• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Most (and Least) Peaceful Countries in the World.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Vyufn.png

not bad

most peaceful country of latin america after Chile it seems

Jackson

Would you really say North Korea is worse than Congo, Iraq, Sudan, Afghanistan, and Somalia?

In terms of worst place to live in the world? DPRK is far, far worse than any place on the planet.

In terms of likelihood of violent demonstration? No, probably not.

And how would you like a state of constant violence and warfare?

Read the OP here -- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=36335231

Then tell me which country you'd rather live in.

It's a ranking of peacefulness. As shitty a place North Korea is, at least it's not an open conflict zone like the top 5.

dat strawman

Prison population is part of their calculation so they disagree with you in that they think that low prison population is a good sign of peacefulness.

I was asking you to clarify your position anyway on if you think it's better to have North Korean policies or to have open conflict. An awkward question is not strawman.

Woorloog

Banned
Yay, i'm living in a peaceful country (Finland).

But considering that, why the fuck does my stupid goverment insist on having a consripted "defence force" that is underequipped and weakly trained and the troops (who don't become professional soldiers) aren't very motivated?

Kazerei

Banned
Prison population is part of their calculation so they disagree with you in that they think that low prison population is a good sign of peacefulness.

I was asking you to clarify your position anyway on if you think it's better to have North Korean policies or to have open conflict. An awkward question is not strawman.

I never said imprisonment was a good sign of peacefulness, you're really putting words in my mouth. And asking if I prove of North Korean policies is just a dumb question. What did you expect me to say?

Yes, I do believe that on a measure of peacefulness, open conflict is worse than government oppression. Apparently the rankings agree too. North Korea absolutely deserves its spot on the list. Putting it ahead of countries in the middle of war wouldn't make sense.

I never said imprisonment was a good sign of peacefulness, you're really putting words in my mouth. And asking if I prove of North Korean policies is just a dumb question. What did you expect me to say?

Yes, I do believe that on a measure of peacefulness, open conflict is worse than government oppression. Apparently the rankings agree too. North Korea absolutely deserves its spot on the list. Putting it ahead of countries in the middle of war wouldn't make sense.

Prison population is something they track and higher prison population for them means less peaceful country. So in a ranking of peacefulness you are wrong to say that prison population does not count.

State oppression and a permanently militarised society are very much not peaceful things.

Kazerei

Banned
Prison population is something they track and higher prison population for them means less peaceful country. So in a ranking of peacefulness you are wrong to say that prison population does not count.

State oppression and a permanently militarised society are very much not peaceful things.

Huh? I never said that prison population does not count. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

I completely agree that North Korea is a very un-peaceful country, I just don't think it makes sense to rank it higher than Congo, Iraq, Sudan, Afghanistan, or Somalia.

Huh? I never said that prison population does not count. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

I completely agree that North Korea is a very un-peaceful country, I just don't think it makes sense to rank it higher than Congo, Iraq, Sudan, Afghanistan, or Somalia.

You said that it was a measure of peacefulness and that open conflict should be counted and not imprisonment. You are making the judgement yourself on how this should be worked out totally based on your own gut feeling while I was disagreeing in detail on how they judge that a lack of protest made a country like NK more peaceful than others. It seems that you disagree with their methodology even more than me and think that "open conflict" should be given way more weight and government suppression and militarisation less weight.

Hartt951

I suppose it depends on whether you like starvation and forced labour camps or not.
There's a really big difference.

Yes, labor camps and starvation are horrible, but if you are not a political enemy of the state, you're fine. Shut up and you won't end up in a camp. Yes, horrific but nothing compared to Somalia/Afghanistan/Ect. where your only housing options are a hut that is in a community where everyone is armed and hates everyone and you walk outside and get blown the fuck up because you got into the cross fire of two people fighting. Shit is nuts.

There's a really big difference.

Yes, labor camps and starvation are horrible, but if you are not a political enemy of the state, you're fine. Shut up and you won't end up in a camp. Yes, horrific but nothing compared to Somalia/Afghanistan/Ect. where your only housing options are a hut that is in a community where everyone is armed and hates everyone and you walk outside and get blown the fuck up because you got into the cross fire of two people fighting. Shit is nuts.

What if you starve only because you have no political connections and no family member suitable for military service.

And what if you are sent to a camp because your neighbour is a shithead who made up lies about you.

Hartt951

What if you starve only because you have no political connections and no family member suitable for military service.

And what if you are sent to a camp because your neighbour is a shithead who made up lies about you.
Why are you so adamantly defending that North Korea is more violent? I'm confused.

Do you really think imprisonment due to lies/lack of political connections is more violent than hearing gun shots every day/being blown up/living in a state with no government for over 20 years/having your kids kidnapped and forced to be child soldiers/living in a village ran by pirates and drug lords/being caught in the middle of two militaries fighting each other/living in an area littered with landmines and IEDS?

Murder is inherently more violent than imprisonment.

Kazerei

Banned
You did say it, even if accidentally. But I will now accept that it is not your position.

So you would feel more safe in North Korea than Russia because of the increased threat of political dissent?

Alright, sorry for the confusion.

I really couldn't pick between North Korea and Russia, both are rife with "political terror". The rankings put NK at #7 and Russia at #6, but it could've gone either way IMO.

Why are you so adamantly defending that North Korea is more violent? I'm confused.

Do you really think imprisonment due to lies/lack of political connections is more violent than hearing gun shots every day/being blown up/living in a state with no government for over 20 years/having your kids kidnapped and forced to be child soldiers/living in a village ran by pirates and drug lords/being caught in the middle of two militaries fighting each other/living in an area littered with landmines and IEDS?

Murder is inherently more violent than imprisonment.

Well it's difficulty to get a grip on the conditions in the north Korean Camps and the numbers of people in them since they are a state secret.

But there are American cities that are pretty dangerous in terms of violent crime but we don't immediately think that the people there have a worse life than a similar number of people in a forced labour camp with hard work and little food or medical care.

Cookie18

Holy shit at the fact that America is less peaceful than most of South America. I wouldn't even consider going to Brazil yet it is more peaceful than the US o_0

Hartt951

Well it's difficulty to get a grip on the conditions in the north Korean Camps and the numbers of people in them since they are a state secret.

But there are American cities that are pretty dangerous in terms of violent crime but we don't immediately think that the people there have a worse life than a similar number of people in a forced labour camp with hard work and little food or medical care.
There is NO city anywhere in America with levels of violent crime ANYWHERE near the levels you see in places in the Middle East/Africa.

Please read the OP again:

"In 2011, according to the United Nations, 3,021 Afghani civilians were killed as a Taliban-led insurgency has grown more active and violent. The high level of domestic conflict in Afghanistan has turned 3 million people into either refugees or internally displaced people."

"The war-torn nation of Somalia has been dubbed “the world’s worst humanitarian disaster” by the UN. The power struggle between the warlords, specifically the Hizbul Islam and Al-Shabaab, as well as the counterinsurgency by the Transitional Federal Government, have led to the death, displacement and human rights violations of millions of Somali citizens."

There is no where in the world as violent as Somalia or Afghanistan. There's a reason why they are Number 1 and 2 on the list. That's not up for debate... all the research has been done amazingly for us and it is fact they are the two most dangerous countries.

And again is hard work with little food or medical care really more violent than being murdered?

There is NO city anywhere in America with levels of violent crime ANYWHERE near the levels you see in places in the Middle East/Africa.

Well you are wrong. Some of these countries as a whole are quite large and the violence is often more localised than you might at first think. And America does has some very violent hot spots.

I don't want to belittle the problems these people are going through but other people have problems just as serious.

And again is hard work with little food or medical care really more violent than being murdered?

It's a bad way to die if you ask me, being worked to death, a life where you wish for death.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Go canada go!
Someone being born in the U.S., I've had an interest in Canada. Always heard of it as a peaceful, friendly place where one can leave a door unlocked. That, and I'm sick of the heat and dry desert. Would love to visit one day and dear neighbor, I will not for one second doubt Canada owns the U.S.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Holy shit at the fact that America is less peaceful than most of South America. I wouldn't even consider going to Brazil yet it is more peaceful than the US o_0

we tend to start wars and run around the world playing international peace/war keeper. Its kinda hard to top a peaceful countries list when you have a military as large as ours.

lupinko

Someone being born in the U.S., I've had an interest in Canada. Always heard of it as a peaceful, friendly place where one can leave a door unlocked. That, and I'm sick of the heat and dry desert. Would love to visit one day and dear neighbor, I will not for one second doubt Canada owns the U.S.

I dunno about that, maybe in the 50s or whatever.

Wow, just like that list about education, I'm leaving this higher ranked country for a lower ranked country next year, in this case, leaving #4 for #5.

I am honestly very surprised not to see Syria in the top ten of the least peaceful. It seems it narrowly does not make the top ten.

Anyways, I always find it interesting to see these kind of lists. A lot of the positions of countries in the list makes perfect, while others seems a bit iffy. I mean, Russia is a pretty messed up place by many factors, but I don't see why it is ranked so high. Is it really less peaceful than say Nigeria?

Since they compile these kind of lists annually, do these scores reflect how peaceful that country was in that given year of the report? A lot of these scores would make more sense if they still keep in mind the last ten years of that nation's previous records.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Vyufn.png

not bad

most peaceful country of latin america after Chile it seems
We were ahead last year... guess someone found out about the increasing violent crimes and that it wasn't just "apparent air temperature"...

Also most boring country.
You know is true, I'm not saying this only because I'm colombian :p
Montevideo is not called "Montebodrio" just because it's hilarious :p

Why uruguayos leave Uruguay? I don't really get it.
It's in our genes, like eating lots of meat, drinking mate, and striking for no reason.

Being a bit more serious, there were 2 periods where lots of people left: in the 70s due to the military regime, and in the 00s due to the economical crisis. Other times is simply because Uruguay isn't a land of opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom