• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Lord of the Rings Online |OT| F2P lets everyone simply walk into Mordor

arne

I am/was a lifetime member -- I rolled my character on Windfola -- feel free to add me to the list. Anybody on Windfola can add me in-game or message me, I'm in a real laid back and helpful kinship I can recommend you to - easy to join, no commitments, fun respectful people.

Tideas

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Throwing down $30 for 3 months of VIP isn't bad either. VIP players get 300 Turbine Points for every month they're VIP so you get 3 months of possibly getting through the North Downs and Lone Lands and when you go back to Premium you'll have 900 points to throw around.

500 points

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
aidan said:
Is it worth it to buy a house? I've got about 1.5 gold.

Well... do you want a house? That's really the only answer. It doesn't do anything. It's just a house.

I personally think they're awesome.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
GDJustin said:
Well... do you want a house? That's really the only answer. It doesn't do anything. It's just a house.

I personally think they're awesome.

So they're basically a novelty? Can I store stuff there?

WolfSkill

Neo Member
Signed up for the free play. My name is wolfskill, lvl 15 Guardian on Brandywine. Would like to join some GAF'ers, let me know.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
aidan said:
So they're basically a novelty? Can I store stuff there?
Yes, you can store stuff there. And your alts will have access to non-bound items in the storage. plus you can swift travel there and have basically an extra swift travel skill to whatever land you have your house in.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Totally decked out my Burglar with Tailor vocation in Superb Gear without busting the bank. There's some quests in the southern shore of Nen Harn (look at your map in Bree Land, to the north east) that will provide you with the recipes and specific item to make single use recipes. There's also the same bounty quests in the Barrow-Downs.

Just wanted to warn everybody so you don't make the same mistake I did.

The Moria version that is available from the Lotro Store does not come with 1 month Vip sub like that the boxed versions.

I just bought it assuming it did give me the sub, would get up to 50 in the next 30 days and continue playing through Moria, instead I just bought 30 bucks worth of level 50+ quests that I can't do since I'm only level 20. Don't be dumb like me.

DiscoJer

VoteForPedro said:
Just wanted to warn everybody so you don't make the same mistake I did.

The Moria version that is available from the Lotro Store does not come with 1 month Vip sub like that the boxed versions.

I just bought it assuming it did give me the sub, would get up to 50 in the next 30 days and continue playing through Moria, instead I just bought 30 bucks worth of level 50+ quests that I can't do since I'm only level 20. Don't be dumb like me.

Beats what I did. I bought Moria at retail when it first came out 2 years ago (I was like 25th level at the time) for $40 (plus tax) and never actually got into Moria until a couple of months ago.

Because little did I know that 30 to 46 in this game was so terrible (at least I found it to be) and would take me 1 year and a half to slog through (and really only that because of the skirmishes, I could do that). It picks up at 46 or so, but yeesh, I don't want to go 35 to 46 again (I have several alts stuck in their lower 30s)

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
charsace said:
Why was I kicked from the kinship? :(

It appears that I wasn't kicked I just can't see the kinship for some reason.
I have had that happen before. just relog.

One thing I like about this patch is it made Helegrod fun again. My kin has been running it a lot. The only issue i have is Thorog is too easy. We had no problems with 20 people.

ScreenShot00078.jpg

ScreenShot00090.jpg

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Tideas said:
Trollshalls and northdowns appear to be same level tier. I wonder which quests land gives better rewards

North Downs has more quests, that's for sure. If you're trying to decide which one to buy, North Downs probably has more bang for your buck.

Tideas

Banned
so teh gaf kinship is almost dead, once again. bt at least now, bree-chat has an air of normalcy to it.

I wonder how this will hold up in a month, if the newbies will stick around once lvl 20 quests runs out

Tideas said:
so teh gaf kinship is almost dead, once again. bt at least now, bree-chat has an air of normalcy to it.

I wonder how this will hold up in a month, if the newbies will stick around once lvl 20 quests runs out

Doubtful - I got that D2D $5 VIP deal so the 20+ quests are open to me and its a ghost town in Lone Lands.

VAIL

Tideas said:

I've been busy, have every intention of coming back

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
TimHortons said:
Doubtful - I got that D2D $5 VIP deal so the 20+ quests are open to me and its a ghost town in Lone Lands.

hmm I don't think that's an accurate reflection.
The game is still substantially more active then before it free to play. And honestly I loved Lone lands because it was more solo-able then North Downs.
The Kin I'm in Runic Knights have commented that they've never seen so much activity around people wanting to go to GA( instance in Lone lands).

I do find North downs much more active..but I think that's because all the guides say for the FTP player they'll get more quests that level them higher if you only buy one ND is the one to choose.

I'm loving the game and I'm about 2months into my subscription which is usually where i start to feel fatiqued. I do not. In fact I've slowed down leveling (I'm 41) since 35 because I realized i was rushing past to much content due to high quest exp rewards.

I've been reading the FFXIV official thread, and man i'm glad i decided to play lotro and not jump on FFXIV day one..it sounds like a horrible MMO day one experience to me.

Runic Knights has like 1400 members its a "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" kinda guild but very very active. If the gaf players are finding a Gaf Kin isn't working send me a tell I'll get you an invite in a sec( on brandywine)

ag-my001

Garth Agarwen is getting a lot more attention after the LL revamp a while back. They took what was a huge instance with way too many mobs (even the dev said so) and broke it into chunks, changed it from 6-man to 3-man (with an option to bring in 4, just because), and updated the loot from "not worth it now that I've over-leveled" to "really good for the next 5-10 levels".

As for the population, Brandywine doesn't have queues all the time anymore and the layers have been disappearing from some areas. My guess is that with the new stuff done with by many players, they're staying back near quest hubs and crafting areas and using Instance Join to go where they need to.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Tideas said:

Civ V has stolen my gaming time, but I'm certainly not gone for good!

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Tideas said:

Civ 5 and TF2 update have been stealing a lot of time from people, plus a lot of people are just playing casually. We still have a good number of people who log in at least a few times each week.

Well after playing a 2 week trial on the EU version, and really enjoying it, my time has run out now. The lack of substantial communication from Codemasters is worrying, but I've already taken the plunge and bought a Moria disc from Amazon (which coincidently arrived today).

Now I just have to play the waiting game. I have considered buying a one month subscription in the meantime, although decided not to because it'll mean missing out on Turbine Points (or Codemaster Points?) from deeds since they're supposedly not retroactive.

I'm very sad I didn't learn more about lotro like a year ago, would have been playing it until now for sure.
But even though I'm loving the game and it made me pick up the books again I have to put it on hold for a while. Bad timing with some other games, plus exam season at uni and some more life crap ruined gametime. Plus there's expansion of certain game coming which is going to occupy me for months... We'll see, I'd really like to come back at play it some more.
I'll log in whenever I can and keep client updated :)

Polk

Mareg said:
Apparently the game is doing mighty well since switching its business scheme.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-10-08-lord-of-the-rings-online-revenues-double-after-f2p-switch

Another exemple of F2P being the superior model for MMO ?
What if blizzard were to follow that partern ? I think they would just rule de world.
Too bad it's still P2P in EU.
Besides, I think the main reason why F2P model is good of DDO and LOTRO is that they switched after creating some amount of additional content. I don't think they would be so succesful if they were F2P from the start.
And I think Blizzard is getting more from subs (especially if you count all those where players didn't log in in months but still pay) then they could get from F2P model.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anywhere I can get a US Moria key online? Tried GamersLoot and they haven't had any for weeks now, haven't been able to play for a few weeks now :(

Loxley

Mareg said:
Apparently the game is doing mighty well since switching its business scheme.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-10-08-lord-of-the-rings-online-revenues-double-after-f2p-switch

Another exemple of F2P being the superior model for MMO ?
What if blizzard were to follow that partern ? I think they would just rule de world.

I think it'd be interesting to see what would happen if they did it with WoW, but World of Warcraft is currently pulling in over 1 billion dollars a year on it's current model, I have serious doubts any F2P MMO has ever come close to those numbers, so I wouldn't count on it happening anytime soon.

Will Blizzard's next MMO be F2P w/ micro transactions? I wouldn't surprised if it was since that seems to be where the business model for MMO's is heading, but as far as we know, Kotick might man-handle them into making it a typical $15 a month subscription. Guess we'll see :) Besides, whatever the hell their next MMO is won't likely be out until 2013 at this point, so by then it's possible that monthly subs for MMO's will just sound stupid; especially if the LOTRO/TOR model really does take off.

Polk

Loxley said:
Will Blizzard's next MMO be F2P w/ micro transactions? I wouldn't surprised if it was since that seems to be where the business model for MMO's is heading, but as far as we know, Kotick might man-handle them into making it a typical $15 a month subscription. Guess we'll see :) Besides, whatever the hell their next MMO is won't likely be out until 2013 at this point, so by then it's possible that monthly subs for MMO's will just sound stupid; especially if the LOTRO/TOR model really does take off.

I'd rather think WOW will become F2P and new MMO will be P2P or they indroduce something similiar to Station Pass.

GDJustin

FYI, three quest packs are 75% off TODAY (Wednesday) only: Lone Lands, North Downs, and Evendim. All three can be purchased for a total price of just about ~$6 (386 TP), and will get players past the free zones all the way up to at least level 35 if not more.

Besides just being a great deal (huge amount of content for just $6), it's actually even better than it first seems. There is a total of 550 TP players can earn in these three zones, meaning players can actually come out ahead if they farm all the deeds :D

Even if a player doesn't want to TP farm, they're still bound to earn some TP as they quest through the zones, making them very nearly free.

Sale link: http://www.lotro.com/lotrostoresale/856-24-hour-sale
TP finder: http://lotro.mmorsel.com/p/tpfinder.html

Edit: Even better, if a player has saved up their "free" TP from the starter zones, they will now have enough to get these zones for free, and keep their free ride going.

DiscoJer

I have to wonder if this sale is a smack of desperation in Turbine's part? Trying to get current free players to keep on playing?

But it doubled their revenues, you say. Well, D&DO it was like 500%

(see http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/dungeons-and-dragons-online-revenues-up-500-percent)

And if you look at the list of the top selling items in the screen of the story

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/07/lord-of-the-rings-online-doubles-revenue-since-going-free-to-pla/

Shared Storage II
Tome of Vitality
Shared Storage I
Riding Skill
Shared Storage III
Expansion: Mines of Moria
Shared Wardrobe Storage I
Tome of Agility
Tome of Will
Tome of Might

They're almost all one-shot items purchased by long time players. So that 200% is likely going to drop dramatically in the second month (which is now).

What killed LOTRO in the first place was lack of timely content updates after Moria came out (well that and leveling from 30 to 48 really sucking). And at least so far, it looks like Turbine is going to repeat that mistake.

A month after launch and nothing added to the store except from items previously gotten in festivals. F2P games have to constantly add stuff to keep people interested. They seemed to have grasped this with D&DO, but not LOTRO

And it's not like there was a lot in the store at launch, either. Stat Tomes (at $5 a pop). A few cosmetic items, half of which were taken from Skirmishes. Shared storage (which is all I bought).

GDJustin

DiscoJer said:
I have to wonder if this sale is a smack of desperation in Turbine's part? Trying to get current free players to keep on playing?

But it doubled their revenues, you say. Well, D&DO it was like 500%

(see http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/dungeons-and-dragons-online-revenues-up-500-percent)

And if you look at the list of the top selling items in the screen of the story

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/07/lord-of-the-rings-online-doubles-revenue-since-going-free-to-pla/

They're almost all one-shot items purchased by long time players. So that 200% is likely going to drop dramatically in the second month (which is now).

What killed LOTRO in the first place was lack of timely content updates after Moria came out (well that and leveling from 30 to 48 really sucking). And at least so far, it looks like Turbine is going to repeat that mistake.

A month after launch and nothing added to the store except from items previously gotten in festivals. F2P games have to constantly add stuff to keep people interested. They seemed to have grasped this with D&DO, but not LOTRO

And it's not like there was a lot in the store at launch, either. Stat Tomes (at $5 a pop). A few cosmetic items, half of which were taken from Skirmishes. Shared storage (which is all I bought).

Well, desperation is awfully strong. Just because something else was even MORE successful doesn't mean that LOTRO isn't also very successful. It is possible Turbine isn't seeing as many people graduate from the free zones as they would like. But... this is a one-day sale. If it were a true cause of concern we would be seeing price adjustments for the content itself.

I would be very surprised if Lotro wasn't leveling out at a higher revenue level than it was at prior to the F2P switch. And the game wasn't entirely unhealthy beforehand anyway.

Killed? Speak some sense!

Shanadeus

Banned
Heads up everyone, there's a 75% sale going on just today!

75% off Lone-lands, North Downs & Evendim Quest Packs Starts At Midnight! 24-HOUR SALE!
(Wednesday, October 13th 12:00am EDT - 11:59pm EDT)

Lone-lands - 350 88 TP
icon_mtx_region_lonelands_large.gif

Levels 22-32 said:
The Lone-lands quest pack has over 100 quests & 20+ deeds!

- Discover Weathertop, The Forsaken Inn, The City Of Ost Guruth & Other Key Locations
- Join Others in Garth Agarwen’s 3 & 6-person instances
- Battle Fierce Monsters, Find New Treasure & More!
- Earn reputation with the Eglain faction!

North Downs - 595 149 TP
icon_mtx_region_northdowns_large.gif

18-40 said:
The North Downs quest pack has over 125 quests & 19 deeds!

- Discover the embattled settlements of Trestlebridge, Esteldin, Othrikar, and Meluinen, located on the edge of Angmar itself
- Venture into Fornost, a 6-person instance
- Earn reputation with the Rangers of Esteldin
- Learn the history of the lost Kings of Arnor

Evendim - 595 149 TP
icon_mtx_region_evendim_large.gif

32-50 said:
The Evendim quest pack has over 75 quests & 31 deeds!

- Make your way to the Ost Forod, the Eavespires, and the island of Tinnudir
- Battle your way through Annuminas and its 3 full fellowship instances
- Earn reputation with the Wardens of Annuminas

These can be found in Premium Items > Quests & Content > Quest Packs

Moobabe

Can you go to the zones in question without the quest pack? The phrasing makes it sound like the zones are off limits as well

AndyD

aka andydumi
Moobabe said:
Can you go to the zones in question without the quest pack? The phrasing makes it sound like the zones are off limits as well

You can go there, kill mobs, talk to NPC's and everything but you wont get the quests. And you wont have access to all the instances as they are quest based.

So the zone is open physically for you to wander around, and kill mobs and explore, but you won't have the quests that happen there and the rewards and experience associated with them.

Also you do not get the deeds without the quest pack. And deeds are what gets you TP.

As to the above question on Moria, no, you do not get these areas, you get the Moria areas. THese come immediately after the initial free areas and before Moria in terms of leveling.

GDJustin

I'm not even playing LOTRO right now because my only machine is an older mac. But I intalled Crossover games, installed LOTRO, and I'm now patching it. Just so I can go into the in-game store and buy these quest packs :lol

That way I'll already have them, when I do get a chance to dive in next year.

Apparently I will go to extreme lengths just to save ~$15 :lol

Turbine could have saved me ALL this headache if they had a WEB store, though -_- Just allow me to buy LOTRO stuff in a web browser! Tie purchases your account so you have access to what you bought next time you log into the game itself.

Top Bottom