• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Painguy

So I did some quick math. Figured out i spent 340 days of in game time to defeat ganon. How long has everyone elses adventure take?

Red

Managed to land on the back of the camel, but don't think it is possible to enter until you go through the Gerudo quest. I just bounced around til he shocked me.

Also: what's the deal with this flight range? I stumbled into it tonight, and I'm pretty sure I hit all the targets, but nothing happened.

watershed

Banned
Did any npc ever mention the bed built into the eastern reservoir in Zora's Domain? It's a really cool looking lakeside bed, and I wonder if there's any in-game history or lore tied to it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Done! All shrines complete, maxed all armor, all quests done and all memories found. Number of guides used, zero! What a fantastic experience. Need to unpack everything but feeling like this is in my top 10 of all time. Maybe top 3. Kinda sad it's over. Guess I could always go for all Koroks.

jariw

For people asking me about dragon roost island, if u look at the wind waker map, it's basically the BOTW map rotated by 90 degrees

Hyrule castle is where it is in botw, spectacle island is where spectacle rock is in botw, and dragon roost island is where rito village is at. Great Deku tree in WW is basically in the same place as in botw. Also there are references to WW characters in botw. Also one last detail is that Gale island is in the same relative position to dragon roost as the windy training grounds are to rito village.

And Outset Island then becomes where Link's house is in BotW. Brilliant discovery!

Cool, I'll look into it.

I still haven't found a pot to cook. And is there some place with recipes where I can look up dishes? I have all these ingredients I don't know what to do with. I haven't cook up anything so far.

Cooking places are everywhere... Most of them are already lit. Reading the descriptions of the ingredients (and how they are named) and testing is the best approach for recipes at the start IMO. More advanced recipes can be found
at stables
, or by analyzing food gifts, and a very few quest-based dishes are found in books. EDIT: Some NPCs will tell you recipes as well.

Some dishes like omelets use the common ingredients for such dishes.

So I did some quick math. Figured out i spent 340 days of in game time to defeat ganon. How long has everyone elses adventure take?

10-20 years for me, probably. I've used campfires a lot.
But the NPCs still refer to what happened 100 years ago.

piggychan

>__>

Not sure I want to donate that much..

DA6aMH_UIAAnM3_.jpg:large

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
8... more... shrines...

A friend had mercy and told me about (shrine location spoilers)
the one inside of the castle
, but that's it.

What's everyone's approach been to armor? I feel like I'm missing something obvious in my approach. I'm still using the Champion's tunic with boosted defense from a fairy, some basic pants and a headpiece that boosts climbing speed. I feel like my armor is really low. Worried that Ganon would destroy me.

I know there's shops that sell armor, but none seem much better than what I have or serve one specific purpose (fire resistance, cold etc).

Red

I use barbarian armor most of the time. I don't have its combo bonus yet. Sometimes I switch to the rubber suit, because it's the only one I have completely upgraded and it offers better defense. I don't switch to anything else unless I need a location specific buff, like heat protection or faster swimming.

Anteo

What's everyone's approach been to armor? I feel like I'm missing something obvious in my approach. I'm still using the Champion's tunic with boosted defense from a fairy, some basic pants and a headpiece that boosts climbing speed. I feel like my armor is really low. Worried that Ganon would destroy me.

I know there's shops that sell armor, but none seem much better than what I have or serve one specific purpose (fire resistance, cold etc).

Ganon is weaker than a lynel. Lvl 2 hylian knight armor and 8 hearts is more than enough.

I use barbarian armor most of the time. I don't have its combo bonus yet. Sometimes I switch to the rubber suit, because it's the only one I have completely upgraded and it offers better defense. I don't switch to anything else unless I need a location specific buff, like heat protection or faster swimming.

How did you come across it though? I feel like I'm missing obvious side quests for things like that.

-MB-

Managed to land on the back of the camel, but don't think it is possible to enter until you go through the Gerudo quest. I just bounced around til he shocked me.

Also: what's the deal with this flight range? I stumbled into it tonight, and I'm pretty sure I hit all the targets, but nothing happened.

Gotta talk to Teba there to start it. It does nothign if you just go there and shoot at them. It is part of the Divine Beast quest.

Decided to use a guide for the last 10 shrines and finished the Hyrule compendium thanks to good old cash. Link looks super adorable in the Wild outfits. I love the art in this game so much.

Don't feel like upgrading all my armor when Ancient Armor is the best and that's already max. I have all the sets upgraded to thir bonus effect minus the wild ones because I cant hit the bronze side of Farosh.

Hope dlc 1 comes out at E3. Actually excited about hardmode and will even try to three heart challenge in that mode. I should check what my playtime of this game is now since the beginning of this month was 150 but I've been playing an hour or two at leasr every day.

Been playing this for about two weeks now. What a blast. Truly a relaxing game to just lose yourself in. Haven't gotten very far. I'm gonna say I've spent maybe 40-50 hours so far playing. Completed
Divine Beast Vah Ruta
which was fun, then ran the entire world to unlock the entire map. Exploring little bits here and there as I go. Stumbled upon Lurelin Village today while exploring the beaches in the southeast. Such a cozy little town tucked away down here!

Am I doing something wrong? When one of my bows breaks, the game doesn't automatically switch to another bow. Instead, I have to go to my inventory to equip it.

If that's how it's intended, it's very annoying.

I just started breath of the wild yesterday, played it for a solid 10 hours, and the reason I stopped was my wife came home from work. I've just passed the point of getting the glider and about to make my way to Kokiri( spelling?) forest past the dueling peaks.

But holy fuck man, the sense of scale to just 'go anywhere' and let the story unfold at your pace is a feeling I can't say I've had playing a game before. Maybe there's some other open worlds out there evoking such a feeling, but I haven't come across them. This game so far deserves every superlative thrown its way.

Now, what am I doing chatting on neogaf?! Off to play more BOTW :)

RiggyRob

Am I doing something wrong? When one of my bows breaks, the game doesn't automatically switch to another bow. Instead, I have to go to my inventory to equip it.

That's the way it's intended I believe - you don't automatically switch to a new weapon either unless you pick one up. And yes, that's very frustrating! Seems to me like it'd be a small QoL patch just to make Link switch to the next available weapon.

Wait a minute. I just got killed by the first boss, and now my (already limited) arsenal is just empty? I broke all my weapons getting him to 1/4 health and I died.

Now I have to restart the whole fight, but all my weapons are gone?

What the hell? Wouldn't be a problem if there were weapons shops around, but that's not the case.

Am I forced to go farm for bows from enemies? The only reason why that boss killed me is because I didn't have enough bows/arrows and not because of the difficulty. Sigh.

Also a bit strange that I see a lot of guides talking about "bringing a lot of arrows" when the real problem is the bows. I have bows that break after firing four goddamn arrows.

Anteo

Wait a minute. I just got killed by the first boss, and now my (already limited) arsenal is just empty? I broke all my weapons getting him to 1/4 health and I died.

What the hell? Wouldn't be a problem if there were weapons shops around, but that's not the case.

Am I forced to go farm for bows from enemies? The only reason why that boss killed me is because I didn't have enough bows/arrows and not because of the difficulty. Sigh.

Also a bit strange that I see a lot of guides talking about "bringing a lot of arrows" when the real problem is the bows. I have bows that break after firing four goddamn arrows.

Cant you just reload a earlier auto save?

You can equip/change bows by holding ZR and then hold Right on the "d-pad". There are similar shortcuts for weapons, shields, and arrow types.

You only need to hold ZR if you don't have any bows equipped (like when one breaks). If you have a bow equipped you only need to press ZR once before holding Right to open the quick menu to select another bow.

Red

How did you come across it though? I feel like I'm missing obvious side quests for things like that.
Parts of the barbarian armor are hidden within giant maze structures throughout the game world, and that's all I'm willing to share. They are some of the coolest and most imposing discoveries in the game.

That's all part of the game. Collect better equipment if you are having trouble with the durability of your stock. Go back when you've gathered a more competent arsenal. No bow should be breaking after four arrows though. Even the weakest wooden bokoblin bows last a while.

Keep an eye out for soldier bows, those are good for the early game. Stalmoblins often carry them. Or get ballsy and take on a few bow-equipped Lynels and get ready to completely wreck anything that gets in your way.

Royal bows are good and durable, and often come with significant damage buffs, but they are tougher to come by, and lack the x3 (or more!) multiplier that comes with Lynel bows by default.

Do Fire-breathing Lizalfos on Death Mountain not always drop Red Tails when killed? I thought Lizalfos always dropped their tails as loot when killed, but I'm in the Abandoned Mine area now and I'm getting maybe one red tail out of every 5 or so Fire-breathing Lizalfos killed... What gives? Do they burn away from the heat? But that doesn't explain why some don't burn and I'm able to collect them. Is it because I'm using Ice Arrows? Or this area just has a lower drop rate than usual?

Edit: yeah they must have been burning up. When I started killing them with ice arrows only from close range I've been able to collect the tails every time.

Alright: So I did some exploring and I found a giant horse. Is there some sort of significance to the this horse or is it a new type of horse. It took 1 1/2 of my damn stamina to even take.

I also ran into the Farosha(?) Dragon by Lake Hyrule. I shot an arrow at it and it dropped a scale. Can I farming it? It was awesome running into it.

Alright: So I did some exploring and I found a giant horse. Is there some sort of significance to the this horse or is it a new type of horse. It took 1 1/2 of my damn stamina to even take.

I also ran into the Farosha(?) Dragon by Lake Hyrule. I shot an arrow at it and it dropped a scale. Can I farming it? It was awesome running into it.

I don't think there's any quest/story element to do with the giant horse. It's a great horse because it has unlimited stamina and high strength. It's not fast, but it can gallop at its top speed indefinitely without needing input from you or resting (that's infinite stamina), and it's great for crushing enemies by running into them (that's strength).

Yes you can farm dragon parts. I found a guide on YouTube that makes it very easy actually.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think there's any quest/story element to do with the giant horse. It's a great horse because it has unlimited stamina and high strength. It's not fast, but it can gallop at its top speed indefinitely without needing input from you or resting (that's infinite stamina), and it's great for crushing enemies by running into them (that's strength).

Yes you can farm dragon parts. I found a guide on YouTube that makes it very easy actually.

No, there's a quest that points you towards the horse.

Anteo

There is a quest that asks you to bring the giant horse

Beat Ganon today. Amazing end fight. Especially the
horse riding
which reminded me of this Lord of the Ring-scene.

But you could sort of notice that
the fight was cut short when you found all four guardians and they helped you. The cut in the scene was very conspicuous.

jariw

Don't read guides for BotW. Let the game itself guide you and play everything in it your own way. If things break, you just might need better or more things to be better prepared.

Press ZR again and when Link does that wtf is my bow press the right d-pad again.

Also dont rely on wooden bows/shields/weapons. Besides rusty weapons, they have the lowest durability. Any weapon that your magensis can pick up has reliable durability.

Besides the
Royal Family
weapons.

Press ZR again and when Link does that wtf is my bow press the right d-pad again.

Also dont rely on wooden bows/shields/weapons. Besides rusty weapons, they have the lowest durability. Any weapon that your magensis can pick up has reliable durability.

Besides the
Royal Family
weapons.

Good idea to keep at least one wooden weapon and bow for lighting storms though.

Not

Banned
Well, I beat it. I finally fucking did it. I beat it.

Just ten shrines to go. And it only took 3 months.

I finally fucking did it GAF. Just listened to the soundtrack that came with the special edition for the first time. 3 months, 150 hours-- What. An. Experience.

Time to dive in to all the threads I avoided!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thing is a beast. And I need to farm that dragon for scales so I can sell it. I only have 3,000 rupees so I need more.
No, there's a quest that points you towards the horse.

There is a quest that asks you to bring the giant horse
So what's the general area that gives the quest?

Not

Banned
Oh and I got the
true ending.
Didn't know there were
multiple.
I got all the
memories and dungeons and master sword and hylian shield
done beforehand, no way was I gonna miss anything!

Still proud of myself for never looking anything up besides
the path of the wind shrine and the Hebra skeleton cave shrine

Most satisfying thing in the game?
Delivering the final blow to golden Calamity Scorpion Ganon with a flurry rush.

Not

Banned
Done! All shrines complete, maxed all armor, all quests done and all memories found. Number of guides used, zero! What a fantastic experience. Need to unpack everything but feeling like this is in my top 10 of all time. Maybe top 3. Kinda sad it's over. Guess I could always go for all Koroks.

You're gonna have to at this point.

Man, even maxing all the armor sounds daunting to me.

So the more I upgrade my equipment, the more intimate the great fairy gets with me. I upgraded a piece to level 3 and she kissed me. I haven't found the last one yet so I can't upgrade to level 4. Is she going to Bilquis me or what?

How much prep should I do for Ganon? I have 15 hearts and have the Hylian armor set at 3 stars. Have the Master Sword. I feel fairly confident but this game has kicked my ass so many times I'm not sure lol.

Just passed the 40 hour mark. Would be playing more but I've been playing other Switch games+Hearthstone+Overwatch.

Not

Banned
So the more I upgrade my equipment, the more intimate the great fairy gets with me. I upgraded a piece to level 3 and she kissed me. I haven't found the last one yet so I can't upgrade to level 4. Is she going to Bilquis me or what?

Very close, actually. Depends how you view the flower she lives in.

I've only played through the game once, clocked in at 60 hours.

I really want to do another playthrough but I want the two DLC packs.

Have they said whether or not you can integrate them into your current playthrough? Like could I switch to hard mode when in50 hours in and can I go do the new dungeon at any time?

NSESN

Man I really like Sidon theme.
About the VA, It is better than I expected. Only Zelda and Mipha that are really bad imo.

dLMN8R

Two questions for you fine folks:

1) Is there a good way to approach Blupees to get the most rupees off of them? I've tried various arrows, sneaking up, stasis, etc. but I can only ever get one hit off before they run away too quickly, leaving me with only around 40-50 rupees most times.

2) What's the best way to get high tail lizards? Need some for crafting some upgrades but unlike the lizards you need for the Goron stuff, these lizards are much more difficult to find regularly. You can't sneak up on them because by the time you discover them they're already running away.

1) Is there a good way to approach Blupees to get the most rupees off of them? I've tried various arrows, sneaking up, stasis, etc. but I can only ever get one hit off before they run away too quickly, leaving me with only around 40-50 rupees most times.

2) What's the best way to get high tail lizards? Need some for crafting some upgrades but unlike the lizards you need for the Goron stuff, these lizards are much more difficult to find regularly. You can't sneak up on them because by the time you discover them they're already running away.

While both can be accomplished with max stealth food the easiest is to buy at least two sheikah clothing from Karkariko village. At max, you can walk straight up to insects and grab them.

You can also use bombs to kill lizards and they wont disappear just like any other loot or meat in the game. In fact the lizards kinda twitch on the ground...

Also I barely get 50 rupees while using sheikah armor. Can you repeatedly hit blupees?

Red

I think you can repeatedly hit blupees, but it's not really worth the trouble.

In addition to the quest that points you toward the giant horse, there is at least one NPC in a stable who tells you where to find it.

Man I really like Sidon theme.
About the VA, It is better than I expected. Only Zelda and Mipha that are really bad imo.

Yup.

I just got into Vah Rudania after 180 hours, and the game continues to mesmerize and blow my mind!

Screenshots I just took:

https://fb-s-c-a.akamaihd.net/h-ak-..._=1504007460_d8e7824c005b10ebdbf5179e61d4ed15

https://fb-s-a-a.akamaihd.net/h-ak-..._=1504916949_817e9c7e43c90bdcf07c227e79a6b0a3

https://fb-s-a-a.akamaihd.net/h-ak-..._=1505057549_227c8d9886e2bc205225d536cb7749c2

Also I barely get 50 rupees while using sheikah armor. Can you repeatedly hit blupees?

You can get a few arrow hits if you do it in slow-mo mid-air (very easy with the Blupee above Kakariko), a QuickShot or Falcon Bow helps a little, still won't net you a lot of money. I stopped bothering with Blupees after realizing this.

Top Bottom