• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Wurst

On the final boss.

Holy fuck he's kicking my ass.

Really?
I found him rather easy. I failed misarably the first time but figured out a good pattern the second time. Here's how I did it:

Approach him and hit him 2-3 times with your sword. Strike slowly. Don't waggle. 2-3 coordinated strikes. He will then attack you with two blows. Block the first one with your shield, wait a little bit and block his second blow with your shield. He will then be stunned for a short time and you can hit him more often. Repeat till he's into phase 2.

Once you get the right timing down he's fairly easy. Phase 2 was even easier.
Hell lot of fun though that guy!

jarosh

More and more I get the feeling that the only way to enjoy games these days is to just play them and not worry about the GAF collective's opinion on them is, because most of the criticisms turn out to be minor forgettable shit.
Especially with this game.
there is no "gaf collective". and why would you EVER let anyone's opinion influence your enjoyment of a game? if you can't engage in a discussion or read dissenting opinions without them affecting you like that, why bother with message boards at all? do you think people actively try to manipulate you? everyone has the same right to voice their opinion.

cajunator

Banned
there is no "gaf collective". and why would you EVER let anyone's opinion influence your enjoyment of a game? if you can't engage in a discussion or read dissenting opinions without them affecting you like that, why bother with message boards at all? do you think people actively try to manipulate you? everyone has the same right to voice their opinion.

I don't let peoples opinions affect my enjoyment of things. That is why I rate games like God Hand a 10/10 and NiGHTS Journey of Dreams a 9/10.

Anth0ny

Really?
I found him rather easy. I failed misarably the first time but figured out a good pattern the second time. Here's how I did it:

Approach him and hit him 2-3 times with your sword. Strike slowly. Don't waggle. 2-3 coordinated strikes. He will then attack you with two blows. Block the first one with your shield, wait a little bit and block his second blow with your shield. He will then be stunned for a short time and you can hit him more often. Repeat till he's into phase 2.

Once you get the right timing down he's fairly easy. Phase 2 was even easier.
Hell lot of fun though that guy!

phase 1 is super easy. I perfect him. phase 2 is giving me trouble. a lot of his attacks take 2 full hearts away O_O

do i need to skyward strike and make my sword absorb lightening or something? I think I did it once by accident...

jarosh

I don't let peoples opinions affect my enjoyment of things. That is why I rate games like God Hand a 10/10 and NiGHTS Journey of Dreams a 9/10.
but that's what you just said:

cajunator said:
More and more I get the feeling that the only way to enjoy games these days is to just play them and not worry about the GAF collective's opinion on them is...
"the only way to enjoy games...": this implies that you DON'T enjoy them when you "worry about the GAF collective's opinion". and "more and more i get the feeling" implies that at some point in the past you DIDN'T have the feeling, which would mean that only NOW it dawns on you that "gaf's" opinion SHOULDN'T effect your enjoyment. you couldn't have been any more clear.

Uchip

Banned
im at the
third dungeon
and so far all the people complaining about hand holding just sound like huge whiners

I picked up the game yesterday night and was a tad skeptical that the game would win me over. It's been more than a year since I've turned on my Wii and the recent batch of game on PS3 haven't really grabbed me. 30 minutes into SS and I was grinning like an idiot for having ever doubted Nintendo. From the gorgeous score to the beautiful art, the game just effortlessly exudes this charm that sucks you in, and I'm really enjoying the game's emphasis on characterization with this iteration. The motion controls really got me into the gameplay in a way that I haven't felt since I first played Mario 64. I made it up to the first dungeon and I can't wait to get off work and tackle it. I'm sure it's very early to call it, but I think this will end up being my game of the year. There's far too much potential in the controls and dungeons to translate into unforgettable experiences here. Hell, just removing the sword alone had me grinning like an idiot. :D

Spoilers for stuff past the 3rd dungeon.
The harp fucking sucks. Trying to do the thing where I help the girl sing and I only got 20 rupees once. So before I kill myself on trying to get a prefect I need to know it the reward is good? Don't need to tell me what it is I just want to know if I'm wasting my time.

apana

I'm at Eldin mountain right now trying to find the fifth piece of that damn key, plz give a lil help in spoilers just in case I need it later. I've noticed with previous Zeldas I would really feel anxious thinking about complicated puzzles or enemies coming at me but in this game I am really enjoying myself. The level design is just right in terms of difficulty and it is "engaging". You really won't find another company that is making levels of this quality in an adventure game, Zelda team is far ahead because of all their experience.

Bruiserk

I'm at Eldin mountain right now trying to find the fifth piece of that damn key, plz give a lil help in spoilers just in case I need it later. I've noticed with previous Zeldas I would really feel anxious thinking about complicated puzzles or enemies coming at me but in this game I am really enjoying myself. The level design is just right in terms of difficulty and it is "engaging". You really won't find another company that is making levels of this quality in an adventure game, Zelda team is far ahead because of all their experience.

go back to the room where you combust into flames. There is more than one path on the slide.

They will keep shipping the CE until january, which isn't that long of a period considering that a crazy amount of people will buy it for xmas presents.
Hmm made me think of how many copies will be sold during the holidays...

If we take a look at the franchise (in millions):

Zelda - 6.510
Zelda II - 4.380
Alttp - 4.610
Links:A - 3.830
OoT - 7.600
MM - 3.360
OoS - 3.960
OoA - 3.960
WW - 3.070
TP - 5.820

source / TP

Where will SS land? The Wii userbase has obviously grown since TP launched(which was in nov as well), but then TP was also a launch game which obviously helped to carrie out those huge numbers. I haven't really followed sales that much in 2011, but I kinda doubt SS will be able to pull off more than 6 millions, probably selling close to TP numbers if not slighty below.

Bit-Bit

Skydiving help please! Trying to dive down and get to where the
Rattle
is, but I can't get link to, you know, go forwards. How should I be holding the controller?

When flying hold down Z get to a birds eye view of the island below. Thank press B to stop in midair and then the D-pad to dive right onto the island.

apana

Zelda - 6.510
Zelda II - 4.380
Alttp - 4.610
OoT - 7.600
MM - 3.360
OoS - 3.960
OoA - 3.960
WW - 3.070
TP - 5.820

source / TP

Where will SS land? The Wii userbase has obviously grown since TP launched(which was in nov as well), but then TP was also a launch game which obviously helped to carrie out those huge numbers. I haven't really followed sales that much in 2011, but I kinda doubt SS will be able to pull off more than 6 millions, probably selling close to TP numbers if not slighty below.

TP sold closer to 7 million factoring in Gamecube sales. I think 6 million for SS would be very good.

The harp fucking sucks. Trying to do the thing where I help the girl sing and I only got 20 rupees once. So before I kill myself on trying to get a prefect I need to know it the reward is good? Don't need to tell me what it is I just want to know if I'm wasting my time.

Not that I know the answer to your question regarding a perfect run (I searched but to no avail) but i'm chiming in to say that the harp seems to turn to crap for that minigame, like it suddenly goes haywire mid song and there's no way to recalibrate, barely manged to pass after 3 attempts to finish the sidequest chain which at least had a decent reward. That said I like the idea of the minigame but I couldn't really work it

jarosh

easiest way to kill final boss:

1st part: stay close at all times. do not attack or shield bash. wait for him to attack. do a backflip. this will ALWAYS avoid his attack if timed right. now run forward and waggle away. you can get about 4 - 8 slashes in without him trying to block. watch out, as soon as he attacks again, do another backflip and repeat the process. after 5 or 6 of these attacks he goes down. this is 100% foolproof. he will go down without you losing a single heart if you do it right.

2nd part: do a skyward pose to charge your sword and then attack him asap and waggle away again. you might take a few hits but it won't matter. he is always vulnerable to the lightning charged sword and will go down in only 3 waggle attacks. you should have plenty of hearts left and only lose about 3 or 4 here if you brute force. you CAN use your shield and shield bash during the 2nd part if you want but it's entirely unnecessary and just prolongs the fight. don't forget to do the finishing move whenever he's down.

Bit-Bit

phase 1 is super easy. I perfect him. phase 2 is giving me trouble. a lot of his attacks take 2 full hearts away O_O

do i need to skyward strike and make my sword absorb lightening or something? I think I did it once by accident...

Second phase should take like 30 seconds to beat. Just hold up sword for a lightening powered strike, then slash him a few times, as soon as he recover, have the next lightening strike ready.

Busaiku

So just managed to get the Goddess Sword.

There's just one thing I'm wondering though...
There are female students, and there are also female knights, so why is this contest only for males?

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Lanayru Sand Sea area is...

FUCKING GENIUS!

Loved everything in it. The boss was quite fun even if it's directly taken from a pixar movie.

Bit-Bit

So just managed to get the Goddess Sword.

There's just one thing I'm wondering though...
There are female students, and there are also female knights, so why is this contest only for males?

I think Zelda was also a student at the academy and her role was to play the Goddess. The other female in the academy is an upperclassmen.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Finished it. Took me around 38 hours.

Amazing Game. Really enjoyed it.

Oh and lol@ people saying there isn't much side mission stuff to do. There are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many more than in TP.
I think some are thrown off by the fact that the sidequests and some minigames unlock over time, so the first few times you visit the sky it seems barren and empty.
There's plenty of stuff to do, though.

You don't need to be perfect. Being good enough is enough.

Getting 600 points on the pumpkin minigame is fucking impossible.
I did :p

thatbox

Banned
We were talking a few pages back about how the game looked on flat screens. Just so people know it's not their scalers or anything, this is what the game looks like running on a good, reliable 11+ year old CRT monitor in 480p at its native resolution. Some of the more annoying artifacts (like the screen door stuff and vertical lines, which are more apparent during movement) aren't in these shots, but I saw just as much of it on my CRT as on my plasma. The monitor is a Dell P1110 (a 21" rebranded Sony) and the component to VGA transcoder is a VD-Z3. I used a K-M Maxxum 5D DSLR with a 50mm f/1.7 on a tripod to take the photos, and just cropped in Lightroom after pulling down some whites in a couple shots.

Busaiku

I think Zelda was also a student at the academy and her role was to play the Goddess. The other female in the academy is an upperclassmen.
But the Goddess isn't always played by a student.
So there had to be a point where there were other students that were female that were eligible to take part in the contest.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I think female students can take part in the contest?
Karane wears the same clothes as the senior students.

Shiggy

zeldalight8feix.gif

Again, can this be switched off so that it does not try to find the sensor bar anymore while playing?

LATE GAME SPOILERS
I only have one Triforce piece to get. This has me thinking, since you have to go into the Spirit Realm to get the Triforce pieces, does that mean there isn't an actual, physical, Triforce out there? Of course I haven't beaten the game, so for all I know once you gather all of the pieces a physical one appears. SUPER LATE EDIT: I just remembered the Triforce hunt in Wind Waker...I'm stupid.

Gregorn

lol....thatbox is not playing with the "Pro HUD"....noob, or worse!..CASUAL!!!!

I can't believe his account was accepted on NeoGAF if that's how he plays games.

Way back to when I saw the first trailer I remember wondering why Link's earring kept changing, now I finally know why.

Boney

Banned

Zelda - 6.510
Zelda II - 4.380
Alttp - 4.610
OoT - 7.600
MM - 3.360
OoS - 3.960
OoA - 3.960

WW - 3.070
TP - 5.820

source / TP

the power of dual versions omg

Zelda - 6.510
Zelda II - 4.380
Alttp - 4.610
OoT - 7.600
MM - 3.360
OoS - 3.960
OoA - 3.960
WW - 3.070
TP - 5.820

source / TP

Best Zelda game is lowest selling Zelda game. :(

Anth0ny

Zelda - 6.510
Zelda II - 4.380
Alttp - 4.610
OoT - 7.600
MM - 3.360
OoS - 3.960
OoA - 3.960
WW - 3.070
TP - 5.820

source / TP

WW and MM numbers =(

Zelda:
-Crazy
-Pushes you off cliffs
-Passive-aggressively insults your bird flying skills
-Hears voices
-Runs away when you meet her

Peatrice:
-Checks your items

move the fuck over zelda

Caelus

-Go on forums
-Someone complains Zelda is still stale and that SS isn't groundbreaking
-Ask to explain why
-Says Zelda needs to grow up with the fanbase, there's a more hardcore crowd outside the Zelda fanbase that the franchise needs to gain the respect of
-Complains about lack of voice acting and realistic graphics

TheExodu5

Banned
Is there anyone who is playing Skyward Sword on a plasma that thinks it looks bad? Remember now this is the Wii we are talking about, so keep your expecations realistic.

Yes, it looks horrid. No TV is going to fix the bit depth issues in this game. The colors look terrible unless you're playing on Dolphin.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I've been playing for hours without a single ornament skull dropped from Bokoblins. I need some, damn it!

Kjellson

Three questions:

1. Is there any way to check if you activated all the Goddess Cubes?

2. When will you get the last heart container? I'm looking on a Piece of Heart list right now, and it doesn't seem like I have many left, even if I have three hearts left.

3. What are you supposed to do on the Bamboo Guy quest?

Thanks.

You don't need to be perfect. Being good enough is enough.

HHmmmmmm
I did the things he wanted but when I went back at night after do all that stuff he asked if I wanted to play with his daughter again. After I played good he said I did great but not perfect. I might just be paranoid about :p I guess lol. Off to do stuff!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Yeah, I'll probably make it tomorrow. I always fuck up when he starts to throw them further
That's what always fucks up my aim as well. That one time I was lucky, I guess. I also happened to get a bunch of
sparkling pumpkins (worth double)

By the way why was that short kid in Groose's room during the night? Zelda highschool drama confirmed.
He likes Groose's room better, IIRC.

Peatrice has a lot more than that if you play your cards straight.
Her character development is nothing short of amazing.

I've been playing for hours without a single ornament skull dropped from Bokoblins. I need some, damn it!
I think they messed up the drop probability. It's supposed to be a pretty common treasure, and the rare version apparently drops more often.

SO is there anywhere in the game that gives you a chart on where to find bugs/treasure? Or am I supposed to randomly run around the world killing/breaking shit if I missing a piece of treasure to upgrade an item? There's some treasures I only have 1 of after many, many hrs of playing so they're pretty damn rare. What do I do to mine a specific one? Or does Nintendo expect you to go online to find this stuff out?

Top Bottom