• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverfade

Doesn't 2nd edition come with the expansion rules integrated now? Got my copy the other day but haven't dug into it yet.

Many, but I don't know if the SoS Westeros Deck is specifically included. Most of the changes were from Clash of Kings: Ports, additional units, starting positions, etc.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Storm of Swords expansion largely fixed that in first edition. Admittedly, that's an expensive fix if you're not interested in the alternate game.

Consolidate Special?

May be wrong it was my first game after all), but I think even with that you're still bound by supply restrictions. So the way the cards broke, it favored expanding even recklessly because there were at least four musterings before a supply came out, so those building up an army early on were capping out since supply didn't come out until endgame. Which is fair, I mean it's a bet. Also since it was my first game I'm sure there were 20 alternatives I could have tried to mitigate the situation.

Did enjoy, will play again.

Storm of Swords expansion largely fixed that in first edition. Admittedly, that's an expensive fix if you're not interested in the alternate game.
Clash of Kings introduced the option to display the next three events from the event deck. I haven't played that option yet but it seems to help fix the supply/muster problem of the base game. It's a bit shitty if the second edition didn't include that rule.

Just as an FYI, the way the rule works is you flip up the top three cards from each event deck and line them up. For each event phase you do the event at the front of the line and shift the line up one space and draw a new card. It allows the players to plan a bit as they can see the next three events at any one time.

TheExodu5

Banned
Clash of Kings introduced the option to display the next three events from the event deck. I haven't played that option yet but it seems to help fix the supply/muster problem of the base game. It's a bit shitty if the second edition didn't include that rule.

Just as an FYI, the way the rule works is you flip up the top three cards from each event deck and line them up. For each event phase you do the event at the front of the line and shift the line up one space and draw a new card. It allows the players to plan a bit as they can see the next three events at any one time.

That sounds like a great change to the rules. Really, you could do that with just the base game. Even if it's not included in the ruleset, I think I'll be trying it out.

Neverfade

Never was a big fan of it myself. Knowing you won't be mustering for 3 rounds doesn't help that you still aren't mustering.

SOS Deck got rid of shuffles. 4 musters. 4 Supplies. 2 cards that let the controller of the Iron Throne choose. Perfect.

TheExodu5 said:
That sounds like a great change to the rules. Really, you could do that with just the base game. Even if it's not included in the ruleset, I think I'll be trying it out.
Just take a look at the exact rules in the Clash of Kings rulebook on boardgamegeek. It'll be really easy to do with the cards you have.

Never was a big fan of it myself. Knowing you won't be mustering for 3 rounds doesn't help that you still aren't mustering.
True but at least you know, for a fact, that muster is coming up and so you can plan accordingly. In my first game we spent a good chunk of the game with no musters so our all of our units were spread way too thin.
SOS Deck got rid of shuffles. 4 musters. 4 Supplies. 2 cards that let the controller of the Iron Throne choose. Perfect.
That sounds good too. It's a shame they didn't fix the Westeros deck in the second edition by either adding in the CoK rules or SoS deck. It's the worst part of the base game by far.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Come now, how can FFG sell you an expansion if they include everything into the base game? :) Heck, I'm surprised they didn't include minis of the main characters that they could cross-sell to Battles of Westeros fans, like they do with Descent/Runebound.

I just hope they advance the storyline into AFFC/ADWD and include some stuff from Essos. Random invasions from the Second Sons and other free companies, Dany making her move, more significant Wildling attacks, Church forces, etc.

I have the original and both expansions so I'm in no hurry to buy the second edition. I'm gonna wait to see how they expand it.

Come now, how can FFG sell you an expansion if they include everything into the base game? :) Heck, I'm surprised they didn't include minis of the main characters that they could cross-sell to Battles of Westeros fans, like they do with Descent/Runebound.

I just hope they advance the storyline into AFFC/ADWD and include some stuff from Essos. Random invasions from the Second Sons and other free companies, Dany making her move, more significant Wildling attacks, Church forces, etc.

I have the original and both expansions so I'm in no hurry to buy the second edition. I'm gonna wait to see how they expand it.

With new expansions? Anyways it seems like FFG is trying to step away from the the size of some of their games lately and cutting back on number of big expansions for games. Production costs going up and the general notion that expansions will sell less than a base game?

Niblet

Field Report: Played my first ever game of Dominion today with 2 other friends. I had read the rules before hand and they knew nothing. It was so easy to pick up and get into the flow of things. We played two games. Each of us thoroughly enjoyed it; we can't wait to play again! I noticed that we were gravitating towards the Action - Attack cards (I went militia heavy our first game and game 2 my friends took all the spies along with a sprinkling of militia). I think that I'll be picking up Dominion: Intrigue to compliment our attack heavy style of play. I just want to get it for less than $30.

I'm going to propose a game night. I'd love to do this at least once a week.

Also, Pandemic arrived today. Don't know when I'll play this one as it seems a much more involved game.

Damn I want to play Dominion again ._.

Field Report: Played my first ever game of Dominion today with 2 other friends. I had read the rules before hand and they knew nothing. It was so easy to pick up and get into the flow of things. We played two games. Each of us thoroughly enjoyed it; we can't wait to play again! I noticed that we were gravitating towards the Action - Attack cards (I went militia heavy our first game and game 2 my friends took all the spies along with a sprinkling of militia). I think that I'll be picking up Dominion: Intrigue to compliment our attack heavy style of play. I just want to get it for less than $30.

Also, Pandemic arrived today. Don't know when I'll play this one as it seems a much more involved game.

Protip with Pandemic: play a couple solo games to get the hang of the rules. The game is not that hard to teach if you have a good handle on the rules. With pure co-op games it's easy to play solo. Just pick two characters and go.

Hero

If you can't wait you can always play Dominion online. http://dominion.isotropic.org/

As for Pandemic do what Joey said and just play a few practice games with yourself as two characters or so to get a feel for the game. It's really not that complicated rules wise but the mechanics and difficulty might be a deterrent for newbies. You can probably even see some tutorial videos online. Expect to lose a lot though.

I'm pleasantly suprised with the latest math trade results. I got The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and 2 De Mayo for Innovation and my old Aliens Quadrilogy dvd set. I wasn't expecting to get anything this go around.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

So if you are in the U.S., there are lots of good cheap online retailers. coolstuffinc, thoughthammer, and miniaturemarket seem to be three of the more popular ones here. all have intrigue for less than 30.

Niblet

So if you are in the U.S., there are lots of good cheap online retailers. coolstuffinc, thoughthammer, and miniaturemarket seem to be three of the more popular ones here. all have intrigue for less than 30.

The cost of shipping kills those deals for me. I have Amazon Prime and I could just buy intrigue from amazon for $30 with 2 day UPS shipping. But realistically if I can't get it for less I'll settle at $30. However I don't think I'll need to buy intrigue for a while. We've just started the game plus I have yet to open prosperity. I think if I wait I can convince my friends to chip in towards intrigue.

If we agree to have a game night, I want another game to add to the stable. Carcassonne a good one for 2-4 players? It's pretty easy to get into from what I understand.

Edit: Oh, hey. Maybe I should read the OP -_-

The cost of shipping kills those deals for me. I have Amazon Prime and I could just buy intrigue from amazon for $30 with 2 day UPS shipping. But realistically if I can't get it for less I'll settle at $30. However I don't think I'll need to buy intrigue for a while. We've just started the game plus I have yet to open prosperity. I think if I wait I can convince my friends to chip in towards intrigue.

If we agree to have a game night, I want another game to add to the stable. Carcassonne a good one for 2-4 players? It's pretty easy to get into from what I understand.

Carcassonne is very good. It is very simple and it has a some strategy involved. Definitely recommend it as your next step in your BG collection.

Also, look around your area for a board game store. It's probably a tad bit expensive, but you don't have to pay shipping or wait. Plus, you're helping a local business out. They almost always have a boardgame night where you can go and try out almost any game you want (they usually have demo copies of all the games they sell) or just go with your friends to demo a game there. Definitely a good resource if you can find it.

Edit: Oh, hey. Maybe I should read the OP -_-

Thats why you go full out on board gaming and buy a ton of shit for free shipping!

Math trade?
On Boardgamegeek people will run Math Trades. You put up an item and tell the program what you are willing to trade for that item. The program will then create a chain of trades so you get what you want. Sometimes it will find a suitable chain sometimes it wont. Out of the three items I put up I was able to trade away two of them.

Here is a small scale example of how math trades work. You have item A and you want C. John has C but he wants B. Jeff has B but wants Item A. So you send item A to Jeff who sends B to John and sends you C.

Slacker

I play Dominion on Boardgamearena.com, is Isotropic.org a better experience?

Haven't played on boardgamearena.com so I can't compare and contrast, but isotropic.org is excellent. The visuals are simple but effective, there's nothing to install, and there are always lots of experienced players ready to go.

Hero

I play Dominion on Boardgamearena.com, is Isotropic.org a better experience?

Never heard of that site you use but Isotropic.org is awesome, you just play it in a web browser and you can meet up with friends (or GAFers) for private games or play games with random people and even customize card selection, card banning, etc. If you tie your yahoo or google account you can even play ranked games. I believe Isotropic is a non-official but officially supported by Donald X who is the creator of the game. The server is always popping and actually sometimes can be hard to get into in the middle of the day because of so many people playing. Also when new sets are coming out they are really quick to program and implement the new cars even before the actual expansion comes out.

joelseph

I will check it out after I get out from behind this nannywall. Are there other games on Isotropic? There are a few other good ones on Boardgamearena but there is never a bunch of people playing.

So isotropic is not blocked here and I am checking it right now. Won't get a chance to play a game until tonight. Initial thoughts are that it is much more minimal, which I consider a good thing.

Played the coop scenario of Rune Age and the four of us got destroyed real quick, the tier 1 creatures we got tossed up against was incredibly broken and it was a quick game... meh. I still like the game, but I will not buy Rune Age until it gets an expansion or two, the game needs more variety.

Also played Panic Station. Pretty fun simple game which sadly comes with a useless rulebook. You HAVE to download the updated rulebook from their site as it adds about 4 more pages of rules to make the game playable.... nice concept of a game but easily the sloppiest rulebook I've seen in a long time. Even with the new rulebook, there was some vague stuff and some still expect a few more revisions of the rules before a "final" version is finalized.

fenners

Game Night was busy last night - 8 players split into three games. Two people playing Eminent Domain, 3 people playing Game of Thrones LCG, and three of us playing Pret-A-Porter.

Pret-A-Porter was a major disappointment. Horrible iconography. Horrible cheat-sheets. A super-tight economy that got busted after the first fashion show because one player got extremely lucky card-draw. After that, we couldn't compete with him at all. The rich get very rich, quickly.

All in all, "meh".

We rinsed our palate with a quick 4 player game of Pax. Still enjoyable.

I'm pleasantly suprised with the latest math trade results. I got The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and 2 De Mayo for Innovation and my old Aliens Quadrilogy dvd set. I wasn't expecting to get anything this go around.
If I ever show up to WestSide, I'll bring my LOTR cards so we can co-op. I can't beat the 2nd scenario.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ameritrashers: What's the word on the Game of Thrones LCG? Really dug the board game and I'd love a game that has at least a flavor of the diplomacy aspect but maybe plays a little quicker. Don't know if LCG fits the bill. Also not the hugest fan of the LCG concept, but I don't mind frequent expansions (sometimes not much of a distinction between those two other than that many LCGs seem to basically require an expansion or two to even work right).

marrec

Banned
I have it and have played maybe half a dozen games. I really like it and so do a handful of the people I regularly game with. There are a few who don't like it because they feel it is too random and/or chaotic.

Basically it's an area control game with card draws. There are secret win objectives for all players so a big part of the game is bluffing and figuring out what win condition your opponent has. You have a draw of cards and the cards have symbols on them that you can choose to play (you always play them from left to right in the order they appear, but again, playing symbols is optional). Symbols let you put your guys on the board, assassinate other players' guys, build buildings, get money, etc. The only symbol you have to play is the event symbol, which means you pull from the event deck and chaos ensues. Controlling certain areas of the board gives you special abilities. It's real easy to learn and teach.

You can get some real funky card combinations and there is lots of player interaction/screwage.

The big draw for me is being a fan of the Discworld series. A lot of the humor from the books comes through in the game.

So as a fan of both Discworld and Munchkins it would pretty much be the perfect gift?

I got the base set and I really didn't care for GOT LCG. Was originally a CCG that got converted to the LCG release format. The rulebook for it is also garbage I thought, I read it only once but was kinda lukewarm on the game in general.

I would say look at the faq for the game, it will probably instantly turn off new buyers since it is massive with all the card rulings. Game has a fanbase and been around for some time so it has that whole CCG aspect to it of a game that has been around for a while with tons of rulings and shit that make it hard to catch up.

Their other LCG's to me are much more focused and less cluttered.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I got the base set and I really didn't care for GOT LCG. Was originally a CCG that got converted to the LCG release format. The rulebook for it is also garbage I thought, I read it only once but was kinda lukewarm on the game in general.

I would say look at the faq for the game, it will probably instantly turn off new buyers since it is massive with all the card rulings. Game has a fanbase and been around for some time so it has that whole CCG aspect to it of a game that has been around for a while with tons of rulings and shit that make it hard to catch up.

Their other LCG's to me are much more focused and less cluttered.

haha ok thanks. definitely doesn't sound like the game for me then. i'll just see if i can set up another play of the board game.

Evlar

Banned
The Warhammer LCG is preferable, then? I was pondering investing in either that or GOT LCG and never came to a conclusion.

The Warhammer LCG is preferable, then? I was pondering investing in either that or GOT LCG and never came to a conclusion.

Warhammer Invasion is a much simpler game that was made for the LCG format. It has release a bunch of stuff but still has nowhere as many cards or confusing huge faq as the GOT LCG has. Rules are pretty quick and simple read through, far quicker than Warhammer. The amount of expansion packs for GoT is crazy since they repackaged years of the old reprinted CCG cards.

Warhammer is more straightforward and quick playing game as it's focused on battling though has lot of common CCG tropes in mechanics/deck styles. Warhammer's only issue is that it's supposed to be a 2 player game, last I checked they haven't made any type of rules for more players as they wanted to keep the game design focused on one on one play and not get muddled with rules and card design with more players in mind.

*EDIT: Looks like they added on the support page some alternate game mode rules including 3 on 3 team play

TheExodu5

Banned
Just take a look at the exact rules in the Clash of Kings rulebook on boardgamegeek. It'll be really easy to do with the cards you have.

True but at least you know, for a fact, that muster is coming up and so you can plan accordingly. In my first game we spent a good chunk of the game with no musters so our all of our units were spread way too thin.
That sounds good too. It's a shame they didn't fix the Westeros deck in the second edition by either adding in the CoK rules or SoS deck. It's the worst part of the base game by far.

Eh? So I might have been better off just buying CoK and SoS for my first edition? I ordered the second edition under the impression that it brought the fixes from CoK and SoS. :(

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
just bought Castle Panic

61lo5PtLLtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Neverfade

Ameritrashers: What's the word on the Game of Thrones LCG? Really dug the board game and I'd love a game that has at least a flavor of the diplomacy aspect but maybe plays a little quicker. Don't know if LCG fits the bill. Also not the hugest fan of the LCG concept, but I don't mind frequent expansions (sometimes not much of a distinction between those two other than that many LCGs seem to basically require an expansion or two to even work right).

I second the above. GOT LCG , while not a horrible game, isn't even their best LCG. Warhammer or just wait for Star Wars.

Eh? So I might have been better off just buying CoK and SoS for my first edition? I ordered the second edition under the impression that it brought the fixes from CoK and SoS. :(

Well I'll trade you Clash of Kings for the second edition. :p

I think they did include some fixes. I know the Ports rule which was added in Clash of Kings is default for the second edition. The fix I was referring to was just the Westeros cards which are the same in the second edition as they are in the first edition. The rule I mentioned can easily be implemented with the included cards. I would just stick with the Second Edition.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think they did include some fixes. I know the Ports rule which was added in Clash of Kings is default for the second edition. The fix I was referring to was just the Westeros cards which are the same in the second edition as they are in the first edition. The rule I mentioned can easily be implemented with the included cards. I would just stick with the Second Edition.

So, basically just take out the shuffle cards?

If it's a rule that can be implemented on my own, that's fine. I might start off with doing the 3-card preview. That sounds like a pretty good fix on its own.

So, basically just take out the shuffle cards?

If it's a rule that can be implemented on my own, that's fine. I might start off with doing the 3-card preview. That sounds like a pretty good fix on its own.
I don't know the distribution of the SoS cards so just do the preview thing. You can google for the Clash of Kings rules and it will describe what you need to do on Page 9 with an example on Page 10.

Shoogoo

GAF I need your help for yet another christmas present suggestion.

This would be for my brother, and those are some intel to help you pinpoint what would best suit his tastes;

- Smallworld is his favorite board game.

- Preferably with no dice/randomness.

- The artwork is also important, it has to be stylish.

Slacker

Thanks, didn't know about this one. I gave his girlfriend a call and apparently he bought it a few weeks ago :<

Anything else?

What else does he play? Does he have Dominion? I can't really think of anything that's similar to Small World without any dice/randomness thrown in.

Thanks, didn't know about this one. I gave his girlfriend a call and apparently he bought it a few weeks ago :<

Anything else?

Smallworld tunnels? so you can play a mega game of smallworld joining both maps or maybe the rest of the expansions.

Other than that, it's hard to say. Giving anything like smallworld would be like having the same game thrice. Preferred number of players? length? theme?

Olympos is from the same creator, worth a look I guess.

Dungeon Lords (or the upcoming Dungeon Petz) has a cartoony fantasy style and no dice but it's a gamer's game. Long, heavy and not worth it for less than 3 or 4 people (or so I heard). Belfort might fit the bill too.

Resident Evil new set is out for those few that care here. Box is sized and comes with dividers to hold all three previous sets in one place finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom