• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope the plot of the next game is highly based in politics and doesn't introduce some new super-evil.

Something that the science fiction genre can achieve with storytelling that other genres can't easily find is a sense of vastness, wonder and mystery. ME1 achieved that and compounded it with attachment to your squadmates, making the experience all the better.

I hope they spend more effort on achieving that sense of wonder and writing great characters to experience that with; then, I hope they make the conflict in the plot about those elements rather than a huge overlying threat of annihilation.

Giving them fits? DAI was their first go at the engine, if anything it's a massive achievement that it turned out the way it did. DICE was consulted many times over the course of its schedule but Bioware is basically self-sufficient in Frostbite after the experience received from DAI's development. ME team doesn't have to worry about the constraints of 10 year old hardware.

You haven't seen what Bioware can do with Frostbite 3. Believe me.
Question:

Mass Effect play mechanics have been relatively simple and have serviceable intros/tutorials. DA:I confused the living hell out of me in the beginning. Crafting is fiddly, combat is not exactly visceral, and the story just isn't as cohesive (minus the ME3 ending) as ME.

Will the new ME still be coherent and purposeful or will it be sci-fi version of the 'Skyrim meets AssCreed with a cool story' that is DA:I? DA:I is cool and all but I can't locate my give a shit about playing it through. The story is diluted via the fiddliness.

I really hope the plot of the next game is highly based in politics and doesn't introduce some new super-evil.

As shit as the game is in general, Dragon Age 2's plot was largely in the right direction, at least up until the ending.

Qunari arc was really good.

Inquisition is pretty much back to world-threatening supervillains though.

Question:

Mass Effect play mechanics have been relatively simple and have serviceable intros/tutorials. DA:I confused the living hell out of me in the beginning. Crafting is fiddly, combat is not exactly visceral, and the story just isn't as cohesive (minus the ME3 ending) as ME.

Will the new ME still be coherent and purposeful or will it be sci-fi version of the 'Skyrim meets AssCreed with a cool story' that is DA:I? DA:I is cool and all but I can't locate my give a shit about playing it through. The story is diluted via the fiddliness.

Well, to preface I'll say I don't share the same sentiment about DAI, but suffice to say, the Montreal team working on Mass Effect are sharing some systems from DAI but that's not to say the intro, plot arc, etc will be at all similar. DA and ME teams do their own thing in terms of design. However it'll be much more open than previous ME games. The number of explorable planets they're targeting alone is impressive to say the least.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well, to preface I'll say I don't share the same sentiment about DAI, but suffice to say, the Montreal team working on Mass Effect are sharing some systems from DAI but that's not to say the intro, plot arc, etc will be at all similar. DA and ME teams do their own thing in terms of design. However it'll be much more open than previous ME games. The number of explorable planets they're targeting alone is impressive to say the least.

That sounds great. I just hope each of these planets have impressive and sometimes self-contained story arcs. Also, they give us one or two nice city hubs... Val Royeaux was a massive let down in DA: I despite it being my GOTY.

Marvel

could never
MassEffect2CE.jpg
imo ME2 Collector's edition had the best cover art. That Japanese ME1 art is very cool, too.

Yes I loved this.

prag16

Banned
That sounds great. I just hope each of these planets have impressive and sometimes self-contained story arcs. Also, they give us one or two nice city hubs... Val Royeaux was a massive let down in DA: I despite it being my GOTY.

I would think it's a bit much for every planet to have a "story arc", however, something beyond the ME1 system of "random terrain with a thresher maw and a cookie cutter base (same on every planet)" is definitely achievable I'd expect.

I would think it's a bit much for every planet to have a "story arc", however, something beyond the ME1 system of "random terrain with a thresher maw and a cookie cutter base (same on every planet)" is definitely achievable I'd expect.
One of the new game's core pillars is 'epic scale'. ME1's uncharted worlds done right: strong exploration, sense of discovery, beautiful unique lands. So many awesome additions to the formula.

2thepoint

One of the new game's core pillars is 'epic scale'. ME1's uncharted worlds done right: strong exploration, sense of discovery, beautiful unique lands. So many awesome additions to the formula.

Shinobi, it's a new protagonist, right?

And following the events of 3?

DOWN

Banned
MassEffect2_cover.PNG
Nah man dat ME2 box art is the best!

It looks like a cheaply manipulated still render from the CGI trailer when they had an identity crisis and got obsessed with warm colors. It wasn't even sharp on the final print. The background had none of the sleek sophistication of ME 1 and was pushing shooter vibes so hard.The color scheme for ME2 art and menus got so out of hand with orange. Thank goodness it seems to have been a one-time mistake.
was ME2 the first one you played?

504x_mass_effect_2_pc.jpg

I liked this. :D
This was much sharper. I was really disappointed when they got rid of it.

Dany

Banned
I am like 40 hours into Dragon Age: I. My first DA game and I am loving it. Like I see so much that a mass effect game could draw from. The idea of a haven or controlling your squad. The approve/disapprove. An actual skill tree.I know several RPG mechanics were in past DA games but they could totally be implemented in a mass effect game and have strong gameplay.

DOWN

Banned
I am like 40 hours into Dragon Age: I. My first DA game and I am loving it. Like I see so much that a mass effect game could draw from. The idea of a haven or controlling your squad. The approve/disapprove. An actual skill tree.I know several RPG mechanics were in past DA games but they could totally be implemented in a mass effect game and have strong gameplay.
It sort of sounds like they want to pull a Rockstar/Ubisoft/Warner Bros. thing at BioWare in which they make their own house games feel like they share their signature and definitely will share tech (like how Red Dead and GTA, or Watch Dogs and AC and Far Cry fit, or Shadow of Mordor with Arkham's movement and combat mechanics). I certainly would expect more than dialogue mechanics to cross over so I'm excited to see what a strong RPG vision across BioWare games this gen looks like in Mass Effect.

I actually really like the persuade and skill tree mechanics they introduced in 3; I'd prefer if they go for that over DA:I's system, honestly.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I hope we get an announcement for a port to new gen systems pretty soon. I really want to know when I can block off some vacation time!

Patryn

It's more than even that, if you think about it.

Barrier = Shields (it's even already blue!). Guard = Armor. Health Potions = Medigel. Tonics/Other potions = Grenades.

On a controller, you're already holding R2 to fight. They'll have to figure out the skills to allow for holding L2 to aim, but you can actually easily see how ME combat fits in.

Lakitu

st5fu

That's true, but honestly, I've been thinking about the next ME a lot lately. That's a lot to do with the fact I've been playing Dragon Age: Inquisition a lot. While it's my favourite game of the year and the environments, amount of dialogue/lore are all amazing. I don't think the concept of 'fetch quests' would be that appealing in the next ME game. How would they make something like an open-world ME interesting?

Do you know if it's going to be like ME 1, where we had main story planets and then mako exploration or is it going to be integrated?

I hope ME4 has a strong central plot and less emphasis on grind questing now.

Thats funny. ME3 seems to lack sidequesting all together, sacrificing it to have a meaty central campaign. But with DAI Bioware flipped that completely backwards. They need to find a middle ground again. ME2 and DAO were perfect in that regard imo, the side-content was there in good amount but there wasn't sooooo much of it as to completely outweigh the main campaign, so just go back to that.

That or separate the two sides of the game. Have all that exploration and a massive bag of small quests to do in in it but segregate it from the main quest line. Have that part of the game take place after the main quest, or even in a wholly seperate mode, so that we don't just have an ocean of bland content with just a few relatively tiny islands of actually meaningful content dotted in at great distance from eachother across that ocean.

DOWN

Banned
That's true, but honestly, I've been thinking about the next ME a lot lately. That's a lot to do with the fact I've been playing Dragon Age: Inquisition a lot. While it's my favourite game of the year and the environments, amount of dialogue/lore are all amazing. I don't think the concept of 'fetch quests' would be that appealing in the next ME game. How would they make something like an open-world ME interesting?

Do you know if it's going to be like ME 1, where we had main story planets and then mako exploration or is it going to be integrated?
They haven't said how the Mako exploration fits, whether it's tied into main planets or specific to explorable uncharted worlds.

While not necessarily plausible to have a full arc for each planet, in ME1 the system was pretty neat in that certain side quests from the Citadel, radio comms, and elsewhere prompted a few steps of a quest that would take you to the planet for maybe one or two more exploration points or dialogues. An expansion of that, with subtle reasons to go find the silenced explorers and lost satellite teams would be quite pleasing. The real issue is just getting a more unique surface and facilities on the planets. A unique looking lab or radar station on each planet could really flesh out in combination with more varied surface creativity.

I agree, DAI has good concepts to draw into Mass Effect, especially vast beautiful worlds. However, the combo system in DAI doesn't match that of ME, it doesn't give that great feedback (like a fire/biotic explosion), and in turn party building in DAI is more of personal preference than strategy. ME3 multiplayer required some thought to prepare for certain enemies, and to balance brute strength combos with area of effect combos.

DOWN

Banned
I agree, DAI has good concepts to draw into Mass Effect, especially vast beautiful worlds. However, the combo system in DAI doesn't match that of ME, it doesn't give that great feedback (like a fire/biotic explosion), and in turn party building in DAI is more of personal preference than strategy. ME3 multiplayer required some thought to prepare for certain enemies, and to balance brute strength combos with area of effect combos.
Damn. Biotic combos were incredible. It felt amazing to have one member warp and the other throw, then you hear this fragmented bass tone from the explosion. Amazing sound cue.

The real question is how far off into the future is it and will past characters make cameos or simply be mentioned in passing. And will they address their debacle of an ending or run away from it.

I really can't see them doubling down on the ending and its implications, even if their artistic soul cries out for it... it would be really boneheaded to re-ignite the whole discussion and have the initial revelations dominated by yet another round of polarising debate. My guess is they'll reframe the story and setting in such a way that the ending isn't touched upon at all.

Having said that, it would be funny if the story focuses on the exodus of refugees desperately trying to escape a Galaxy where Shepard-commander is in control or everyone has glowing green eyes and machine intelligence. Or maybe not.

Renegade Yeti

Neo Member
A civil war over the use of leftover reaper tech could be cool, you could decide wether to fight for one side or the other , converting races to your side /destroying different races etc.

DOWN

Banned
The real question is how far off into the future is it and will past characters make cameos or simply be mentioned in passing. And will they address their debacle of an ending or run away from it.

I really can't see them doubling down on the ending and its implications, even if their artistic soul cries out for it... it would be really boneheaded to re-ignite the whole discussion and have the initial revelations dominated by yet another round of polarising debate. My guess is they'll reframe the story and setting in such a way that the ending isn't touched upon at all.

Having said that, it would be funny if the story focuses on the exodus of refugees desperately trying to escape a Galaxy where Shepard-commander is in control or everyone has glowing green eyes and machine intelligence. Or maybe not.

Since it is a different Galaxy and new character that may or may not take place at roughly the same time as the Shepard story, I'd guess there would be little interaction with old characters. Maybe if you are Alliance you will get to speak with some official you recognize, but most characters will need to be separate and new because having an important story in the new ME means that it is also an important story that wasn't mentioned in the original trilogy, and the best reason for that would be that no one we knew was involved in the mission we are on in ME Next.

Ugh I loved Mass Effect but now I wish that story would drop dead and they'd treat it like James Bond mythology where there are tons of shared elements and settings, but the plot gets to start fresh and can have fresh canon decisions to make the current story central. They should really establish a canon ending or ignore the trilogy plot almost all together.

ME is my favorite game regardless, and I'm sure they have thought of how to move on pretty well to give new characters a story.

3bdelilah

Banned
If it IS a prequel, then please take place in the cycle before the original trilogy. I really don't want the current cycle any more, I mean what's the point if it's not
about the reapers :(

Also, ME1 really needs a remake/remaster/VersionThatHasDecentCover.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's a buttquel.

Lethe82

Banned
I bet it follows a research team, or a part of a fleet that gets stranded in a rarely visited or unexplored system in an area following the disabling of the Mass Relays. The Devs already said that the game would mainly focus on what, three planets, and the Mako was your means of getting from point to point on the planets. There will likely be some secret to the system (maybe the reason your team was sent there), something to do with either the reapers themselves or a side villain, something predating the reapers, or tied to the reapers origins.

They're introducing two new races that somehow aren't around in the original trilogy or its lore. Of course it's set after.

It could be partially set during, with the mass relays going down being the plot device that focuses all the attention on a concentrated area. Like a bottle episode. It takes place after, but you might not directly interact with the larger universe.

Hi.
This topic was the reason I joined NeoGAF. Please LOVE ME SpaceGAF! :p

So, TheGameAwards is pretty close. What's the chances of EA announcing (full reveal) NewME at the event?

It could be partially set during, with the mass relays going down being the plot device that focuses all the attention on a concentrated area. Like a bottle episode. It takes place after, but you might not directly interact with the larger universe.

The events of the original trilogy are done with. It would be a mistake to go back, rather than start afresh - BioWare knows this.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's quite obvious it's not a prequel anyway. Even the preview of the Mako itself seems like an upgraded version of the one seen in original trilogy. If it was a prequel, why would they downgrade the Mako later? :p

down 2 orth

So I played OG Mass Effect when it came out and loved it. It blew my brains away how fresh and ambitious it was, and I loved thinking of where it could go next. The sequel lived up to the hype but the third one was a bit of a let down for me (not because of the ending, the uproar over that seems kind of silly. ME3 just lost some of the magic touch from the first two games)

So here's my two cents of where this series should go:

1) Less urgency. Let's just chill the fuck out and be space tourists. Thats why we all fell in love with the game to begin with.

2) More comprehensive environments. Even one or two would be fine, like Omega in ME2. But make it lively like Los Santos in space.

3) Less agenda. Sorry I don't need Garus asking me about my thoughts on authoritarian governments as we're in the midst of saving the galaxy. That one felt a bit creepy... Gay/straight stuff are both fine with me and I know EA are proud of their stance on LGBT matters, but maybe it would be best to let the player clarify their sexual preference at the start of the game instead of constantly throughout?

4) Let's bring the Mako back.

Lakitu

st5fu
Hi.
This topic was the reason I joined NeoGAF. Please LOVE ME SpaceGAF! :p

So, TheGameAwards is pretty close. What's the chances of EA announcing (full reveal) NewME at the event?

I hope so. They did mention on N7 day that we'd possibly get more information within a few months.

3bdelilah

Banned
? ME2 is essentially "Sidequests The Game". The main campaign is really short.

Only if you speed-run through it. I usually take my time with everything, exploring every nook and cranny. Not sure how much I did with the main story, but the last time was 55 hours with everything, so I assume that's a very solid amount of time for the main story.

In perspective: I recently played ME1 for the first time and I finished the main story in exactly 16 hours. I wanted to leave the majority of the side quests after I was done, but apparently there's a point of no return.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I hope we get an announcement for a port to new gen systems pretty soon. I really want to know when I can block off some vacation time!

So much this... DA:I is keeping me at bay at the moment, but a new Trilogy run calls me like no other....

I'm literally addicted to Mass Effect, and I love it.

It's a little bit old (we've already discussed it at BSF :p), but I Don't think this was posted before (in here). it's quite interesting.

MarieRenée Brisebois ‏@MarieBrisebois
About to make the BioWare Montreal team really happy with a cool new shirt!

3syxo9uyg7i19orbqjnw.jpg

---------

Fabrice Condominas ‏@Faburisu

New swag for the team! What could this mean...

850p3l0vmfaefbuhltfp.jpg

Let's see my little list:

• I'd like to see planets that have areas similar to the ones in Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Writing that is more akin to the second game than the first (can't speak about the third game because I didn't play it) or Dragon Age 2
  • Preferably without day one DLC locked behind a special edition of the game with very relevant lore to the story
  • To not be insulted by the dev in case I don't want to buy a special edition of the game or day one DLC
  • To not have micro-transactions that can unlock content or gear in the game or multiplayer a component with micro-transactions that can influence the game's progress
  • To be able to explore planets, or very large chunks of planets on a ground vehicle. Not small sections of planets/bases, not probing for materials.
  • Less celebrities, or less emphasis on celebrity-presences rather than the game's actual value.
  • Not having the impact of all your decisions boil down to three colors and slightly different text during the ending.

Let's see my little list:

• To not have micro-transactions that can unlock content or gear in the game or multiplayer a component with micro-transactions that can influence the game's progress
ME3's MP was so good that no minded the microtransactions because they just kept playing matches and grinding for the in-game currency. That said, ME4's MP needs to avoid DA:I's "three maps and kinda shit MP with microtransactions" at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom