, at which he is really good. He tries to follow Liberl's example in modernising Erebonia and abolish the Nobility's powers but the Empire is much larger than the Kingdom, and its aristocracy is historically much more powerful. He has a clear goal and lives to realise those dreams, making him unique in a world of people still finding themselves.

That's not good. I assume the PS3 version is better in that regard?
Chapter 5 contains fog and runs shabby on both platforms, that much I can say.

jb1234

Bought this because I'm Falcom's bitch. My opening impressions are that it's basically a more refined Trails: FC (the only other game in the series I've played), which is to be expected. Battle system seems faster, which I deeply appreciate. And that first dungeon track is badass as hell.

Taruranto

I still believe we'll get the Crossbell games somehow. I mean, if someone told me I'd be playing Sen in 2015 in English some time ago I would have laughed in his face.

Believe!

omgfloofy

Banned
It's eternally baffling to me that there is like.... literally only one popular advocate for Trails among popular games media, and that's Jason

It's because a lot of media sites are very western oriented and have seemed to have a strong disdain for Japanese games unless they are very different/rock the boat/shake things up.

It's eternally baffling to me that there is like.... literally only one popular advocate for Trails among popular games media, and that's Jason.

Everyone else pretty much ignores it, even as they complain JPRGs are dead or how there's no AAA games on Vita.

Well, this isn't a AAA game. The production values are fairly low, technically it's kind of janky, voice acting is inconsistently present. When many Western fans talk about wanting better JRPGs, what they seem to mean is a really large, really pretty, fully explorable world such as Xenoblade Chronicles X, and with its MMO design principles Xenoblade also appeals more broadly on a gameplay level.

Well, this isn't a AAA game. The production values are fairly low, technically it's kind of janky, voice acting is inconsistently present. When many Western fans talk about wanting better JRPGs, what they seem to mean is a really large, really pretty, fully explorable world such as Xenoblade Chronicles X, and with its MMO design principles Xenoblade also appeals more broadly on a gameplay level.

I'm talking by handheld standards. Trails CS is not a highly polished experience, but it's still up there in terms of production values for games on a portable platform.

And while I agree with what you say, I'm not talking from that perspective. Tangentially, I agree with omgfloofy that games media as a whole doesn't care for the current slate of JRPGs, bar some exceptions like Xenoblade & Persona. And nowadays even interest in Final Fantasy (from said influencers) feel born out of the franchise's legacy more than anything else.

But there's still always those fringe folk who talk about stuff like FFVI, Chrono Trigger. The Austin Walkers & Shane Bettenhausens of their respective outlets. But even said folks seem to be sleeping on Trails as a whole. Nostalgia tinge is strong in the JRPG games media space & it's somewhat frustrating when something like Trails of CS comes out, and practically none of them seem to realise it at all. Granted, marketing is very muted and this naturally impacts their ability to know about it as well, but it's still disappointing.

Top Bottom