• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't really help with similar suggestions, but something of note is that I think the skillset to be Scrabble is slightly different than you think. A good vocabulary and spelling skills will help, but I think you might not be giving anywhere near enough credit to pattern recognition and math as crucial aspects of the game. There's a lot more strategy to the game than being a good wordsmith.

I certainly agree. I just feel that skillset doesn't help so much with a below average player against a good player as much as it would be the difference between two good players. If this makes sense?

If you're willing to give up the word part of it, Quirkle is more heavily dependent on strategy and patterns. Relatively cheap.

Will check this out as well. We definitely like board games, but mostly looking for any good word games out there.

Karak

Not really sure if this is the thread for this, or if this is the same type of board game but thought I would try.

I am looking for a word style game sort of like Scrabble, but with more strategy and game elements to it. Me and some friends play Scrabble, but it can get not so fun when the same people win most of the time. So I was looking for a good game that includes both strategy and word type games. Sort of in a way to where a person really good with words and spelling would get some competition from someone who was simply better at the strategic aspect of the game. I have Word on the Street ordered, but was wondering if there was any that Gaf my suggest.

For me, Upwords is fun as hell.

Will check this out as well. We definitely like board games, but mostly looking for any good word games out there.

It's pretty much like scrabble except you don't need a dictionary. I find it a lot more fun than scrabble because you don't have to take a dictionary out every time someone puts out a weird word that kind of looks valid.

joelseph

Oh man, I didn't even see that post.

Pandemic is really good. It shares the same mechanics as Forbidden Island (same designer) and it's a bit more involved. I also picked up Flash Point: Fire Rescue recently. I haven't gotten it to the table yet but it looks pretty good.

Let me know how that goes, really wanting something more meaty than Leacock's stuff. Has anyone tried Space Alert?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's pretty much like scrabble except you don't need a dictionary. I find it a lot more fun than scrabble because you don't have to take a dictionary out every time someone puts out a weird word that kind of looks valid.

I haven't tried it yet but I own and have heard very good things about Prolix.

MrMan2k3

Not really sure if this is the thread for this, or if this is the same type of board game but thought I would try.

I am looking for a word style game sort of like Scrabble, but with more strategy and game elements to it. Me and some friends play Scrabble, but it can get not so fun when the same people win most of the time. So I was looking for a good game that includes both strategy and word type games. Sort of in a way to where a person really good with words and spelling would get some competition from someone who was simply better at the strategic aspect of the game. I have Word on the Street ordered, but was wondering if there was any that Gaf my suggest.

If you're looking for something similar to Scrabble, you might want to look into Nab-It!

I bought it for my wife last Christmas, and we've only played it a few times, but I remember it being fun. Like Upwords, tiles can be stacked on top of other tiles, and the height of your tiles can be more important than the words you make.

It should be cheaply available at Walmart, Target, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you're looking for something similar to Scrabble, you might want to look into Nab-It!

I bought it for my wife last Christmas, and we've only played it a few times, but I remember it being fun. Like Upwords, tiles can be stacked on top of other tiles, and the height of your tiles can be more important than the words you make.

It should be cheaply available at Walmart, Target, etc.

yeah I like nab-it. Very like upwards, but the rules are slightly different and so rewards a little more thought on letter placement rather than just piling on high. Plus its really compact - everything fits in a few bags, and you don't need a board - just a smooth surface, as the pieces interlock and you can spin them around for each player really easily.

Try also bananagrams which I've heard good things about, but I haven't personally played.

I have two suggestions:

Snatch: It's like Rummikub, but with words. You form words on the table with not only your hand, but also other players' completed words (you must use all of the letters legally). Complex, strategic, and could fall victim to AP.

Quiddler: A card game form of Gin Rummy? (more like Mahjong in terms of completion goals). Each round starts with an increasing hand size where players try to form the most or longest words with the number of letters available in a hand. Easily the most like Scrabble and is a favorite (can also suffer from AP, but not as much as Snatch, which I love, but have a hard time playing)

Unison

Something to check out, which is similar to Scrabble would be BuyWord. In it, you pay for letters, hoping to be able to incorporate them into large words, that you can sell back for a profit.

It's a simple game rules-wise, but it flexes entirely different vocabulary muscles than Scrabble. In this game, having the list of acceptable two letter words memorized is not useful. The math part of it might sound like a turn off, or a source of added complexity, but it isn't at all in practice.

It's just been reprinted and it costs $25 or so. Here are some reviews:
http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/13315/buyword/reviews

Niblet

Just received Dominion and Dominion: Prosperity, my first board games since my failed attempt at starting up a DnD night with my friends. Totally excite! Also just placed an order for Pandemic on Amazon for $20. I think this is enough game to start off with.

Jenga

Banned
Anyone here with experience on the Arkham Horror expansions? Are they all good? Any of em to avoid/not worth the cash?

Just received Dominion and Dominion: Prosperity, my first board games since my failed attempt at starting up a DnD night with my friends. Totally excite! Also just placed an order for Pandemic on Amazon for $20. I think this is enough game to start off with.

We should start a pool for when your next purchase happens.

Too easy to influence. I mean, I could predict like 2 days out, and then start talking about 7 Wonders a lot, and bam, winner.

Karak

Anyone here with experience on the Arkham Horror expansions? Are they all good? Any of em to avoid/not worth the cash?

Personally I found them all totally fine. But the game is already pretty complex. So its best to just introduce them 1 at a time to players.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

You should pick one of the better ones and just stick with that one. I made the mistake of really loving the base game and so going expansion-crazy but how many times do you seriously play AH in a year? I'd recommend Dunwich Horror for this purpose.

Friday game night recap:

Started with 4 players, got Hey! That's my Fish, Sorry! Sliders, and King of Tokyo in. I will never get over the amount of thinking that Hey That's my Fish provokes; I find myself really strategizing and I shake it off telling myself to stop because Hey That's my Fish is NOT that serious a game, haha.

5 others then came over for a total of 9. We decided to split into 2 groups right away and to bring it back for 1 big game to end the night. The 2 different groups played 2 brand new games for us, 4 played Battlestar Gallactica and the 5 group played Cosmic Encounters. I was with the latter and we all really liked it, although we screwed up a major rule on drawing cards/ships when successfully aiding in defense; we didn't know to do that for like 60% of the game.

The BSG group took much longer than us (about 4 hours total, I think) so we then played a game I have as a joke but have been reluctant to break out since the game is bad, but funny. It was Atmosfear, the DVD version of the 80's game, Nightmare. Nightmare is a roll and move game that you played while a VHS was playing, and at times in the video the GateKeeper character would interfere/interact with the players and their progress. Super cheesy but 80's youth goodness. Well Atmosfear is the DVD version of that and just as cheesy. The group ended up having fun but yeah, that game is for lolz basically.

The BSG group was still playing, so we played Dixit, my 3rd time, 1st time for the others though. It went really well and was a perfect way to wind down right as the BSG group finished.

Finally to end the night, we played a game of The Resistance but with plot cards for the first time. They went off really well and we'll probably use them everytime now. The Resistance has been on a losing streak so it was nice to beat the Spies for once. The plot cards helped to keep the game going.

Overall great night, my fiance and I were busy Sat night but I think the group continued with a 2nd night of games, and I have a feeling that Ultimate Werewolf hit the group for the 1st time, interested to see how that went.

Having a secret santa in the next two weeks. What should I get ($10-$15) for boardgame-minded people?

EDIT: Also, it shouldn't be an actual board game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Having a secret santa in the next two weeks. What should I get ($10-$15) for boardgame-minded people?

There's a good section on this topic by stooge in the OP

Offhand:

Innovation
Citadels
For Sale
Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers / Kids of Carcassonne
Forbidden Island
No Thanks

There's a good section on this topic by stooge in the OP

Offhand:

Innovation
Citadels
For Sale
Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers / Kids of Carcassonne
Forbidden Island
No Thanks

Forgot to add that it shouldn't be a boardgame LOL. Most of these people have a healthy collection. Wouldn't want to risk getting someone a dud copy.

Deadstar

There is a ridiculous sale on amazon right now for Dominion games. If you are missing any expansion pick it up now! The full expansions are on sale for around $21! The smaller expansions are going for $16 or so. This is a great deal. If I didn't already own every one, I'd buy them all. Even the new Hinterlands expansion is only $31! BUY BUY BUY!

There is a ridiculous sale on amazon right now for Dominion games. If you are missing any expansion pick it up now! The full expansions are on sale for around $21! The smaller expansions are going for $16 or so. This is a great deal. If I didn't already own every one, I'd buy them all. Even the new Hinterlands expansion is only $31! BUY BUY BUY!

You can get Hinterlands at Miniaturemarket for $24.77

Evlar

Banned

Thanks, I think I'm going to pick up Prosperity; it's the only big box expansion I don't own other than Hinterlands.

Hero

Part of Gryphter's game night from Friday and will add on to the recap.

Battlestar Galactica: This game I've been wanting to play for months and our one friend has had it since PAX East but has been busy and never had the necessary people or time to test this out before debuting it so we got a game in and worked our way through it. I don't want to say it's complicated in the sense that the mechanics are too hard or unclear but there's just so much going on and to keep track of that it was a bit daunting at first. When the second round of allegiance cards got dealt I saw that I was the Cylon and got a bit overwhelmed since I didn't know what to do. Right after this happened one of the other players wanted to throw someone into the brig and I wind up in there without getting a chance to do anything to sabotage. Since there were only 4 players I spent two turns trying to get out but it didn't happen and then finally we checked the ruling on what happened since it wasn't explained you could reveal yourself and suicide to the Cylon portion of the map. Once I could do that it got a little bit more interesting and the other players narrowly won (they were all in the red zone and morale and food were both at 1). I liked the game but it took so long but want to play it again in a smaller setting. With 4 players it seemed kind of easy to lock things down, are there any recommendations to go with 5 or 6?

Resistance: Finally got to play with plot cards and while they are powerful in their own right I think they open up the gameplay a bit more and give the Resistance a chance to have solid information instead of relying on voting patterns and mission results. It's not sided either since if a Spy gets to pass out leader cards he can help out his fellow spies by giving them good cards. Typically Spies always win in our games since previously we just played the base game without plot cards and the spies acknowledging each other before the game begins. However this time Resistance pulled ahead. The Spy team made a few errors that wound up costing them the game however. At the very beginning we used a card where someone had to reveal their allegiance card to another person so we picked the most notorious member of our group to show his card to the most trustworthy member of our group. The trustworthy member says the notorious player is clean. A few rounds later and the trustworthy member's turn to be leader got a card that says play immediately and as the leader you have to show your allegiance card to someone else. She decided to show the notorious member her card which I and a few others found kind of suspect since that doesn't really give the Resistance as a whole any new information. It goes through anyway and the notorious player confirms she is clean as well. A few rounds later the notorious member proposes a team and doesn't include the trustworthy member on his own mission proposal despite them both alleging and confirming to each other they are Resistance members. This sets off flags for another team member and me and we call him out on and he tries to play it off as a play mistake. During the last round of play a fellow Resistance member was given a plot card to look at the allegiance of someone to his left or right and looks at the trustworthy member's card and confirms it to be red and thus proving both she and the notorious member are both spies. We put together a team of all resistance members and win the game. Pretty epic.

Next night we played Werewolf for the first time. A few people were drunk and it made the game that much more difficult/annoying since we had to stop and explain things multiple times. In one of our first games one of the drunken players gets the seer card and when the moderator told him to point to someone for knowledge of Villager or Werewolf instead of seeing the answer he closes his eyes and misses the answer. He wound up pointing to the person who was actually the werewolf and villagers lost that game rather quickly.

Another game where I was moderating and during the first night when I ask the werewolf to point to someone to kill, he points at someone and I nod to confirm and tell the werewolf to close their eyes. Instead of just simply doing so he says out loud "Wait a sec" and I just flat out stare him down and there's a slight awkward pause before an abrupt laughter fills the room. Needless to say he was promptly lynched in the morning.

I bought it when it came out for $39.99 :(. Great expansion though. I'll check out minaturemarket, I'm not familiar with that site.

They have some of the best price on games, even better than Coolstuff with free shipping available. There selection is not as extensive though as some other sites.

Deadstar

I'd like to get into some co op games. What would you guys recommend as the #1 co op board game? I've heard of pandemic, defenders of the realm and forbidden island but haven't played any of them yet.

Hero

Yeah, I only play it with 5 or 6. If there's only 4 of us, theres a better game in my collection to play.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I think going with 5 or 6 will be the standard next time. Though it seems with 2/5 as Cylons it might be overkill. Thoughts?

I'd like to get into some co op games. What would you guys recommend as the #1 co op board game? I've heard of pandemic, defenders of the realm and forbidden island but haven't played any of them yet.

Pandemic and Forbidden Island are very similar. Pandemic is a bit more fleshed out / strategic but it is really, really, really hard. Due to the game mechanics I believe it's quite possible to have 0% success rate scenarios. If you don't like losing games don't consider Pandemic. I liked it for a while but I feel like there's too much luck involved. Forbidden Island is somewhat similar but is shorter, less complicated and a bit cheaper.

Neverfade

Yeah, that's what I figured. I think going with 5 or 6 will be the standard next time. Though it seems with 2/5 as Cylons it might be overkill. Thoughts?
It's just something that's going to come with time. As your group gets more experienced, the easier it will be for humans. Incorporating both expansions helps too. We're at the point where we know what parts of the expansions work the best to create a level yet tense playing field.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
-Pandemic or Forbidden Island for the abstract, quick, fairly lightweight experience. FI is definitely simpler, but Pandemic is hardly complex, so it just depends on your audience and what type of game you're into. Pandemic is also harder to win at default difficulty, but not really that tough, especially once you get a few games under your belt. There's a nice tension.
-Ghost Stories for a truly tough experience -- not much more complex than Pandemic but a real grind to win. Needs exactly 4 to really work well though.
-Battlestar or Shadows over Camelot (BSG, but simpler) for heavier games with a traitor.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's Le Havre + Farmers of the Moor. Pretty straightforward actually. Deeper than both though was my first impression.

LProtag

My first game of Blood Bowl Team Manager was pretty fun, only had two players though, interested to see how it will work with more.

I just picked up the Game of Thrones Card Game from Amazon because it was on sale for 18 dollars and I had a 5 dollar promotion from my Kindle. If it's interesting I could see myself buying too many of the expansions, haha.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My first game of Blood Bowl Team Manager was pretty fun, only had two players though, interested to see how it will work with more.

I just picked up the Game of Thrones Card Game from Amazon because it was on sale for 18 dollars and I had a 5 dollar promotion from my Kindle. If it's interesting I could see myself buying too many of the expansions, haha.

Increasingly I think the best number for it is 3. It's fine with 4 but it just takes longer than I think most people expect.

Neverfade

Seems like a game you'd hate, from my impression of your tastes. Aren't you the biggest eurohater around?

Not really, there are euro style games I love. I just happen to hate the one that's become the forerunner of the genre. From the vids I've watched, O&L eliminates many of the issues I have with Agricola.

PS. TTA SUX. TRUFAX. :p

XShagrath

Tried out a couple new games today:

Dungeon Run - Seems like it has cool mechanics, but we screwed up a couple rules. Only played a two player game, and I think 3-5 is probably the sweet spot on this one.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue - I liked this one a lot. We played the easiest scenario with the advanced rules and didn't really run into any problems.

Looking forward to trying both of these again during my Winter Break.

marrec

Banned
Hey Board-Game GAF, was thinking about getting the Discworld: Ankh Morpork game for my Fiancee for Christmas and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

There are reviews online, but I only trust my fellows GAFers.

MichaelBD

Hey Board-Game GAF, was thinking about getting the Discworld: Ankh Morpork game for my Fiancee for Christmas and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

There are reviews online, but I only trust my fellows GAFers.
I have it and have played maybe half a dozen games. I really like it and so do a handful of the people I regularly game with. There are a few who don't like it because they feel it is too random and/or chaotic.

Basically it's an area control game with card draws. There are secret win objectives for all players so a big part of the game is bluffing and figuring out what win condition your opponent has. You have a draw of cards and the cards have symbols on them that you can choose to play (you always play them from left to right in the order they appear, but again, playing symbols is optional). Symbols let you put your guys on the board, assassinate other players' guys, build buildings, get money, etc. The only symbol you have to play is the event symbol, which means you pull from the event deck and chaos ensues. Controlling certain areas of the board gives you special abilities. It's real easy to learn and teach.

You can get some real funky card combinations and there is lots of player interaction/screwage.

The big draw for me is being a fan of the Discworld series. A lot of the humor from the books comes through in the game.

So I just purchased dread fleet and star trek fleet captains on a impulse. Am I going to have buyers remorse lol.

Fleet captains is an awesome trek game. Dreadfleet you might regret just because of all the work you need to do putting it together and dealing with storing the fragile ships

TheExodu5

Banned
Whoa, Game of Thrones Second Edition came out already? I thought it was only coming out this month. Damn.

Ordered!

Can't wait, the original was awesome, despite having some issues that I hope the Second Edition fixes.

Part of Gryphter's game night from Friday and will add on to the recap.

Battlestar Galactica: This game I've been wanting to play for months and our one friend has had it since PAX East but has been busy and never had the necessary people or time to test this out before debuting it so we got a game in and worked our way through it. I don't want to say it's complicated in the sense that the mechanics are too hard or unclear but there's just so much going on and to keep track of that it was a bit daunting at first. When the second round of allegiance cards got dealt I saw that I was the Cylon and got a bit overwhelmed since I didn't know what to do. Right after this happened one of the other players wanted to throw someone into the brig and I wind up in there without getting a chance to do anything to sabotage. Since there were only 4 players I spent two turns trying to get out but it didn't happen and then finally we checked the ruling on what happened since it wasn't explained you could reveal yourself and suicide to the Cylon portion of the map. Once I could do that it got a little bit more interesting and the other players narrowly won (they were all in the red zone and morale and food were both at 1). I liked the game but it took so long but want to play it again in a smaller setting. With 4 players it seemed kind of easy to lock things down, are there any recommendations to go with 5 or 6?

Resistance: Finally got to play with plot cards and while they are powerful in their own right I think they open up the gameplay a bit more and give the Resistance a chance to have solid information instead of relying on voting patterns and mission results. It's not sided either since if a Spy gets to pass out leader cards he can help out his fellow spies by giving them good cards. Typically Spies always win in our games since previously we just played the base game without plot cards and the spies acknowledging each other before the game begins. However this time Resistance pulled ahead. The Spy team made a few errors that wound up costing them the game however. At the very beginning we used a card where someone had to reveal their allegiance card to another person so we picked the most notorious member of our group to show his card to the most trustworthy member of our group. The trustworthy member says the notorious player is clean. A few rounds later and the trustworthy member's turn to be leader got a card that says play immediately and as the leader you have to show your allegiance card to someone else. She decided to show the notorious member her card which I and a few others found kind of suspect since that doesn't really give the Resistance as a whole any new information. It goes through anyway and the notorious player confirms she is clean as well. A few rounds later the notorious member proposes a team and doesn't include the trustworthy member on his own mission proposal despite them both alleging and confirming to each other they are Resistance members. This sets off flags for another team member and me and we call him out on and he tries to play it off as a play mistake. During the last round of play a fellow Resistance member was given a plot card to look at the allegiance of someone to his left or right and looks at the trustworthy member's card and confirms it to be red and thus proving both she and the notorious member are both spies. We put together a team of all resistance members and win the game. Pretty epic.

Next night we played Werewolf for the first time. A few people were drunk and it made the game that much more difficult/annoying since we had to stop and explain things multiple times. In one of our first games one of the drunken players gets the seer card and when the moderator told him to point to someone for knowledge of Villager or Werewolf instead of seeing the answer he closes his eyes and misses the answer. He wound up pointing to the person who was actually the werewolf and villagers lost that game rather quickly.

Another game where I was moderating and during the first night when I ask the werewolf to point to someone to kill, he points at someone and I nod to confirm and tell the werewolf to close their eyes. Instead of just simply doing so he says out loud "Wait a sec" and I just flat out stare him down and there's a slight awkward pause before an abrupt laughter fills the room. Needless to say he was promptly lynched in the morning.

First off, don't play with any expansion content to begin with.

Second, this is a game where you really want to try to play with 5 players. The Cylon Sympathizer is a terrible way to balance out the 4 and 6 player games as it encourages the humans to want to get into the red before the halfway point...I prefer to balance it out by lowering the human resources by a bit. Still, 5 players it the optimal number for this game.

You definitely want to replay it. It's by far my favorite board game as it's so dynamic. You'll come to appreciate it even more as you keep playing it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Whoa, Game of Thrones Second Edition came out already? I thought it was only coming out this month. Damn.

Ordered!

Can't wait, the original was awesome, despite having some issues that I hope the Second Edition fixes.

Never played the first edition, but played v2 yesterday; it was pretty fun. Took about five hours start to finish for 6P w/ teaching but we did finish. I dominated in supply, which wasn't so helpful so a supply literally didn't come out until R7 (and game ended R8) so I was mostly sitting back waiting to muster a big offensive that never came.

TheExodu5

Banned
Judging by your comment, it might still have my biggest issue from the first edition: the randomness and importance of supply/mustering. Too much of the game relies on such a random mechanic. Last game I played, we didn't get a single supply all game, just constantly got musterings.

Neverfade

Judging by your comment, it might still have my biggest issue from the first edition: the randomness and importance of supply/mustering. Too much of the game relies on such a random mechanic. Last game I played, we didn't get a single supply all game, just constantly got musterings.

Storm of Swords expansion largely fixed that in first edition. Admittedly, that's an expensive fix if you're not interested in the alternate game.

Never played the first edition, but played v2 yesterday; it was pretty fun. Took about five hours start to finish for 6P w/ teaching but we did finish. I dominated in supply, which wasn't so helpful so a supply literally didn't come out until R7 (and game ended R8) so I was mostly sitting back waiting to muster a big offensive that never came.

Consolidate Special?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom