• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Technically competent, sure. But no game has bored me to tears like that since RDR. (Again, fight me.) Not even Skyrim, and let me tell you, that was a boring ass game. (For the 3rd time, fight me.) :)
Now you're just starting to sound tasteless
Do we know if there's any chance that we will get a video of the character creator before the game is out?
We will at the latest see it when the EA Access Trial starts which is days before the game launch

prag16

Banned

Note: There's a pretty major story spoiler (probably early-game, but still) in the launch trailer, FYI.

But my reaction:

sweetjesus.jpg

prag16

Banned
Also looks like we got another hint on what the non-player-character sibling is up to. Possible large spoiler..

Unless they switched between the male and female Ryder as the player character mid-trailer (which is possible but probably unlikely), it looks like the non-player-character will be eventually held captive by the Archon. A rescue is likely a major plot point.

Vengal

I thought it showed a bit too much but not like they're going to waste time creating new assets and content to mislead people in a trailer. Dug the trailer mostly and am listening to the music on its own right now and by that virtue I guess the trailer did a good deed by introducing me to a new artist but I like my ME trailers to have some Synth or Two Steps From Hell.

Also looks like we got another hint on what the non-player-character sibling is up to. Possible large spoiler..

Unless they switched between the male and female Ryder as the player character mid-trailer (which is possible but probably unlikely), it looks like the non-player-character will be eventually held captive by the Archon. A rescue is likely a major plot point.

Speculation based on the launch trailer don't click if you don't want.

That was the impression I got as well, and that they're using the captured sibling to get access to the Ark or SAM. Maybe that's what happened to the other Arks and Pathfinders as well.

Ralemont

not me
So there is one brilliant bit of marketing in this trailer, which can be evidenced by our speculations over the past week:

We all thought the Golden Worlds would be where the meat of the game takes place, just like the AI thought they would be their new homes. Now we're at launch/they arrive, and none of them are habitable and suddenly we have no idea what to expect. Great bit of meta-marketing to set the player into Ryder's mindset.

So there is one brilliant bit of marketing in this trailer, which can be evidenced by our speculations over the past week:

We all thought the Golden Worlds would be where the meat of the game takes place, just like the AI thought they would be their new homes. Now we're at launch/they arrive, and none of them are habitable and suddenly we have no idea what to expect. Great bit of meta-marketing to set the player into Ryder's mindset.

Yeah I noticed that.
Reapers sold the geth a bill of goods lol.

prag16

Banned

Yeah, it's funny how
we were JUST talking about it, and the certainty that a lot of people were expressing.

That's why I feel like it's almost better NOT to watch this trailer;
it's arguably a pretty big early game spoiler.

Thought the trailer was GREAT on the whole, but they may have a revealed slightly too much.

Xando

Yeah launch trailer has some rather big spoilers. Shouldn't have watched it.

Hope we get some decent MP footage from PAX this weekend

DOWN

Banned

Agreed . Just when we saw the ark briefing, the trailer turns around and says that it
turned out to be bullshit by the time we arrived

DOWN

Banned
Hey, so what ever happened to Sara Ryder being the default character for marketing? :lol:
That was never a thing. They've said since Inquisition that they believe in not having only one gender in the marketing and making artwork appear neutral for the player to fill it in. Hence both DAI and Andromeda have characters on the cover that could be male or female, and the marketing for both games shows more than one version of the player character.

Female Ryder was never slated to get all the marketing. Just some of GAF and the internet interpreted her being shown first as being handled like ME trilogy, despite BioWare being clear they will handle it more variably like DAI.

Killzig

I thought we always knew
the golden worlds were fucked from Day 1 of coverage
. Isn't that what all those side activities meant to raise the viability of the planets is about? Just sounds like Habitat 7 is especially bad off.

prag16

Banned
I thought we always knew
the golden worlds were fucked from Day 1 of coverage.
Isn't that what all those side activities meant to raise the viability of the planets is about? Just sounds like Habitat 7 is especially bad off.

You might want to spoiler tag that. We did NOT know that. Speculations could be made, but no, we didn't know anything concrete. Evidenced by how many of the close followers of this game in this topic were still making certain assumptions as recently as right before the launch trailer.

Yeah, I was definitely under the impression that those 7 habitable planets were just under "enemy control" or whatever; not that they'd be wastes.

prag16

Banned
Yeah, I was definitely under the impression that those 7 habitable planets were just under "enemy control" or whatever; not that they'd be wastes.

Right, that was what I was figuring too, until this trailer. Not a huge deal, but it's definitely a curveball some people will prefer to get in-game rather than from this trailer.

DOWN

Banned
Yep, that's what was assumed.
That existing species would not want us present or that other arks got to them but were struggling or not cooperating with us. Didn't think we would get there and find out we have a whole lot of exploring that needs to start over.

I wouldn't consider that too spoilery honestly. Just saying, there's *a lot* that's going on in the game that people aren't aware of and that they haven't shared.

But sure if people want to go in absolutely blind then definitely don't watch.

prag16

Banned
I wouldn't consider that too spoilery honestly. Just saying, there's *a lot* that's going on in the game that people aren't aware of and that they haven't shared.

I'd figure the
"golden worlds are fucked" reveal
is pretty early in the game, so no, not too big a deal.

The
sibling held captive by the Archon
thing probably happens later on especially considering that
they're comatose at the start

But if you're saying that these aspects aren't that huge in terms of all the shit that goes on in the game, that's a good thing.

Xando

I'd figure the
"golden worlds are fucked" reveal
is pretty early in the game, so no, not too big a deal.

I mean they kinda already revealed habitat 7 being fucked in the first 13 minutes video last week so that's not too suprising

Like additional new races hopefully

It was a tad spoilery for my taste, but not too bad

Ralemont

not me

This makes me very excited. I think its been awhile since I had this little story info about a BW game.
Last time might have been KOTOR and we all know how awesome playing that game blind was.

DOWN

Banned

No, but it seems like the type of info that people who think the actual trailers get too spoilery with would have not wanted revealed to them.

If you've seen the briefings which were basically story-free, the trailer has a fairly noteworthy piece of info that would have been somewhat unexpected once solidified in the game. So I'm just spoiler tagging it as a courtesy because it indeed feels like something where a trailer is giving out a little much info in a case where the reveal is a bit too interesting if we're being careful about the actual game story.

Lol, whoops, that could be true. I can't detect sarcasm over text for shit.

Yeah, I'm just playing around. I'm really just bemused at this point at how much people get worked up over the default characters. You don't see anyone getting indignant over what the preset characters look like in Skyrim or Fallout. Everyone just knows that you can create your own character to your own specifications. Only in Mass Effect is it a thing to get upset if the preset characters aren't to your liking.

Golden worlds being "a bust" could still mean a lot of things. They're not as hospitable to humans as the intel indicated. They're occupied by hostile aliens. Or we simply don't know the situation with the worlds that the turian/asari/salarian arks were assigned to because we've lost contact with those arks. I don't think we really know much more about how the story will play out than what we did yesterday.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Don't forget that this is GAF. Where people consider that the absence of an item in Zelda is considered a spoiler, so yeah... i bet that trailer is super spoilery to some.

prag16

Banned
This makes me very excited. I think its been awhile since I had this little story info about a BW game.
Last time might have been KOTOR and we all know how awesome playing that game blind was.

Yeah; I went into ME1 fairly blind, but I knew WAY more about ME2 and ME3 going in than I know about this. Should be good.

Golden worlds being "a bust" could still mean a lot of things. They're not as hospitable to humans as the intel indicated. They're occupied by hostile aliens. Or we simply don't know the situation with the worlds that the turian/asari/salarian arks were assigned to because we've lost contact with those arks. I don't think we really know much more about how the story will play out than what we did yesterday.

True, however
the popular assumption was "oh, these are the seven planets that are explorable in the not-Mako.
That has been pretty much debunked now I'd say.

Sou Da

I see they're doing what I thought they would using the scanner for all types of purposes. The AR functionality of it was a great idea.

I want to watch the IGN video to see the dialogue wheel in action but I've gotta hold the line for another 6 days to experience everything blind and fresh.

[Internal struggling intensifies]

qrZeCHc.png

prag16

Banned
I want to watch the IGN video to see the dialogue wheel in action but I've gotta hold the line for another 6 days to experience everything blind and fresh.

[Internal struggling intensifies]

qrZeCHc.png

They don't show a huge amount of dialog wheel. The IGN first 13 had a lot more of that.

Doodis

Crap, I really wish they hadn't included that spoiler in the launch trailer. I've been on blackout for the longer IGN videos and didn't think Bioware themselves would put something like that in the launch trailer. Ugh.

Lt-47

Crap, I really wish they hadn't included that spoiler in the launch trailer. I've been on blackout for the longer IGN videos and didn't think Bioware themselves would put something like that in the launch trailer. Ugh.

Launch trailer are always the worst, they try to wow people as much as possible which almost always mean tons of spoiler. ME2 was especially terrible in that regards

diaspora

I haven't been watching the stream because spoilers =(

Game sounds hot though.

I know there's the newer/current blue and white Andromeda Initiative logo with the tempest on it, but frankly I've always liked this one more.

Discord link in email tags- so quote to retrieve; it can be used to organize ME3 multiplayer matches if anyone wishes too. I'll re-post it closer to March 16th for the 10 hour demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom