• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

The only problem with Jack is that she's the most egregious example of Bioware sacrificing verisimilitude in favor of design in terms of her clothing choices. Specifically when dealing with low atmosphere/no atmosphere.

The only problem with Jack is that she's the most egregious example of Bioware sacrificing verisimilitude in favor of design in terms of her clothing choices. Specifically when dealing with low atmosphere/no atmosphere.

"Iconic" clothing instead of armor sets made sense, but IMO they should have limited it to off-duty uniforms and designed proper battle gear for combat and exploration. Not just Jack, but Mordin and Miranda as well. You can still design custom ones instead of customizing it based on loot, but they needed something.

"Iconic" clothing instead of armor sets made sense, but IMO they should have limited it to off-duty uniforms and designed proper battle gear for combat and exploration. Not just Jack, but Mordin and Miranda as well. You can still design custom ones instead of customizing it based on loot, but they needed something.

They did have proper armour for Miranda but it was sold as DLC.

Sou Da

Damn that visor. I kept switching her appearance back and forth, because I really wanted her armored up during missions but my god was that orange piece of garbage distracting trying to hold a conversation.

You think that's bad? I had the Archon visor on the entire game.

Yeah I lost her too.

This is the only companion whose player-affected fate Bioware decided to be sneaky about.

I've looked it up online, no condition I can think of means she should have died. It's really bizarre, and since I don't know what condition to fix, there's no point reloading.

Guess I'll just look up the citadel party bits with her instead, coz there's no fuckin way I'm going back and doing this game again.

prag16

Banned
The WORST.

I always thought it was pretty funny that the +Paragade score helmet (and thus, the best for talking) was a) called Death Mask and b) full face. That's some wacky shit.
Yes. The best. That had to be some kind of intentional joke on the part of Bioware.

Is there a convenient way to check whether Miranda died after Priority: Horizon? I warned her about Kai Leng, I gave her Alliance Resources, I continued her romance and she was loyal as of ME2. But she appeared to be wounded/dying in the cutscene anyway. I kind of skipped through it, assuming I'd somehow fucked up and then went looking, but I can't think of any reason she would have died.

Does she show up as a war asset or something? I checked in Gibbed's ME3 editor but it doesn't have any useful flags or info about it.

You can speak to her during the final battle on the communicator if she is alive.

Anyone have any theories on what The Scourge is? I saw some people arguing it was the work of the Kett but I think maybe it's something the Remnants unleashed that backfired. It seems to consume planets but I'm not sure it's alive and organic or some kind of weird nano-machine like cloud technology.

Kind of reminds me of Tyranid Hive fleets from Warhammer 40k. (They basically consume/liquify all life and genetic material on a planet to expand)

xJR71kE.png

Anyone have any theories on what The Scourge is? I saw some people arguing it was the work of the Kett but I think maybe it's something the Remnants unleashed that backfired. It seems to consume planets but I'm not sure it's alive and organic or some kind of weird nano-machine like cloud technology.

Kind of reminds me of Tyranid Hive fleets from Warhammer 40k. (They basically consume/liquify all life and genetic material on a planet to expand)

xJR71kE.png

The bloating corpse of an elder god that's growing out of control... I think that'd be pretty funny considering the backlash against the Reapers not being elder gods themselves...

Do we know anything about when the MP beta is supposed to drop? I presumed there would be a closed one and an open one, but now I'm thinking the open one might be during the 5 day period the first 10 hours of the game will be accessible to Access/Origin users.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Theory: the scourge is a terraforming anomaly related to the Remnants tearing through celestial bodies making them effectively uninhabitable to conventional life. Kett survival requires unification under their banner to co-exist with the scourge, while the Angaran seek a solution to destroy it.

Lt-47

From what little we can see, it does look pretty similar to ME3.

It sure does. Then again ME3 MP was the only thing almost everyone liked about the game so can't blame them for not reinventing the wheel.

Do we know anything about when the MP beta is supposed to drop? I presumed there would be a closed one and an open one, but now I'm thinking the open one might be during the 5 day period the first 10 hours of the game will be accessible to Access/Origin users.

No official info so far. But I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped a week or two before the EA access trial. Beta a few weeks before launch seems to be the norm now

X-Frame

Looks like the 3 active powers are LB, RB, and LB+RB -- I don't recall having to hit 2 buttons at once for a power in ME3 MP, wasn't it Y / Triangle or a separate key?

I assume it can be tweaked though in controls.

Looks like the 3 active powers are LB, RB, and LB+RB -- I don't recall having to hit 2 buttons at once for a power in ME3 MP, wasn't it Y / Triangle or a separate key?

They've said you cannot re-map the controls button for button on console, but they do provide a few alternate control schemes to use.

It was Y/Triangle, but IIRC, that button controls your jumps/dashes now, at least on default controls.

X-Frame

Now that we have a Jump button I'll look for a control scheme with Jump on L1 like more Jumper schemes I use in shooters.

Also, since that MP footage has a Human with a face, I wonder if we will be able to customize the faces of each character in MP now as well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Now that we have a Jump button I'll look for a control scheme with Jump on L1 like more Jumper schemes I use in shooters.

Also, since that MP footage has a Human with a face, I wonder if we will be able to customize the faces of each character in MP now as well.

If there is as many characters in the MP as in ME3, I really don't want to waste time with customizing the face for each of them lol. I'm betting it's not gonna be a choice.

Yeah, no thanks to customizing all those faces lol

Normally I would go for Bumper Jumper, but tbh the jump here seems more like an ability than a part of regular movement. I'll leave it on y, provisionally.

X-Frame

Yeah, no thanks to customizing all those faces lol

Normally I would go for Bumper Jumper, but tbh the jump here seems more like an ability than a part of regular movement. I'll leave it on y, provisionally.

True, it would take me a week to customize them all haha.

And good point on the jump, I suppose it depends if the Jump/Dash is on a cool down or not.

diaspora

Theory: the scourge is a terraforming anomaly related to the Remnants tearing through celestial bodies making them effectively uninhabitable to conventional life. Kett survival requires unification under their banner to co-exist with the scourge, while the Angaran seek a solution to destroy it.

I'd just like to think of it as the web/hive of space spiders/millipedes.

Youtube blurriness and compression aside it does look like they tried their hardest to maintain the art aesthetic of Mass Effect 3, which is very cool. I think that bodes well if they ever try to attempt a trilogy remake in Frostbite.

DevilDog

Youtube blurriness and compression aside it does look like they tried their hardest to maintain the art aesthetic of Mass Effect 3, which is very cool. I think that bodes well if they ever try to attempt a trilogy remake in Frostbite.

I'd wager that they're just objects from the OI ported from their design programms, directly into frostbite.

Mindlog

Not sure if I dislike button combinations for power use.
Or just really hate modern controllers.

Still baffled by the lack of self-awareness in some corners when they focus so intently on the marketing of a product.

Lt-47

So has there been any word about if MP will be force fed this time around too or can one fully ignore it and still access all SP content and/or endings?

The MP won't change the story or ending but there's still reward for playing it. Most likely currency, crafting material or something like that. You could ignore it in ME3 too anyway.

Tovarisc

The MP won't change the story or ending but there's still reward for playing it. Most likely currency, crafting material or something like that. You could ignore it in ME3 too anyway.

I couldn't find way to mass enough "War Effort" in ME3 without MP. I must have missed some very significant boosters to it.

Lt-47

I couldn't find way to mass enough "War Effort" in ME3 without MP. I must have missed some very significant boosters to it.

Some of it was linked to choice made in the previous game so can easily get screw that way. Not that it mattered much, the only thing you missed was half a second cut of shepard breathing in one of the 3 endings... And they made it much easier with the extended cut

prag16

Banned

At launch, it was impossible to get the best ending without playing multiplayer.

When they patched in the extended cut ending, they lowered the threshold so that multiplayer was no longer mandatory.

Sou Da

Three active ones. You get a number of passives too.

Drone, warp, singularity.

That's assuming that we still get those super satisfying biotic explosions. If not, drone, incinerate, overload. Classic Engineer style.

Biotic Charge
Nova
Biotic Charge

/checks inbox
When are we going to get the guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom