• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

ChuyMasta

Does anyone know how to destroy the malice connecting the observation room in Hyrule Castle with the West passage?
It is the only thing in the way I cant figure out. That particular malice, once destroyed, would connect the west and east inner castle!
So frustrating

jdstorm

Banned
Thinking of getting a WiiU for Zelda. Is the WiiU version a big downgrade, or an equivalent experience?

If you do buy a WiiU for Zelda the main reason to do it is probably so you can have a legitimate copy to run through Cemu. The game runs fine, but worse peformance and no portability are 2 significant drawbacks.

As far as visuals go, the WiiU version is perfectly fine. Im not sure about frame rates though as i am not sensitive to them. There are drops on a specific enemy type, but aparently that exists in both versions.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So many more shrines. I've only found half and have scoured the maps 😂

If you do buy a WiiU for Zelda the main reason to do it is probably so you can have a legitimate copy to run through Cemu. The game runs fine, but worse peformance and no portability are 2 significant drawbacks.

As far as visuals go, the WiiU version is perfectly fine. Im not sure about frame rates though as i am not sensitive to them. There are drops on a specific enemy type, but aparently that exists in both versions.
Haven't noticed any framerate drops on Switch fighting any enemy type. Only very rarely in town.

jariw

It's a huge time waster, that's what it is.

I did it on the 2nd try, a total of around 5 minutes playtime? I now see several other approaches to this quest that'll make it really easy.
I used the stealth armor and stasis+ for spying (IIRC)

Red

To be fair the patches did help, at release the game slightly stuttered at times when fighting moblins.
This still happens even on Switch. The game momentarily gets locked up if Moblins are knocked to a different level of elevation.

Stay back a fair way and use stasis to highlight where he is.

Think I got it on second go ����*♂️

Doesn't work. I'm not crouching if I use stasis. Oh, it's no problem to see where he is btw^^. I always get caught or I'm taking the wrong route into the fog.

It's one of the worst quests ever and I have no idea why it is in the game tbh.

edit: Nah, I'm done with this stupid quest. Not going to touch it again, it's a waste of time.

jariw

Doesn't work. I'm not crouching if I use stasis. Oh, it's no problem to see where he is btw^^. I always get caught or I'm taking the wrong route into the fog.

How can you take the wrong route, if you see where he is? You shouldn't need to crouch (unless he turns around) if you apply some sort stealth mechanism.

Anteo

I got that quests on my second try. I only failed because I didnt know how close I could stand to the korok. I dont understand what makes it difficult really.

Edit: you have to take the same path as the korok. Why are you walking into the fog?

How can you take the wrong route, if you see where he is? You shouldn't need to crouch (unless he turns around) if you apply some sort stealth mechanism.

He turns around multiple times out of nowhere and sees me. I get lost in the fog even when I try to hide behind a tree. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. It's frustrating.

azyless

I got it on my second try. First time there was a wolf in the way and the korok wouldn't move, and then he saw me when I tried to shoot the wolf.

jariw

He turns around multiple times out of nowhere and sees me. I get lost in the fog even when I try to hide behind a tree. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. It's frustrating.

When I tried it, he only turned around once, and I think that was scripted, since I was pretty far back.

What kind of stealth mechanism do you use? Armor or potion? At what star-level?

This game really comes together once you know what you're doing and have access to good weapons. I have two Divine Beasts under control and 60 shrines completed. I can take on Lynels now for some juicy farming. 85 hours so far.

When I tried it, he only turned around once, and I think that was scripted, since I was pretty far back.

What kind of stealth mechanism do you use? Armor or potion? At what star-level?

Neither. I read it doesn't work in this mission (and it didn't work when I tried it the first time). Potion and armor are pretty much useless during this quest. That's what everyone told me, lol.

bomma_man

It's one of the worst quests ever and I have no idea why it is in the game tbh.

edit: Nah, I'm done with this stupid quest. Not going to touch it again, it's a waste of time.

Neither. I read it doesn't work in this mission (and it didn't work when I tried it the first time). Potion and armor are pretty much useless during this quest. That's what everyone told me, lol.

How far away are you? I stayed like 50 metres away and he didn't see me at all, even when I stayed on the 'path'

Anteo

I thought the korok reacts to sound?

At one point I lost sight of him and walked forward until I realized he was right in front of me. He still didnt hear me or react to me at all.

jariw

Why would stealth armor not work on stealth missions...? I used my full stealth armor set (don't remember if it was at full 4-star at the time or not), and I could run behind him without making any sound that he'd detect. Of course, I still needed to make sure that he doesn't see me, when he turned around.

Red

I didn't have the stealth armor or any stealth enhancements for the korok quest. Did it on my first go. I didn't know it could fail you for detection if you remained crouched. I stayed close the whole time and he never noticed me. I got spooked once when it seemed like he saw me, but it turned out he heard a wolf.

Isn't there an indicator that appears above his head, like with monsters, that fills as he grows more suspicious? Just go behind a tree before the mark fills up.

Greedings

I didn't have the stealth armor or any stealth enhancements for the korok quest. Did it on my first go. I didn't know it could fail you for detection if you remained crouched. I stayed close the whole time and he never noticed me. I got spooked once when it seemed like he saw me, but it turned out he heard a wolf.

Isn't there an indicator that appears above his head, like with monsters, that fills as he grows more suspicious? Just go behind a tree before the mark fills up.

I got it the second time. First I was staying way too close, and he turned around and ran straight into me. After that I stayed back, and it was fine.

Still a bullshit quest though. Not fun in the slightest.

Red

I didn't mind it and appreciated the change of pace. The only annoyance I had was the lack of visibility, but that's often a problem with the game at large. The sight lines are great and landmarks are cleverly placed, but the picture is too washed out and muddy.

What's Cemu?

Well, I finished the story last night. Definitely one of my favorite games of all time at this point. No open world has had me wanting to do every side mission or explore every nook and cranny. I usually give open world games up after a few hours. Not this one.

About the final area -
I feel like I cheated my self on exploring Hyrule Castle.
I went in through what looked like a basement/dungeon and started from exploring.
Eventually I got out of there and just started climbing. I didn't intend to, but I wandered in to a room and Calamity Ganon showed up. Anyone else do something similar?

Also, is there a way to get my save off of my Wii U for use in Cemu? I might sell my Wii U now and put it towards a Switch, but I definitely at some point want to go back and get ever shrine.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Actually popped this in and played for 2-3 hours the other day for the first time in a couple months after getting bored and burnt out on it. Actually had a lot of fun and for once I had good luck exploring regions I hadn't spent much time in and found 7 or 8 shrines.

I think that finally pinpoints my main issue with the game (aside from lack of traditional 3d Zelda dungeons)--the world is just too big for the meaninful content in it (shrines really as I don't care about Korok seeds, enemy camps with worthless loot etc.).

It's great when I'm exploring a region that has a fair amount of shrines and I'm finding them pretty regularly. It bores me to tears when I'm just exploring more barren areas (or maybe shrines are just too hidden there for me) and not finding any content I care about.

Hopefully the sequel is a bit tighter. Add real dungeons, put more shrine-like content and fewer empty spaces around the world. I know many love exploring open worlds even if mostly empty, but that's just not my cup of tea. Especially in games with cartoonish art styles as I'm not stopping and taking in the scenery like I am in something like Horizon or Witcher 3.

jariw

tips for new players?

Create your own adventure! After leaving the plateau, there's no "correct" direction or correct approach. But try to talk to everyone you encounter. Collect everything, it's likely that it'll be of value later on. Try to find the hidden koroks in the environment, it will help you to pay more attention to the surroundings. Test new crazy stuff. If stuff becomes boring, do something different or try to do stuff differently. It's your adventure.

If you want a more spoilerish suggestion on what to do first:
It's a good approach to follow the suggested "story line" until the first lab in the southeast. That's a spot that will expand the game's abilities.

I heard/read this from so many people. My friend discovered a stable after like 250 hours, lol.

Yeah I will probably play this game forever. Even when there's nothing more to do. Just wandering around for 30-60 minutes enjoying the atmosphere + visiting places I haven't been in a long time and talk to people.

Is there a more modern & successful way of farming Star Fragments than going atop the Dual Peaks and looking out over Hyrule Field all night? I feel this only works like once every six tries for me and it's so infuriatingly time consuming.

Lynels hardly ever drop fragments for me either, and I have all the ones hidden in the world :(

dLMN8R

Thinking of getting a WiiU for Zelda. Is the WiiU version a big downgrade, or an equivalent experience?

I played ~110 hours of the game on Wii U, beat it, and loved it so much that I finally bought a Switch and have now played that version for another 50-60 hours...

If you don't have a Wii U now, I'd recommend just saving up to get a Switch instead. The Wii U version is perfectly fine and plays great if you already have a Wii U, but if you're buying a brand new system - even a Wii U at a discount - the Switch version is just so much better because of the portability IMO.

(Unless you have a huge backlog of other Wii U games you also want to play, of course!)

Is there a more modern & successful way of farming Star Fragments than going atop the Dual Peaks and looking out over Hyrule Field all night? I feel this only works like once every six tries for me and it's so infuriatingly time consuming.

Lynels hardly ever drop fragments for me either, and I have all the ones hidden in the world :(

I think the chance of having a star fragment fall is greatly increased on a night with a full moon. There's a man at the dueling peaks stable that will tell you what's tonight's​ moon will be.

How/when can I buy pictures for my Hyrule Compendium? I'm trying to find some Smotherwing Butterflies using the Sheika sensor but I don't have a picture of them and can't seem to locate any in the wild. I had some before but used them for upgrades, and it's not one of those things that you can easily drop on the floor and take a picture of (they fly away).

Anteo

How/when can I buy pictures for my Hyrule Compendium? I'm trying to find some Smotherwing Butterflies using the Sheika sensor but I don't have a picture of them and can't seem to locate any in the wild. I had some before but used them for upgrades, and it's not one of those things that you can easily drop on the floor and take a picture of (they fly away).

Hateno lab.
Except the bosses pictures. those unlock after beating ganon

Hateno lab.
Except the bosses pictures. those unlock after beating ganon

Just went there, was disappointed to find out that you can't choose which picture to buy, only a category and you get a random picture :/

I could afford to buy them all but I don't want to, I'd like to fill my album by myself but I just wanted a picture of this one butterfly... I guess I'll Google where to find it.

bomma_man

Just watched the e3 2014 reveal again - is that area even in the game? It's a shame the npc farmers didn't make it into the game. As it is the line between friendly, side quest giving areas and the hostile wild seems very binary.

Top Bottom