• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
Does anyone know where the best pre-order price for Last Night on Earth:Timber Peak is? I had no idea it was coming and definitely want more LNOE.

I really wish they'd bundle all the supplements for cheaper. I want the additional cards, but like $10 for 20 or so cards is highway robbery. Give me the whole set for $20 and I'd be on board.

No problem. While the briefcase is cool I just keep everything in the two boxes. I'm thinking about consolidating it into one box but the insert works so well I hate to throw it out. Both sets won't fit in one box with the insert.

I'll give it a go in the boxes or try and get them into one but then I might try a briefcase set. It would probably make it heaps easier for transporting anyway.

Yeah the base LNOE box has a lot of extra space. I have a bunch of expansions and they fit pretty well into base & Growing Hunger. One recommendation though is don't get expansions until you're burned out on the base game -- made this mistake with both LNOE and Arkham Horror and for the most part I'm still enjoying the main game in both even though I have expansions that are now years old and mostly unplayed. (I do actually play with some of the small-box LNOE expansions just for the extra cards and heroes.)

Yeah we've played so much LNoE that we're ready for an expansion. We have only recently started using expansion for Battlestar Galactica and we're enjoying that.

Does anyone know where the best pre-order price for Last Night on Earth:Timber Peak is? I had no idea it was coming and definitely want more LNOE.

I really wish they'd bundle all the supplements for cheaper. I want the additional cards, but like $10 for 20 or so cards is highway robbery. Give me the whole set for $20 and I'd be on board.

Milsims for Aussies is a good site to order from but I'm not sure what is best for other countries.

Coolstuffinc has it up for preorder. You can also preorder it directly from Flying Frog. It's cheaper from CSI but Flying Frog will throw in a bunch of crap you don't want. Hint: Order from CSI.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wow I didn't know Timber Peak was a standalone expansion.

Really need to bust out LNOE. One of those "wouldn't it be fun to play this!" games where we always wind up playing something else. It's a super-fun game but not the best game night game unless people know the rules (simple but weirdly sloggy to teach).

Oh btw if you have 7 Wonders you have to get the official companion app on iOS. Does all your scoring for you and even better crazy amount of stat tracking. Apparently in all my games I get 36.6% of my scoring from science and 29.6% from civilian. Never really thought of myself as a science guy but sample size is only 4 so who knows. I really ignore military.

Petrie

Banned

Really need to bust out LNOE. One of those "wouldn't it be fun to play this!" games where we always wind up playing something else. It's a super-fun game but not the best game night game unless people know the rules (simple but weirdly sloggy to teach).

I don't think I'll get anyone to play again till October unfortunately.

CSI's mobile site won't add the expansion preorder to my cart. Anyone else have that issue?

We recently started to play it again after years of just sitting on my shelf. It's still far and away the best Zombie game I've played. I've also started to play the two player scenario with my wife and son. Even though he's three he loves to roll the dice and gets a kick out of the zombies. I'm hoping Zombicide is just as good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
We recently started to play it again after years of just sitting on my shelf. It's still far and away the best Zombie game I've played. I've also started to play the two player scenario with my wife and son. Even though he's three he loves to roll the dice and gets a kick out of the zombies. I'm hoping Zombicide is just as good.

What's the scenario? Don't think I've seen that. Agree on it being the best Zombie game far and away. It's not an outstanding game from a mechanics perspective (pretty average), but in terms of theme being represented in the mechanics and gameplay it's absolutely one of the best ever. So many awesome tales of last-minute escapes and near-escapes by the heroes.

Petrie

Banned
Of course I have to force myself to spend enough with CSI to qualify for free shipping, meaning in addition to the LNOE expansion, I grabbed Descent 2nd edition, Ticket to Ride 1912 expansion, and some counter cases. This trickery with free shipping just isn't fair.

Can't wait to visit Syracuse this week and hit Play the Game for some actual real life browsing!

I'm waiting to see what Zombicide is like also. There are some cool miniatures with that by the looks.

Been considering LNoE, not totally sold... it seems like it might be a little dice heavy, and perhaps boring for the zombies? is there any real strategy in the game or is it just about thematic "lucky escapes" and such?

What's the scenario? Don't think I've seen that. Agree on it being the best Zombie game far and away. It's not an outstanding game from a mechanics perspective (pretty average), but in terms of theme being represented in the mechanics and gameplay it's absolutely one of the best ever. So many awesome tales of last-minute escapes and near-escapes by the heroes.
In the back of the Growing Hunger rule book there is a two player scenario. Basically you put two L shaped boards together to form a rectangle. One player plays a hero and the othe plays the zombies. Zombies get 7 figures and can only spawn a d3. If you have to role for a random building one board is 1-3 while the other is 4-6. There is 10 turns and the survivor needs to kill 6 zombies to win. The zombie player wins if they kill the survivor or they survive all 10 rounds. It's a quick game that lasts for 30 minutes or so.

I'm waiting to see what Zombicide is like also. There are some cool miniatures with that by the looks.
The rules seem ok. I still may house rule the friendly fire rule but other than that it looks like it might be pretty good.

Been considering LNoE, not totally sold... it seems like it might be a little dice heavy, and perhaps boring for the zombies? is there any real strategy in the game or is it just about thematic "lucky escapes" and such?
The game is a luckfest but it's a really well done thematic luckfest. The games I've played usually turn into nail biters for both teams and everyone seems to have a good time. The cards also help break up the dice rolling monotony and the zombie player's whole deck is filled with FU survivor cards. That can be loads of fun for the player with a mean streak to them. To counter that the survivor's deck is weapons heavy that really help out the human team.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's definitely fun for the zombies and actually probably more strategic. Fun basically comes from the event cards (which you get a ton of throughout the game) and coordinating your horde to maximize the value of your cards. Combat is dice-based but I don't mind that.

It's such a simple yet fun game and it nails the B-Grade zombie film feel perfectly. Definitely worth the purchases.

JesseZao

Tabletop must be doing well, apparently they struck a deal with Target to sell all the games featured on the shows:

http://geekandsundry.com/geek-sundry-target/

Not surprised, when they announced the show I knew it'd be a great thing. The hobby is really hitting mainstream and I'm happy to see this has helped. The people at my FLGS were also noticing the Tabletop effect.

Speaking of Target, they had Rune Age on clearance for 8.98 the other day. Anyone else played it much? Seemed like a good deal.

Oh btw if you have 7 Wonders you have to get the official companion app on iOS. Does all your scoring for you and even better crazy amount of stat tracking. Apparently in all my games I get 36.6% of my scoring from science and 29.6% from civilian. Never really thought of myself as a science guy but sample size is only 4 so who knows. I really ignore military.

That seems like more work than necessary to score 7 Wonders. Are you basically just filling in your scorecard, but on the iPad, or does it do it in a different way (like take a pic of your board or something magical like that)?

Not surprised, when they announced the show I knew it'd be a great thing. The hobby is really hitting mainstream and I'm happy to see this has helped. The people at my FLGS were also noticing the Tabletop effect.

Speaking of Target, they had Rune Age on clearance for 8.98 the other day. Anyone else played it much? Seemed like a good deal.

I wouldn't call the show mainstream....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That seems like more work than necessary to score 7 Wonders. Are you basically just filling in your scorecard, but on the iPad, or does it do it in a different way (like take a pic of your board or something magical like that)?
Not like scorepad. It auto-calculates your max science score (including wilds), knows every wonder, etc. if you know your way around the app it's faster. More importantly detailed stat tracking. I wouldn't play without the app again.

tm24

So yesterday i got an email stating the Kings of Tokyo was in stock while i was at work. Then when i came home it was out of stock. The gaming gods hate me

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So yesterday i got an email stating the Kings of Tokyo was in stock while i was at work. Then when i came home it was out of stock. The gaming gods hate me

Solution: Why don't you order while at work.

So my sister and her husband have been coming over and the 3-5 of us always play Dominion ( and seaside) we love it and are looking for a few other games!

any recommendations besides the stuff in the OP?

Wle also play forbidden island and Risk 2210 sometimes but we like dominion more.

So my sister and her husband have been coming over and the 3-5 of us always play Dominion ( and seaside) we love it and are looking for a few other games!

any recommendations besides the stuff in the OP?

Wle also play forbidden island and Risk 2210 sometimes but we like dominion more.

Last Night on Earth
Mansions of Madness
Battlestar Galactica

These are games my group plays and we love them all. Though they aren't as easy as Catan and Ticket to Ride to play for newer players.

Dreavus

Got a chance to actually play some Dominion a few nights ago. I forget how much I like that game, since it doesn't seem to hit our table very often. Really loving the Hinterlands expansion (curse you Ill Gotten Gains!)

Last Night on Earth
Mansions of Madness
Battlestar Galactica

These are games my group plays and we love them all. Though they aren't as easy as Catan and Ticket to Ride to play for newer players.

thanks for the recommendations man!

edit: wow checked out all 3 and they seem exactly what my group is looking for.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Man,

I've got that itch to buy an epic game that takes like 6 hours to play again.

Someone tell me it's a bad idea and I'll never actually get to play it.

I need an 'epic' game that plays in 3 hours or less. But not Eclipse. I played it once and found it way too random. Blargh.

Maybe Space Empire 4x.

Got some new games recently:

Dixit: This game is pretty fun but I'm a little perplexed the original only allows for 6 players. I don't like the voting system from Odyssey so I think I will have to make my own. The scoring is also a little odd and we have considered trying something else.

Dominion Prosperity+Cornucopia: I already have Base and Seaside so I got the other sets I really like. I worry that I am a lot better at this game than my friends. I have one friend that is pretty good at it and is fairly competitive but hasn't played nearly as much as I have. I'm excited about the new expansion but I wonder if it's worth it if there is going to be a huge skill gap.

Twilight Struggle: Played this twice with two different people also new to the game. Both games were close but I won both as USA. First game I almost lost to Europe control but I held on with Poland and scored big in other regions. Second game felt more even and I won with some good scoring cards in the last turn. We all like the game especially my friend who is a history buff. The game is more complex than other games I own but the rules are pretty sensible and the mechanics are well integrated with the theme.

I also picked up Inns and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders from Barnes and Noble clearance. Haven't had a chance to play with those yet.

Twilight Struggle: Played this twice with two different people also new to the game. Both games were close but I won both as USA. First game I almost lost to Europe control but I held on with Poland and scored big in other regions. Second game felt more even and I won with some good scoring cards in the last turn. We all like the game especially my friend who is a history buff. The game is more complex than other games I own but the rules are pretty sensible and the mechanics are well integrated with the theme.

Over a year ago, when my friend and I started our little board game group, this was the first game we ever played - the first game I ever bought. And the only reason I bought is was because it was 2p and the #1 ranked game. Now, I had played plenty of casual over-the-counter board games over the years, but nothing like this. So I almost immediately didn't like it. I found it dry and hard to understand, and after that first night I haven't touched it since. But now after more than a solid year of board gaming under my belt, with many games being pretty heavy, I'm thinking maybe I should give TS another go.

Now, on the opposite side of the spectrum, I just ordered Revolver! Looks to be a pretty cool head-to-head card game. Drakkenstrike liked it a lot and it was only $25 on Amazon, so why not.

Man,

I need an 'epic' game that plays in 3 hours or less. But not Eclipse. I played it once and found it way too random. Blargh.

Maybe Space Empire 4x.
Merchants and Marauders? Plays in 3 hours or less. Players get to choose which path to take. Multiple rumors and missions keep games feeling different.

I was not feeling Space Empire 4x. The upkeep at the end of every turn killed it for me and I didn't fell like I knew what I was doing for 90% of the game.

fenners

Anyone have any experience with the PC version of Ticket to Ride? It's the daily deal on Steam, just $5.

It's... Basic. Presentation/interface are fine, work well. You've got multiplayer access & single player play against AI (no options to change level of AI as far as I can tell & it's easy to beat). All the maps/expansions are DLC - you'll get the basic North America map & nothing more in the $5 game.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Merchants and Marauders? Plays in 3 hours or less. Players get to choose which path to take. Multiple rumors and missions keep games feeling different.

I was not feeling Space Empire 4x. The upkeep at the end of every turn killed it for me and I didn't fell like I knew what I was doing for 90% of the game.

That's mostly the problem I feel with 90% of games that try and recapture the feel of PC games I love.

They work on a PC because the game can automate the upkeep.

having an actual sheet to keep track of shit is probably more than most of my friends would ever put up with, but I liked the idea of removing the multiple victory paths. I liked that they just focused the economic engine/empire building into building an army and wrecking shop as the only way to win.

4x games are probably my favorite PC genre, but I can't find a game that works for me in the board game world.

Man,

Maybe Space Empire 4x.

A game that takes 6 hours to play just doesn't interest me in all. I would rather play a couple of different games in that time. Plus good luck finding anyone to play with.

Neverfade

First play of Eclipse probably happening tonight. Tempering expectations, cause its been since Troyes since I've been blown away by anything. Hoping for the best.

First play of Eclipse probably happening tonight. Tempering expectations, cause its been since Troyes since I've been blown away by anything. Hoping for the best.

We played our first game last week (3p) and loved it. One player really loved it. Unfortunately game-night isn't happening this week, but we're looking forward to next week and hopefully a 4th player.

I'm trying to hold off judgement until I get a few more play-throughs in, but it seemed pretty great to me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I have an order that I'm just waiting on 7W: Cities for:

-7 Wonders: Cities Expansion
-Eclipse
-Ghost Stories: Black Secret Expansion
-Summoner Wars Master Set

7 Wonders: Cities
Eclipse: whatever the expansion is called
Kingdom Builder: Capitols
Kingdom Builder: Nomads
Mage Knight

I've got a few months before it shows up, which means I've got a few months to come up with a good story for the missus :)

mercviper

7 Wonders: Cities
Eclipse: whatever the expansion is called
Kingdom Builder: Capitols
Kingdom Builder: Nomads
Mage Knight

I've got a few months before it shows up, which means I've got a few months to come up with a good story for the missus :)

Aww shiiiiiiet. The expansion is up for pre-order? Guess I'm making another CSI Order :x

edit: Add me to the $100 CSI impulse buy group :x

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bums me out that I had to remove Netrunner from the order since it was going to delay things too much. Oh well, guess I'll have to make another big order in a couple months. :D

Speaking of which, probably time for another mini ebay-selling spree to clear out come room. (It's not even really space so much as I hate having games around that I know I'm very likely never going to play. Kind of like culling a music library it's sometimes nice having only the good stuff and new stuff around.

Petrie

Banned
So I have an unopened copy of Arkham Horror I still need to learn. Is there a good resource online to help me or am I better off just reading the rules and playing? I often hear it's really complex.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So I have an unopened copy of Arkham Horror I still need to learn. Is there a good resource online to help me or am I better off just reading the rules and playing? I often hear it's really complex.

Arkham is intimidating but really not all that complicated at its core. If you want to learn it, what I do is set aside 2 or 3 hours, pull all the stuff out of the box and start to play by myself. I don't really read the rules ahead of time, just a quick skim. Then I constantly have to reference the rules as I go. Within a few rounds you'll have a decent grasp on it, and then you can actually read the rulebook and then play again by yourself.

Personally I can't just read through the rules without context, especially in a game like this.

Arkham is intimidating but really not all that complicated at its core. If you want to learn it, what I do is set aside 2 or 3 hours, pull all the stuff out of the box and start to play by myself. I don't really read the rules ahead of time, just a quick skim. Then I constantly have to reference the rules as I go. Within a few rounds you'll have a decent grasp on it, and then you can actually read the rulebook and then play again by yourself.

Personally I can't just read through the rules without context, especially in a game like this.

Do this. It's one of those games where it's just better to play through it instead of trying to understand it just from the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom