• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My shield broke on the Final Boss ;_;
What am I suppose to do when Demise gets electricity to surge through his sword?

The fight is really easy if you know the trick.

Here's the trick:
do not move away from him. Instead, move as close as you can to him. Then, as he attacks, do not attack but backflip instead. Attack him as quick as you can once Link finishes his backflip animation either by slashing left/right (doesn't matter) or by forward jumping attack.

Always works. No risk of losing heart. And best of all,
no need to gauge the direction of his electrical sword.

Funny how Wind Waker and Skyward are both rated "E". Makes sense right? Right?

Twilight Princesss was rated "T". Yeah, because really, it was dark as fuck compared to most other entries in the series.

I prefer that dark Zelda. Just sayin'.

Caelus

What's the deal with flying? Now I know I'm reading some massive hyperbole, because flying is one of the calmest and easiest segments in the game. It's so easy, too.

Flying kind of... sucks. You have to go up and down repeatedly. I wish it was more chilled, and let me go up without putting effort into it. Like.. Warhawk esque. I'd enjoy the over world so much more...

You don't have to go up and down. Just waggle to gain altitude.

Flying is boring, but it's easy enough once you learn the magic waggle move.

Hmmm, I'm playing the game on a 51" Sammy plasma at 480P and I think the game looks great. Then again, I'm not all that sensitive to aliasing, and the colors look very vibrant on my set.

I'm stuck trying to get to the 4th part of the key to eldin volcano dungeon. It seems I have to get down the lava river some how. Or do I have to back track? I don't want the answer just if I need to back track or not.

You have to dash through the hot room to the east of the temple gate; you turn right once you enter the room. If you do it right, you should only lose a half a heart. This is how you get two of the pieces. Then just use dowsing.

The flying section was really enough. If you tell that I can mostly ignore the bullshit flying segments I'll be ecstatic.

You can mostly ignore the bullshit flying segments.

Hero

Flying is fucking horrible in this game. Having to constantly dive up and down is just ridiculous.

I guess you hated the flying in Super Mario 64 then too?

Stopped for now, saved right before the final boss (pretty sure anyway).

So far the game has been pretty amazing though there are definitely criticisms regarding really really simple functionality like text speed not that fast even when holding A, not being able to skip through repeated text, fresh reminders of items and rupees first time you pick them up after loading a game. Such small things that could've been easily fixed that it's irritating.

Gameplay wise I think the worst part was the heavy underwater part
where you returned to the woods and it was flooded and the dragon made you swim and find the melody tadpoles or whatever she called them. By far the worst sequence in the game and it's sad that there were so many to find.

Really don't understand the hatred for the spirit realm segments either. I thought they were moderately challenging in the sense that you had to think and play well instead of just not caring about the consequences of your actions. I think between all the segments I only failed a total of two times. I guess I can see bad players getting stuck on these for a while though.

Varion

What's the deal with flying? Now I know I'm reading some massive hyperbole, because flying is one of the calmest and easiest segments in the game. It's so easy, too.
So long as I wasn't being timed I didn't have any problems with flying either. The up and down was easy, it's just a wing flapping motion. Couldn't pull it off that well the first couple of times until I realised that (which meant I spent most of the ceremony in the clouds not knowing what I was doing), then it was easy from then on.

Other than the swordplay I didn't really find any of the motion controls more enjoyable than just using regular old analog, but I didn't really feel them any worse either. Only exceptions were skydiving outside the minigame (just couldn't get the hang of this, during the minigame I could put the nunchuk down and it was infinitely easier to manage), the archery minigame (had to use a slightly underhanded trick to get the heart piece out of this one) and the (pre-dungeon 5 spoiler)
mine cart
minigame, where Link would just lean randomly in completely the wrong direction. These made up what, 5% of my playtime though? If that.

Tenbatsu

Am only at the second dungeon boss after 12hours, and I really like the design for both of them. Especially the Balinese music and style for the second one.

The fight is really easy if you know the trick.

Here's the trick:
do not move away from him. Instead, move as close as you can to him. Then, as he attacks, do not attack but backflip instead. Attack him as quick as you can once Link finishes his backflip animation either by slashing left/right (doesn't matter) or by forward jumping attack.

Always works. No risk of losing heart. And best of all,
no need to gauge the direction of his electrical sword.
Thanks for the help. Just beat him. Fun fight, fun game.
Beat the game in 35 hours.

DO NOT HIGHLIGHT SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT BEATEN THE GAME (unless of course you want something spoiled)

+ The graphics. Phenomenal. That's all that can be said.
+ The music is amazing, absolutely amazing.
+ While the combat takes some time to get use to, its great! works about 99% of the time for me.
+ The dungeons are phenomenal (even the first 2)
+ Wonderful story
+ Creative and fun boss fights
+ The Beetle and the Clawshot
+ Fantastic animation
+ Most of the characters are likable
+ Great writing and some funny stuff here and there
+ The Mogma,
Ancient Robot
and Kikwi race.
+
Scrapper
, Groose, Zelda and Ghirahim are all fantastic characters.
+
You learn that Ganon is just an incarnation of Demise
- Swimming controls
-
3rd The Imprisoned fight
I may add to this later...but damn was that ever a good game.
Can't wait to play Hero mode.

Caelus

What's the problem with the swimming controls? Is there a segment of the game where they're particularly annoying, or do I just have no problem with them?

Anth0ny

Yeah the flying isn't that bad.

I don't approve of the waggle and only having 3 carrots, but it's basically going from point a to point b, and nothing more. No enemies or obstacles in the way. Nothing to get stressed over.

What's the problem with the swimming controls? Is there a segment of the game where they're particularly annoying, or do I just have no problem with them?

Why yes, yes there is.

Reknoc

I think they're great, much like Endless Ocean only I don't need to be constantly pointing at the screen. Though I'm pretty close to the section people seem to hate, so I'll guess I'll see how that goes tomorrow.

Varion

More annoying than normal? Yes. Especially annoying? Not really, I never had any real issues with them throughout the game. They mostly worked, though occasionally I screwed up spins and had to have another go. That was about it though.

Medalion

Banned
I am making a lot less progress today than previous days

I left off yesterday at the very beginning of Larayru, now I am stuck in the middle of this huge sprawling desert looking for power generators to gain access to the underground mine to enter the
Temple of Time
. I found the first generator and activated that easily enough, but the 2nd one is in an area I cannot cross this huge quicksand sea and another way outta reach... I suspect I have to backtrack through previous levels but when I try too it is very difficult to get back with the current mechanics in place

Hero

It works infinitely better with an analog stick. The actual mechanics of flying don't bother me, but holy shit the controls. So bad.

Saying the controls are bad is implying that they did a poor job which they didn't as I and others have had no problem with the flying controls. You can say you prefer analog stick control but the two things you are saying are two separate, unrelated issues.

Flying is fucking horrible in this game. Having to constantly dive up and down is just ridiculous.

The flying section was really enough. If you tell that I can mostly ignore the bullshit flying segments I'll be ecstatic.

Flying is nothing, it's practically effortless. If you're losing altitude you just "flap" the controller once, maybe twice. Like you're giving a maraca one shake. That's it. There's no frantic waggling at all.

Other than that you just slightly tilt the remote to bank.

Tuck

DO NOT HIGHLIGHT SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT BEATEN THE GAME (unless of course you want something spoiled)

+

I don't see how this is a plus. Wind Waker's explanation for Ganondorf being evil was much better. It was more than evil for the sake of being evil. Though I guess you could argue that Ganondorf acted on his desires because of Demise. Whatever. Something like that.

I left off yesterday at the very beginning of Larayru, now I am stuck in the middle of this huge sprawling desert looking for power generators to gain access to the underground mine to enter the
Temple of Time
. I found the first generator and activated that easily enough, but the 2nd one is in an area I cannot cross this huge quicksand sea and another way outta reach... I suspect I have to backtrack through previous levels but when I try too it is very difficult to get back with the current mechanics in place
Just a general area hint:
Every one you are looking for is mostly in the area around the generator. One is a lot farther out, but not prohibitively so.

Temple of Time

you don't have to backtrack, all three are in that main large circular area. Bare in mind that you can walk where paths used to be... consult your map and leave markers at the path junctions with the C button... some entrances are hidden. Happy hunting!

Alchemy

Saying the controls are bad is implying that they did a poor job which they didn't as I and others have had no problem with the flying controls. You can say you prefer analog stick control but the two things you are saying are two separate, unrelated issues.

Opinions. How do they work. For me, the controls are bad. Does everything anyone posts have to be prefaced with 'In my opinion...'?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's somewhat impressive, although not in a good way, how people seem to overblown things that at best is actually just a minor inconvenience. It's like administering for ER for a slight wound that can be mended with a simple bandage.

My God so many overblown exaggerations here.

There's no reason for flying or swimming to be on motion controls. The controls are bad because they lower the experience of playing.

+

I think as others have said,
it's probably not just Ganondorf... although he is the one clearly evoked by the organ music in the build up to the battle, and in his fiery haired appearance. He says that his hatred is ever reborn, that incarnations of his 'hatred' will plague Zelda, Link and their descendents lives forever. I took that to mean that he is something like the devil of the Zelda universe, with Hylia as the... dare I say it... messiah type character. A god who made sacrifices to become the mere mortal Zelda, and watches over the Triforce and the balance. I took it to mean that not only is Ganondorf an agent of his evil, but also Vaati, Dethl / The Nightmare... maybe even the darkness that dwells within Majora's Mask. They all have their motives, as do the normal men who covet the Triforce, but those villains draw from the well of Demise's everlasting evil.

dcdobson

It's somewhat impressive, although not in a good way, how people seem to overblown things that at best is actually just a minor inconvenience. It's like administering for ER for a slight wound that can be mended with a simple bandage.

My God so many overblown exaggerations here.
Yeah, it's out of control. This is my GOTY, for what it's worth.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh man, I am LOVING the Mogma. Best Zelda race ever next to the Anouki (who should have appeared in this game's much needed ice-based area grrr), with a kick-ass theme and cool haircuts.

watershed

Banned
I'm surprised so many people are having trouble with the game. Are you guys not using dowsing or is it really that tough? This is the best Zelda I've played in a while and while some of the dungeons/areas are challenging in a satisfying way I haven't hit a road block yet.

Also swimming is eh, but flying is awesome.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think as others have said,
it's probably not just Ganondorf... although he is the one clearly evoked by the organ music in the build up to the battle, and in his fiery haired appearance. He says that his hatred is ever reborn, that incarnations of his 'hatred' will plague Zelda, Link and their descendents lives forever. I took that to mean that he is something like the devil of the Zelda universe, with Hylia as the... dare I say it... messiah type character. A god who made sacrifices to become the mere mortal Zelda, and watches over the Triforce and the balance. I took it to mean that not only is Ganondorf an agent of his evil, but also Vaati, Dethl / The Nightmare... maybe even the darkness that dwells within Majora's Mask. They all have their motives, as do the normal men who covet the Triforce, but those villains draw from the well of Demise's everlasting evil.

Yeah, I guess you can see Demise as being the one who tempted Ganondorf to evil, in a sense, not actually Ganondorf.

I don't think Demise has anything to do with Majora though...he's not evil, he's something else entirely.

Hero

Opinions. How do they work. For me, the controls are bad. Does everything anyone posts have to be prefaced with 'In my opinion...'?

You're right, everyone is entitled to opinions. Even wrong ones. Or you could've just said "I'm bad with motion controls."

There's no reason for flying or swimming to be on motion controls. The controls are bad because they lower the experience of playing.

Don't agree but hope you adjust to the controls. :)

Top Bottom