• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda ~The Minish Cap~ Nintendo Dream scan

AssMan

Banned
I don't want to jump to conclusions about the new Zelda for GCN since we know nothing about it, but as of now(=P) I think Minish Cap will be better as far as gameplay and art goes.

SantaC

Ah the official word from NoE is that Zelda:MC is NOT delayed!

Great news.

NoE's First Play and intended release date

Whatever you're doing right now, trust us, it can wait. So put that pen/phone/sandwich down and listen up, because we've got something you won't want to miss.

The final European version of The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap landed on our desk this morning, so we've compiled this exclusive report of our first few hours with the game (note: some minor plot spoilers are revealed). And, boy, are we in love...

From the word go, The Minish Cap feels comfortably familiar yet enticingly new. It boasts the 'toon-shading' graphical style from The Wind Waker, the top-down 2D perspective of Link's Awakening, familiar locations and characters from across the Zelda dynasty, and tops it off with Link's shrinking ability and new gadgets galore. Even after just a couple of hours, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap's superbly structured gameplay had us grinning from ear to ear.

So join us as we dive into Link's latest adventure, and check out the video link above for highlights of our first hour's adventuring.

The story begins, as always, with Link fast asleep in bed. His grandfather, Hyrule's resident blacksmith, receives a housecall from Princess Zelda, asking if Link can accompany her to the town's Picori Festival. "Don't let anything bad happen to her," advises grandpa as the kids set off. If only...

Every year, it is revealed, the people of Hyrule hold a party to celebrate the Picori - the tiny people whose magical powers helped banish darkness long ago. The most popular part of the festival is the sword fighting competition; the winner of which is allowed to touch the legendary Picori Blade - the weapon crafted by the Picori which now acts as a seal to a Pandora's Box of evil.

But the contest winner, a mysterious man named Vaati, has other plans. Seeking something within the box, he smashes the Picori Blade and unleashes its creepy contents upon Hyrule. However, whatever he believed to be inside is missing. Then, spying Princess Zelda - whose ancestral blood carries the power of light - Vaati seals her in stone before making his getaway.

Hyrule's elders quickly formulate a plan. A warrior must be sent to seek out the Picori and get them to restore the blade to its former glory. The problem is, Picori only appear to children. So, armed with his grandfather's best blade, Link volunteers for the job.

It's here that the game proper begins. As usual, Link's sword and shield are mapped to the A and B buttons, but he now also has a context-sensitive R button command. Hitting R while walking executes a forward roll. Later, Link will use R to pull switches or operate gadgets.

Link first finds himself in Hyrule Field, where he must head east into the Minish Woods. Not far on his journey, Link stumbles upon a strange green creature being picked on by Octoroks. When Link comes to its rescue, it introduces itself as Ezlo, who also has a bone to pick with Vaati after he turned him into his current bird-like form.

With no legs, Ezlo hitches a ride on Link's head as a rather fetching hat, and agrees to accompany Link as a guide (by pressing Select, Ezlo offers game hints). He begins by demonstrating his unique ability: to shrink Link to Picori size. In this form, Link is shown on screen by an arrow indicator, as he is only a few pixels high. But walk into a crack in the wall or a hole in the ground and the view switches to a new Picori perspective, where acorns are the size of trees and puddles become lakes.

In his new form, Link soon finds the Picori and - after eating a magic nut that allows him to understand their language - he discovers their real name: the Minish. They agree to re-forge the Picori Blade, but first they need the power of four elements scattered across Hyrule.

The first element - Earth - lies within the nearby Deepwood Shrine: the game's first dungeon. Inside, monsters and puzzles await the mini adventurer. One of the cleverest concepts we came across was a barrel (giant-sized to our tiny Link) in which he can run - hamster ball style - to roll to new areas.

Defeating Deepwood Shrine's mid-way mini-boss bestows Link with his first gadget: the Gust Jar. This magical piece of pottery works akin to a vacuum cleaner: clearing cobwebs blocking doors, blasting items at enemies, and sucking up dust from the floor to reveal hidden treasures. And when Link finds an expanse of water with seemingly no way across, he just jumps on a lily pad and uses the Gust Jar as a motor.

Once the boss key is within his grasp, Link faces off against his first end-of-level adversary, who will be familiar to fans of The Wind Waker. Remember those Chu Jelly creatures that you could dispatch with ease? In Minish Cap, just one Chu Jelly becomes a giant to little Link. How does he defeat it? Well, that would be telling...

Suffice to say that we survived to tell the tale, and headed back home to Hyrule Town for a quick snooze before commencing the rest of our journey. On the way, we met a man who sold us a Kinstone. These rare artefacts form a large part of Minish Cap's collecting side-quest, and you'll be hearing a lot more about them, and the rest of the adventure, in the coming weeks...

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap is released on Game Boy Advance on November 12th.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Good god is it impossible for them to just write early impressions without running down every detail of the story?

Those of you considering reading- it's almost all early story details.

Zilch

Banned
GDJustin said:
Good god is it impossible for them to just write early impressions without running down every detail of the story?

Those of you considering reading- it's almost all early story details.

Ruining the first half an hour of play!! OH GOD NOOO!

belgurdo

Banned
Another "Zelda's in trouble; go collect the shit" story. Ain't it about time this series got a more compelling (note to dissenters: this doesn't necessarily mean "darker") story to it?

the mind boggles why noe have decided to release so much in october/november, coupled with pc games I'm broke as a big broke thing that when to broke university in the city broke which is also the city of its birth

FoneBone

Eh, Anihawk seems to have instances of bad taste. He didn't like the Oracle games, and said he "hated" Mario & Luigi.

I can forgive him for it, though.

AniHawk

FoneBone said:
Eh, Anihawk seems to have instances of bad taste. He didn't like the Oracle games, and said he "hated" Mario & Luigi.

I can forgive him for it, though.

Mario & Luigi was a disappointment after Paper Mario and all the hype. The Oracles were also disappointments after Link's Awakening and all their hype, though I enjoyed Ages.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
AniHawk said:
Mario & Luigi was a disappointment after Paper Mario and all the hype. The Oracles were also disappointments after Link's Awakening and all their hype, though I enjoyed Ages.

I like mario and luigi more than paper mario... more humor in the story, better translation, more interesting combat.

AniHawk

I didn't find M&L humorous except on a few rare occasions. I think that's what killed it for me.

Intelligent Systems did Mario-is-in-a-different-place better than Alpha Dreams did anyhow.

jarrod

Banned
belgurdo said:
Another "Zelda's in trouble; go collect the shit" story. Ain't it about time this series got a more compelling (note to dissenters: this doesn't necessarily mean "darker") story to it?
I take it you haven't played Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask or the Oracle games?

Top Bottom