• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

watershed

Banned
Question concerning meeting characters out of the prescribed sequence:
Is it not possible to meet Robbie and his wife before Purah tells you about them? I went to the Akkala Ancient Lab out of sequence but there is no one there. I was able to meet Purah and her assistant out of sequence.

Red

Question concerning meeting characters out of the prescribed sequence:
Is it not possible to meet Robbie and his wife before Purah tells you about them? I went to the Akkala Ancient Lab out of sequence but there is no one there. I was able to meet Purah and her assistant out of sequence.
Nope. You have to go in order.

TheMoon

This is true for the Wii U version as well? Should have specified originally I guess.

Well no, not in the same way. There are still no differences between any version, though. Default languages are always determined by your system settings, btw. No matter where you play.

DonShula

Found the
Forgotten Temple
for the first time yesterday. Cool place. Looks like it used to be part of a larger dungeon earlier in development.

Another good place for
guardian part
farming.

I'm beginning to detest Tarrey Town.

It's supposed to be my town but every time I visit I'm only reminded of the 100 trees I had to chop or blow up to bring it to being.

W-00

I'm beginning to detest Tarrey Town.

It's supposed to be my town but every time I visit I'm only reminded of the 100 trees I had to chop or blow up to bring it to being.

Yeah, I hated getting the wood for Tarrey Town, too. I managed to spare a number of trees by getting wood from some of the stables and harvesting some already-cut logs (primarily from the stable near
Rito Village
and near a Hinox to the
north of Hyrule Castle
. Still wasn't nearly enough...

Red

I had tons of wood from playing so long before ever getting to Tarrey town. Too many visits to the apple orchard at Mt. Satori.

After sitting on this ending a while I think the one thing I feel is missing from BotW is a real dramatic thrust or urgency for the player. Nothing seems hurried and too much of the world is untouched by the current incarnation of Ganon. In most cases the villages are only mildly inconvenienced by the divine beasts. Enemies don't encroach on villages and every NPC seems happy and well protected. A few key players intone ominous warnings and describe how scary the world has become, but there is no evidence for this. There is no emotional push forward, little sense of the stakes. This is maybe best demonstrated by the final battle,
where we are warned beast Ganon will soon unleash the greatest destruction Hyrule has ever seen, and he just stands there and marches in a circle, while the player is free to ride way out into the distance and witness himself just how small Ganon even in his beast form remains in the grand scheme of things. Ganon can't even aim at you, he attacks in a simple pattern and his beam doesn't travel far enough to cause what could be any believably dire chaos.

I'm not looking for a heavier emphasis on story, only more weighty stakes. The closest thing to what I want is in the Rito village, where
one man-bird is willing to take on the divine beast himself, despite the consequences of his death on his wife and children.
But this is barely addressed and ends up treated as a footnote in Link's quest.

Too much of the game is absorbed in hero worship of Link. Zelda's journals are all about Link. It's as if she has no life of her own separate from her relationship to him. I thought the Zora's reaction to his return was great, really great, but it's that kind of element that is missing in so much of the rest of the game.

entremet

What are the chances of them releasing the Soundtrack for this game? It's fantastic.

Nintendo is really stupid with soundtracks. Last generation they released them only via Club Nintendo rewards or pre-order bonuses of select tracks.

I'd love a disc set at least. I'm not holding my breath (lol) for Spotify. Nintendo needs to embrace retail CDs lol.

Okay guys, I give up. What's the deal with The Two Rings Shrine Quest? The only thing I haven't tried is making a ring of fire in the grass or something, but I'm all out of fire arrows.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay guys, I give up. What's the deal with The Two Rings Shrine Quest? The only thing I haven't tried is making a ring of fire in the grass or something, but I'm all out of fire arrows.

Shoot an arrow through two rings. There's a pair of rings that lines up, just shoot a single arrow through both.

Nintendo is really stupid with soundtracks. Last generation they released them only via Club Nintendo rewards or pre-order bonuses of select tracks.

I'd love a disc set at least. I'm not holding my breath (lol) for Spotify. Nintendo needs to embrace retail CDs lol.

They had them for the special editions of the game, but that's about it.

Shoot an arrow through two rings. There's a pair of rings that lines up, just shoot a single arrow through both.

They had them for the special editions of the game, but that's about it.

Thanks. Found it. Thought that was the solution, but I just wasn't finding the right pair.

jariw

Too much of the game is absorbed in hero worship of Link. Zelda's journals are all about Link. It's as if she has no life of her own separate from her relationship to him. I thought the Zora's reaction to his return was great, really great, but it's that kind of element that is missing in so much of the rest of the game.

The bolded sentence confuses me. Isn't only one of Zelda's journals that is about Link? And all the memories? IMO, Zelda's own struggles are pretty well fleshed out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The bolded sentence confuses me. Isn't only one of Zelda's journals that is about Link? And all the memories? IMO, Zelda's own struggles are pretty well fleshed out.

Yea. If anything the memories are all about Zelda's struggles with what's expected of her and how she wants to live her life. The journal as well. If anything she's got the most clearly defined character in the entire game.

TheMoon

Yea for real. All the narrated story is about Zelda. The only story about Link is the part you play and some general setup here and there. Zelda's the protagonist of this story.

BlondeTuna

So after about 150 hours, I finally assualted Hyrule Castle. What an epic experience: The atmosphere, music, encounters with the guardians, and layout of the castle was a really refreshing change, especially when you are at the point where you have completed all other main quests, side quests, towers, shrines, purchased / upgraded most of the armor etc (exploring remains fun, but at that point things get repetitive). The final battle felt really satisfying to me.

After I watched the end credits, I looked online and found that I missed the
Hylian Shield
. Looks like I'm going back!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hey guys, quick question: if I purchase the dlc, will it be available to all players with profiles on my switch? My daughter is playing through the game and I want her to have access to the content as will as me.

DonShula

So after about 150 hours, I finally assualted Hyrule Castle. What an epic experience: The atmosphere, music, encounters with the guardians, and layout of the castle was a really refreshing change, especially when you are at the point where you have completed all other main quests, side quests, towers, shrines, purchased / upgraded most of the armor etc (exploring remains fun, but at that point things get repetitive). The final battle felt really satisfying to me.

After I watched the end credits, I looked online and found that I missed the
Hylian Shield
. Looks like I'm going back!

I happened to go to the castle early and found that particular item. Been flashing it around Hyrule ever since. Gives me street cred at the stables.

jariw

Hey guys, quick question: if I purchase the dlc, will it be available to all players with profiles on my switch? My daughter is playing through the game and I want her to have access to the content as will as me.

Yes, it's available on every profile.

Can't find a generic Switch thread, but I'll try here: does anyone know what to do if both joycons have stopped working? The lights don't come on if I press anything. And yes, I've put them back in the console (in the dock) to recharge.

I used them just yesterday and they were sitting in the controller handle until now.

Edit: Nevermind, pushing the sync button made them come to life. Weird.

Wow Zelda sounds even worse in Japanese than she does in English 😒

Ughhh for the life of me cannot find this corrupted statue shrine. So tempted to look online......Am I blind?

Not sure if it's the same one I'm thinking of... but are you looking
at night
?

N° 2048

You can create updrafts with fire.
You can cook without pot.
You can clean rusty weapons.
You can...
You can..
You can...

It goes on and on.

SO MUCH I DIDN'T KNOW I COULD DO.
WHY AM I EVEN PLAYING THIS GAME?
I love it so much.

TheMoon

Van Naboris is maddening.

Anyone got any tips?

Firs tip: explain the actual problem. Then we might be able to give tips. :D

You can...
You can..
You can...

It goes on and on.

I love it so much.

This thread will blow your mind then: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352550

compiled summaries without having to go through all the repeats: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=239337819&postcount=1851

You can...
You can..
You can...

It goes on and on.

I love it so much.

I would check that one thread but it's been an absolute, child-like joy discovering a lot of these things so I want to wait until I beat the game and make my playthrough as "pure" as possible.

I discovered the bit about updrafts because I think it shows up as a tip in game, and there's a Korok by Skull Lake that basically requires you to get to the top in a hurry.

That said I'm curious what you mean by cooking without a pot (do you mean just putting the food on the fire and roasting it? Or is there something else I've been missing all this time?)

And how do you clean rusty weapons? I assumed it was possible given how much they pop up, but I assumed there was some blacksmith I took them to our an item that I just haven't found yet.

TheMoon

And how do you clean rusty weapons? I assumed it was possible given how much they pop up, but I assumed there was some blacksmith I took them to our an item that I just haven't found yet.

certain Octoroks.

There's a place on death mountain that basically tutorializes it through environmental cues.

N° 2048

I would check that one thread but it's been an absolute, child-like joy discovering a lot of these things so I want to wait until I beat the game and make my playthrough as "pure" as possible.

I discovered the bit about updrafts because I think it shows up as a tip in game, and there's a Korok by Skull Lake that basically requires you to get to the top in a hurry.

That said I'm curious what you mean by cooking without a pot (do you mean just putting the food on the fire and roasting it? Or is there something else I've been missing all this time?)

For cooking without pot I read this:
Drop raw foods on a fire, they catch fire and cook, the fire goes out and they are darker, if they are still touching the fire tho, they catch fire agai and if you do't recollect them before they overcook they dissappear, presumably burned to ash.
I haven't tried yet since I'm at work.

For cleaning rusty weapons:
http://ca.ign.com/videos/2017/03/21...wild-using-an-octorok-to-clean-rusted-weapons

Can someone tell me how Link isn't burning in the above video? Some type of armor or elixir?

Ashhong

Am I the only one that hates cooking? There's so many damn ingredients and it takes forever. Cool concept but I could do without it.

Top Bottom