• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediking

I have to admit,

back in 2010 when this game was still a 360 console exclusive, and knew like nothing about the game,
I went on youtube to look up the sex scene between her and shep...
that was the thing from technobuffalo's videos that stuck to me the most lol

Heh. What you have done is extremely tame and safe compared to the other massive part of the Mass Effect fan base that loves the series mostly for the sex appeal.

jdstorm

Banned
Default shepherd was literally a scanned male model and that's why he looked better than any of the custom characters or female shepard

Hey now. I loved my Shepard. I tried to make myself, but accidentally made a guy that looked like vin diesel. I was gutted when my save corrupted
(or I accidentally deleted the origional)
and I had to play ME3 with the default Shepard. I ended up just playing it Femshep on WiiU since it had some of the included DLC

EA must really be cracking down on this leak. The thread in Gaming was deleted. It's actually kind of nice seeing how much EA cares about this franchise and its reputation even after the main trilogy is over. Don't think I could be any more hyped...but then E3 is coming up...

diaspora

Wouldn't be surprised if EA wanted that leak closed, I doubt they want the first footage the public sees to be of a 2 year old proof of concept.

Mediking

EA must really be cracking down on this leak. The thread in Gaming was deleted. It's actually kind of nice seeing how much EA cares about this franchise and its reputation even after the main trilogy is over. Don't think I could be any more hyped...but then E3 is coming up...

If EA truly cared then they would drop a Remaster for the freaking series....

Wouldn't be surprised if EA wanted that leak closed, I doubt they want the first footage the public sees to be of a 2 year old proof of concept.

Yeah. Personally, I think it looks great, considering its age. Wish devs were more open with that early stuff, but then, there're always people who go in and go "wow this looks awful game is gonna be shit."

This is why we can't have nice things.

I just want ME3 X1 BC. Gimme dat multi and I'm golden.

Had some friends in town!

123m1y1y.png

Game's going to be fucking amazing.

DirtyCase

The gameplay leak of the old build did get me hyped . I'm looking forward to seeing more of this game in action.

Shinobi sure knows how to make a guy jealoua

Ralemont

not me
Of all the things to tip Miranda over and question her loyalty in Cerberus it just happened to be what was probably the most logical and defensible thing that Cerberus had ever done? Not the Jack experiments? Not killing Kahoku? Not unleashing crazed Rachni in some parts of the galaxy and turning people into Creepers? Not what happened to David Archer?

Bioware please.

Late on this, but totally agree. It's a great idea, since it's supposed to be a loyalty check for Miranda. The issue is her loyalty quest doesn't make her question Cerberus at all. It only makes her trust Shepard. That isn't nearly enough to support her sudden resentment of TIM at the Suicide Mission, especially considering she actively defends Cerberus as late as the loyalty conflict between her and Jack.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
To be honest, Miranda's sudden turn against TIM at the end of ME2 only happen if you choose to destroy the Collector base.

Which mean if you keep it and have Miranda in your group, she won't object or anything. So the fact that she's against TIM in ME3 is even more out of nowhere.

Ralemont

not me
Maybe Miranda should have been an antagonist in ME3 instead of Kai Leng.

I dunno, if we're talking about rewrites, let's cut to the core of the problem and rewrite The Illusive Man's role in ME3. Instead of active antagonist no matter what, he's an ally, and destroying/saving base determines the tone of your relationship with him (strained or amiable). Since Miranda should have been a squad mate in ME3 considering how important Cerberus is, she can act as your liason to TIM while on the ship. Under this rewrite you don't need Kai Leng anyway. You can still maintain gameplay variance by having a mere subsect of Cerberus become indoctrinated and split off (led by Petrovsky?).

Patryn

I dunno, if we're talking about rewrites, let's cut to the core of the problem and rewrite The Illusive Man's role in ME3. Instead of active antagonist no matter what, he's an ally, and destroying/saving base determines the tone of your relationship with him (strained or amiable). Since Miranda should have been a squad mate in ME3 considering how important Cerberus is, she can act as your liason to TIM while on the ship. Under this rewrite you don't need Kai Leng anyway. You can still maintain gameplay variance by having a mere subsect of Cerberus become indoctrinated and split off (led by Petrovsky?).

I'd rather just rewrite ME2 and never have Cerberus suddenly do this random 180.

I get why they wanted to do it, have the outside looking in thing going on, but yeah, it's kind of a mess with Cerberus. I don't think they ever really did a 180, but they presented their best face for that one game and that kind of tripped people up. Maybe make Shepard's benefactors a different, but still shady, organization. The Shadow Broker maybe.

Ralemont

not me
I'd rather just rewrite ME2 and never have Cerberus suddenly do this random 180.

Rewriteception.

I'd rather keep ME2 Cerberus, though. I thought it was a very interesting plot angle. In an ideal world with infinite resources we could have the game branch depending on whether the player wanted to work with them or not, but I felt the game gave Shepard sufficient motivation to at least work alongside them in ME2 if not for them.

Patryn

Rewriteception.

I'd rather keep ME2 Cerberus, though. I thought it was a very interesting plot angle. In an ideal world with infinite resources we could have the game branch depending on whether the player wanted to work with them or not, but I felt the game gave Shepard sufficient motivation to at least work alongside them in ME2 if not for them.

I tended to play Sole Survivor, and thus could never, ever get over that contradiction. Given that background, there is absolutely zero percent chance my Shepard would ever think of working for or with Cerberus, full stop.

diaspora

I get why they wanted to do it, have the outside looking in thing going on, but yeah, it's kind of a mess with Cerberus. I don't think they ever really did a 180, but they presented their best face for that one game and that kind of tripped people up. Maybe make Shepard's benefactors a different, but still shady, organization. The Shadow Broker maybe.

They had the opportunity to do this with Jack, but her Pragia stuff was swept under the rug once she nuked the place.

They had the opportunity to do this with Jack, but her Pragia stuff was swept under the rug once she nuked the place.

Oh, you mean separating ME1 Cerberus more fully from ME2 Cerberus? No, I meant like actually making a new group.

The more I think about it, the better Shadow Broker works. You get to work with them in ME1, they're shady as fuck but nowhere near as bad as Cerberus.

Patryn

Oh, you mean separating ME1 Cerberus more fully from ME2 Cerberus? No, I meant like actually making a new group.

The more I think about it, the better Shadow Broker works. You get to work with them in ME1, they're shady as fuck but nowhere near as bad as Cerberus.

I actually like your idea. The Shadow Broker was nicely presented as very morally grey in ME1.

I kind of disliked how they turned it into a total villain in ME2.

I agree with this. If you do all the Cerberus quests in ME1, having them revive you in ME2 is a huge plot twist. It's even more interesting if you play as a paragon sole survivor, because you'll never entirely trust Cerberus but your goals being almost perfectly aligned at the time makes the story that much more interesting and fun.

ME3 is where Cerberus and TIM transitioned to full-on mustache-twirling villains for no reason, but I think the story was fine in ME1 and 2.

diaspora

I agree with this. If you do all the Cerberus quests in ME1, having them revive you in ME2 is a huge plot twist. It's even more interesting if you play as a paragon sole survivor, because you'll never entirely trust Cerberus but your goals being almost perfectly aligned at the time makes the story that much more interesting and fun.

ME3 is where Cerberus and TIM transitioned to full-on mustache-twirling villains for no reason, but I think the story was fine in ME1 and 2.
ME3 is essentially you actually interacting with Cerberus as presented in ME1 I think.

Ralemont

not me
ME3 is essentially you actually interacting with Cerberus as presented in ME1 I think.

This is true. They decided to make Cerberus morally ambiguous one game too late, and then by the time ME3 came around they knew they needed to make indoctrination a big threat to the war effort considering the lore of the previous cycle had cited such huge issues because of it. Basically, I see legitimate reasons for the way they went in ME2 and 3, even if I think some other paths would have been better.

Patryn

This is true. They decided to make Cerberus morally ambiguous one game too late, and then by the time ME3 came around they knew they needed to make indoctrination a big threat to the war effort considering the lore of the previous cycle had cited such huge issues because of it. Basically, I see legitimate reasons for the way they went in ME2 and 3, even if I think some other paths would have been better.

Or simply not using the Cerberus name, which brought baggage with it.

Late on this, but totally agree. It's a great idea, since it's supposed to be a loyalty check for Miranda. The issue is her loyalty quest doesn't make her question Cerberus at all. It only makes her trust Shepard. That isn't nearly enough to support her sudden resentment of TIM at the Suicide Mission, especially considering she actively defends Cerberus as late as the loyalty conflict between her and Jack.
like I said though I think they just wanted to create some sort of sub plot of her not liking Cerberus anymore. Just to have that. I agree it's not good though.

diaspora

Or simply not using the Cerberus name, which brought baggage with it.
I didn't have huge problems with how Cerberus was really handled in the trilogy. There are issues like Sole Survivor cooperating with them, and Kai Leng's introduction out of left field. Overall though, the idea of a vicious terrorist group from ME1 giving you their bestface when they need you in ME2 to open hostility when you abandon them in ME3 is fine at least conceptually. I would have liked a smoother transition from ME2 3 for Leng as well as a larger subplot to ME2 that didn't ignore their shittier tendencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom